Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2024, 21:37   #46
BHPian

Re: What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?

Almost all the cars we've had, had something special about them.

2018 Swift Diesel AMT -
The turbo kicking in around 2000 rpm was addictive.
The stupidly good mileage it gave, I would regularly get 25-28 on the highway.
Just how well everything was well put together, no squeaks or rattles at all.

2018 Jeep Compass 4x4 -
The turbo whistle was just something so addictive, I would hunt for patches on the road where I could floor it and hear the turbo sing.

2021 Thar D AT -
Probably the best auto gearbox I've had, was never in the wrong gear whether I was cruising or driving enthusiastically, Mahindra had nailed the tuning.

2023 Jimny AT -
My first ever NA petrol engine and I love how freely it revs and how smooth and silent it is.
Something about the suspensions damping feels really good despite it being soft and a bit bouncy, it rounds off the edges really well.
Old 21st June 2024, 21:50   #47
BHPian

Oddly satisfying things about the cars I use

WagonR (F10) -

• Ease of ingress/egress and headroom - respect to my Waggie increases everytime I swap to other, low slung cars in the family.
• Instant torque of 4 cyl F10 engine - F10 is not the most peppy, refined or efficient engine from Maruti. But the strong and instant low end torque it has, offers so much confidence in city and hilly areas. This is one of those rare petrol engines that can pickup from stand still even in 3rd gear.
• Practicality - boxy shape, flat boot, 50:50 rear folding and reclining seats, functional roof rails. In terms of practicality, WagonR offers way more value than a hatchback!
• Longetivity - the paint, plastics, electricals, metal, everything used in this car are extremely hard wearing. Engine has zero compression loss even after 1 lakh+ kms. Even after 18 years, everything is working like clockwork.
• Tall seating and 180mm GC - broken roads are not much of a bother.
• Cable operated throttle - No split second lag like modern sensor based throttle's. Very effective in the hills.
• Surprisingly less bodyroll compared to some low slung cars - it's stiffly sprung to compensate for the tall boy body style, hence the body control is better than say an Alto 800.
• No complexity - No VVA, non - interference type engine (it's got a cam belt), cast iron cylinder block, etc. Just a pure non-complex engine.
• Compactness - take it anywhere, turn it anywhere, park it anywhere.
• Pocket friendly - no worries about dings and scrapes.
• Raw feel - you can just feel the engine, revvs, gearshifts, suspension, noise, vibration, etc which gives some level of egnagement to the drive. Modern cars really isolate you from the aforementioned things, giving a relaxing yet mostly boring drive experience.

Hyundai Grand i10 (1.2 petrol) -

• Ultra light, non - communicative steering - unlikeable from an enthiusisat's POV. But boy oh boy, it just completely eliminates the stress out of city driving : )

Maruti Alto 800 Bs6 -

• The sheer capability of this little wonder - pint size, super frugal, good NVH control, really mature ride quality, effortless pull till 90-100 making you doubt whether it's really an 800cc!? Sometimes I really feel this is the only car you ever need.

You'll notice that the list for WagonR is long. It also shows why WagonR is not the most desirable car, yet it's one of the most preferred cars since it's introduction two and half decades ago. It's one car that's truly hard to replace
RD410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 22:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

My 1L Polo doesn’t get me very fast or very far, or very quietly, and you know what, I quite enjoy it. There’s a weirdly stimulating aural pleasure to be had in upshifting a little later than fuel prices suggest I should, and still being overtaken by driving school Wagon Rs. Just not the same feeling as the more powerful cars where trying to have fun could easily get me up to uncomfortable speeds.
Old 21st June 2024, 22:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

When I read "oddly satisfying" I wasn't expecting "pros of my car" thread which is what most replies are.

To me oddly satisfying means some event that may or may not be useful per se but is very pleasing to our humanly senses for e.g. a glovebox compartment lid that slowly lowers itself upon opening or a silently collapsing screen that hides when not in use etc.

I can't think of a single "oddly satisfying" thing in my cars though they all have some really good qualities/pros except may be the sound that paddle shifters make in my Subaru. Those shifters have a really nice click and probably magnets somewhere. When you pull the paddle there is slight resistance in the beginning and then a click - love shifting those pedals just for the feel.

Some other oddly satisfying, purely automotive related events I can think of are RR's spirit of ecstasy emblem coming out of the hood

The retracting screen in Audis. I saw it first time in my friend's A3 was hooked at the way it hid itself neatly into dashboard. Skip to 37 second mark here:

These beautiful eye-lids on Ferrari, skip to 44 second mark:

Or these awesome clamshells on old Buick:

Last edited by amol4184 : 21st June 2024 at 22:49. Reason: added timestamps
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 23:15   #50

MG Comet

The stalks. Every time I have to turn on the high beam / use the dipper, it's just so satisfying. The click, the feeling on slight sturdiness given their heft.

The illuminated MG logo. Also lights up when charging. Wish that could be used as the DRL.
Old 21st June 2024, 23:40   #51

I own these 3 vehicles.
Hyundai Getz 1.3 petrol-
Weighted feeling of hydraulic steering system
What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-screenshot_20240621_233728_gallery.jpg

Dead pedal for comfort which is missing in even modern hatches

Really low maintenance
It costs me about 3000/- per year for 5k km.

Purely mechanical since mine is a GLE variant
What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-img_2207.jpg

Spacious interior compartive with other hatches
What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-img_1986.jpg

Bullet UCE 500
The long stroke pull & low end torque
Powerful stock headlight
Ambassador like suspension

What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-img_20221221_174249.jpg

Suzuki Samurai
The sound and power band of 2 stroke engine
What are some of the oddly satisfying things about your car / bike?-img_1704.jpg
Old 22nd June 2024, 06:55   #52
BHPian

Starting a car is like waking up a friend to go on an adventure; I find it an oddly thought provoking and satisfying experience.

1. xuv 700 D : every startup is theatre , no shake no clatter, visual screen overload, the car and you feel ready for everything; ICE system might not be.
2. Figo S 1.5 TDCi diesel: The good old friend , old school go kart like charm, no screens/features, clatters when cold but driver ergonomics are near perfect and first turn you take you can’t hold back a smile.
3. Honda city : is the engine on? Car is like Just take my engine for a high rpm spin, please please please ! I will always be there for you !
4. Chevy cruze D 163 bhp : on startup the instrument cluster salutes your bravery to drive this car(on shoddy JK vectras) and to have purchased a Chevy product
5. Vw polo 3 cylinder 1.2 petrol NA: every startup you regret not getting the polo 1.6. But use the superb gear lever and you feel a little better.
6. Vw polo GT TSI: every time you start, you pray that all the warning lights on the cluster go away and hope the DSG decides to live for one more day. Then you look to for every opportunity to floor the throttle to the floor.
7. Ford freestyle 3 cylinder 1.2 petrol NA : fire the car up and you appreciate the hiring decisions in Ford’s engine department.

I have a little OCD, so I find small things as a clean engine bay, correct reading on the tyre pressure gauge, even tread wear on All 4 tyres also oddly satisfying

Last edited by SchnelleKurven : 22nd June 2024 at 07:00.
SchnelleKurven is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 11:38   #53
BHPian

My GT TSI is from the very first batch, MY May 2013, probably one of the first few in the country. Lovely little car.

Some things which still wow me, after over a decade...

• The DSG shifts like lightning - hills, plains, off the blocks or running overtakes - it shifts like nobody's business
  • All windows auto up/down with pinch protection, all buttons backlit
  • The attention to detail is mind blowing -
    1. When the lights are off, all the backlighting turns off except on the main headlight switch!!! That remains backlit at all times! I just love it.
    2. Lighting on the DSG lever with the selected one shining brighter
  • Most satisfying of all, even after all these years, there are no rattles whatsoever. None.
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 12:19   #54

My daily use car is a 2021 Maruti Ciaz and the oddly satisfying thing about it is that it ticks all the boxes. From a full-length sedan to comfortable legroom and decent ground clearance, Ciaz has it all and since it does not have too much tech the car is easy to maintain.
Old 23rd June 2024, 07:30   #55
BHPian

Vento 1.5 Tdi Dsg:
1. The classy analogue dials and their weighted feel with which the needles move just feel like a piece of art.
2. The way the diesel engine pulls once it is heated properly after driving continuously for 60-70kms, it changes completely.

Ritz 2012 Diesel Manual
Fantastic to drive, feels rugged and truly has great build quality inside out by Suzuki at that time, they don’t make cars like these anymore.

Hycross Hybrid 2023
1. The poise with which it moves and handles is something else, overall everything feels built to last.
2. The backseat comfort and space, feel like an occasion every time one travels in it.

Last edited by manofinfinity : 23rd June 2024 at 07:31. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd June 2024, 08:48   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

In this age of electronics laden cars, there is a certain feeling of driving a near bare-bones vehicle like the Gypsy. The simplicity of that little go-anywhere 4x4, one without an A/c, is something. And being able to squeeze into gaps where auto's go in .. it's fun.

A Gypsy is like a fashion statement - not everyone can blend into it, and be one with it. It's not about being in an environment of comfort, but being with the elements - driving with open windows, hearing the engine through the RPMs - whether at crawl mode or on highway. And listening to the click of mechanical precision from the gear-box as you change gears.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 08:50   #57
BHPian

I own a Prius and while I am by no means a hypermiler, those rare occasions where you get a bar back on the fuel gauge due to a mix of speed, road gradient and a light foot on the gas pedal is oddly satisfying. This is a regular hybrid from 2015 so no fancy regen braking systems at work.
Old 23rd June 2024, 10:24   #58
BHPian

What an interesting thread! I am not sure if this qualifies as it is not mechanical, but I smile everytime seeing my wife, mother and kids all fall asleep peacefully within 30 minutes of starting any long drives The space, seat comfort and cooling offered by my 5th gen City that ensures me and my Ilaiyaraja are left to ourselves for most part of the drives and I really look forward to putting on cruise at 90 and sail through.
Old 23rd June 2024, 19:52   #59

I have been driving my Kushaq 1.5 DSG for 1.5 years now; primarily on the highways of South India. I love the overtaking ability and the speed and pick up it gives me in sports mode. Many a times, I find that there is no one in my IRVM. I also love the fact that the car is nimble and sure footed and this improves confidence on the highways. This is the first time I am using Apple Car Play; it's quite cool and useful.
Old 24th June 2024, 11:45   #60
Senior - BHPian

everytime i park my T100, and walk away from it, and then when i turn back adn look at the bike, theres a sense of 'whoa, thats mine' I get that feeling everytime, and that makes my day or night.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks