Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: SUV owners, would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?
Yes (Hatchback or sedan?) 246 49.30%
No 171 34.27%
Maybe 82 16.43%
Voters: 499. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2024, 23:45   #106
BHPian

Re: SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?

I have mostly driven hatchbacks and SUVs. Cars I have owned are Baleno and XUV700. With my limited driving of sedans, I love how sedans handle but I do not see them to be my primary car. Earlier, the younger me, used to strongly oppose the idea of buying an SUV/Crossover as I used to believe they are too big for our congested roads and more harmful to the environment. But the roads that I encounter daily made me buy XUV700.

While I would go for a sedan if the infrastructure is different or if I relocate to another country, not as long as I am in Bangalore and my usual drives involve bad roads. The level of ease by which my XUV700 manages the bad (or non-existent) roads helps me everyday. I do, weirdly, end up navigating such roads when I am on trips too.

Below is an example of what I had to do recently, hardly 500m from apartments going at Rs. 11000/sft in Bangalore, when the regular roads were closed for some function. I know it was stupid of me to follow google and not turnback but, yes, my SUV managed it.

SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?-bad-road.jpeg

The photo is not sufficiently highlighting the slush and the height of the crest in between. No hatchback or sedan could have gone through here.
Old 27th June 2024, 09:32   #107

Re: SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?

Though it would be a 'Yes' for me, it's also best to point out that the No's at times are not due to the type of car by itself. As big as the difference can be between driving an SUV/MUV and a Sedan/Hatchback, it's mainly just certain road aspects where the perspective changes. It's just a perspective shift apart from these few aspects.

Firstly it's bad speed breakers. With a poorly designed speed breaker, even with a car with the highest ground clearance I have found myself trying to go diagonally over certain speed breakers. And on the same ones, the only difference is that the SUV's take them slow. On a correctly designed speed breaker, there is not much of a difference unless the car is lowered.

Next is bad roads of course, where it slows the speeds of any sedan/hatchback to a standstill to maneuver through. This is again subjective as it is sometimes the same with SUV's. Even though they are higher, some potholes and bad patches are just too grave to say "This would have been easier in an SUV". The difference is in a Sedan/Hatchback you would crunch your way through and in an SUV you would just bounce your way through (annoyingly)

Of course, we have a lot of non-existent roads where SUVs would outright rule the "roads" but apart from that it would not be much of a difference.
Old 27th June 2024, 19:54   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Size:

SUVs and crossovers are large. In a country like India, where the might is right, size does matter. More road users are likely to give you way if you drive a large SUV than any other type of car. Smaller cars are often bullied by other road users, but you hardly see anyone messing with something like a Toyota Fortuner or MG Gloster.
Quote:
Macho styling and imposing road presence:

SUVs with big bodies and large wheels & tyres look macho in comparison with sedans and hatchbacks. They have an imposing presence. Not many would like a car that has no street presence. Hence SUVs and crossovers have gained ground in India.
Quote:
Driving position:

SUVs and crossovers are higher than other types of cars. Their seating is also higher than other cars. Therefore, they offer a much more commanding driving position. This gives the drivers a better view of the road which is very important in India. One can easily spot bumps, potholes and irregularities on the road while driving and take action accordingly. This is not so easy in a low-slung sedan or hatchback.

Below is a perspective of a Sedan user, never owned an SUV but have driven them:
Terms that have been bolded above are the reason I have shunned away from buying an Crossover/SUV. These terms that most of the SUV owners use to justify their purchase are so cringe and People seem to really be buying SUVs for a wrong reason.

"Smaller cars are bullied"
Why are people now buying Cars to bully others on the road? A lot of SUV owners have some or the other story of how they bullied a smaller vehicle!
I also had a first hand experience where a SUV tried to bully me, he did get the realization later on that he messed with the wrong person.

"Macho styling and imposing road presence" - This statement is so cringe, I literally make a weird cringe face every time, I read such statements. I dont really get people need vehicles to show Macho-ness, this just implies that he/she is a nobody without their beloved SUVs. Looks are subjective - but from a Sedan guys perspective I find SUVs to be really boring to look at, they are just big rectangular boxes with wheels!

"Commanding driving position"? - This is another cringe statement boasted by SUV owners - Commanding position, Seriously, what is it anyways? Every time I drove a crossover or a SUV it felt like driving a Tempo, not that anything is wrong with it but I don't get why did people start preferring a Tempo/Truck like driving position compared to cool laid back F1/sports car like positions. Again from a Sedan guys perspective, you actually look cool when driving a Sedan in that laid back position compared to the head bobbing upright position of a SUV.
This fake feeling of being superior just because you are sitting 200-220mm above the road is really toxic and was probably the reason for my encounter as stated above.

SUVs are indeed functional but most of the reasons provided here are the same reasons told by the SUV owners while buying one. If I ever buy an SUV, it would only be because I want to go through roads where 170mm of ground clearance is not sufficient. SUVs don't really look good to me, except for a very few.
All other reasons are irrelevant, Sedans have a bigger boot space, I don't bully people on road, don't need an SUV for Maaaacho ness, I don't drive like a maniac to seep between every gap in traffic or go off the side of the roads to overtake or jump dividers; because I own SUV - I is Macho - give way!
m3t4ph0r1c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 23:43   #109
BHPian

Why SUV?
Spacious, Safe, and Capable

Not discounting sedans, they are fast, plush ride quality and comfortable for 4.

SUVs are known for their generous interior space. They typically offer more headroom, legroom, and cargo space than sedans, making them ideal for growing families. Many SUVs come with configurable seating options, allowing you to fold down seats to create even more cargo space. This versatility makes them suitable for various activities, from road trips and camping adventures to hauling furniture and sporting equipment.

SUVs generally have a higher ground clearance than sedans. This translates to better visibility for the driver and a more commanding view of the road. Additionally, the higher ride height can be advantageous in poor weather conditions, allowing you to navigate through uneven terrain more confidently. Many SUVs come equipped with all-wheel drive (AWD) systems, which provide superior traction and handling in slippery conditions. This makes them ideal for drivers who live in areas with challenging weather or who frequently travel off-road.

Modern SUVs offer a comfortable and smooth ride quality. Their suspension systems are often designed to absorb bumps and road imperfections more effectively than sedans. Mainly because they have longer suspension travel to cover both potholes and humps. This can be especially beneficial for long drives or for passengers who are prone to motion sickness. While some may perceive SUVs to be less fuel-efficient than sedans, advancements in engine technology have narrowed the gap significantly. Additionally, many SUVs are now available in hybrid and electric models, offering improved fuel economy and eco-friendly operation.

SUVs have evolved from rugged, utilitarian vehicles to stylish and sophisticated cruisers. They come in a wide range of sizes, designs, and trims to suit different tastes and preferences. Whether you're looking for a sleek and sporty SUV or a rugged and adventurous off-roader, there's an SUV to match your style.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks