Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2024, 08:59   #61
BHPian

Re: May 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Great to see both the Indian players are showing healthy competition
Now M&M overtakes Tata motors to become 2nd most valuable auto company in India. Both of them have world class products which can compete with any global brands.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...2.cms?from=mdr

peace..
sulliavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 12:01   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerthanMaps View Post
Its so interesting to see the sales numbers Mahindra is able to get for its Scorpio, XUV700 and Thar. While their domestic rival Tata isn't even able to get the total sales from Safari/Harrier twins that the XUV alone is making. Really impressive Mahindra!
The reason for that can be the lack of a Petrol Engine option. It will be interesting to compare XUV700 diesel sales with Safari/Harrier twins.
Old 18th June 2024, 12:56   #63
BHPian

Came across the below article on Autocar India:

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...is-june-431927

Seems like Tata was too ambitious with the pricing of the new Nexon and the impact can be seen on the sales & now they are having to offer hefty discounts on the higher variants.
Old 20th June 2024, 19:42   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post

4. Hyundai, TATA, and Mahindra in terms of market share are just 1% apart from each other now. This amounts to roughly 3-3.5k units. The coming months will be fascinating with Mahindra and Tata coming out with several EVs and new models. Something that we DON'T hear too much from Hyundai. The second rank in the Indian car market is open for grabs now. Neither Hyundai nor Tata have a presence in the much vaulted mid-sized SUV segment where the Hyundai Creta is a leader. If they can crack this, they have raced ahead of Hyundai. PERIOD.
I have a different perspective to this. Tata's sales numbers here includes Punch and Nexon EV's. And M&M's XUV400 (even it sells in triple digits only). Hyundai doesn't have an EV <20L. If and once Hyundai & Kia comes out with EV options in this space, the difference in numbers will be even more with Hyundai leading. Also to note is that as of today, one of the best EV's globally is the Ioniq 5 from Hyundai. And Hyundai is more experienced and have better products in the EV space than Tata or M&M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Just a thought - considering that Kia Seltos is doing half the numbers than Creta; I wonder how Kia can increase its share. Its variants were already feature rich when launched. That strategy worked well I suppose to capture the market share in early days.

Now management must be wondering if giving too many features early on was not a good idea. It leaves less room for facelifts or adding new features later.

"Feature fatigue" would be a new term coming up I feel. Are all features really used is something that many would be pondering on and maybe rationalize them over facelifts going ahead.
Though not commenting about Seltos exclusively, Kia has only 3 mass market models (7L-30L bracket) - Sonet, Carens and Seltos, where as Hyundai/Tata/M&M has a lot more. For anyone who wants to upgrade from a Seltos/Carens, there is nothing from Kia stable. Since Tucson is sold as a CKD, even Kia should have given the Sportage. Carnival facelift is also long due. Even Toyota has more models to sell, especially after the Maruti partnership. So just by adding 1-2 more models will itself increase total sales numbers.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 06:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Yes, Hyundai has more dealerships, which is just one of the factors, but to say it’s the only reason is not quite true! Kia has sold the facelifted Seltos in far greater numbers than what it's doing currently. Only it is not able to do it anymore. We all know why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Just a thought - considering that Kia Seltos is doing half the numbers than Creta; I wonder how Kia can increase its share. Its variants were already feature rich when launched. That strategy worked well I suppose to capture the market share in early days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post

Seltos has always been trailing the Creta even before the FL launch. Seltos will always stagnate between 6-7k sales at best. Same goes for the Sonet & Venue. Wait till Hyundai launches the 2025 Venue and we might see the sales flying through the roof.
Considering the monthly capacity (including exports) of Kia plant is 29 K, I guess they are doing fine. 6K of Seltos, 6K of Carens, 8K~ Sonet. I am sure some capacity is being alloted to upcoming clavis. I am not sure how much the exports constitute. Considering all this Kia is still doing a spectacular job with respect to sales. Kia plant capacity
Old 24th June 2024, 07:57   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
One must appreciate how the Maruti Ciaz is constantly selling above 500 units despite being so old in a segment that is almost dead. Now it could do wonders if Maruti gives it a nice update. I don't understand why Maruti is not interested in doing so. Not that the Ciaz is VFM or something, one can get a similarly equipped base Honda City at a not so substantial price increment (please correct me if I am wrong)
C2 Sedan segment is slowly dying,not just in India but all over the world. No wonder Ford ditched the Sedan Segment altogether. Skoda/VW tried to revive this segment with Slavia/Virtus but they are not getting there with less than 1500 sales figures per month. Once the market leader Verna is still struggling to go past 1500.

People everywhere around the world are shifting towards Crossovers,SUV's and everybody's jumping the gun even the stubborn Maranello Stag who once hated SUV's.

Most people in the market looking for a car within 20-25 Lakh budget will have Crossover as default choice at first. They are just more versatile and bad roads along speed breakers aren't helping the case for Sedans too.

Launching a new vehicle or even a facelift involves significant investment and judging by the sales numbers,Market conditions,Future prospect and relatively thin profit margins,it's just not feasible. And Japs are very strict (Profit feasibility)about that unlike Europeans.
Old 30th June 2024, 18:57   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post
Compared to Tata Punch, Hyundai Exter is doing half the numbers. So is it a hit or a flop?
One reason why I think Punch is still ruling over Exter is the looks. Punch managed to get look more sturdy & sporty in comparison to Exter which looks more boxy & confused, IMO. Although, I wonder why Exter's numbers aren't breaking beyond 8K, Is the constraint demand side or supply side?

Also, Punch boasts of 5 star NCAP while Exter still doesn't have a crash test rating. Given that crash test ratings are now a part of the buyers' consideration, not having crash test ratings definitely hurts the car. Looking at Hyundai's delay in getting the ratings, I am starting to suspect that the ratings aren't so great.

On another note, I am surprised to see Fronx do so well. Looking at it's pricing, it's competition and the cramped rear, I thought it will be decimated in sales.
sreeram625 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks