Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: SUV owners, would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?
Yes (Hatchback or sedan?) 244 49.09%
No 171 34.41%
Maybe 82 16.50%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2024, 09:08   #91
BHPian

Re: SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?

Voted Yes! Our Innova Crysta does the job wonderfully in ferrying everyone to required places, but buying another SUV (like proper 4x4 one) with Innova nope! Might buy one as a replacement for Innova like in 10 years or something. The second 'car' we always has been a sedan. I am all in for the roads not good, Indian infra is bad, full of potholes but, I haven't faced any major pothole related incidents. Most of the current era sedans can tackle the roads which Creta , Seltos navigates. If you count the Korean twins as SUV's!

i20 N-Line might be a fine replacement for our aging Ford Figo. Other sedans are running perfectly fine!

So Yes, another sedan or hatchback any day.
Old 21st June 2024, 10:10   #92

Re: SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?

I currently drive a sub-compact SUV, I used to drive a Brio earlier, and I got so comfortable with a low seating position, that I drive my Ecosport with the driver's seat at the lowest position. I would happily buy a sedan when I replace the ES. Having travelled far and wide in a Honda City (Gen 4, Gen 2) and an Esteem, the one thing that I absolutely hate in SUV's is the side to side bobbing on bumpy roads at slow speeds.

While neither of my cars has been particularly spacious, I don't think SUV's or crossovers (5-seater variants at least) have that big an advantage, unless you factor in loading till the roof liner with the parcel shelf off (while would be a complete no-go in my case). Whatever utility I achieve with my Ecosport could happily be done in an i20, Verna would do a bit more for sure (Hyundai is just a random example).

The only added difficulty in my case would be putting in the child seat and seating the infant in it. While ingress egress is marginally more difficult, when inside, most sedans and hatchbacks are at par with passenger comfort. The peace of mind of the higher ground clearance, that is embarrassingly critical for most.

What I think hasn't been covered, is that SUV's usually have higher contact patch radius, plus higher profile tyres, that I think contributes to better cabin comfort from driving on patchy roads at highway speeds.
Old 21st June 2024, 12:28   #93
BHPian

I voted "Maybe" since I might buy a hatchback again when it's time to replace one of our hatchbacks - their small footprint is a boon in the city plus they are more fuel efficient too compared to most SUVs (they're definitely more fuel efficient than my Safari). I doubt that I will buy a sedan though, when I already have an SUV.
Old 21st June 2024, 12:31   #94
Senior - BHPian

Voted Maybe.

I have a Harrier now, if I were to ever go back, it would be to a proper Sedan and not to a Hatchback. I've owned a Indica and a Dzire in the past.
Old 21st June 2024, 13:27   #95
BHPian

Voted for NO.

Reason seems to be obvious. Indian market has shifted from hatchback country to SUV country (Punch was leading the sales charts till May)
Some points in favor of SUVs:
1. With Higher ground clearance, the worry of hitting a speed breaker/potholes is somewhat negated.
2. Comparatively better build than lower hatches/sedans (There could be some exceptions such as Virtus/Slavia) due to higher entry points cost-wise translating to higher budget available for an OEM to build a relatively stronger body shell.
3. Sedans, once famed for the driving dynamics are matched (or nearly so) by monocoque constructions unlike the traditional body on frame SUVs of the earlier era, providing a similar driving experience.
4. "Perceived" status symbol of the aam-junta of a long car is a costly car now replaced with bulkier SUVs are more costly.
5. Practicalities- Ingress/Egress is more convenient, seating position, visibility inside out, storage in terms of boot capacity (one could argue on this, but, I am talking about bigger SUVs and not sub-compact and compact ones)
Old 21st June 2024, 16:06   #96
Senior - BHPian

Voted - No!
My daily drive is BMW X3 (G01). Having driven on bad, under construction roads, I would safely say that I'm not going back to relatively low ground clearance sedans or hatchbacks.

These new age mid size SUV's behave like sedans so no more motion sickness. Also they act as 'one car' for all your needs!
Old 21st June 2024, 18:53   #97

Definitely Yes!
Got my absolutely gorgeous Slavia 1.5 Dsg this week and have already completed 1500 odd kms, With atleast 1000 kms on the State highways/rural roads inside Karnataka, haven't bottomed out once. Not saying it will never bottom out but atleast with the ill designed speed breakers I've come across till now, this sedan with a high ground clearance has easily managed without scraping. So can surely say given the way it drives, no going back to the crossovers(Creta, Kushaq, Nexon etc) again. BOF SUVs are definitely not my taste/requirements !
apple.kiddo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 19:07   #98

Voted - No

Just now moved (...ing) from sedan to a proper 4x4 SUV. Sedans are great for driving and enjoyed my (sedan) ride till it lasted but for Indian Road conditions including Highways where there can be a sudden broken patch/crater or road construction/de-tour, you will have an issue with a Sedan.
Old 21st June 2024, 19:33   #99

For me it's Yes, driving inside city in bulky SUV is a tough task. In recent past I have changed my ride from Hatch to SUV and I miss my old ride every time I have to drive it in bumper to bumper traffic of Bangalore. Highway drive is a different story though!
Old 21st June 2024, 22:58   #100
BHPian

Voted No. Even though I’ve had many sedans before and own a 320d, still for our bumpy potholed, broken tarmac prefer my Thar as I can drive pedal to metal in it. SUVs offer better visibility and I prefer climbing in to stooping down.
Most of our roads and driving manners don’t merit exceeding 120 kph (even on our e-ways) and sedan dynamics matter more at higher speed.
Honestly, 8 times out of 10 i prefer my Thar keys to my BMW and thats saying a lot and oh btw, I’m at the wrong side of my fifties.
Old 22nd June 2024, 17:57   #101
BHPian

Voted YES!

Over the years I have owned sedans [mitsubishi Galant, Honda City v-Tech, Fiat Linea T-JET, Honda Civic 2019] and these have had one thing in common unparalleled driving pleasure! It cannot be matched by the average pseudo SUVs on sale today by a mile!

In addition to these cars I also have had a 2007 Innova V model which we sold in 2021 (still regret selling it!), a Hyundai Santro automatic (sold it after 7 years) and still own my trusty Hyundai i10 automatic 2010 as a city run about.

Having said that, I just sold my Honda CIVIC and am seriously considering buying a 7 seater SUV and mostly leaning towards a Fortuner Diesal 4x4 AT. But this I am doing because of the family need now that we have a dog as well when we travel we need the comfort and space a proper 7 seater can provide along with good safety.

While investigating the 7 seaters while the MPV like Innova Crsyta and Hycross are obvious choices, I am leaning towards a proper SUV with 4x4.

When time and budget permits I will certainly add a sedan to the garage in the future!
Old 23rd June 2024, 18:35   #102
BHPian

Looking over the roof of a Creta in front is one of the many good qualities of driving a Jimny in town. But I will probably buy a hatchback or sedan for twisties and my solo highway drives. But I’ve been tempted by the Ignis and the Citroen C3 as a sort of a halfway house. Also the Fronx with the front seat jacked up. It’s just that none of these cars will have the go kart like handling of a true hatch like the Swift or Figo.
Old 23rd June 2024, 18:47   #103
BHPian

After owning a Yeti for 12 years now I was considering the City hybrid quite seriously. The other car I have now is a Tata Tiago ev. The latter is good for city runs. Strangely no one is offering an awd suv at a reasonable price coupled with good ASS. The sitting position in the good old amby was good too.

But nothing beats a sedan for fast runs provided the roads are good. Maybe Honda will wake up and provide a hybrid CRV. Would certainly be worth considering.
Old 23rd June 2024, 20:30   #104
BHPian

Voted YES, but I'd say only as a 2nd or 3rd car. I believe one car should at least be an crossover/pseudo SUV to keep yourself comfortable and worry free about bad roads until our country develops so much that sedans are enough. But, if I can afford it, my second or 3rd car will be a sedan so that I can enjoy driving. I have gotten to a stage that I can feel that the lower CoG does elevate the experience a lot and I prefer that. But this is a question of where you live. I have faced a bottoming out issue only once (when I wasn't really an experience driver) with either the Amaze or the 4th Gen city and I very rarely worry about dug up roads. So ground clearance, when I'm driving solo or 2-up is not an issue along as I have at least 165mm.
Old 26th June 2024, 23:23   #105
BHPian

Voted Yes.

I drive a Pajero Sport. We recently brought home a Nissan Magnite AMT which will serve as a second car in the family.

Although it's a micro-SUV, I consider it as more a beefed-up hatchback than an SUV.

Now, despite the massive difference in every spec and every sense when compared with the Pajero, I have come to like the Magnite.

I did a 700km round trip which included highways, country roads, village roads; and it handled everything with aplomb.

Last edited by sdubey23 : 26th June 2024 at 23:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks