Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2024, 00:00   #61
BHPian

Re: June 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I am not too surprised by the decline in the Safari and Harrier numbers for Tata and I don't think that having a petrol version would have resulted in a major jump. I think that with all the stuff being written about the niggles in freshly baked Tata products (most of which is justified), the word has got out and potential buyers are just being more circumspect about the facelifts. Maybe the numbers will improve over time if not too many issues crop up in the facelifts.

One other thing that may be driving potential buyers off may be the cost. Having recently bought a pre-facelift Safari, I was amazed to see the quantum by which Tata has increased the price for similar variants in the facelift. The top of the line Safari facelift comes at about 3 mil OTR or a little more in Calcutta, and there is no 4x4 option even then. If you compare with the XUV700 prices, the Safari is costlier (even more so now, after Mahindra's price cut). Plus there are still QC issues which I have detailed in my ownership thread (you can read it here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5780943 (2023 Tata Safari Adventure Edition Review)). Mahindra's vehicles may not be niggle free either, but Tata already has a bad reputation for its niggles and the company is not doing itself any favours by not being able to solve the QC issues that dog its two flagship cars. While I am a repeat customer of Tata (I maintain that fit and finish aside, the fundamentals of their vehicles are superb) even I did not have the courage to pick up the facelift and went for the pre-facelift version instead. Also, I do not have the confidence to recommend Tata cars to friends and family wholeheartedly, since I can never be sure that they'll have a great experience.

Most people have forgotten the issues that the new Mahindra cars had with DPF and electronics and we hardly read about them any more - Tata should immediately resolve the gaps in their QC processes if they want their flagship cars to be a hit in the market.
Neversaygbye is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 01:59   #62
BHPian

What an irony with model overlaps. Toyota Innova sells at 9k while the replica with Maruthi badges Invicto doing <200 (2% of its original avatar).
harishpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 02:35   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanova View Post
Nissan Magnite selling 2x the Kiger is surprising. Renault has better brand value, more no of showrooms and after sales, but still how is it possible?
When I test drove Magnite and Kiger, it was immediately evident to me that the ergonomics on Magnite were better. Even the available space was better on Magnite. Everyone from my family liked the rear seat on Magnite better because of the extra room and a feeling of being in a larger space.
So I went with Magnite CVT and bought it last year. I'm sure many people are making the same decisions.
vamsi.vadrevu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 11:10   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Nissan Magnite selling 2x the Kiger is surprising. Renault has better brand value, more no of showrooms and after sales, but still how is it possible?
The Kiger is about 50-60K more expensive than the Magnite depending on variants, so VFM conscious people are definitely going to swing by the Magnite.
jomyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 14:54   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
We tend to forget that the Nexon is heading into it's 8th year and is kept relevant in the market by it's timely refreshes. 11k+ units monthly is truly impressive despite the competition. Big thanks to the stellar X1 platform.

Harrier/Safari needs a petrol engine option like 2 years ago! With more and more people switching over from diesels, it's staggering not offering a petrol option.
The Nexon story is undeniably that of success - the turnaround car for Tata after years and years of trying…As far as Harrier and Safari are concerned, I think TaMo have themselves (possibly out of primary research) stated that they are targeting the long distance driving customer who will undoubtedly go diesel. Maybe with the advent of XUV700 and the Thar, they’ve realised that they have alienated the urban SUV customer who is happy with petrol. Even more so if you think of NCR. That change in preference to petrol was coming to SUVs also but TaMo didn’t see it. Now, it ain’t easy to engineer a new motor ground up but time is ticking. Also, the diesel is also Fiat sourced and possibly EOL. So TaMo may be in the ICU on that front.

Now, with the UP govt announcing road tax waivers for hybrids (which will likely only benefit Maruti & Toyota) Tata has to simply hope that EVs take off in a big way as they skipped hybrids all together.

Many on the forum have mentioned that a petrol option will only add so much to their figures. A few will point to lack of 4X4 or RWD like its predecessors, or a departure from ladder on frame to monocoque that has not gone well with the enthusiasts. My own sense is that it’s difficult to pin point a single reason for subdued sales. Perhaps it’s the unforgiving nature of the Indian market - once a car loses sales momentum it rarely comes back into the reckoning of the Indian buyer…

Last edited by navinmra : 11th July 2024 at 15:06.
navinmra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 15:09   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStoryweaver View Post
Harrier and safari loosing steam since a past few months. Whereas the M&M stable in similar segment is still holding fort.
Harrier and Safari facelift are expensive in the top trims! For the same price you can buy 4x4 in XUV700 and Scorpio N respectively.

June 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-c.png
sunilarkt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 15:24   #67
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

SEDANS

Amaze - A small drop in sales, but I think that is the least of Honda India's worries currently.

City - For the first time I can remember, the City is doing triple digit numbers. The fact that this is their bread and butter model makes this all the more worrying.

Verna - Nothing much to say here. A slight uptick in sales, but the numbers that it's doing is pretty poor for Hyundai.

Aura - On it's own, it's doing well for itself, considering the segment it's in. However, when you pitch it up against the Dzire, it suddenly makes the Hyundai's numbers look puny.

Ciaz - The 3rd worst performing Maruti. Triple digit numbers are poor for a car that has so much potential.

Dzire - Over 10K sales in this segment is a crazy feat in these times, and hats off to Maruti. No doubt aided by the cabbies.

Slavia + Virtus - Averaging about 1.5K sales a month. Nothing much to say here.

Superb - A few dispatches to select dealerships crying in the corner. The only relaunched Superb I have seen is in the advertisement near Juhu Circle.

Tigor - Tata's guinea pig for new ideas is doing better than the Aura, worse than the Dzire. Is the XPressT included in these numbers?

Overall, its an average month for sedan sales.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th July 2024 at 22:45. Reason: Typo
JunkyardHunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 00:58   #68
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinmra View Post

Now, with the UP govt announcing road tax waivers for hybrids (which will likely only benefit Maruti & Toyota) Tata has to simply hope that EVs take off in a big way as they skipped hybrids all together.
I don't think the hybrid sales are anything to write home about, with or without the rebates. Maruti are shifting the ice versions, the hybrids aren't really moving despite the massive discounts. For what was launched as a Creta rival the sales have been lagging. Once the Creta EV comes watch the sales gap grow even further.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 11:56   #69
BHPian

Not good sales figures of EV is disappointing. India is missing out on the future. Maybe still battery issues remain.
carsirdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 15:40   #70

Quote:
The magnite is comparatively cheaper than Kiger especially turbo variants. The base variant of Magnite comparively better features. The top variant is not only cheaper than kiger but also provides important features like 360 camera and nissan connectivity apps and also additional warranties.
Refan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 23:02   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsirdar View Post
Not good sales figures of EV is disappointing. India is missing out on the future. Maybe still battery issues remain.
Battery tech is the least of the issues. It comes down to higher initial cost, poor charging infrastructure and range anxiety.
navinmra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 02:53   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
We tend to forget that the Nexon is heading into it's 8th year and is kept relevant in the market by it's timely refreshes. 11k+ units monthly is truly impressive despite the competition. Big thanks to the stellar X1 platform.

Harrier/Safari needs a petrol engine option like 2 years ago! With more and more people switching over from diesels, it's staggering not offering a petrol option.
Nexon needs an iCNG to give Brezza a run for it's money. I don't know when Tata will wake up and release the Harrier and Safari petrol version. This is now really a sore point. Very few diesel takers right now.
Old 13th July 2024, 15:30   #73
gus
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Magic View Post
The Tata Punch is back to regain its number 1 spot, pushing the Maruti Swift to number 2. The Tata Punch is really fighting it out for the number 1 spot with Maruti.
IMO Swift is still the number one selling car because Punch's number combine bot ICE and EV engines.
Old 13th July 2024, 15:50   #74
BHPian

Great to see vehicle sales by manufacturer wise, body type wise, category wise etc.

Can the monthly vehicle sales be also shared by safety rating wise ?

If monthly sales can be provided for vehicles having safety rating - 5 star, 4 star and so on. This will help to gauge the customer preference for safe cars.
Old 13th July 2024, 16:23   #75
gus
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
There was a report last month that FADA was saying there was high inventory of vehicles across dealerships. Expecting numbers shipped from factory to drop in coming month(s).

[url=https://www.business-standard.com/industry/auto/fada-raises-alarm-over-rising-inventory-levels-seeks-siams-intervention-124061400955_1.html]

MG is fast catching up with Honda. It has a bigger portfolio than Honda. Nissan-Renault and VW-Skoda are higher than Honda. With just 3 models being sold, and Amaze and City getting old, Honda is really struggling. If one looks at last month's number and this month's, City's numbers has dropped while Elevate's has gone up by roughly around same number. So people visiting Honda showroom are opting for Elevate instead of City. Elevate is cannibalizing City. Better to be cannibalized by own product than others. However, it doesn't seem to be drawing people away from Kia/Creta/VW/Skoda SUVs. Hope Honda does something more to stay relevant in Indian market.
I am not sure why Honda skipped the hybrid engine option for Elevate, if it were there it would be doing at least twice its current numbers. It pains when good companies make poor decisions.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks