Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: SUV owners, would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?
Yes (Hatchback or sedan?) 244 49.09%
No 171 34.41%
Maybe 82 16.50%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2024, 18:25   #61
gus
BHPian

Re: SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?

There are actually only a few real SUVs out there and almost all of them are selling in minuscule numbers (Except Thar), all other claimed SUVs are just hatchbacks on steroids. Yes, they provide better ingress and egress and better ground clearance but apart from it I personally don't think they have any other added advantage over actual Sedans (and not stretched hatchbacks).

As for the ground clearance, with the pace at which the Indian roads have improved and continue to do so, the ground clearance advantage is more on paper rather on ground. In my experience of owning a Honda City 5th gen and driving it around for 3 years now, I haven't ever scraped its bottom. :P

Coming to the point of boot capacity, Indian families have shrunk- from one car in a big joint family a few decades back to one car per family of 3-5 people today. Boot space in a sedan is enough for the luggage of 4 people. For people with bigger families, mini SUVs are worse than sedans, and mid-sized SUVs are similar or slightly better in boot capacity. Bigger families need an MPV like Innova or Ertiga - not a mid-sized SUV. Again fully loaded MPVs will hardly have space for luggage for all.

As for off-roading - I haven't heard ANYBODY ever say, "kya mausam hai.... aaj chalo offroading k liye chaltey hai .."

As a driver, I can vouch for the driving pleasure of a sedan compared to a mini/mid/large SUV or an MPV. Sedans have minimal body roll, better stability and fun around curves. They are much easier to handle compared to any SUV/MPV.

Picture this for comparison, if roads were a football field, SUVs in them would be like sumo wrestlers and sedans like athletes.

SUV owners - N.O.M.

In India, we hardly have roads to drive enthusiastically since traffic is a mess so most of us don't know what driving pleasure is apart from flat-out acceleration on a straight empty highway. So it's a pity that choosing a car nowadays depends more on the size of one's ego and pocket rather than driving pleasure. Otherwise, how would you explain somebody buying a Fortuner to drive around the city rather than a Toyota Camry?
Old 20th June 2024, 19:12   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?

Waiting for my kid to grow up a bit, I got SUV just because of him as he wanted spacious backseat and wanted to sleep on long drives.

I am itching to get a Sedan as soon he is ready, if given a choice I will sell the hector tomorrow and replace it with BYD seal.
Old 20th June 2024, 19:23   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted NO. The fact is that as long as I am
in India, I will never buy a sedan or hatchback again.

Revealed preference - in 2016, we had two sedans - a Superb and a Vento. Today we have 3 SUVs (or Crossovers if you prefer) - an X3, a Tiguan and an Ioniq 5.

All three Crossovers are almost as good to drive on good roads as a sedan. But on normal Bombay roads with potholes and speed breakers, the extra ground clearance makes a huge difference - and makes driving far more carefree. Further the Crossovers occupy a smaller footprint than Sedans with comparable interior space. Each of these vehicles is approximately 4650 mm long - while my Superb was 4838 mm long, while luxury sedans (even short wheel base versions) reach close to 5000 mm. And boot space is much more than the stated amount since you can load all the way to the roof when needed. Finally you don’t have to worry as much about wading through small puddles that come up several times in every monsoon.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 19:28   #64
BHPian

I have been using City iVtec for the past 10 years and everyone in the family likes it. GC issue is sorted now with higher sidewall tyres, using 195/65R15 that increase the GC approximately to 178 mm.
I guess we as automobile lovers will like all body types and depends on use case have certain preference.
For me, personally I like all body types, given a choice I will have all body types in my garage.
jeygani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 19:28   #65

I think the answer to this question depends on many factors - personal preferences and location specific conditions. For Indian road conditions (atleast in most parts of my city/state, typical main city roads can be taken as not-well-laid off road testing tracks) and due to flooding during rain, the main criteria for vehicles is high ground clearance. I would prefer sedans, if not for these issues. Even some of the tolled highways like NH-47 have huge potholes, scary for most suspensions. So here in India, always, crossovers or vehicles with more than avg GC.

I was in US, had a 2014 Honda Accord and then bought a new 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid. Though Tucson Hybrid for an SUV, was a good handler, it was no match for the great Accord. Until unless you go a little offroad, or high/tall luggage carrying capacity, I felt the need for sedan everytime on US highways.
Old 20th June 2024, 19:35   #66
BHPian

Hatchback owner here and I Voted No.

The limiting factors for sedans and hatchbacks are:

1. Low & cramped seating.
2. Low ground clearance.
3. Less safety (especially collisions with trucks and other big vehicles).
4. Blinding headlights from approaching Scooters/Bikes, cars and other large vehicles.
5. Apathy from other drivers and pedestrians. No one cares!!!

I have given a generalized view here. There are always exceptions to it.

Last edited by Briarean : 20th June 2024 at 19:37.
Old 20th June 2024, 20:00   #67
Team-BHP Support

In India I will definitely vote for no. There is no chance of going for a sedan after so many years driving UV/SUV.

In the UK I frequently think of buying a sports car or a powerful sedan, but cannot make up my mind. I am so used to the high seating position that whenever I drive a friend's or a rental company's sedan, I start feeling that I am not able to see a lot of things. I am not able to enjoy the drive anymore.
Old 20th June 2024, 20:01   #68

Since I am new here I am not able to vote. Anyways giving my view here.

If I get good discount on Automatic sedan why not!.

Even I was one time seriously considering the 5 Star Verna and Humble Ciaz.

After considering both it was all boils down to ingress and seating position. My family is used to sit in WagonR and they always complain during test drive that we are feeling like sitting very low and they were used to higher sitting seats.

Verna had awesome music system and it feels like arriving ike a king in it. Had to let it go due constraints in parking space.

Ciaz all of you may know too old too boring only thing was looking for some discount but no Maruti was not giving expected discount on this aging car.

Thanks!
Old 20th June 2024, 20:09   #69
BHPian

Voted for yes!

For my daily driving- My SUV does the job. Tackles all those potholes, gets the job done without having to worry about belly- scrapping every now and then. Don’t have to come to a complete halt for the most part
Being an SUV it’s easier to manoeuver around town as people make way as compared to the saloon.

For long highway drives- The pleasure that I get while cornering my low slung sedan is unmatched. In the speed and handling department is where Sedans shine and are unbeatable. Hence they’re perfect for the Expressway drives.

Both are perfect in their own manner, all boils down to what one’s driving needs are…

Last edited by Auto spawn : 20th June 2024 at 20:10. Reason: Adding more content
Old 20th June 2024, 20:21   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankarbn View Post
No sedan can do this so easily. Attachment 2618751
Who said? My cycle can easily fit into the rear seat of my Rapid.
BTW, its the same size as yours.
Old 20th June 2024, 20:26   #71
BHPian

Voted maybe, might buy one for the joy of driving someday.

Have owned a small hatchback, a sedan, a CUV/Crossover/SUV and an MUV.

I have scraped the bottom and front bumper of my sedan multiple times.
It's also a tough time loading long or tall cargo/luggage.

If it's for short drives in the city with a maximum of 3 or 4 people, nothing beats a small-ish CUV/SUV.
Enough flexibility for loading cargo by folding rear seats down and has good ground clearance.

As my family grew, I realised nothing beats an MPV in terms of moving people and cargo together for long road trips and on those occasions where I need to ferry a lot of people or load up a dog crate or other types of large cargo.

Last edited by carnutfrombanga : 20th June 2024 at 20:28.
Old 20th June 2024, 20:29   #72
BHPian

I am not going to vote as I have never owned an SUV till date. Have always been a sedan guy (my first car was a hatchback) & I may never even own a SUV in future. This poll will make more sense only if members who are owning or have owned both (SUV & sedan/hatchback) vote. Else, it will be biased.

However, I would like to put across my perspective on this topic. As rightly called out earlier in this thread, the GC of current sedans like Slavia & Virtus can put a lot of cars to shame. The whole low GC in sedans claim is blown out of proportions. Other than people carrying capacity in SUV’s costing >30 lakhs I don’t see any advantage of owning SUV/Pseudo SUV/MUV/CSUV (whatever nomenclature one wants to use) costing <25 Lakhs over the current sedans. Nothing can match the driving pleasure a sedan offers - period.

Last edited by Torque123 : 20th June 2024 at 20:32.
Old 20th June 2024, 20:49   #73

Nothing matches finesse of a sedan. I am talking about luxury segment. Coming from a creta and going to A4 was a tough decision but overall comfort of a sedan due to the planted ride is something SUVs lack.
Both have advantages. SUV definitely has a edge in monsoon and hilly drives.
So what suits you is the one for you.
Old 20th June 2024, 20:51   #74
BHPian

Yes but only as a second/project car.

The peace of mind associated with not having to bother creeping over speed breakers or driving a little faster than crawling speeds over bad patches is something iam not willing to trade anymore. I drive an Ecosport while also having access to driving a Polo GT TSI and a Punto Abarth. As much fun as they are, i realised i was also clamped up and tensed when i drive those cars in our roads that the fear of scrapping the underbelly or destroying the alloys (those scorpion alloys on the abarth is really hard to come by) just doesn't let me enjoy them to the level i though i would.

So if i have an option to get a project car, I would definitely get something like an Abarth or 118D but Iam not replacing my Ecosport with a Sedan/Hatchback.
Old 20th June 2024, 21:51   #75
BHPian

Voted No.

I have been driving my Ertiga now well over 12 years. With an aged back and aged knees and getting pampered with superb visibility, I do not intend to go back to a crouching position. I am 6'1".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks