Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2024, 09:38   #1
BHPian

Connected car tech | Why or why wouldn't you subscribe?

Hello car owners!

Like most Kia owners, I used the Kia Connect until it was free, 3 yrs in my case, and now contemplating if I should renew it.

I like the app mainly to:

• Check vehicle status - if its locked, the range available etc.
  • Then to be able to start stop engine - set the climate control to get the car prepped for a ride.
  • Also to find the car in a huge parking lot by blaring the horn.

But I don't like the fact that you can't control windows from the app or from the key fob. The vehicle status doesn’t report windows or the sun roof. How silly is that? What's the point of knowing doors are closed while no clue if I forgot to roll the windows and shut the roof?

The voice assistant I guess is tagged to kia connect. Its mostly a miss than a hit. I only opened the sunroof once with it nothing else.

I'm guessing the updates to the in-car system and navigation happens OTA via kia connect, but pls correct me.

I never used the road side assistance or SOS features - I understand it will work only when the vi sim has reasonable cell reception.

So bottom-line: I use it for locking when I forget to, start the engine to cool the car down on occasion.

So do you think spending INR 6.5 a day (that's going by 6990 for 3yrs plan) on Kia Connect with it.

Would you subscribe? Why or why not?

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th June 2024 at 09:46. Reason: Changing phrasing a bit to make it generic :)
bharathreddyt is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 09:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Connected car tech | Why or why wouldn't you subscribe?

In my 5th Gen City, this is definitely convenient. Apart from car status like doors, windows, sunroof, headlamps, etc, the app also tracks the current location and maintains a log of all trips. This is great feature to analyse your driving, and gather more facts like average speed, timing of start/ stop, the route taken, etc. In the Honda Connect app, you can also maintain a fuel log- which will help you keep complete details of fuel filled, distance travelled, fuel economy, etc. If you take services of a paid driver, then I will totally recommend this subscription. In fact, it is good to have even for one's own records. The app also features a 'geofencing mode' where it can alert the owner in case the car leaves a marked area.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th June 2024 at 09:46. Reason: Thread made generic for all car brands, thanks :)
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 09:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I use it for safety reasons, the brake pedal gets jammed if I don't use remote start for at least 5 minutes in the morning. The app will help me save time, and that's about it. On rare occasions the app is useful to lock and unlock the car to get something, and gives alerts about punctures.

The marketing Kia has done is commendable, they've put dummy pictures for functions like ac and defogger which don't work. Every review mentions the convenience, without checking if it works, the ASC just confirmed that lock and unlock is the only thing it does, remote start being unnecessary is you can't run the ac.

I'm going to renew it as insurance, an accident if the brakes don't work will be much more expensive in terms of repair costs.
avira_tk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 10:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I use it for safety reasons, the brake pedal gets jammed if I don't use remote start for at least 5 minutes in the morning. -----
I'm going to renew it as insurance, an accident if the brakes don't work will be much more expensive in terms of repair costs.

Do you have a brake booster vacuum leak? Why else would the brake pedal get jammed/ hard? You must get the car inspected and sorted out. This is not really what the app is for.
saket77 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 11:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I use it for safety reasons, the brake pedal gets jammed if I don't use remote start for at least 5 minutes in the morning.
Recently experienced jammed breaks after trying to start my Carens after about 10 days.
How does the app help here?
Old 25th June 2024, 13:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Do you have a brake booster vacuum leak? Why else would the brake pedal get jammed/ hard? You must get the car inspected and sorted out. This is not really what the app is for.
They weren't able to figure it out after bleeding, replacing the fluid and resetting the braking system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Recently experienced jammed breaks after trying to start my Carens after about 10 days.
How does the app help here?
My car is used daily, so it's not sure to long term parking, the app helps with running remote start for about 7 minutes. The remote start warms up the brake system enough to use the brakes without issues.
avira_tk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 17:20   #7

Own a Kia Seltos, haven't found it essential yet. Used it to start AC a couple of times before I go to my parking, but beyond that didn't find any feature.

Remote immobilizer is a feature which might be helpful but thankfully have faced a situation where I had to use it yet.
Old 26th June 2024, 00:53   #8
BHPian

I park my Carens in lower basement and there is no mobile network available there except for a bar of Jio so can't check the status of the car most of the time it's parked in the basement. I guess the Carens comes with VI sim who already has a poor network outside.

Have used Kia connect to track the car when my brother-in-law has taken it out for some outstation runs or to track the trips I have done and the times taken for each trip and max speed in that trip.

I believe the app does show if a door isn't locked including the boot, but don't think it shows any window or sunroof is open. I do believe that car does come with a sensor for sunroof but not sure it shows on the app though.

As of now dont see its of much use, used Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for navigation and music. Not sure if I want to pay when the free subscription ends though.
Old 26th June 2024, 01:26   #9
BHPian

Hi,

I have renewed my KIA connect service in Jan this year for next 3 years.

Did I do it only for the tech features it keeps enabled that way? No!

Because, it also bundles it up with supplementing services which I think are very crucial owning any car in this country:

Under premium plan @ 7,999/- for 3 years:

Road Road Side Assistance offers National coverege +Taxi facility up to 300 kms + Hotel accomodation +Repatriation of the vehicle in case of Accidents.

Under Basic plan @6,999/- for 3 years:

Road Side Assistance (National coverage) + Taxi facility up to 100 kms

I chose the former.

Last edited by Dinesh_Malhotra : 26th June 2024 at 01:29.
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 10:34   #10

Re: Connected car tech | Why or why wouldn't you subscribe?

Quote:
They weren't able to figure it out after bleeding, replacing the fluid and resetting the braking system.

My car is used daily, so it's not sure to long term parking, the app helps with running remote start for about 7 minutes. The remote start warms up the brake system enough to use the brakes without issues.
Hi

Please do not let them tell you this is normal. Your brake booster probably has a vacuum leak. It is losing pressure overnight and once you start your engine it is able to maintain vacuum as the engine starts supplying the vacuum. Get it changed under warranty. Wishing you the best
Lemonysnicketz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 11:59   #11
BHPian

I think the tech is useful if it is VFM for one's usage. I'm planning to keep the subscription (Z-Connect from Tata) active for another year.

Some features I like (and use):
  • GPS Tracking - I find this extremely useful; I'm not the sole user of the vehicle. I can see the live location, where it is parked etc.
  • Remote control - Lock/unlock the car without keys, Turn AC ON when the car is parked under the sun etc. It is useful when you go out for shopping etc. One of you can use the app while the other has the key. Remote immobilizer gives some sense of security - not sure if disconnecting the connected car system with an active subscription would immobilizes the car for some time and give out an alert to the owner.
  • Usage history - Neat reports that summarizes the usage on a particular day to monthly reports. Can easily figure out how my car is being used and where. Doesn't have to use the trip meter or keep a log.
  • Alerts - Full charge, intrusion (if it detects activity when the car is locked).
  • Valet mode - I haven't used it; I'm not comfortable handing my car over to a stranger. But I like the idea of limiting how far the car can be driven (wish it had a speed/acceleration limiter feature as well).

I don't like the Z-connect app and Tata's configuration of the connected car feature. It sometimes struggles with connectivity (signal) and the delay is horrendous. I also wish they had different tiers for the subscription (I think Z-connect is a bit too expensive). Would have happily settled for a 'Lite' version which lets me monitor charge, live location and usage. Or pay per use (like on specific days when I need it).

I love how features like inbuilt dashcam, connected car tech etc. makes fooling with your car while giving it out to service, hard. I could prove once that my car wasn't diagnosed for a charging related issue - since the log didn't show any charging activity. The technician lied that he tested the car, but had to accept that he didn't - once I showed the log.

On the flipside, I hope the manufacturer won't use the data to deny warranty claims (or insurance). I'm not sure who owns the data - and if manufacturer needs my consent to access my log. We might need better privacy laws.

Last edited by thomahawk : 26th June 2024 at 12:15.
thomahawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 13:04   #12
BHPian

The free subscription of two years to Adrenox in my XUV 7OO ended this March. The In-Car Alexa also stopped working once the subscription ended.
M&M has even reduced the renewal price by a few thousand, however I am not too keen to renew it since I wasnt using the app to its full capacity.
Ritesh_Dogar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 13:55   #13

Our Carnival's Kia Connect subscription is due for renewal this october and I'm thinking not to renew it simply because the functions are hit and miss, missing most of the time.
The subscription is way too much for what is offered ,that is Start/Stop, AC , Live tracking and Car status.
Vsh06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 14:15   #14
BHPian

Yes.
I am already paying for Nexon EV and Ather.

I like the remote control options, data and analysis.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 14:30   #15

I use the Volvo Car app to for my S90, which costs SEK 390 a year (approx. INR 3100).

Primary use is to preheat the car and engine. It's a boon, especially for the cold winters of Stockholm. Also use it to track the service schedules, trip meters & driving efficiency, to send the location to the car's navigation system, and identify where the car is parked.

I rarely use the app to Lock/Unlock the car.

I will promtly use it as long as I will have the car.
IYoungAre is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks