Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2024, 17:49   #46
BHPian

Re: What are some undervalued cars in India?

Some cars not mentioned yet:

1. Maruti Grand Vitara (2nd Gen. ) was the v6 offered here in India?
2. Maruti Grand Vitara (3rd gen)

I do not believe the diesels were offered in India - please correct me if I am wrong

3. Maruti's original Baleno sedan
4. Duster AWD
5. Hyundai Terracan
6. Ssangyong Rexton
7. Alturas G4
8. Tata Xenon
9. Tata Sumo Grande
Old 28th June 2024, 19:28   #47
BHPian

Nissan Micra/Renault Pulse CVT with the 1.2L 3 Cyl Engine.

The engine was not smooth or silent which is the only negative, except that both these cars were very compact, good visibility, peppy for city speed limits, smooth CVT and loaded with all necessary features (Auto AC, Rear camera, Height adjustable driver seat, Alloy wheels, Steering mounter controls)

If someone is looking for a supplemental car for city usage, an used Micra/Pulse is an awesome find with a peppy engine, proper automatic transmission and it will be cheap (Around 4L for a sparingly used 4-5 years old car)

This will be a better choice than most of the AMTs sold in todays market.
ByKaizen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 20:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
<snip> the ghat sections this car makes me enjoy the curves .
Sorry, but that is probably one area where the 1.6 struggles. It's a highway car, it simply doesnt like inclines. Dont believe me? bring it to a stop on a steep incline, put it in 1st, and try going forward. Without proper handbrake use, progress will be very difficult. I guess it's a combination of gearing and lack of low-down torque. Similarly when descending, put it in 2nd gear and the revs climb really high, it feels like you're driving a 407. Slip it into 3rd, it simply hurtles forward like a catapult. I understood this the hard way. It is a great car, but it's meant for one purpose only; covering large highway distances at high speeds, while keeping occupants in relative comfort. Still there are a number of deficiencies - for eg. the lack of rear AC vents is unacceptable for a car in 2024. The headlights sucked. The switchgear is indistinguishable from a swift. The boot can barely hold 2 check-in baggages. The black interiors are durable, but has as much luxury quotient as an airport taxi. It is undervalued if you're an enthusiast and willing to compromise and invest in upgrades. As a family car there were/are much better alternatives.
ballkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 20:30   #49
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My list is short:

1. Nissan Sunny aka Renault Scala
2. Tata Hexa (would have done wonders if it was a Toyota Hexa at the same price)
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 22:57   #50
BHPian

Speaking of the Linea, let’s not forget the great Hydraulic Power Steering. Gave awesome feedback. I wonder if any cars in the market today have a HPS instead of an EPS.
invidious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 01:06   #51
BHPian

Ignis is one of the most value for money car in market today. Hence very much undervalued.
  • 4 cylinder 1.2L Suzuki Petrol engine
  • Superb manual transmission
  • Acceptable AMT automatic
  • Good space, ride, handling
  • Starting below 6L ex showroom. And discounts on top.

Misses:
  • Weird rear shape
  • 6 airbags and 5 star safety
  • Maruti interiors

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th June 2024 at 01:25. Reason: Typos and formatting.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 11:16   #52

The i10s of 2010/2011 were one heck of a deal back then. I wouldn't consider them undervalued, but neither were they overpriced. They offered great value for the money.
We bought the Sportz variant for 5L on road, and used it for nearly 12 years. It had 2 lakh kms on the odometer when we sold it in 2023. It never gave us any major problems in the 11 years we owned it. The peppy 1.2-liter engine provided good acceleration in the 3k-5k rpm range.
Despite having scratches and bumps (no issues with the engine or any functional parts whatsoever), we sold the car for 1.5L. We got a great deal on it
Old 29th June 2024, 12:18   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
It is a great car, but it's meant for one purpose only; covering large highway distances at high speeds, while keeping occupants in relative comfort. Still there are a number of deficiencies - for eg. the lack of rear AC vents is unacceptable for a car in 2024. The headlights sucked. The switchgear is indistinguishable from a swift. The boot can barely hold 2 check-in baggages.
I completely agree with these points.
While for other points you mentioned, I respect your opinion of the car.

May be I should have mentioned this , I drive the 1.3 litre. Also, I am not an enthusiast, so I may not be able to discern on the drawbacks like an enthusiast would.

I shared my opinion of how good the car is from my perspective.
Thank you
RROD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 23:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
1) When new, there were/are/will be no undervalued cars. That's because manufacturers have single digit margins and similar manufacturing/sourcing practices.
3) Pre-owned German luxury cars seem undervalued. But you have to contend with high maintenance costs and iffy reliability. So if it is priced low compared to new, there is a reason behind it. The prices are hence 'fair'.

4) Pre-owned mainstream cars are reasonably priced. Not undervalued. The gap between new and pre-owned car is just right.

According to me, there are only a handful of undervalued cars:

- Has to be pre-owned.
- Older than 5 years (preferably 10 years)
- Because of the above, reliability is key. So has to be either Toyota or Honda
- Has to be expensive when new (Eg: Rs. 30L or Rs. 35L on road price), so that it is feature packed & still feels luxurious.