Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2024, 09:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lane Keep Assist still not available on Harrier/Safari

This comes from one of my friends who purchased a Harrier facelift with ADAS in early November last year. He's very happy with the way the car looks, road presence, power from 2.0 Litre engine and interior space. He is also frustrated with few electronic niggles (memory seat failure, passenger side ventilated seat not working, Auto Hold malfunctions etc.). However he was aware of these trade-offs and has made peace with it.

However, he is extremely frustrated that the Lane Keep Assist feature has still not been enabled for him by Tata. During delivery, he was promised that the lane keep assist feature would be later enabled via a software update. His monthly travel includes around 2K Kms exclusively on the Samruddhi Mahamarg and he desperately misses the LKA function. He has driven a Hector facelift with ADAS, my Seltos facelift on the same highway and used the LKA function extensively. I too agree on such undivided highways the LKA and Lane follow assist functions on my car definitely make it very easy, safe to navigate long distances and feel sorry for my friend.

He now intends to move to the legal route and asks me/TBhp members if the same is right way? If not, is there any aftermarket accessory/vendor who can enable the LKA?

Are there any other instances where the manufacturer promised a certain feature only to be never offered for a customer? Personally, I am shocked that the LKA is still not enabled by Tata even for new Harrier/Safaris. What's stopping them? Are they not confident about it/or the new steering setup?

Last edited by 07CR : 9th July 2024 at 09:38.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 13:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Lane Keep Assist still not available on Harrier/Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Are there any other instances where the manufacturer promised a certain feature only to be never offered for a customer? Personally, I am shocked that the LKA is still not enabled by Tata even for new Harrier/Safaris. What's stopping them? Are they not confident about it/or the new steering setup?
For Tatas to not have LKA even on top variants is not good for brand value.

There is no legal case if it is not offered in black and white.

LKA is a very complex system that improves ADAS features. It depends heavily on camera and lidar sensors. Even a small lag in processing and internal communication can be fatal on highways. These are classified as safety critical and there are stringent norms to be complied with. Even if the software is developed by the manufacturer the system will need to be trained for the dynamics of each vehicle. This training and of the algorithm is the most time consuming process.

Yes it can be released as a software update in future if necessary components are in place. ADAS is not something that can be installed aftermarket it is not just a software with a set of sensors.

I'll suggest to wait and watch. If LKA was a necessary feature then Harrier/Safari was not a good choice in anticipation of a feature release.

Last edited by HillMan : 9th July 2024 at 13:26.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 13:43   #3
BHPian

Tata Motors clearly says only Lane Departure warning and Lane Change Alert are present in SAFARI, no LKA offered so far.

The 10 ADAS features available with SAFARI are :

Forward collision warning,
Autonomous emergency braking,
High beam assist,
Lane departure warning,
Lane change alert,
Blind spot detection,
Door open alert,
Traffic sign recognition,
Rear cross-traffic alert and
Rear collision warning.

Lane Keep Assist still not available on Harrier/Safari-screenshot-20240709-120158.png
Tata Motors

ADAS variants starts at 23.49L
Old 9th July 2024, 16:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Tata Motors clearly says only Lane Departure warning and Lane Change Alert are present in SAFARI, no LKA offered so far.

Attachment 2625404
Tata Motors
There is this small matter of Tata Harrier offering a button on their Steering wheel to activate LKA . So what they do on their website is of no concern to current owners.
bhaskaracs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 17:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
LKA is a very complex system that improves ADAS features. It depends heavily on camera and lidar sensors. Even a small lag in processing and internal communication can be fatal on highways. These are classified as safety critical and there are stringent norms to be complied with. Even if the software is developed by the manufacturer the system will need to be trained for the dynamics of each vehicle. This training and of the algorithm is the most time consuming process.
Thanks, my friend was of the opinion that such feature could be turned on just like we have seen cruise control being fitted in Ecosport lower variants by FORSCAN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
They might claim so, but I distinctly remember media channels quoting that Tata Motors has mentioned that LKA would soon be available through a software update. Same was mentioned in Tbhp review-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
the lane keep assist button on the right bottom is not active yet. Tata is still in the final stages of fine-tuning the system and will probably introduce it next year.
Also the dealership did mention the same when the car was being sold. Availability of Lane Keep assist button on the steering wheel also confirms that the feature could be provided via software update, makes no sense of providing this button otherwise. The agonizing wait for this feature has made him frustrated. IMO Tata should atleast provide an ETA for this to be activated.
Old 9th July 2024, 18:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
He now intends to move to the legal route and asks me/TBhp members if the same is right way? If not, is there any aftermarket accessory/vendor who can enable the LKA?
Thank you so much for starting this thread.

I too have a facelifted Safari (Accomplished + 6S) and it is very disheartening that Tata has not lived upto its promise of providing lane keep assist via a software update.

I remember at the time of launch, there were numerous news reports which stated that the facelifted variants will get lane keep assist via software update (including one on team-bhp: https://www.team-bhp.com/news/tata-h...oftware-update).

While software updates keep on coming (I have received around 4 since I got the car in February 2024), the wait for the lane keep assist continues. This is nothing but a legal case waiting to happen.

Best,
Enigmatic
Enigmatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 21:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Typical Tata system of poor planning and integration and boy, they haven't learnt from the days they fitted a hydraulic power steering on the pre facelift and could not offer any steering related ADAS features. The ADAS features that they currently offer are the ones which are easy to integrate and get going with minimal testing. However, lane keep assist requires a lot of tuning of the controller and the EPS to get it right. That's going to take a lot of testing hours and that's not what Tata is famous for Hence there would be a delay in launching this since folks at TaMo will be trying to let the supplier do this job and vice versa.

It will come some day, but should have been there from the beginning itself, if they had to learn a thing or two from brother Mahindra. Testing efforts between the companies is the main difference and reason.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks