Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2024, 08:35   #1
Team-BHP Support

What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?

As enthusiasts, we love being around our machines. Be it a car or a bike, owning a vehicle and living with it is one of the joys of life. It may not be the smoothest ownership experience at times, but your car or bike is still special. There are usually one or more reasons why the ownership is special.

I remember speaking to a Force Gurkha owner who said that although basic, he loves how capable the car is. The most satisfying feeling he had was during the monsoon when there were floods in his hometown. He used his Gurkha to tow out stuck school buses, reach places where no other cars reached and managed to help a few people. That’s the ultimate level of satisfaction one could get from owning a 4x4 and putting it to full use.

What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-gurkha-1.jpg
(Image used for reference only)

There are a couple of things that are oddly satisfying about owning my Maruti Swift

Low service costs

Over so many years of ownership, the service bill has never been an issue. Apart from the recent service where the suspension components were changed (the first time since purchase in 2014), the annual service costs have always been extremely reasonable. Every time I send the car for servicing, I am not at all worried about how much the bill is going to be, which is oddly satisfying.

What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-marutiswift.jpg

The engine

The 1.2L naturally aspirated engine is extremely free-revving and watching the needle moving up the rev counter is extremely satisfying, especially in today’s age where almost all the new engines are turbocharged and don't rev as freely. It isn't very powerful, but it's good enough for driving in and around Mumbai. Another bonus is that even when I push hard on some empty mountain roads or just in general, the fuel efficiency doesn’t jump off a cliff. It's still very reasonable and easy on the pocket.

Do share some of the oddly satisfying things about your car or bike.
Omkar is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 08:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Old 20th June 2024, 14:40   #3
BHPian

What I infer from 'oddly satisfying' is that you are satisfied by things in the car that is run-of-the-mill. Let me list down some satisfying things (describable satisfaction) and oddly satisfying things (satisfaction of OCD ) in our 2022 Honda City MT:

Satisfying things:

- The 1.5 iVTEC engine is incredibly rev-happy and revs all the way till 7200 rpm! Aural satisfaction.

- The gearbox is slick shifting and feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Physical satisfaction.

- The leather in the cabin, whether the upholstery or padding, elevates the experience. Physical satisfaction.

Oddly satisfying things:

- The driver gets a door handle and a vanity mirror.

- The fact that it has a full size spare tyre that's an alloy.

- The AC controls produce a satisfying 'click' sound while rotating the knob. The light turns blue / red when increasing / decreasing the temperature.
What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-ac.jpg

- The LED indicators look sooo good and are drool worthy
What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-indicator.jpg

- The instrument cluster gives me immense joy thanks to the presence of physical and digital needles.
What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-tacho.jpg

Must say, I am weird indeed!

Last edited by CentreOfGravity : 20th June 2024 at 14:50.
CentreOfGravity is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 15:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

Turbo petrol: The creamy smooth power delivery of a turbo petrol.

The GLC is my first turbo petrol and in fact it’s been a while since we’ve had a FAST petrol car in the house (the last was my 2009 Civic which got sold in around 2017 IIRC).

3GT’s diesel kick: Now having the benefit of driving the GLC and my remapped 3GT alternately, I am really loving the ‘different’ sort of kick a nice fast diesel car gives.

Paddle shifters: Love driving the car fast on twisties (or even straights) making generous use of the paddle shifters from time to time. Love the engine braking and the specific control they provide over the default drive mode.

Ground clearance: I really appreciate that I don’t have to keep thinking of scraping either German in any driving conditions. I had come from 7 - 8 years of owning the Civic where one had to be constantly mindful of this and even now I see fellow 5er owners being ultra cautious on some of the unscientific speed breakers in my locality.

Looks: I still turn around and take a look at both the 3GT and the GLC every time I park and am walking away. Specially the 3GT. It’s been 8 yrs+ and I still love its silhouette, color and shape - even more than the GLC possibly even though its newer.

GLC’s sienna brown interiors: I’ve wanted this ever since the time I bought the 3GT. I’ve always loved that interior color and never liked beige. My civic had beige seats as did the 3GT. It really pleases me to sit in a car with interior upholstery in that color.
Axe77 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 15:24   #5
BHPian

Ford Freestyle 1.5 TCDi's - Mad mid range pull in 3rd gear is something I can never get tried off and very satisfying especially when you execute quick overtakes.

And, the ubiquitous urge to turn back & stare at your parked car
Sk8r is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 17:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting thread. Just today when I was driving home from office-where there was yet another conversation of 'When are you changing your car?', I was noticing some small stuff that brought a smile of satisfaction to my face that still makes me look forward to being in my car (Vento 1.2 TSI DSG)
  • The 1.2 TSI (with a remap). The joy when you stomp down on the accelerator and it just takes off. Something very few cars can match even today.
  • The fact that all windows have auto up down.
  • The subtle use of chrome. On the gear lever, headlamp switch.
  • The fact that nothing has deteriorated even after close to 11 years. I sometimes think VW took extra care on the initial batches of the Vento TSI with respect to the quality of materials used.
  • The inner satisfaction when people refuse to believe it is such an old car.
  • The boot that seems to be able to take any amount of luggage. No need to plan or do any mathematics. Bring all you got, I will take it in.

Some more visual elements that just make me feel good any time I get into the car.

The way that the steering wheel is finished and how it has held up.

What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-20240620_170334.jpg

The stitching. Almost 11 years now and not even one stitch has come off in anyway.

What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-20240620_170345.jpg

The solid DSG Lever with the embossing and the chrome and leather finish. Feels fantastic to operate

What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-20240620_170412.jpg

The roof liner that was much talked about in the 2.0 cars. Has just remained as is. Greatly helps keep that good feel inside the cabin

What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-20240620_170443.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st June 2024 at 15:46. Reason: As requested
Rajeevraj is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 19:50   #7
BHPian

The mad rush and wheel spin in second and third gear in my stage 2+ creta 1.6. The 180 horses at crank are wildddd.
Puts a smile on my face everytime.Just today three of my colleagues drove my creta and immediately asked me to arrange for a remap for their cars.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 20:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Tigor AMT:

- The Harman Kardon branded 6 speaker system that can put to shame cars costing twice as much. Even without an external amp and subwoofer, the stock system is so beautifully tuned.

- The ability to take hits and bumps without much external body damage.

Ignis MT:

- I haven't come across such precise, sure slotting, short throw and sporty gearbox and an equally mated light but progressive, predictable and with just the right travel Clutch, in any manual car this side of < 20 lacs. Period.

- The fact that Maruti gives stylish black 15 inch alloy wheels in a budget small car is appreciable.
DCEite is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 20:08   #9
BHPian

Thar -

Mine is a Convertible so it has to be the wind in the hair drive! The convertible is also very rare at least in my place so the second glance that i get every time the roof is down is another satisfying thing.

S-cross -

It’s a diesel and gives amazing fuel efficiency on the highways while also being very comfortable and poised at high speeds.
Mr.U is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 21:19   #10
BHPian

2021 KTM 390 Duke: Sound the quickshifter makes when you shift with the throttle pinned to the absolute max. Makes a nice cutoff sound.
saikishor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 21:19   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I guess people buy the cars after due diligence and only if the car satisfies the parameters set by them. Having said that, people often come across features and qualities which make the ownership even more delightful than thought initially.

Here are my observations and which were / are immensely satisfying about my car ownership journey till date.

1st Gen Ford Figo

Loved the hydraulic steering and its feel while driving. The ride quality was very good on proper roads. The car was a pocket dynamite and it was no wonder that the car swept all the awards when it was launched. Unfortunately, the steering feel was also the best thing about the car.

1st Gen Ford Ecosport D

Ford Ecosport- the car that I have currently has got some really delightful features going its way and which are equally satisfying.

- Firstly, the gem of an engine and which literally floors me every time I take the car on the highways and which is equally capable inside the city as well.

- Some nifty features like lumbar support, passenger under seat storage, cooled glovebox are very helpful during long drives. I have driven for very long hours and have never felt any tiredness for one bit.

- The servicing cost of the car is easily the best part of ownership. The way Ford has kept the prices is indeed commendable. I have found the servicing costs of smaller cars of other brands to be much more than what I have ever paid for the Ecosport.

- The car will be a decade old next year. But the car has aged gracefully and I love that. The interior has held up beautifully and nothing has changed as such. In fact, someone recently found the leather wrapped around the gear lever just as new and refused to believe that I haven't changed it since he has seen them disintegrating after five years in his own car !!

- And lastly, love the car for its robustness and the what it offers even after so many years. I don’t know if I will want to ever part with this one !

What is not there to be satisfied !
What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-img_1830.jpeg
ABHI_1512 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 21:42   #12

Tiago AMT

Steering: The steering is so smooth and light and it returns to straight quickly. It is easy to maneuver in low speeds. And becomes adequately heavy at higher speeds.

I also find the chimes alert the car gives when changing from Neutral to Reverse or Manual Mode satisfying.

Hero Passion Pro

The joy of riding my Hero Passion Pro on a hilly road and the sound of 100cc engine.
cartrail is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 21:57   #13
BHPian

What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-psx_20240620_213833.jpg

These awesome analog dials are such a joy to look at, especially at night! Reason enough to go for a ride!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 10:23   #14
BHPian

I own a used Skoda Superb Petrol MT 2016 model. A couple things that make me smile are:
A) If you long press the unlock button on the key fob, it opens all the windows. Raipur too has a very hot and dry climate. It helps immensely.
B) in addition to the boot, the rear glass also opens up. It’s oddly satisfying. Just a something that not all cars can do.
C) Rear Sun shades offer convenience and privacy.
I loved previous generations of Skoda with such nifty features and tricks.

We are also blessed to have a Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT. The best part about it is its reliability. The confidence that you can drive it anytime, anywhere, without giving it a second thought. Just switch it in, and drive.
adityaNview is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 10:30   #15
BHPian

Here are a few things that I find satisfying in our XUV500:
1. The small "click" noise that it makes when the start/stop
button is pressed to turn the ignition on.
2.The cool blue interior lighting (only in the facelift), that looks
very satisfying at night.
3. The 3rd gear pull after crossing 1500rpm. You can really
feel the turbo kick in.
4. The faint whistle (I think from the turbo)while accelerating
at low speeds without any wind noise.
5. Overall sound of the 2.2 MHawk diesel. It doesn't have the clatter like other diesel engines, it is loud but smooth.
DIV17 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks