Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2024, 19:42   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Telangana RTO Drive to seize out of state vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

All that the State has left to control are road taxes, property taxes, alcohol sales and fuel sales. The Center has now sounded off last week that it is now also interested in dipping it's large hands into the fuel sales tax pot, by bringing thatnitem also under GST. I think we will increasingly find states taking a tougher stance on road tax, to protect and augment one of their last sources of revenue where they have any control left.
Once you choke the state governments of all their revenue streams - its easy for us to catch up to countries like China & North Korea etc - One party Nation.

Hope India, that is Bharat, shall be a Union of States.
Kosfactor is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 20:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviKBobba View Post
Doesn't the Central MV Law state that the Out of state vehicles can be plied for 11-12 months ?

Source

INTER STATE TRANSFER OF VEHICLE

Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
https://morth.nic.in › inter-state-transfer-vehicle
Yes, the statement to be noted is:
'the owner is required to obtain a new registration mark to be assigned by the registering authority '

As confusing as it is, they have not mentioned the point where Road Tax has to be paid if driving for more than 30 days in another state.

Meaning, you can drive the vehicle up to 12 months on the old registration number, only after paying the road tax (which should be done within 30 days of arrival in new state).
Old 25th June 2024, 21:10   #33
BHPian

I think there should be a way we can express our displeasure to the government.
Or still, if they want to implement it, at least make it smooth via Vahaan or some other website. Paying tax is one thing, and the ambiguity around the whole process is another headache. On top of that, I heard even for the allotment of the registration no of the car one has to approach an agent here in Telangana. I'm sure this will mean getting ripped off by the agents left, right, and center.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 21:19   #34
BHPian

Lived in Hyderabad for many years and this nonsense had stopped long back.

Not sure how they restarted this, here is an article from nearly a decade ago. The laws have not changed.

Telangana RTO Drive to seize out of state vehicles-screenshot-20240625-11.45.458239am.png

Telangana RTO Drive to seize out of state vehicles-screenshot-20240625-11.46.348239am.png

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/46616574.cms
Foxbat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 21:20   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Meaning, you can drive the vehicle up to 12 months on the old registration number, only after paying the road tax (which should be done within 30 days of arrival in new state).

Please can you share the link or source of this law / rule.

This has been debated at length here on Teambhp when Karnataka introduced this rule way back in 2013/2014. This was challenged in Karnataka high court and ruling was against government. Karnataka has challenged it in Supreme Court and the case is yet to be heard there. Once Karnataka government lost thr first case and subsequently appeal also in Karnataka multi judge bench (first ruling was by a single judge bench) they stopped rto drives against out of state vehicle. I think Telangana government also know that they can't win if it goes to court hence it's just a tactic of collecting as much money as they can till they are stopped by courts.
SamDiablo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 23:03   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
It looks like Telangana RTO will be going to start a drive now to seize overstaying out-of-state vehicles. Articles state that vehicles plying in Telangana for more than 30 days will be impounded or they would have to pay the tax. I see this as an exercise to harass the working class or a way to mop up revenues for funding the freebies. Would like to know what fellow Bhpians think about this?

Attachment 2620152

Link to the news
Such Draconian plans need to be put to rest. Usually such drives are just a way of RTO's to harass Road Users. The BH registration should be made available to all ! There are so many car owners who switch jobs and cities for a better life. Why should it be a pain to move the car to the new city. It is about time, some laws need to be changed, and the statewise registration is one of them.
kamal_parashar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 23:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
On a related note, what happens to road tax paid to one's previous state of resident when they move to a new one and get the car registered there?
Do they get a refund or transfer of road tax from old to new state? Or they don't get anything back and are paying additional tax in the new state?
Technically, you can get the original registration cancelled and the remainder of the lifetime tax refunded from the original state, if you are transferring your car to a new state.
It’s practically impossible, though. Yet to meet anyone who actually got the refund.
one-77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 23:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
With GST taking over almost all consumption-based taxation, states have very few sources of revenues in their control. The centre decides if and when the disbursal to states occur for the diminishing GST revenue share that is due to the state. As recent cases by Kerala Government at the Supreme Court showed, the Center has the power to choke off most sources of funds, including the loans proposed to be taken by the State from third parties.

All that the State has left to control are road taxes, property taxes, alcohol sales and fuel sales. The Center has now sounded off last week that it is now also interested in dipping it's large hands into the fuel sales tax pot, by bringing thatnitem also under GST. I think we will increasingly find states taking a tougher stance on road tax, to protect and augment one of their last sources of revenue where they have any control left.

I humbly disagree with your statement.

Taxation on a citizen should not be proportional to the mismanagement of the state or centre.

Kerala is a perfect example of negligence of state resources and apathy towards industries. (https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/84285540.cms)

As every citizen has equal rights, why should people from different states give different taxes on the same brand of car or fuel or even liquor?

And why should people get harassed or intimidated and extorted just because their car was registered in another state?

Nowadays people are taking cars registered in India to different parts of the world and even they are not facing this kind of harassment, with Indian number plates.

Even immovable properties owned for generations are taxed yearly by the state governments, but a vehicle is taxed for 15 years upfront!

We should have every commodity come under GST. Let the centre and states decide how they wish to divide the taxes.

Last edited by Briarean : 25th June 2024 at 23:50. Reason: minor changes in the sentences
Briarean is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 02:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDiablo View Post
Please can you share the link or source of this law / rule.
The URL for CMVR 1989 is below, I could not find the exact point on paying road tax within 30 days, but ...

https://www.indiacode.nic.in/bitstre...1/A1988-59.pdf

...what I can gather is this point below misused by the states to come up with arbitrary rules
Telangana RTO Drive to seize out of state vehicles-cmvr1989.jpg

What I'm trying to say is, the car has to be re-registered in the state where one will 'normally' live. There is no escaping it. The problem is the line highlighted in the above picture.

https://www.indiacode.nic.in/handle/...123456789/1362

Attaching screenshots below
Telangana RTO Drive to seize out of state vehicles-cmvr2.jpg

Telangana RTO Drive to seize out of state vehicles-cmvr3.jpg
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 10:26   #40
BHPian

Back in 2007 when I moved from Hyderabad to Blore I paid life tax for my Apache. I was told that I can just show the tax receipt for the first year. It really helped me as the moment you show the receipt they won't ask anything. I was told after a year get NOC and transfer the vehicle and I don't have to pay any tax during re registration. However I bought a Thunderbird in the 12 months so I shipped Apache to Chennai as gift to my brother and he struggled with Chennai cops day in and day out. After a year of struggling he sold it to a guy from Andhra and bought a new Apache to live peacefully.
Old 26th June 2024, 15:58   #41
BHPian

Another masterstroke !

But before they do that and invoke some section of the Motor Vehicle Act, I strongly believe they should:

1. Ban tinted films on windows
2. Non Standard number plates
3. Act on people parking vehicles in the middle of the road.

And much more. It has been an year in Hyd for me but what I see is that traffic rules are disobeyed here like they never existed.

Anyways. I just hope that I am driving a KA registered vehicle here and should not be one of the targets someday
ankitsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 16:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
...The Center has now sounded off last week that it is now also interested in dipping it's large hands into the fuel sales tax pot, by bringing thatnitem also under GST...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Once you choke the state governments of all their revenue streams - its easy for us to catch up to countries like China & North Korea etc - One party Nation.

Hope India, that is Bharat, shall be a Union of States.
I hope both of you know that the decisions taken by GST Council has state government representatives too. So, if state governments do not want, fuel cannot be added to GST list.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 18:45   #43

Time has come to make BH number plates common to all,that is one way of avoiding harassment from the cops. outside vehicles are low hanging fruits for some easy money. Hope some developments like one country one number plate comes into play. am I expecting too much?
Old 26th June 2024, 20:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Center has now sounded off last week that it is now also interested in dipping it's large hands into the fuel sales tax pot, by bringing thatnitem also under GST.
Actually even today the central government earns a very significant amount from retail fuel sale. Here is a PQ which details how much it is (3 years old data, though):

https://taxguru.in/excise-duty/taxes...sel-india.html

Even if GST is levied on fuel at the highest rate, I think there will be a massive drop in fuel price across India. For example (using data from the above link) - in Karnataka, central levy is 32.90 and state levy is 25.57 - reduce both these from the retail price (102.11) and add 28% GST instead - you should get petrol for Rs. 55.86.

Quote:
With GST taking over almost all consumption-based taxation, states have very few sources of revenues in their control.
A quick fix could be to allow states to set the SGST (and IGST with caveats) rate of each HSN/SAC as per their own requirement. I hope the software is compatible with such a major change.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 21:47   #45
BHPian

Question!

I have a DL number car, currently in Hyd. If I pay the lifetime road taxes :

1) Is it mandatory to change the number to TS number?

2) Will the car be allowed to run for 15 years, without changing the number, if I pay the road taxes?

The problem here is, since I permanently shifted from Delhi, I would have go to Delhi to get the NOC. First from the bank and then RTO, before I can initiate a change in state.

Is there a workaround which I can use to get the NOC without having to travel to Delhi?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks