Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2024, 14:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki now offers extended warranty for 6 years / 1.6 lakh km

Maruti Suzuki has announced new standard and extended warranty packages for all its vehicles.

Maruti Suzuki now offers extended warranty for 6 years / 1.6 lakh km-2023marutifronx01-1.jpg

The standard warranty has been revised from 2 years / 40,000 km to 3 years / 1,00,000 km. It will be applicable on all vehicles delivered from July 9, 2024. It covers the engine, transmission, mechanical components, electric & air conditioning systems; excluding consumables.

Maruti Suzuki is now offering extended warranty options for up to 6 years / 1,60,000 km (whichever is earlier).

Customers can choose from three packages:
  • Platinum: Extended warranty up to 4th year / 1,20,000 km.
  • Royal Platinum: Extended warranty up to 5th year / 1,40,000 km
  • Solitaire: Extended warranty up to 6th year / 1,60,000 km

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 15:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki now offers extended warranty for 6 years / 1.6 lakh km

Can existing customers who already have extended warranty for 5 years opt for 6th year extended warranty now. Vehicle is 21 months old. Thanks.
vvrchandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 15:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Maruti Suzuki has announced new standard and extended warranty packages for all its vehicles.
Better late than never!

Maruti had been dragging with this 2 years standard warranty for way to long when the industry was already on 3 years.

Also good to see that the extended warranty can be opted for 6 years.

Better sense prevailing in the industry!
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 19:05   #4
BHPian

Is this applicable on Nexa cars as well?
Old 9th July 2024, 19:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am expecting the delivery of my new Swift soon. I was told by the dealer that they are awaiting official communication from MSIL.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 10:43   #6
BHPian

They should extend this offer to existing customers also. I had opted for 5 years/1,00,000 KM warranty which will end in September 2024.
Old 10th July 2024, 12:46   #7

This is awesome news from the Market Leader. A tad too late but welsome! Would be even better if they can match the 10 year warranty offered by Honda.

This is almost like a dare to Tata and Mahindra to match up.

I had an Alto 800 for 10 years, ran some 50K Kms in the city. Absolutely no issues apart from wear and tear (Tyres, Battery and front suspension). If the cheapest car on the market can run mechanically niggle free, I'd expect a 15 Lakh car from Tata or Mahindra to be better in the longer term.
jerk_free is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 16:58   #8

Finally good move from Maruti to cope with the competition. Should consider the existing customers as well.
Old 11th July 2024, 00:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Warranty is like life insurance. Better not invoked, but good to have, just in case.

Automobile warranty atleast in India, is of 2 types - manufacturer warranty (MW) usually 2-3 years & Extended Warranty (EW) which is usually a dealer thing & takes over after MW expires & can be had till 3rd/4th/5th year.

Now, a warranty is basically a reflection of the confidence the manufacturer has in their product. And something they would rather not see invoked, because it then means their product is shoddy.

We have bought many cars (all Suzuki) & bikes (Bajaj, Tvs, Honda, Yamaha) in the last 40 years, but have never ever bought EW for any of them.

Actually EW is a recent thing that’s maybe 2 decades old - before that there used to be only MW.

The way I see it is :
1) If you are buying a proven & reliable automobile, say a Japanese brand, not only is the EW needless, but a waste of money. Japanese autos with just the normal service schedule adhered to, will have no problems in 5 years of ownership, if not more.

And in the rare case that you encounter an issue, the dealer will quote some fineprint & avoid honouring the EW commitment.

2) Now if you are buying a brand known for niggles & issues just after driving it out of the showroom (say Tata, M&M, Europeans etc), get EW for as long as possible. If there are issues, it will prove useful. And usually dealers honour the EW - atleast Tata does.

I bought a ₹24L Suzuki GrandVitara Hybrid 10 months ago & just as I did while buying my 2005 Baleno_1.6, I crossed out the EW part in the invoice.

Japanese cars don’t need EW. And I say this after using multiple Suzuki cars from our 1985 M800 to our 2007 Swift for atleast 15 years each, without ever having to invoke warranty.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th July 2024 at 00:40.
supremeBaleno is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 08:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Japanese cars don’t need EW. And I say this after using multiple Suzuki cars from our 1985 M800 to our 2007 Swift for atleast 15 years each, without ever having to invoke warranty.
One important thing to consider is the cost of repair in modern cars - especially those that come with auto transmissions or hybrid tech or fancy electronics. These cars come with components that are not easy to repair and if they fail, they end up costing as much as 50-60% of the cost of the car to replace.

Older Japanese cars were definitely reliable (I had a Alto 800 for 10 years with no issues) but at the same time, it was dirt cheap to repair.

Ideally a good manufacturer must provide 5+ years minimum. Lexus is now offering 8 years warranty as standard. Lexus/Toyotas are already known for extreme durability but still they are providing 8 years warranty out of the box.

I wish
  1. More manufacturers can commit to long warranties out of the box
  2. Govt brings in policies to ensure cars can stay on roads for 20 years (no planned obsolescence) - like mandating service and spares support from manufacturers.
jerk_free is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 11:44   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is a great relief for new Maruti owners who rely on authorized service on the long-term.
I'm surprised that nobody questioned them so far and survived in India with such a small standard warranty of 40K km, one of the lowest in the world?

Also this will take a toll on dealer revenue and profits, wagonR in our family had crazy repair bills from maruti especially on the post-warranty bills.

Total service cost for the car, all through the maruti service are as follows:

First 50K km : 25K INR.
50-78K km : 53K INR

Total : 78K INR for 78K km excluding battery and tyres. The bills went up high with multiple repairs and part failures repeatedly after warranty.
TorqueIndia is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2024, 18:37   #12
BHPian

Below is the official url to check price details for new extended warranty scheme.

https://www.marutisuzuki.com/service/extended-warranty

There has been some change in nomenclature as well. Erstwhile Royal platinum (3 years extended warranty) is now for 2 years only.

Solitaire will be the right plan if one is opting for 3+3 years. There is slight increase in price as well. The cost for 3 years extended warranty was earlier around ₹25.5k which will now be close to ₹29k inclusive of GST as per above link.
abhi_tjet is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks