Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2024, 23:07   #46
BHPian

Re: What is an SUV, really?

Very interesting post! Thank you for asking this question. It has also bothered me a lot!

I’ve owned a Thar, Pajero and now an Endeavour which I consider Offroad capable SUVs.

However, in most of my travels in the mountains, I’ve seen the humble Alto traverse the same landscapes that we think are only for off-roaders.

So to me the question is does a certain set of specifications qualify a vehicle to be called an SUV - like ground clearance, approach/ departure angles or 4x4? OR does capability determine its name? If an Alto can clamber over terrible dirt tracks just as my Endeavour, what’s the difference between the two?

Yes, there are specific use cases when we go off-roading / rock crawling etc where you need a 4x4, where Ground clearance and approach and departure angles matter like in the Rainforest Challenge or other 4x4 outings for the sake of sport and adventure. I believe this is where the terminology of Sports Utility Vehicle comes in, where the vehicle is utilized for sporting and utilitarian purposes (think Bolero Camper/ V Cross/ Hilux).

So for me an Alto is just as capable as my Endeavour on 99% of roads. When I go Offroad with the purpose of doing sporting activities to explore the boundaries of my vehicle and push it to the limit, that’s when I need an SUV that is purpose built for this.

The average SUV buyer will rarely do such activities, and their vehicles are relegated to the spot of most looking cool and might and not much else. I seem so many Thars decorated like Christmas trees with ceramic coating and will never see a dirt track or go through a pond and get stuck in slush and have to by winched out just for the fun (sport) of it!
shireeshjacobs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2024, 23:49   #47
BHPian

According to me the definition of SUV is :

S- Sarva
U- Upayogi
V- Vahan

In other words, if your needs are met with any type of vehicle, then it is SUV for you!
Old 17th June 2024, 02:53   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Body On frame + four wheel drive+ High ground clearance + good approach/ramp over/departure angles.
Old 17th June 2024, 09:58   #49
BHPian

I've lost words and time explaining SUV to other people.
Especially when they come to me with the below idea

What is an SUV, really?-93fb2c4e61a64be9f722f825246ade19.jpg
Old 17th June 2024, 11:19   #50
BHPian

I feel it should be as follows:
1. SUVs - all monocoque body, high GC two box cars which can be further segregated as A, B, C & D segment, starting from the Exter to the Xuv700.
2. BOF /Off roaders - all ladder frame high GC two box cars with RWD & 4WD from the Thar to the giant Endeavour.
So let the exter & punch guys have their cake (suv) and eat it too.

Last edited by rxpaul : 17th June 2024 at 11:21.
Old 17th June 2024, 11:35   #51
BHPian

I want to start with a basic Example from general construction work in India.

We generally see a Backhoe Loader Eg JCB 3DX doing small excavation stuff around. On the contrary, a 7 ton class Hydraulic (Crawler) Excavator is something equivalent to a Backhoe loader and more capable in terms of operation also the crawler excavator has capability to enter any kind of terrain. The Operational time is also less since Hydraulic Excavator can quickly position itself whereas Backhoe loader has to be stabilized first so that it may not topple on uneven terrain. Also upper structure of HE can rotate 360 degree therefore positioning a tipper is not a big thing where as BHL has limited swing.

Being working in this field I would always recommend a small 7 Ton HE over a Backhoe loader.

However, the Small contractors Eg working for BBMP etc prefer to use Backhoe Loader since initial investment is less, BHL does not require trailer to travel on road, Also has a loader bucket therefore does not require a separate Wheel Loader to dump the loose material into the Tipper Truck etc.

All these factors make Backhoe Loader preferrable in general construction class, however in specialized applications Backhoe loader is no where in picture and Hydraulic Excavotor has to be deployed.

Therefore, utility is the key in case of Backhoe loader and it just serves the purpose.

Now coming to definition of SUVs.

There is no legal definition of SUV. Example The CMVR defines the vehicle categories as per M, N etc. That means from Homologation point of view there is no official requirement for an SUV but from design point of view the Manufacturer has to consider certain aspects.

Since the definition of SUV is perceived on the basis of some characteristics, OEMs have utilized it to market their products by picking a few aspects like Higher Ground Clearance, Off-Course the Body shape etc which provides enough utility for 99% of the Indian customers.

I own a Nexon and call it as my little Truck which does the following duties perfectly:

1) Carrying slightly XL items. Recently I purchased a 26" cycle for me and carried it inside from cycle Store to my home.

2) Outshines on broken roads during my outstation trips from Bangalore.

3) Passes across all the floody roods in Bangalore rains.

4) Lastly easy to park anywhere as it is just a spacious hatchback.

Now, a Nexon outshines all my expectations. A company who is selling it may call it as a Crossover or Hatchback it really does not matter to me.

The cars like Creta, Harrier, Tiguan have taken a few characteristics of SUVs and being marketed like that. The idea is to make your life simpler.

Similar to my Example of Backhoe Loader vs Hydraulic Excavator, Most of the people know that they are not going to take their cars to muddy slushes or river wading therefore buying a car which serves more than the purpose.
Old 17th June 2024, 12:00   #52
BHPian

This whole argument to me is a first world conundrum carefully created & marketed for maximum product differentiation & business generation where an household would have multiple vehicles with apparently different (and exclusive,mind you) use cases & defining features; finances not being a limitation-

1. One car for going fast alone: small two door "sports car"
2. Another car for going off road only : 4×4 short wheel base " SUV"
3. Another vehicle for lugging stuff : "pickup truck"
4. Another vehicle for going fast with family: large "family sports sedan"

And further curated admixtures of these for even more options & "business penetration".

For the majority of us who use the same vehicle for all these activities and more maybe, this is taken for just the business strategy that it is and nothing more.
Old 17th June 2024, 12:12   #53
BANNED

for me:

SUV = Rear wheel driven vehicle with 4X4 at Driver's disposal. Lower and Higher gears are a must to have.

And I won't consider even an AWD as an SUV.

Hence my next buy is going to be a proper SUV and nothing less.
Old 17th June 2024, 12:21   #54
BHPian

Reasonably fast accelerating vehicle with 4 wheel drive, locking differential, wheel articulation and loads of space inside to carry things and people. Not all cars offer everything in one package, so in reality there are varied compromises suitable to your purpose, budget and needs. As for me the, U in the SUV is tremendously important while the S is not so much. So I got a hyundai tucson which has folding seats at the rear and front(passenger) with 4wd, TCS, ABS and many other letters of the alphabet.Here's a picture of it gobbling up my mountain bike in full.

What is an SUV, really?-img_2310.jpeg

My BMW X3 on the other hand does not do this because of teh electronic front seat, but it is plenty fast being a 30D engine with more than twice the power of my tucson. It's rightly tagged by BMW as the SAV.
Old 17th June 2024, 19:57   #55
BHPian

By theory SUV should be a body on frame, at least RWD and a good ground clearance. But practically any car with good ground clearance, commanding view and capable suspension with a SUV-ish look can be called as SUV.

This will offend 2 types of people 1. People who do not own pseudo SUVs but owning either hatchback or sedan 2. People who own proper SUVs

But it is all about people's preference and need, one who bought Ignis/Exter/Punch/Venue/Creta need not feel inferior to Thars and Fortuners.
Old 17th June 2024, 20:48   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
According to me the definition of SUV is :

S- Sarva
U- Upayogi
V- Vahan

In other words, if your needs are met with any type of vehicle, then it is SUV for you!
That translates to Multi Purpose Vehicle (MUV)
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 21:50   #57

Now a days the definition of SUV has been changed anything with the more ground clearance is termed as SUV.

My definition of SUV is like, must have 4X4 with differential lock and 4H and 4L. And that commanding position with those grab handles while climbing, and that can go anywhere attitude.

A SUV without 4X4 capabilities is a “toothless tiger”.

Fortuner/Endeavour/Isuzu/Thar/Scorpio/Wrangler/Defender/Land Cruiser, G-Wagon are SUVs with good 4X4 capabilities.
Old 17th June 2024, 22:20   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
That translates to Multi Purpose Vehicle (MUV)
That's an XUV actually X= Sarva
Old 18th June 2024, 22:56   #59
BHPian

When I think of an SUV, this is the first thing that comes to my mind. What is an SUV, really?-toyotaland_cruiser2008102401.jpg
Old 18th June 2024, 23:00   #60
BHPian

Who on earth thought of calling this an SUV????What is an SUV, really?-maxresdefault.jpg
V0rtex is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks