Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used 2nd-gen Hyundai Creta today?
Yes 24 41.38%
No 34 58.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2024, 08:04   #1
Team-BHP Support

Pre-worshipped car of the month | Buying a used Hyundai Creta (2nd gen)

The Hyundai Creta was launched in India back in 2015 and saying that it was a success in our Indian market would be an understatement. The Creta has dominated the Indian market so much so that earlier this year Hyundai announced that the cumulative sales of the Creta have crossed the 10 lakh unit mark. That’s a lot of Cretas on the road and speaks a lot about the popularity.

The second generation Creta was launched in 2020 with radical looks. Initially, everyone thought the design of the new Creta would put off a lot of people. However, it won them over and sales have remained strong. The introduction of the 2nd gen Creta also brought in new powertrains including a 1.4-litre turbo-petrol engine with a dual-clutch automatic and a new 1.5-litre diesel engine. Do note that with this new BS6 diesel, you have a DPF and that needs additional care and regular running. A lot of the early buyers didn’t know about this, which is why you will see more diesel examples in the used car market.

Apart from that, there’s also a naturally aspirated petrol engine with a CVT or a manual. Hyundai made sure that it was all covered in the powertrains department. It’s been roughly 4 years since the launch of the 2nd-generation Creta and about the right time to buy a used one. Would you buy one if you were looking for a used car?

Used Hyundai Creta Pros

• A fairly new car that doesn't feel "old" compared to the other cars in the segment
• Availability is good. You will most likely find the powertrain you are looking for
• A superbly engineered all-rounder that delivers a premium experience
• Used examples are fairly priced. You might just find a very good deal
• User-friendly interiors with sufficient space & good quality parts
• Loved the 1.4L turbo-petrol & 1.5L diesel. These are fantastic engines
• Smooth & competent automatic gearboxes available. With the useful "auto-hold" feature too
• Sorted road manners & handling for a Hyundai, including on the highway. You will be surprised!
• The Creta's safety package includes 6 airbags, ESP, all-wheel disc brakes, TPMS etc. Impressive kit too (panoramic sunroof, paddle shifters, Bose sound system, cooled seats, cabin air purifier & loads more)
• Hyundai's competent after-sales service, fuss-free ownership & upto 5-years standard warranty

Used Hyundai Creta Cons

• Some minor and some major issues have been reported by customers. Be sure to get your used car thoroughly checked
• BS6 diesel isn't stress-free to live with because of the DPF
• Scored just 3-stars in the GNCAP crash tests
• Oddball love it or hate it styling. We find the Creta's exterior design to be weird
• Firmer suspension isn't as cushy as the 1st-gen Creta. It is more comfortable than the Seltos though
• Back seat's width makes it better for 2 adults and a kid, rather than 3 adults
• Some misses (no auto wipers, 360-degree camera, illuminated window buttons, full-size spare tyre on top trims)
• Dual-clutch ATs (like the Hyundai Creta Petrol DCT) have a history of poor reliability in India
• Diesel’s 113 BHP & 250 Nm – although adequate – are the lowest in the segment
• No manual transmission available with the fast 1.4L Petrol (Seltos offers this combo)

Related Threads

• Official Review

• RavenAvi's Hyundai Creta SX 1.5 Petrol IVT

• srikanthmadhava's Hyundai Creta SX(O) 1.5 Diesel Automatic

• vattyboy's Hyundai Creta SX(O) 1.5 Diesel Automatic

• vattyboy's comparison of his Hyundai Creta and Jeep Compass

• ashlil's Hyundai Creta 1.5L Petrol SX IVT

• abhishek46's Hyundai Creta Diesel MT

Things to watch out for in a used Hyundai Creta

• Hyundai Creta IVT oil pump issue official recall

• Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT powertrain failure

• Hyundai Creta 1.5L Diesel BS6 DPF issues

• Turbo failure on a 1-year old Hyundai Creta (1.4L Turbo DCT)

• Hyundai Creta alternator problem

• Battery drain issues on my Creta

• Hyundai Creta 1.4 DCT Clutch Actuator failure

• Check if your vehicle is among those recalled by entering the VIN on Hyundai's official website

Mod Potential

With the 2nd generation Creta, Hyundai introduced the turbo-petrol engine which was purely focused on enthusiasts. Hence, the mod potential for this engine is good and you will see some examples with a stage 1 tune. But that’s where it’s limited to and I haven’t come across any highly modified Hyundai Cretas. You will find the occasional aesthetic mods on the Creta, but the stock 1.4-litre turbo-petrol and DCT combo is enough for most drivers.
Pre-worshipped car of the month | Buying a used Hyundai Creta (2nd gen)-hyundaicretablackhawk1.jpg

Availability

Very good. Given the high sales numbers of the Creta, a lot of them have made their way to the used car market. As mentioned earlier, the 1.5-litre diesel engine in the 2nd gen Creta is BS6-ready, which means that it comes with a diesel particulate filter to reduce emissions. The thing is that the 1.5-litre diesel needs regular running and additional care, unlike the older 1.6-litre diesel which was a lot more hassle-free. This is one of the reasons why you will see a lot of diesel Cretas on sale in the used car market. Given that the Creta facelift was launched earlier this year, the prices for the pre-facelift Creta have seen a slight dip. Check out some examples on sale here.

Pre-worshipped car of the month | Buying a used Hyundai Creta (2nd gen)-1.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the month | Buying a used Hyundai Creta (2nd gen)-2.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the month | Buying a used Hyundai Creta (2nd gen)-3.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the month | Buying a used Hyundai Creta (2nd gen)-4.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the month | Buying a used Hyundai Creta (2nd gen)-5.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the month | Buying a used Hyundai Creta (2nd gen)-6.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the month | Buying a used Hyundai Creta (2nd gen)-7.jpeg
Omkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 09:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the month | Buying a used Hyundai Creta (2nd gen)

Voted No. These cars are way too overpriced in the used market for them to make any sense. Another reason I would stay away is the poor safety rating. I don't like the looks of this model either. I would suggest and rather get myself a used 1st gen Creta instead of this. I know a friend who recently picked up a 1st gen facelift Diesel Creta automatic. Even that car he acquired for a considerably higher price IMO.
saikishor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 10:01   #3
BHPian

Voted yes. My pick would be 2nd Gen Facelift Creta Turbo DCT in Black Color reason being the better looks of the latter than the former, but that would be available atleast after 2-3 years.

As @saikishor said Cretas are overpriced in the used car market. After the coupler to coupler trend started in Karolbagh, owners/dealers are posting their base variant cars as top variant and are earning a good chunk of profit too.

Last edited by sharmanova : 7th July 2024 at 10:16.
sharmanova is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 11:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Voted yes - keeping the price discussion aside, it is a competent car and my ownership experience of 2 Hyundai's (Getz and Elantra) has been great. I would not touch the petrol though and will stick to diesel inspite of its okayish power.
Old 7th July 2024, 11:22   #5
BHPian

Here's Evo India's take on buying a used Hyundai Creta (Gen 1)

TejasKinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 12:08   #6
BHPian

Voted No.

My father owns a 1.6D MT Diesel 2019 SX(O) variant. Hated the looks from day 1. Hate the facelift one even more. The Hyundai designs age really bad (apart from the iconic OG Verna first iteration).

I have noticed many i20's and Creta's in Hyderabad which have color peeling on tailgate, and almost all were white color (maybe just coincidence).
Old 7th July 2024, 12:24   #7
BHPian

If one does consider a used, or even a new Hyundai, please note the white ones most certainly have a paint peeling problem.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-affected.html (Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected)
Old 7th July 2024, 12:38   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I wouldn't even buy a new Kia/Hyundai, leave aside a used one.

This thread has all that one needs to know about the Korean twins

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks