Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2024, 10:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Exter HY-CNG Duo with dual cylinder tech launched at Rs 8.50 lakh

Hyundai has announced the launch of the Exter HY-CNG Duo with Dual Cylinder CNG technology. It is available in three variants: S, SX and Knight SX, priced from Rs 8,50,300 (ex-showroom).

Hyundai Exter HY-CNG Duo with dual cylinder tech launched at Rs 8.50 lakh-whatsapp-image-20240716-10.12.17-am.jpeg

The Hyundai Exter CNG is available in both dual-cylinder and single-cylinder versions. The former is equipped with two CNG cylinders with a total capacity of 60 litres. This setup helps liberate usable luggage space in the boot.

The Exter CNG comes equipped with a whole host of features, such as an electric sunroof, LED DRLs & taillights, automatic climate control and an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system. Safety features include 6 airbags, TPMS, ESC, Hill-Start Assist Control and more.

The Exter CNG is powered by a 1.2-litre petrol engine that produces 68 BHP and 95.2 Nm when running on CNG. The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox and is said to deliver a fuel efficiency of 27.1 km/kg.

Hyundai’s factory-fitted CNG system comes with a 3-year warranty.

Hyundai Exter CNG ex-showroom prices:

• S – Rs 8,50,300
  • SX – Rs 9,23,300
  • Knight SX – Rs 9,38,200

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by TusharK : 16th July 2024 at 10:53.
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 11:36   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Exter HY-CNG Duo with dual cylinder tech launched at Rs 8.50 lakh

The Exter doesn't seem to be taking off as expected despite being one of the hottest segments.

For me its the oddball styling that puts me off. Other than that it looks like great package with good interiors and great features (bit expensive but comparable to the Punch I guess)
ZenMaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 16:39   #3
BHPian

Makes the vehicle even more practical with a usable boot space.
Unfortunately it does not have an under floor mounted spare wheel like the Tata Punch / Nexon CNG models. Only a Tyre mobility kit is available.
123.rishabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 16:57   #4
BHPian

The Exter was a feature loaded package from Hyundai, but it was losing its market share (it was at the 20th position in monthly sales). It's a good move by Hyundai to introduce the Exter CNG to boost sales. Hopefully, it helps Hyundai keep the Exter in the Top 20 chart for a longer period.
It's Magic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 17:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
The Exter doesn't seem to be taking off as expected despite being one of the hottest segments.

For me its the oddball styling that puts me off. Other than that it looks like great package with good interiors and great features (bit expensive but comparable to the Punch I guess)

The styling actually looks very good in person. I saw it parked one day and despite being small, it still looked premium and cute.
Old 16th July 2024, 18:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Hyundai Exter CNG is available in both dual-cylinder and single-cylinder versions. The former is equipped with two CNG cylinders with a total capacity of 60 litres.
A 30ltr water capacity CNG can hold 9-10kg of CNG max. In effect it gives a 250-450kms extra range for single/double CNG tanks.

And for those who wonder why single or double - the tank of each EMPTY tank is immense and the 2nd tank can make the car look like a aeroplane taking off - rear dunked fully and front nose pointing up. The rear suspension springs will be beefy by at least 1mm thicker dia to compensate for the additional weight in rear.

Personally I will go for the max CNG if I had a choice.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 19:55   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have never used CNG car before. The drawback with CNG is the long waiting time and queue for tank fill ups.

How is this 2 cylinder setup different than the one in Tata cars?
With 2 cylinder setup, is it possible to just fill one cylinder to reduce fill up time and queue? One tank fill ups mean more visit to fuel pump, but if wait time is less then one tank fills might be worth it.
Old 16th July 2024, 20:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

I try not to comment on how cars look as design is subjective. BUT the Exter's design is arguably one of Hyundai's poorest efforts in recent years. This bland and uninspired design is indeed a departure from Hyundai's usual sporty modern design language, and it's hard to imagine any car enthusiast being drawn to this unremarkable exterior.

It's as if the design brief was to create a car that would fail to attract attention, lest it steal sales from the more expensive Venue. Unfortunately, the Exter's unappealing aesthetic appears to have succeeded in its mission, making it a hard sell for potential buyers even just a few months since launch.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 22:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
A 30ltr water capacity CNG can hold 9-10kg of CNG max. In effect it gives a 250-450kms extra range for single/double CNG tanks.
Not sure how you got the maximum CNG capacity. I have a 55L CNG cylinder in my Hyryder CNG, and it could never hold more than 8 kg of CNG. This comes after travelling 42,XXX km in just over a year and filling at various CNG pumps. The maximum range would also come down accordingly.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 22:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Not going to lie I hated the Exters design despite owning what is the most controversial looking Creta ever. But like my Creta I've ended up liking the odd ball styling. Makes it look different than its competition and there's no mistaking it for anything else, just like the Creta.

I think if Hyundai had kept the Santro around the potential Santro customers would have ended up booking the Exter once entering the showroom. My uncle did the switch from his Santro AMT to Exter AMT. I was surprised by the space on offer inside the Exter. Uncle says long drives more comfortable in the Exter and no worrying about underbody clearance on potholes.

Personally I prefer the Exter in lighter colours. The dark colours make it look even smaller than it actually is. Managed to snap this at a parking lot of a clothing store in Udupi last month.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Exter HY-CNG Duo with dual cylinder tech launched at Rs 8.50 lakh-20240623_151616.jpg  

Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 14:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I try not to comment on how cars look as design is subjective. BUT the Exter's design is arguably one of Hyundai's poorest efforts in recent years.
This is only bested by their superbly designed Aura! Every time I see one, I feel like how can someone choose that voluntarily. The design language seems secondary to making the design busy with hundreds of undulations, creases, lights etc.
Old 18th July 2024, 18:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hyundai has announced the launch of the Exter HY-CNG Duo with Dual Cylinder CNG technology. It is available in three variants: S, SX and Knight SX, priced from Rs 8,50,300 (ex-showroom)
Hyundai and Mahindra are all out with guns blazing to occupy the number 2 position in the Indian Car Market. Hyundai wants the number to prove themselves in the IPO whereas Mahindra wants the number since they are launching their much awaited 5 door Thar. Its interesting since the stock level at the dealership level is all time high and the demand doesn't seem to be picking up since January 2024. I inquired for multiple cars and I'm seeing a very very tempting discount.
Exter dual cylinder CNG will surely affect the Tata Punch CNG sales since the Tata Motors after sales service still remains a gamble.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks