Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2024, 18:28   #16

Re: No road tax for hybrids in UP?

Good news, this means the next budget might offer some sops for Hybrid cars along with EVs. But this might also be done just by the UP government. Though EVs are the future Hybrids are the stop gap till we have good infra in place that would support that future.
Old 8th July 2024, 18:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
PS - What's the status for road tax for EVs or is it only for hybrids?
Tax exemption is for both EVs and Hybrids.
GTX+ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 19:02   #18
BHPian

It's over the news now, valid for registrations upto October 2025, for all hybrid and EVs.

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/toyota-...-12500773.html

Last edited by adrift@life : 8th July 2024 at 19:05. Reason: Added link
adrift@life is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 19:19   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

What about Mild hybrids? Are they also exempted ( 340i....)?
ssjr0498 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 20:50   #20
BHPian

UP definitely has some motor-heads at the policymaking level!
Yesterday read the news about them sponsoring HALF of MotoGP Bharat for 3 years, and now this!
QuentinTino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 21:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a very welcome move. I think more states should support such a move. World over, countries are realizing the vital role played hy strong hybrids and plug-in hybrids as an important interim zone on the way to full electrification.

India can save significantly on the oil import bill and also reduce pollution in our cities to a large extent by incentivising strong hybrids. Fuel consumption in urban driving cycles is almost half in the case of strong hybrids as compared to equalant naturally aspirated or turbocharge petrol engines.

I hope the budget provides GST incentive as well and more States go for concessional or zero road tax for strong hybrids, as this would then make the prices of hybrid cars even lower than equivalent ICE cars. This kind of significant push is needed at this crucial juncture, to tip the balance in favour hybrids and get the mass public to buy these amazing magical machines that defy conventional logic, to deliver 100% higher FE for only 15-20% higher upfront cost. A wide-spread move to strong hybrids will:

• Significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions as the strong hybrids replace ICE-engined cars
  • Reduce reliance on China for imports of large capacity batteries, by diverting some of the potential pure EV customers to buy strong hybrids
  • Reduce excessive load on our urban electrical generation and distribution networks due to sudden proliferation of full EVs
  • Reduce demand for "dirty electricity" made from our highly polluting coal-fired power plants, thereby helping our environment.
  • Reduce other particulate emissions as these hybrid cars replace diesel cars
  • Double incentives (low GST and zero Road Tax) work together to convince people holding on to very old and hihh-emisson cars, to finally turn in the clunker and get a modern strong hybrid, thereby removing these polluters off our roads
  • Significantly cut our Oil Import bills and make us less dependant on countries like Iran and Russia.
  • Slash noise pollution in cities as the strong hybrids run with the ICE engines off for nearly 50% of the time.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 8th July 2024 at 21:13.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 21:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Yes, indeed, this news seems to be true.

Of late I have been getting calls from various dealers, specially Honda for its City Hybrid, informing about this big saving.

FYI, City Hybrid has now savings upto 3 lac + with the registration tax waiver in UP.

Another source:

https://motoroctane.com/news/275371-...rid%20vehicles.
Can you share breakup of Honda City Hybrid prices with the said discounts?
Old 8th July 2024, 21:56   #23

This is a bitter sweet news for me. Bitter because we bought and registered our Lexus ES300h in May 2024 and paid almost 6.4 lakh tax on it. Had we waited for a month, that would have been a cool saving on it. But sweet because we are sure we’ll be adding another hybrid to the garage in the next 6 months - either Hycross or Hyryder. If this exemption is still there at that time, it will make going for Hycross a lot easier.
Old 8th July 2024, 22:04   #24
BHPian

What's the cheapest hybrid car one can buy to avail this incentive? Is there anything cheaper than Grand Vitara, Hyryder, City ?
Old 8th July 2024, 22:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman_tales View Post
What's the cheapest hybrid car one can buy to avail this incentive?
AFAIK the cheapest hybrid car in india is Toyota Hyryder S variant.
Quote:
Is there anything cheaper than Grand Vitara, Hyryder, City ?
Sadly no.
NA-driver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 23:07   #26

This is a great and progressive move by the UP Govt. Hope this entails to reduction of GST on strong hybrids in the budget. That will bring down the prices further and make vehicles like Camry more affordable which in my opinion is a great package below 50L and can give run for money to many big Germans ( barring its dated head Unit which looks so aftermarket ). Sadly in Karnataka, EV’s above 25L are charged with 10% LFT and no special benefits for strong hybrids. People in UP who are on the fence of purchasing a new vehicle will be very tempted now. Good times ahead
Old 9th July 2024, 00:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
This is an extremely progressive step, but I think reduced Road Tax should be the way to go. Hybrids though efficient are not completely non-polluting.
They don't put a draw on electrical lines in a country where we struggle to make enough energy to provide electricity for 24 hours though. Besides, if I'm not wrong, most of our electricity generation comes from burning coal.

I don't think EVs should have complete road tax waiver either. Any vehicle that uses the road should have some form of road tax for repairing and constructing roads. GST and Cess of ex-showroom is the one that should be getting waivers.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 13:20   #28
BHPian

- This will be one of the greatest move for mass awareness for people moving towards high efficiency cars and EVs in the biggest state of India
- The government of UP is setting an example for other states to compete on improving their rankings for vehicular pollution levels
- This move will help Toyota Bharat to improve their CAFE norms very easily for a considerable quantum compared to other OEMs
- Big states such as Maharashtra, MP & Rajasthan must also come up with such exemptions very soon which will help India as a country meet their carbon reduction targets at global levels

- But the biggest beneficiaries of all this will be the people of the country as taxation is already very high in India
- These exemptions tantamounts to almost 75,000 free kilometres from the government upon purchase of Hybrids at the highest band

Hope to see more competition amongst the states on a healthy level soon !!
Humane India is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 13:55   #29

Hello, one novice question here. What is the problem if I buy a GV/Hyryder from UP now(due to less taxation) and travel/transport it to West Bengal(or any other states)?
Will it help me save money and if yes how much?
Old 9th July 2024, 14:40   #30
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am just thinking out loud here -

So, the Camry will be cheaper by 4.4 lakhs because of the zero road tax and coupling this with the ongoing discounts of about 8-10 lakhs (dealer inventory dependent, of course), the Camry will be cheaper by about 14-15 lakhs?!?

Add to this, if Madam Nirmala, announces GST cuts on Hybrids in the upcoming budget, the Camry has the potential to be about 20-25 lakhs cheaper than current rates?

Am I right or did I miss something here?

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th July 2024 at 14:45. Reason: Let's be respectable towards public figures.
sjain2054 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed