Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2024, 09:21   #46
BHPian

Re: No road tax for hybrids in UP?

Hey Guys,
We just purchased a Innova hycross in UP on 8th july and paid the road tax will we get refund of the tax? is there refund process for cars bought after 1st july? any help will be appreciated.
Old 12th July 2024, 09:29   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Will this help improve charging infra - No.
Will this help get battery manufacturing - No.

Spending such a money on EV public transport would have been a prudent decision.

We are getting more bigger cars with hybrids, not smaller cars.
Do you really believe that if government earmarks this money for making EV public transport or charging infra, that money will be well utilized?

The efficiency of money by government of India is around 15% only . That means if govt spends 100 rupees to do something, 85 of those get lost in between (cuts of government babus and politicians).

This is why tax cuts are way more effective than government utilising that money. The less money in the hands of corrupt government the better.

Last edited by darkgamer : 12th July 2024 at 09:30.
darkgamer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 09:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully this move spurs some more options (from the limited ones) in the strong hybrid space, not to mention some launches in the plug in hybrid space too. Going by segments (starting with the B segment) such drivetrains as a percentage of the total market offerings remain miniscule
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 11:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Came across this article on CNBC

UP Govt’s hybrid vehicle tax waiver not for all cars - conditions apply

Days after announcing a complete waiver on road tax for hybrid cars, the Uttar Pradesh government is likely to issue a clarification. In the next few days, the UP transport department will specify a vehicle price range for the road tax waiver and any hybrid car which costs more than the price range would not be eligible.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 11:53   #50
BHPian

I am now waiting for "hybrid" models to start showing up from the leaders of innovation in the Indian auto industry with a "regular" petrol engine and a 1 Kw cell, under the moniker of "very mild hybrid"
Contrapunto is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 09:42   #51
Team-BHP Support

Please use dedicated thread for discussions about EV vs Hybrids

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...y-today-6.html (EV vs Hybrid - Which is a better buy today?)
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 10:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
I am now waiting for "hybrid" models to start showing up from the leaders of innovation in the Indian auto industry with a "regular" petrol engine and a 1 Kw cell, under the moniker of "very mild hybrid"
It was a very lucrative scam for the no.1 player by calling a stop/start system a hybrid. Made lots of money till the government cancelled it, and now they cry foul. The irony!
shortbread is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 19:32   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
It was a very lucrative scam for the no.1 player by calling a stop/start system a hybrid. Made lots of money till the government cancelled it, and now they cry foul. The irony!
I feel it's is the fault of the Government Babus for not defining cleaely what "hybrid" means in the FAME hybrid incentives fiasco. Our Babus repeatedly make these kind of mistakes, of being imprecise, and unclear on detail and specifics. In my opinion, this is a defensive culture developed by the beaurocrats, where one can take shelter in the ambiguity, should the tide turn and the statements and notifications be challenged by various parties. Being broad and imprecise allows the authors to take shelter under the variability of interpretation - it is like kicking the can down the road in many ways. Also, in the first place, I feel the Babus do not have a natural inclination for numbers, formulae, fact- based scientific reasoning and thinking.

My theory is that if you take the top, most britlliant 0.1% of our youngsters, the most analytically and numerically oriented go towards IITs and top engoneering schools, those more oriented to Sciences go towards medical education or top research schools IISc or IISERs, those with a high grasp for numbers and finance go into CA ir MBA Finance stream, and those who do not have much of an inclination for science, math, numbers etc., but love literature, language and liberal arts go on to the best Arts and Sciences colleges.

This last lot dominate our Civil Services, such as IAS officials. These are the people who write government policies and notifications. They are not naturally inclined to numerical precision and raw scientific thinking. They are more likely to focus on the headlines and direction of policies, rather than the nitty gritty formulae and scientific facts at the lowest level required to provide bullet-proof clarity for those implementing the policy. This, combined with the convenience of imprecision described above, result in policies that can be interpreted in different ways to advantage the party doing the interpreting.

I wish the first hybrid FAME incentives policy had been scientifically and clearly written - for example, "To qualify for incentives, the car should satisfy the following criteria:
  • The system voltage should be at least 150 V AND
  • The battery capacity should be at least 0.5 KWHr AND
  • There should be an electric motor that can produce peak power of at least 50KW assisting the main internal cobustion engine as part of thr overall powertrain system AND
  • The car should be able move based on battery power without engine being started for at least 500 meters when fully charged

Then, the carmakers would not have had a chance to cheat the incentive system. By keeping the policy vague, thr government lost money, strong hybrids lost their reputation and the unetuical manufacturers profited unduly.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th July 2024 at 19:46.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 00:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I feel it's is the fault of the Government Babus for not defining cleaely what "hybrid" means in the FAME hybrid incentives fiasco. Our Babus repeatedly make these kind of mistakes, of being imprecise, and unclear on detail and specifics. In my opinion, this is a defensive culture developed by the beaurocrats, where one can take shelter in the ambiguity,
It's an easy escape laying all the faults at the feet of the politicians. They had good intentions to assist the industry introduce new technology and help negate the costs. Call it whatever but the government's intentions were noble. If I had one gripe against the then government, it's that they didn't take maruti to task over this fraud. Similar to what the current government did in regards to the FAME subsidies denied to chinese two wheeler assemblers.

I understand that the bureaucrats failed to plug loopholes when designing the incentive. But what excuse does maruti have? Looking at their R&D spend, path breaking technology isn't their thing, but couldn't they differentiate between a stop start motor and hybrid powertrains? They knew fully well what they were really up to.

Instead of introducing the technology a decade ago and becoming the torch bearer for hybrid tech on India, they decided to take the easy approach and make a quick buck, killed it then and there. Today they find refuge in Toyota instead of standing on their own two feet.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 07:59   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

A new twist in the tale - Today's Economic Times says the subsidies are only applicable to FAME 2 certified strong hybrid vehicles. I am not sure if any of our strong hybrids are FAME 2 certified? Could not find any certification details for the strong hybrids like Toyota Hyryder or Hycross on the web.
Attached Thumbnails
No road tax for hybrids in UP?-20240715_074518.jpg  

84.monsoon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 15:58   #56
BHPian

Quote:
A new twist in the tale - Today's Economic Times says the subsidies are only applicable to FAME 2 certified strong hybrid vehicles. I am not sure if any of our strong hybrids are FAME 2 certified? Could not find any certification details for the strong hybrids like Toyota Hyryder or Hycross on the web.
The local Nexa dealer says that the Noida RTO has paused all hybrids registrations since yesterday, certainly there is something cooking in the background.
Doge is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 17:06   #57
BHPian

Pretty appalling to see that the hybrid policy is getting scrapped within days of the announcement.
The Government really needs to take a quick decision. I have myself booked the Hycross Hybrid VX solely due to this concession. If it doesn't come, then i'll continue with my present Honda City.
Rohan1511 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 17:53   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan1511 View Post
Pretty appalling to see that the hybrid policy is getting scrapped within days of the announcement.
The Government really needs to take a quick decision. I have myself booked the Hycross Hybrid VX solely due to this concession. If it doesn't come, then i'll continue with my present Honda City.
Please update me on what your dealer says, I am in the same boat with respect to the Grand Vitara
Old 15th July 2024, 18:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

This is as expected, the govt at the centre would have vetoed.

Quote:
I am not sure if any of our strong hybrids are FAME 2 certified? Could not find any certification details for the strong hybrids like Toyota Hyryder or Hycross on the web.
This is what I found in FAME 2 website. The battery size mentions as 1.3kwh, our hybrids have 0.7kwh.

Looks like it went the same way as Chandigarh did last year as mentioned by @Turbanator.

No road tax for hybrids in UP?-screenshot_20240715_183050_adobe-acrobat.jpg
SKC-auto is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 20:11   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
This is as expected, the govt at the centre would have vetoed.

This is what I found in FAME 2 website. The battery size mentions as 1.3kwh, our hybrids have 0.7kwh.

Looks like it went the same way as Chandigarh did last year as mentioned by @Turbanator.
It seems the UP government got a back lash from the Centre and is forced to take back their hybrid vehicle registration benefits. Corporate lobbies are trying very very hard from both the sides. EV as well as hybrid will mostly benefit the Chinese in the long run since they have it readily available.
LMOO2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks