Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: SUV owners, would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?
Yes (Hatchback or sedan?) 244 49.09%
No 171 34.41%
Maybe 82 16.50%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2024, 11:20   #16
BHPian

Re: SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?

An SUV+Sedan combination is the best in my humble opinion. Drives are way more fun in my 6 year old Verna as compared to our new Harrier. The low seating position with a low but decent ground clearance of 165 mm makes you feel connected with the car & coupled with the kick in the pants feel that the 1.6 crdi gives makes it addictive to drive. It feels so light & nimble and its great fun zipping in and out of the traffic as compared to lugging 1700 KGs of Tata Steel around the city.

However in terms of highway runs and bad roads the Harrier is much better no doubt.
V0id2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 11:22   #17
BHPian

Re: SUV and Crossover owners | Point of no return? Would you ever buy a sedan or hatchback again?

Voted yes.

Had to use an "SUV" for about 4 months, and I couldn't wait to be rid of it and back into a lower-slung car. They are literally nauseating. If one suffers from motion sickness, they would know.

People speak favourably of the high/commanding driving position that these cars offer. This is a dangerous line of thought! Your visibility of the road actually reduces in a car that is so high off the ground. A pedestrian, a stray animal, anything below the bonnet line are at the mercy of your attention span. Also, there are studies that link the use of SUVs to inattentiveness on the road. This feeling of invulnerability translates to careless driving more often than not. Expecting people to make way for you? What are you, a despot? The age old adage, "Baap ka road hai kya?" comes to mind xD. But, seriously, this is not a good attitude to have on the road. We need to be more considerate of other motorists, and not join this wave of apathy that is prevalent on roads today.

Then, you come to the practicality of it. SUVs are wildly compromised. If you need space, an MPV will do it better. Bad roads? Most cars sold in India can tackle bad roads. A humble Alto 800 plies as a taxi on the worst possible roads in our country. Furthermore, most SUVs sold don't even have a semblance of something like an AWD or 4x4 setup.

I will concede that SUVs look great. They have that butch square-ish design that has universal appeal. But that design was bred from a necessity to be mobile offroad. If we're buying cars solely for the way they look, or how we look in them, it is genuinely worrying. Are we really that vain and egoistic as a society?
Sensible_Speed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 11:23   #18
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes.
Will never want to miss out on the fun factor from sedans/hatchbacks. Very lucky to have a mixed garage. A hatchback is missing though. Would like to one hopefully next year.
Old 20th June 2024, 11:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have always been a sedan guy. My first car was the Opel Astra 1.6 and second car is the Mitsubishi Lancer Petrol. Nowadays, everything is an SUV. May it be a hatchback on steroids, crossovers, soft roaders, etc.

An analogy on why people prefer SUV (although the definition of SUV varies from person to person) over Sedan is why people prefer ADV motorcycles over regular motorcycles. Most roads in my city, Bombay, are in bad shape. They are only deteriorating day by day. Since one can't change this situation one changes their option (Sedan to SUV or Hatchback to SUV). SUV's supposedly have a tougher build (besides the obvious Ground Clearance) to take on Indian roads while keeping the passengers cocooned. Back in the day, Sedans were built tough as well (Esteem, Baleno Gen 1, Lancer, City Gen 1 & 2, Corolla, etc.) not sure if that can be said as of today.

Given a choice, I don't see any competent Sedans in the market today (BYD Seal is an exception). Most of them are half hearted attempts by the manufacturers due to lack of demand, barring maybe Skoda.

Can't cast my vote as Sedans is all I have ever owned till date.
Old 20th June 2024, 11:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

As a primary car? No. SUVs are better for our highways. Step off an expressway and the high ground clearance and comfortable ride are always an advantage.

But, as a second car, for in city runabouts, nothing can beat a small hatchback. But, it has to be a safe one. Once our Tigor retires, I am thinking of an Altroz DCA or a Tiago EV for that role.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 11:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

As an only car I may not consider a sedan or hatchback given my usecase. However as a second car or city car a big yes. If you like to drive and if roads are good, nothing like a fast sedan or a good handling hatchback. The sedans also are cheaper to buy and more frugal. Compared to crossover/SUV in similar price range, I find sedans offer bit more features and come with better interiors.
Old 20th June 2024, 11:31   #22
jsl
BHPian

Voted No!
Earlier used to have sedan(chvey Aveo) but after moving on to a crossover(creta) not going back to a sedan, the only reason being the commanding seating position it has to offer as compared to a sedan.

As for the hatchback, we currently own a 2022 Glanza, it’s a fuss free car and offers great practicality in the city but we are not going to buy a hatchback again in a long time, as it has less ground clearance and scrapes at bumps which is not expected also the seating position is quite low coming from a Creta.

Looking to replace my Hyundai Creta in a year or two, will definitely buy a SUV/MPV(Thar 5D, Scorpio-N or Innova Hycross maybe?) only because we don’t like sedans anymore and want something which offers great practicality and higher seating position.

Last edited by jsl : 20th June 2024 at 11:38. Reason: Added points
Old 20th June 2024, 11:35   #23

Voted Yes.

SUVs work best for highway runs. Sedans & compact cars work best in congested metros, making it easier to manoeuvre through thick traffic, narrow lanes & are eat up less space when parking.
Old 20th June 2024, 11:37   #24
BHPian

Voted Yes. I currently have a mixed garage and will maintain that. In fact, there have been discussions in the family that when it's time to replace our current sedan(vento), we should go for a hatchback. A small car like MG Comet would be so easy to drive in blr traffic.
Old 20th June 2024, 11:38   #25
BHPian

Voted no.

Will always pick an SUV or atleast a crossover for a daily driver. Primarily for the seating position and ground clearance. We have unpredictable road conditions and take off ramps instead of engineered speed breakers with visibility.

Would have a sedan as a project car for those speed runs and track days
Old 20th June 2024, 11:38   #26
BHPian

Voted May be.

I have a Hyundai Alcazar as my primary drive as of now, but before that had a VW Vento, and a Verna for past 8 years. I still own a Vento and whenever I take it out, it does bring a smile to by face.

That being said, the Alcazar has a better GC and much higher seating position which does give better view of the undulations on the road. And the higher seating position does help. So I am confused. I think my primary car would always be an SUV, but I would have a hatch or a sedan as a second car.
Old 20th June 2024, 11:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

My current garage has an SUV and a Hatchback (Tallboy). I was never a Sedan guy. The Hatchback satisfies my city commute with ease, and the SUV for highway drives. Areas near me does experience moderate flooding and in that case am more confident in taking out my Gurkha.
On the Sedans, both my parents and inlaws have knee issues, so low slung cars are out of question.
Old 20th June 2024, 11:48   #28
BHPian

As long as in India and in Mumbai, I will never go back to sedans, until either my location changes or the roads in Mumbai change. We as a family go to lonavala very often as we have a house there and looking at the road conditions, SUV are definitely a superior choice. More space, higher ground clearance and better tolerance to potholes is the reason for choosing SUVs over sedans. Except for newer roads like the Atal Setu and coastal road, other roads are still far from being pothole free and SUVs just take them better in their stride compared to sedans.

SUVs also have added advantage of water wading (which is a frequent phenomena during monsoons in Mumbai) and commanding seating position which are added advantages. We have a Carens, Nexon and a Brio as of now. The Brio is the oldest, a 2015 model but done only 30k kms. But yet I have been contemplating of replacing it with the 2 door petrol Thar 2WD since a while now. Just collecting enough funds, as I am done with loans now.
Old 20th June 2024, 11:58   #29
BHPian

Voting Yes

My car is Corolla Altis and the previous car was Maruti Baleno (Sedan) and have been owning only sedans in the last 25 years. My next car would most likely be a Virtus or even a A class or 2 Series.
Not that i have not driven any other SUV's as I have driven/travelled in my cousins Hycross, Compass and Kiger extensively. I always have loved the executive look of a sedan and its agility in highways. I munch miles quite fast even now (entering 50's) and have always felt that Sedan is much safer and better to drive in Cities and Highways. I have driven my Sedan through all the hill stations of southern states and to even some off roading trails to reach some remotely located resorts. What I have understood is that in these offroad locations it would either be a car or a Thar (like SUV) with 4X4 capabilities.
Old 20th June 2024, 11:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voted no.

I am a big fan of large SUVs since as long as I can remember. I have had sedans and hatches at home from the beginning and our first SUV was the Tata Sierra. Its niggles and issues aside we loved it including my dog.

After we sold the Sierra it was an all sedan garage for a few years till I got my Polo GT making it a sedan hatch combo with the Civic.

I have been driving a Thar as my daily driver for almost a year now and I just cannot see myself going back to a sedan or hatch again. Surely it has its negatives but the pros just outweigh the cons. I love the high seating position, the street presence and the fact that it can fly on rough roads & potholes without a bother.

My garage now comprises of the Thar and the Polo GT TSI and I think its a perfect combination. A proper SUV and a nice fast hatchback. And I'm the solo driver in the house now.

Last edited by manson : 20th June 2024 at 23:45. Reason: Typos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks