Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: SUV owners, would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?
Yes (Hatchback or sedan?) 244 49.09%
No 171 34.41%
Maybe 82 16.50%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2024, 14:02   #46
BHPian

Re: SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?

A good hatch is my personal choice of vehicle any day. They are compact, zippy, nimble unlike my elephant if a Scorpio N

My mom does call our garage the haathi ghoda garage - city being the ghoda
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 14:04   #47
BHPian

Re: SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?

Voted YES.

As a family, we have a 2023 XUV700, a 2013 XUV500, a 2012 Etios Liva and a 2013 Alto K10.

The XUVs are when the family has to go out together. Dad uses the Liva in the city.

The Alto is the car my brother and I want, for fun. Even a simple ride through the city at night is just so much more fun.

If it were possible, yes, we'd love to have a proper fun sedan in the garage someday. There's no denying the advantages of the XUV, but in terms of fun, the Alto wins.
Old 20th June 2024, 14:06   #48
BHPian

YES! There are multiple factors to this-
  • Now that everyone is getting a SUV the craze for it will slowly start going down over a decade.
  • The practical factors like bad road conditions, poor drainage systems causing water logging etc are one of the major reasons why SUVs are sought after by a logical person, if overtime these issues are fixed then people might start reconsidering sedans and hatchbacks.
  • Once the Indian car market matures, newer gen might actually start valuing ride, handling characteristics of sedans.
  • The fuel efficiency of SUVs in general is not great, with a shift towards EV, hatchbacks and sedans being lighter and more aerodynamic are likely have better power consumption numbers.
  • Govt is likely to make use of this opportunity and tax the SUV buyers more heavily as the demand increases.
Considering all this I might actually go from a SUV to Sedan in my next purchase but that’s because it’s 10 years in future. If we have to buy something new today, it’ll be an SUV for sure.

Last edited by sapien : 20th June 2024 at 14:08.
Old 20th June 2024, 14:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskinash View Post
The Virtus and Slavia have more ground clearance than the hatchbacks, with the exception of tall boys like the Ignis and the S-Presso. Always look at the numbers. Appearances can be deceiving!

Ground Clearance
Slavia - 179mm
Virtus - 179mm
City - 165mm
i20 - 170mm
Altroz - 165mm
Swift - 163mm
Alto - 160mm
I get your point. I think ground clearance is too broad a term.

What I wanted to actually say was in addition to the ground clearance, the overhang on both sides and the sheer length makes most sedans impractical for me. And compact sedans don't work for me too, as I don't like the looks (they look like they ran into a wall).

I could mindlessly run my Brezza up and down the ramp to my house's parking lot, with not much care about hitting the road. But the Slavia I took for a test drive long ago scraped its front on the road. Parking a car that length was also not so easy, even if it had the exact same turn radius and ground clearance as my Brezza.
Old 20th June 2024, 14:49   #50
BHPian

Voted no.
I went from a sedan to SUV primarily for the ease of ingress/egress, legroom during travel and higher GC.
This was dictated more by phase of life rather than lifestyle choices. Sedans would no longer work out.

People who opted for an SUV as a lifestyle statement rather than a requirement may have the option of shifting back to sedans if they find value in it.
Old 20th June 2024, 14:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Stuck to SUV after moving from BMW to Fortuner and prefer to continue so.
Old 20th June 2024, 15:01   #52
BHPian

I did have Safari Storme earlier along with Vista, and I used to use Storme as my daily drive as it was easy to drive in Bangalore's unruly traffic. Vista was used only when I had to go to some very narrow streets or where I was unsure of finding a parking space. I had bought Storme in 4x4 avatar not for hard core off-roading. It was only to have confidence while taking difficult terrain, and in 6.5 years of my ownership of Storme I never needed to use 4x4.

Currently I have a Hexa XTA along with Vista and Punch AMT. Hexa is my first choice to go any places where I can find parking space, and it is my daily drive for easy of driving in unruly Bangalore traffic. Also, whenever we go out with another family (within Bangalore), Hexa is the car to be taken out as it can accomodate 7 persons (2 families) in comfort .

I have never owned a Sedan. But I will always have a combination of a bigger SUV (6-7 seater) and a small hatchback for myself. Bigger SUV also for the reason that I survived a rear ending accident in 2022 with a truck only because I was in a high car (Safari Storme) which did not go fully under the truck. In any low slung car, today I would have been a statistics.

Last edited by speed79 : 20th June 2024 at 15:12.
speed79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 15:23   #53

I do own a Fortuner (petrol) 2023 and Elantra (petrol) 2017 currently and I find myself picking my Elantra key more often than not. The drive quality of sedan is way better and finally when I let it go now that it is going to reach 2 lakh kms, I'd be in market looking for a sedan only to replace it. To sum it up, SUVs have a lot of things going for them, but sedan has that one thing which outweighs everything else that is the drive itself.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th June 2024 at 16:59. Reason: Please capitalise names and acronyms.
Toothrocker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 15:46   #54
BHPian

Voted No -

Seadans do have several positives - Like in my mind, design wise they are so much more appealing. They are much more fun to drive as well.

SUV's on the other hand are much more comfortable, I love the commanding view while driving ( never knew how important it is, unless I started driving in the mid west).

That said - few years back, I had to live with my brother in laws Honda Accord. Its this time I realized how much I like the ease of ingress and outgress. Further even when hauling luggage - its so much more easier to load the luggage in the SUV. I am not getting any younger and if it bothered me so much then, I think it will only bother much more as I grow old. Hence purely for everyday comfort, I would stay with SUV.
Old 20th June 2024, 15:48   #55
BHPian

Never as my only car. I went from a Hyundai accent to an e46 BMW 3 series to a nano to a Hyundai tucson to a BMW X3. I miss NONE of the performance from the sedans and going back to sedans means losing ground clearance, scraping on bumps and completely impractical storage inside the car for my hobbies. Absolutely 100% NOT going to buy a sedan as my main car ever in my life. SUVs rule! See the image below. No sedan can do this so easily. SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?-img_2311.jpeg
shankarbn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 15:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Ingress & egress:

Getting in and out of SUVs and crossovers in particular is a much easier affair than in a sedan or hatchback. Due to the higher roof, you do not need to bend down as you would do in a sedan or hatchback. The seats are also at a more natural height. You simply walk into the cabin and slide into the seat.

Off-roading capability:

Many SUVs and crossovers are equipped with four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive systems. This allows them to drive out of sticky situations such as driving through mud or sand. They can climb up and down the steepest of slopes - things that other types of cars would not even dream of doing.

Attachment 2618408
I'll differ on a few aspects when we compare SUVs to hatchback or sedans.
Ingress & egress: Senior citizens have a tough time with SUVs to climb in and out. A side-step becomes a mandatory accessory. That step then reduces your ground clearance.

Off-roading capability: I completely beg to differ here. Most SUVs in market are not capable of any true off-roading due to their FWD setup, bulk and lengthy wheelbase. Most cross overs do a better job in this aspect. I am saddened to see the Thar and Safari taking this approach as well with their 5 door 4x2 configurations. Stepping aside from their true off-roader DNA.

Will I buy a Hatchback or Sedan?
Sedan no because of their approach and departure angle.
Hatchback yes, for city use.
I prefer driving a smaller automatic hatchback in city where I can cut through traffic and have better chances of finding a park spot. Also these top ends come loaded with features at a much lower cost.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 16:57   #57
BHPian

Voted yes. As a primary car? No.

I intend to keep my Scorpio-N as long as possible because it is the perfect go-anywhere all-rounder. I don't have to worry about ground clearance or terrain before taking it out.

On the other hand, I intend to get a G30 530i/530d if possible at it's 9th year mark. This will be purely a weekend/events/good times secondary vehicle.
Old 20th June 2024, 17:13   #58
srh
BHPian

Pseudo SUVs it is for me. Though I would prefer one which is RWD. Alas not a decent option on that front unless one opts for a BOF.

With the kind of urban roads we have along with the water logging and 'speed breakers', a sedan would never make sense to me.
Old 20th June 2024, 17:42   #59

I have a sedan & hatchback 95% of the times I did not find any issue using both the cars, I never shy away from taking the cars around, where ever a CSUV can go my cars have been there, I drive friend's Jeep Compass extensively on highways and city traffic, barring highway runs the compass feels tiring to drive around in city traffic compared to my two cars.
5% of the remaining times the compass has really outshined both my cars in terms of going those extra miles.
90% of my travels are on highways and city roads with a hint of unpaved roads along the countryside.
Planning to buy a proper SUV in couple of years it will be replacing the hatchback.
Old 20th June 2024, 18:07   #60
BHPian

Yes!

I currently have a Thar and a Scross at home. Everytime I jump in the Scross I fall back in love with it, it feels so nimble and agile in comparison and I miss that feeling in the Thar.

I recently took a test drive of Slavia 1.5 DSG and i am sold on it, it has the exact same ground clearance as the Scross so no fear of bad roads too.
Mr.U is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks