Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: SUV owners, would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?
Yes (Hatchback or sedan?) 246 49.30%
No 171 34.27%
Maybe 82 16.43%
Voters: 499. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2024, 22:11   #76
BHPian

Re: SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?

Voted "Yes."

I transitioned from the mighty Hexa to an Audi A4 Avant, and then back to an SUV i.e., a BMW X1. The commanding view, spacious interior, and freedom from worrying about road conditions are definite advantages of an SUV.

However, sedans have their appeal. They offer a classier appearance and better driving dynamics due to their lower ground clearance.

If I had a larger budget, I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade my X1 to a 5 Series.
Old 20th June 2024, 23:31   #77
BHPian

Re: SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?

Voted for Yes, as a second car.
Till now all my cars were either SUVs or hatchbacks. Someday I will buy a Sedan.
Old 20th June 2024, 23:57   #78
BHPian

Would definitely love to own a Sedan like Virtus. I think a Sedan is the complete "car" except they are impractical on bad Indian road conditions, have lower height so difficult for elderly to get in, feel less imposing on roads etc. BUT I feel they are the prettiest cars on road! Tell me one bad looking full size Sedan. There arent many. Plus, they offer better handling, dynamics, pleasure and boot space! When Indian roads are finally up to the standards in the next 20 years, I think the time would come when Sedans would be practical again.. Till then, its the SUV era
SlowerthanMaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 00:25   #79
BHPian

Cant vote but it is a Yes. My current one is a sedan but previously I had an SUV for 4 and half years. Sold it when I left UK and back in India I now have a Sedan.

Yes ground clearance is an issue. Ingress/egress is an issue and my parents never get into my car and always opt for their Nexon ��. But still I love sedans. I would love a hot hatch as well but I don't see any proper hot hatches in decent price range in India at the moment though.
Old 21st June 2024, 00:25   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid View Post
Who said? My cycle can easily fit into the rear seat of my Rapid.
BTW, its the same size as yours.
Easily is a relative term my friend. Don't take it personally. I've used a nano and other sedans to move my mountain bike too. Just because it is possible does not mean it is "easy".

In my experience, it's far easier to open up a tall boot and place the bike carefully in free open space than it is to somehow muscle through and shove a large bike with wide handlebars through in a tiny gap on a sedan while getting your body and head squished down. Only the notchbacks from Skoda come anywhere close to the freedom I have on my Hyundai tucson. Once I got used to the freedom of space and luggage loading, there was no going back for me, not to mention being rescued by 4wd in slush on occasion that none of my other cars could ever do. But if the rapid works for you, by all means, go for it!
shankarbn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 00:26   #81
Senior - BHPian

Voted 'yes'.

After driving a crossover (Forester) and SUV (Tiguan Allspace) for 14 years (Combined), I have realised that nothing can match low slung sedan/hatchbacks when it comes to driving pleasure and comfort on the tarmac. Yes, you sit low and don't probably have a commanding view, but as long as the visibility is good (no high set dashboards) you can sit comfortably and drive for hours without getting tired. This is because of the viewing angle (which is more horizontal compared to SUVs) allows you to lean back where the entire back is well supported.

My next car is probably going to be relatively low slung car (sedan, station wagon, hatch, low slung crossover).

PS: Some things you realise only when you get older (young body is much more forgiving to the compromised ergonomics or firm rides )

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st June 2024 at 02:40.
Old 21st June 2024, 01:26   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreOfGravity View Post
I disagree big time. Sedans, being much longer, easily trump SUVs / crossovers in this regard. More often than not, you'll have very good legroom and kneeroom in sedans as compared to their high-riding counterparts. I think this point should be rewritten as "Better headroom" instead of "Cabin space".
Spot on. I have always felt 3rd rows in SUVs and rear seats on crossovers to be somewhat cramped. The legroom and comfort that sedans have to offer just cannot be matched by SUVs or crossovers.

In terms of luggage carrying capacity, the cavernous boots of sedans IMHO are pretty good for hauling serious cargo!

For a price range < 30L on road, it is also quite difficult to get the feature set that makes SUVs really attractive to me, 4WD and confident go-anywhere behaviour. A Mitsubishi Cedia is my current steed, planning to get a Skoda Slavia soon

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st June 2024 at 02:40. Reason: Trimming quoted text and minor clean up edits.
Nevermore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 02:29   #83

Two reasons for which I won’t go back to a sedan:
- High driving position that offers a better view of the road;
- Road presence that commands respect from other vehicles which makes driving in traffic a lesser hassle.

I am driving an XUV for last two years and drove a City for almost eight years prior to that.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st June 2024 at 02:39. Reason: Minor clean up edits.
Old 21st June 2024, 03:00   #84
BHPian

Voted yes!
Our current garrage comprises of a 2021 Thar and a 2022 XUV 700, just recently added a pre loved 3 series to it as well.
This is our first sedan and we couldn't be more happier. Its a pain to drive in the city or our village roads , but give it a nice highway and it'll keep you grinning ear to ear.
Despite all its disadvantages i think a sedan will always have that character and just for that reason it'll always have quite a few takers.
VRPAI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 05:15   #85

Moved from Ecosport to Virtus

- Driving dynamic and comfort. The car feels comfortable and planted at high speeds.
- Extra boot space.
- Extra leg room for stretching.

Dislikes:
- Ingres Egres difficult for elderly. At times even I feel that.
- Leg position has to be mostly extended. In case of suv due to high stance you can keep your legs straight but if you try this in sedan you go into a crouch position. So you are stuck in one position.
- sometimes you feel that you are too close to the road. Esp when a huge truck pulls over near you, you can see everything under the truck. Bit scary
BlueGod is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 07:17   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh boy!!.. I'm a Sedan guy anyday. I would really really prefer to live on top of a hill with a big winding road leading upto only home. Everyday, afterwork, drive back home in a fast high revving petrol sedan. Now.. That would freshen you up and give you perspective about whatever is it is bugging you!

However, real life is different. . There are potholes, there is traffic, there are idiotic humps and more.. I will choose an SUV just for peace of mine through all these. Also, the only comfort an SUV offers me is the high seating position, which makes it easy to navigate through traffic.
Old 21st June 2024, 07:49   #87
BHPian

Voted No !!

I have never been a sedan guy. Even my first car (Santro) had an upright seating position, so a sedan's low seating doesn't make me feel comfortable. Also, in Bengaluru, the road conditions and unscientific speed-breakers ensure that I don't even think of a sedan.
Old 21st June 2024, 08:03   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Right in the middle of this kind of situation. Having had a SUV for the past 22 years, I am now at a point where I have to choose my next ride. And a sedan is not in the picture. Thoughts are between SUV and Crossovers, even though I do occasionally drive my wife's hatch. Time will tell which one I get - body style / brand / make. Keeping my options open, with main criteria right now is a car that's in good condition. But then I do have a small SUV to run around in, and the addition is what I am talking about.
Old 21st June 2024, 08:12   #89
BHPian

It's SUVs/crossovers/MPVs for me, always has been and most likely will always be that way.

But... everytime a Virtus goes by, my heart skips a beat ! It's just so proportionate and well-balanced.
SithDefender is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 08:51   #90
BHPian

CSUV Nexon Diesel AMT for me since 2018, just love the looks and styling, usage 80% highways, for local and school duties small hatchback.

We're 2 Sr. Citizen and quite enjoy this setup. Eyeing a 4×4 since long for that once in a while kick.

The last sedan we had in the family was a Premier Padmini in the '80s.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks