Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2024, 17:00   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2024 BMW 5 Series LWB (G68) | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Excellent spec and pricing.

However they've missed out on providing adaptive dampers, which was standard on the G30 in all trim levels.

I've said many times in my ownership thread of my G30 530d that the adaptive dampers are the best feature of the car, transforming the dynamics from being soft and cushy to stiff and ready to attack. They will be sorely missed here and I feel the focus on this 530Li will be too much on the comfort side to be much fun to drive at all.
The G68 does feature "stroke-dependant dampers" - I have to do more research on how this compares with the traditional adaptive dampers in the G30. From a preliminary analysis, it does seem quite sophisticated and perhaps better than the traditional adaptive dampers? Suspension experts may please throw more light. Below is the extract from the BMW Canada website which describes the stroke-dependant dampers int he i5 M60 sold there:

The BMW i5 features new stroke dependent control of the dampers on both axles, both as standard and with the M Sport Suspension. The additional hydraulic damping, which acts in the direction of pull, noticeably calms the body when compensating for the vibrations caused by uneven road surfaces and dynamic cornering, thus enhancing the sporty and confident handling of the vehicle. The additional damping is spring-travel dependent, so that vibrations building up are initially damped linearly and then additionally absorbed by a second piston in the event of greater deflection. This prevents excessive bouncing or rocking of the body when driving over large bumps and thus prevents unpleasant vibration behavior. The stroke-dependent damping serves as an active tuning element, which optimizes the balance between sportiness and comfort specifically for each model. The positive influence of the additional damping on the i5’s driving behavior is not only noticeable under heavy load, but in situations where a wheel lifts slightly after being triggered by a small bump.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 25th July 2024 at 17:01.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 17:48   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The G68 does feature "stroke-dependant dampers" - I have to do more research on how this compares with the traditional adaptive dampers in the G30. From a preliminary analysis, it does seem quite sophisticated and perhaps better than the traditional adaptive dampers? Suspension experts may please throw more light.
1) These stroke dependent dampers are the base passive suspension option. Adaptive dampers, and electric anti roll bars are optional extras. There's nothing active about them.

2) These dampers seem closely related to the lift related dampers introduced with G20. Quote from one of the G20 reviews:

"These new lift-related dampers feature both main and auxiliary springs and new internal hydraulic bump stops, which are capable of progressively increasing pressure inside the shock over bumps, while also progressively adjusting rebound."

So they are a fancy term for dampers which are still passive, with no way to change the damper stiffness on the fly, forget every few milliseconds based on live vehicle dynamics, driver inputs, individual wheel movement etc.

EDIT: just saw the Autocar review. They call out exactly what I feared - It feels soft, as their focus was to make the comfiest 5 series possible, not the sportiest. Not multifaceted like the G30 due to the missing adaptive dampers.

BMW India has messed up the specifications PDF.

They claim it comes with "comfort seats" with Electric adjustment of the upper section of the backrest, backrest width and thigh support

2024 BMW 5 Series LWB (G68) | A Close Look & Preview-spec.jpg

Now, comfort seats had a very specific meaning of the 20-way adjustable multi-contour seats in the G30 generation, with the special upper backrest that could adjust independent of the overall backrest.

Apparently, in the G60 generation, multi contour seats are gone - it's no longer even an option! Below is a pic of the comfort seat from G60. Observe the deep cut next to the thigh rest, which allows it to slide forward.

2024 BMW 5 Series LWB (G68) | A Close Look & Preview-comfortseat.jpg

Thighrest slid out:
2024 BMW 5 Series LWB (G68) | A Close Look & Preview-slide.jpg

In the Indian version, we don't have adjustable thigh rests, and likely don't have adjustable backrest width either (not able to confirm from pics).
2024 BMW 5 Series LWB (G68) | A Close Look & Preview-india.jpg

So in summary, none of the 3 features claimed (adjustable upper section of backrest, thigh rest, or backrest width) are present and these seats in the 530Li seem to be just a base variant with relatively limited adjustments, a far cry from the 20-way adjustable comfort seats that they claim to have.

Hope they fix it before someone sues them as comfort seats are a pretty useful & valuable option (~3L optional extra in the last gen in outside markets in conjunction with Nappa leather).

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th July 2024 at 09:35. Reason: Trimming quoted post and merging posts.
d3mon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 01:45   #78

Hello all!

Looking to upgrade my 2018 g30 530i to G68 530Li and confused about a few things. Would love to get valuable inputs from y'all.
  • The moonroof on the BMW 530Li doesn’t open. Is this normal? I understand that they’re introducing the Li version, originally designed for the Chinese market, which features the large screen imported from the 7 Series. This might explain why the roof remains closed.
  • The Titanium Bronze trim offers an exclusive and luxurious appearance. However, there’s a contrast with the alloy wheels, which have a different finish (chrome). Should I go for the Titanium Bronze trim or stick with the standard chrome finish
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The BMW 5 Series Long Wheelbase.pdf (8.46 MB, 49 views)
Old 26th July 2024, 05:15   #79
Team-BHP Support

At the outset I’m impressed at their pricing (keeping aside that segments have already undergone heavy overpricing over the past 3 - 4 years). At least this launch has arrested that trend. But once I move on from that, this product still seems like a confused one or a misstep at many levels.

- They’ve lost the design plot, consistent with many of the latest gen BMW offerings.
- This is an extended wheel base mid size saloon, so moving away from their core driving experience was a given. If they’re taking the fight to the LWB E to attract the back seat passenger they should have made zero compromises on the back seat experience. To skimp on boss mode functions, rear sun blinds, reclining rear seat etc are simply inexcusable.

Today, if I want a balance between driving pleasure and rear seat comfort, my sense is I’d still either gravitate to a LWB 3 series (just the right size, comparable power and perhaps better driving experience - looks better too), or consider completely off center alternatives like the extremely handsome A6 or the Lexus for a totally different direction. These are 3 cars I’d consider very closely before plonking money on this generation of the 5 series.

The only good thing with this launch is hopefully it makes Mercedes take a pause and closely think through its pricing approach when it launches the new E this year, hopefully with a suitable 300 engine spec for its petrol instead of that underwhelming 200 spec.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th July 2024 at 05:49.
Axe77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 08:31   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Adaptive dampers, and electric anti roll bars are optional extras. There's nothing active about them.
…..just saw the Autocar review. They call out exactly what I feared - It feels soft, as their focus was to make the comfiest 5 series possible, not the sportiest. Not multifaceted like the G30 due to the missing adaptive dampers.
Quote:
BMW India has messed up the specifications PDF.

Hope they fix it before someone sues them as comfort seats are a pretty useful & valuable option (~3L optional extra in the last gen in outside markets in conjunction with Nappa leather).
Agree, an adaptive suspension and a no-cost option of 19” fatter tyres would have really helped in the handling and looks department. It’s a $3K option in the US as far as I can see.

Pretty sure MB is going to figure out how to exploit this passive suspension gap with the new E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Today, if I want a balance between driving pleasure and rear seat comfort, my sense is I’d still either gravitate to a LWB 3 series (just the right size, comparable power and perhaps better driving experience - looks better too), or consider completely off center alternatives like the extremely handsome A6 or the Lexus for a totally different direction.
Have never driven the A6 but by all accounts, the India FWD spec is superlative on straight roads but dull on the twisties with significant torque steer.

By the way, think of a 30-50 buyer with a small family wanting a BMW. Walks into a showroom to see a M340i and the new 530. What would he do?

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th July 2024 at 08:34.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 08:45   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Have never driven the A6 …
Haha - btw, neither have I.

Quote:
…but by all accounts, the India FWD spec is superlative on straight roads but dull on the twisties with significant torque steer.
Oh yes, and that’s where I was coming from. I take it that a stretched 5 series is fundamentally compromised on the “pure driving pleasure” anyway, which is why I meant to underpin that I’d even consider an FWD A6 or a relatively ‘not in the same league performance’ strong hybrid as options while considering this stretched 5.

Quote:
By the way, think of a 30-50 buyer with a small family wanting a BMW. Walks into a showroom to see a M340i and the new 530. What would he do?
The key is who’s driving and how much is that important - is this family self driven or is the owner mostly chauffeur driven. If I were choosing between these two, my sense is I’d likely go for the 340i if I was going for performance (provided I had a second more comfortable car to be driven in). If I was going for something more ‘all round’. I’d alternately ditch both, save some money and buy the 330 Li instead or plonk more money and buy an X5 40i xline instead. But I’m struggling to find a world where this 5 makes it as the choice I’d end up with, whichever way I slice and dice it.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 10:16   #82
BHPian

This entire LWB trend started with Mercedes pulling in E Class long wheel base which single handedly killed the regular wheel base 3 and 5 series. 3GT was already axed internationally, but extending the 5 series wheel base was solely to fight the E class.
Fortunately M340i is still in sensible price point. Mercedes is going to have a tough time, C class nor GLC facelift didn't take off like their previous gen. New E Class's success primarily depends on pricing.
Straight6_N54 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 21:47   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Today, if I want a balance between driving pleasure and rear seat comfort, my sense is I’d still either gravitate to a LWB 3 series (just the right size, comparable power and perhaps better driving experience - looks better too), or consider completely off center alternatives like the extremely handsome A6 or the Lexus for a totally different direction. These are 3 cars I’d consider very closely before plonking money on this generation of the 5 series.
Quote:
Have never driven the A6 but by all accounts, the India FWD spec is superlative on straight roads but dull on the twisties with significant torque steer.

In my opinion the M340i and new 5 series are completely different products. The new 5 series is a step above from the old G30 and even the old one was one step above from the current 3 series which was introduced 6+ years ago.
There is a huge difference in interior space.

I test drove the Quattro version of the A6 for a few days before purchasing the standard wheelbase G60 a few months ago. The A6 has better ride quality but its a boat around the corners. Also the current A6 has been around quite a long time and if you are buying a new car I think most people prefer to get a recently launched model. BMW in the US gives 3 years free service which Audi does not.
Foxbat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 22:54   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Excellent spec and pricing.

However they've missed out on providing adaptive dampers, which was standard on the G30 in all trim levels.
I believe only the M Sport trim got the adaptive dampers. Sportline and Luxury Line did not?
Old 26th July 2024, 23:44   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I believe only the M Sport trim got the adaptive dampers. Sportline and Luxury Line did not?
No, all trims got it, across all engines.

Last edited by d3mon : 26th July 2024 at 23:45.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2024, 06:53   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, all trims got it, across all engines.
Okay, maybe only in India? Atleast globally, this was not the case. And the S223 was an expensive optional extra.
Old 27th July 2024, 10:00   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Okay, maybe only in India? Atleast globally, this was not the case. And the S223 was an expensive optional extra.
Yes, I'm talking about India only. And even globally it's a cheap option, of the order of $1000. Why they decided to skimp it in this generation is anybody's guess. Most likely it's because it's not something blingy like that light up grill or the crystal gear elements, which sells more than better driving dynamics.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2024, 11:42   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I'm talking about India only. And even globally it's a cheap option, of the order of $1000.
$3K now I believe! Would be interesting to configure the India-bound cars with say an UK BMW configurator to see the £ value.

Dont know about other brands but BMW & VAG give us a curious mix or selections and deletions.
Old 27th July 2024, 12:33   #89
BHPian

Quote:
$3K now I believe! Would be interesting to configure the India-bound cars with say an UK BMW configurator to see the £ value.

Dont know about other brands but BMW & VAG give us a curious mix or selections and deletions.
Did not find this option on the UK website.
However the german website offers dynamic dampers AND rear axle steering for 2.2L on the G60. So dynamic dampers are not expensive at all!

2024 BMW 5 Series LWB (G68) | A Close Look & Preview-adaptive.jpg
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2024, 19:59   #90
BHPian

I have to say I'm flabbergasted with the direction BMW design has taken.
BMW cars used to be so beautiful - poetry in motion is how I'd describe it. The previous generation 5 series has such an amazing design.
Compared to that, the new version is just plain ugly.

And it's not just this one - every new launch from BMW has been super ugly. The X1, the new M2, X3, X5, X7, 4 series, M3, 7 series - everything!

I am relieved to have gotten one of the last good looking cars from them - the M340i LCI, which in my opinion was the ONLY recent improvement in looks over its predecessor.

If I were in the market for a car today, I wouldn't be picking any from the BMW stable other than the 3 series.

Last edited by krishnadevjs : 27th July 2024 at 20:02.
krishnadevjs is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks