Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2024, 19:52   #46
BHPian

Re: May 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post
Compared to Tata Punch, Hyundai Exter is doing half the numbers. So is it a hit or a flop?
Exter has been a mixed success for Hyundai I believe. Within Hyundai, it faces some competition from the Venue (similar to Punch vs Nexon).

Punch numbers include their EVs and CNG models too.

Exter is definitely not a flop, but not a big success either. Hyundai has not been able to launch a runaway success car like Creta. Venue was successful at launch, but faces stiff competition now. The lucky thing for them is their runaway success car is their premium one!
karthis91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 21:03   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

See the mind-boggling numbers when the same platform is used and reaps success in badge-engineering to some extent!

Maruti Baleno+ Toyota Glanza = 12,842+ 4517 = 17,359
Ertiga+XL6+Rumion = 13893+3241+ 1919 = 19,053
Fronx+ Taisor = 12,681+ 2180 = 14,861
Grand Vitara+ HYryder = 9736 +3906 = 13,642
Toyota Hycross+ Invicto = 8548+193 = 8741
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 21:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
I cannot quiet believe the fall in numbers of Nexon.
Even I was curious to know why, but I have yet to find an answer.

1. Is the Brezza CNG version impacting Nexon sales?
Sales might pick up once the Turbo CNG is launched.

2. Are Tata Punch EV sales eating into Nexon sales?
The rise of the Punch does seem to coincide with the fall of the Nexon.
We might gain some insight if we had a sales breakdown of ICE vs. EV for
the Punch and Nexon.

3. People generally feel that the Nexon lost its macho looks due to the facelift?
So, how did the post-facelift model manage to achieve good sales numbers
at the onset of the year since facelift was launched
Attached Thumbnails
May 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-np-sales.png  

May 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-macho.png  

Last edited by BSASLR : 13th June 2024 at 21:51.
BSASLR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 22:22   #49
BHPian

Its so interesting to see the sales numbers Mahindra is able to get for its Scorpio, XUV700 and Thar. While their domestic rival Tata isn't even able to get the total sales from Safari/Harrier twins that the XUV alone is making. Really impressive Mahindra!
SlowerthanMaps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 22:30   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I hear Maruti is trying to canvas people going to service their cars, offering them unsolicited exchange value of their existing cars along with more then 1L worth of freebies and exchange bonus etc for - Invicto, unbeatable indeed.

I think what people were expecting from Maruti was a Toyota at Maruti price, 31L for the base model is not exactly Maruti price, eventually they will get there but not now.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 22:54   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Punch's 1.2L makes ~86BHP while Nexon's turbo petrol 1.2L makes 113BHP. Moreover Punch has AMT while Nexon additionally gets the DCT(a.k.a DCA) as well in higher trims. How exactly are they same car in petrol version?
Well regarding power they are certainly different. What I was referring was according to "lay man's perspective", which many of car buyers are. Almost same looks, almost same stance, almost same space inside, almost same milage to name a few. Moreover power doesn't matter that much specially in city conditions. AMT is available in both in petrol too. Both available in EV and CNG(soon).
DrOrtho83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 04:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
One must also consider the sales sold per dealership network. Even in a city like Pune you have just 3-4 Kia dealerships, while Hyundai has about 10-11 !

A relative of mine who stays in in hinterland of India recently bought new creta. He didn't even know of a car called Seltos existed because there's simply no Kia dealership in about 300 kms of his city! IMO the difference in creta and seltos sales is purely down to number of dealerships the Hyundai has and the brand that Creta has become over the years. With massive improvement in ride quality of Seltos facelift I don't think Creta's marginally softer ride is the difference factor.
Yes, Hyundai has more dealerships, which is just one of the factors, but to say it’s the only reason is not quite true! Kia has sold the facelifted Seltos in far greater numbers than what it's doing currently. Only it is not able to do it anymore. We all know why.

Let's accept it - the Creta dominates the C2 SUV segment. In fact the facelift has nearly decimated the competition, which isn't a surprise really. Not accepting this doesn't change the fact that the facelifted Creta is a massive and an unprecedented success for valid reasons. Of course, it has shortcomings like any other car (and the Seltos does too). And before someone labels me biased, we are in the process of finalizing the Seltos, most likely the Xline, despite its limitations (the purchase has been deferred due to unforeseen circumstances though).

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th June 2024 at 09:18. Reason: Toned down; interpretation of the analysis (quoted post) is way off. Thank you! [+one minor typo edited]
Col Mehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 07:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to get a pie chart with sales revenue as metric ? Would like to see if Maruti would still remain No 1. My guess is Hyundai will be No 1.
Old 14th June 2024, 13:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
One must also consider the sales sold per dealership network. Even in a city like Pune you have just 3-4 Kia dealerships, while Hyundai has about 10-11 !

A relative of mine who stays in in hinterland of India recently bought new creta. He didn't even know of a car called Seltos existed because there's simply no Kia dealership in about 300 kms of his city!
Indeed! As Thomas Harris made his sinister creation Hannibal Lector say - 'we begin by coveting what we see every day!' This is why there is a premium in shops and malls for high visibility placements of prducts. It took a long time for Hyundai to get there. Maybe Kia will too. There are plenty of case studies on how Kia benefitted from Hyundai's knowledge of Indian auto market.
Old 14th June 2024, 14:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
A
That's an interesting take. Any specific variant that you have in mind which you feel is overpriced? I feel the top ends (GTX plus and X line) are well priced with lots of usable features, not sure about the mid variants though. But would love to hear more from you.
Since you said you have already finalized, i should not play spoilsport. I think all cars' top one two variants are overpriced (exception - XUV3xO which has killer pricing). Generally, the best value is always to be found in the mid variants. Best sellers often are from these variants. The coversion funnel for marketing is to attract customers by advertising the lowest price of the lowest variant (all those ads saying 'starts from....', even for luxury brands), then upselling them a higher model, or at least a higher variant. The feature combo is carefully tailored to meet specific target personas, leaving out a desirable few features for the next variant. This is typical bundling - you will be forced to pay for the chrome and bling you didn't want to get the safety features you need. You will be forced to pay for the Bose sound system if you need the ADAS. Bundling always is to the benefit of the seller, and they can charge a premium over and above the singular feature value. The sum becomes costlier than the parts. A car thart starts from 10L goes all the way to 20L. Specifically for the Seltos, I think Kia is charging a premium of about 2.5L for the GTX+ at 20L, whereas the Creta SX tech comes for 17.5 L. That's 2.5L for a more powerful engine (with commensurately lower FE), and some additional features. If you desire these enough to justify the premium, certainly go for it. IMO, the Seltos top variants should have been also offered on the lower specced engine, and they would have got more sales. There could also be other reasons why you prefer one over the other. Since this is the car sales thread, specific car related feature discussion may be off topic, but since the above impact sales in general, thought it worth talking about. This would become visible if we could see sales numbers by the variant, but for sure, the Fronx sells the most in the Delta+ varaints than the Zeta or Alpha, same for the i10 sportz, Swift / Dzire VX, and so on. There are some youtubers giving variant wise price justification and explanations, so you can refer those too by searching 'car variants explained'. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Delta Wing : 14th June 2024 at 14:20.
Old 14th June 2024, 14:27   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSASLR View Post
Even I was curious to know why, but I have yet to find an answer.
I think it's the 3XO eating up the sub-4m CUV sales numbers.
Old 14th June 2024, 14:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post

I think all cars' top one two variants are overpriced (exception - XUV3xO which has killer pricing). Generally, the best value is always to be found in the mid variants. Best sellers often are from these variants.

There are some Youtubers giving variant wise price justification and explanations, so you can refer those too by searching 'car variants explained'. Hope this helps.
Helpful, thank you.

I too genuinely wish the mid variants were better equipped or offered with the best engine transmission combo.
Old 14th June 2024, 21:04   #58
BHPian

Pasting the article here for your reading convenience
Top Highlights for May 2024 car sales in India!

1. Tallest May ever. The march goes on unabated. Overall growth over last May of 2023 is just 4.4% but look at the breakup by body type.
A. -11.7% for hatches
B. +5.6% for MUVs
C. -0.9% for sedans
D. +15.0% for SUVs

Breakup by form factors which includes the body types as well as size and class. Since there are many of them I will focus on the top winners and losers

Top Winners
A. SUV Mini that comprises the likes of the Punch and the Exter + 83%
B. SUV Utility comprising the likes of the Bolero and the Scorpio-N + 46%
c. Mid-sized MUVs comprising the likes of the XL6 and the Ertiga + 19%

Top Losers
A. Mid Sized Sedans comprising the likes of Honda City, Hyundai Verna VW Virtus and the Skoda Slavia - Down 34%
B. 4-meter hatches (Baleno, i20, etc.) - Down 22%
C. Surprisingly Large SUVs comprising the likes of the XUV700 and the Safari/Harrier - Down 19%

2. At the model level, 16 of them in the above 10% over last May with the XUV300 in its new 3XO avatar topping with 95%, the Punch with 70%, and the Astor with 67% (though these are on very small volumes)

3. The new Maruti Swift has shipped a massive 19,393 units because of which Maruti is back on the top-rated car dispatch list this month. The Punch had beaten it to the title for the last 2 months.

4. Hyundai, TATA, and Mahindra in terms of market share are just 1% apart from each other now. This amounts to roughly 3-3.5k units. The coming months will be fascinating with Mahindra and Tata coming out with several EVs and new models. Something that we DON'T hear too much from Hyundai. The second rank in the Indian car market is open for grabs now. Neither Hyundai nor Tata have a presence in the much vaulted mid-sized SUV segment where the Hyundai Creta is a leader. If they can crack this, they have raced ahead of Hyundai. PERIOD.

May 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-f3c3cf35a5624f0ab1f08bd89166e214.jpeg

5. Honda is on very thin ice now with their Elevate down to 1553 dispatch numbers. They were hovering around the 5k mark for the first few months. The lack of dare has brought ruin upon them in my honest opinion. Though probably the best in quality and long-term reliability other than Toyota in the Indian markets, they have failed to read the desires of the Indian consumer which was not too difficult given the stupendous success of their Korean rivals. We can only hope and pray that they don't wind up leaving thousands of their employees jobless. Every great OEM floundering does not bode well for India as a whole. For an industry that makes up half of India's manufacturing GDP (including commercial vehicles and two-wheelers), its success is very much needed to produce much-needed skilled jobs.
niranjanprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 08:35   #59
BHPian

Just a thought - considering that Kia Seltos is doing half the numbers than Creta; I wonder how Kia can increase its share. Its variants were already feature rich when launched. That strategy worked well I suppose to capture the market share in early days.

Now management must be wondering if giving too many features early on was not a good idea. It leaves less room for facelifts or adding new features later.

"Feature fatigue" would be a new term coming up I feel. Are all features really used is something that many would be pondering on and maybe rationalize them over facelifts going ahead.

Deleting feature leaves a bad taste though.
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 15:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Just a thought - considering that Kia Seltos is doing half the numbers than Creta; I wonder how Kia can increase its share. Its variants were already feature rich when launched. That strategy worked well I suppose to capture the market share in early days.

Now management must be wondering if giving too many features early on was not a good idea. It leaves less room for facelifts or adding new features later.
It’s not really the features per se, but the way Seltos has been designed from the interiors & even to some extent the exteriors. No matter what the dimensions say on paper, the Seltos just doesn’t feel as airy and welcoming as the Creta. The Creta ‘feels’ bigger than the Seltos in every way. Even the exteriors, Creta feels slightly heighted than the Seltos.

Moreover, Creta has become a ‘brand’ in itself. Not to forget, majority of the sales might be coming from the low / mid variants which are than spiced up as “base to top” stuff !

Seltos has always been trailing the Creta even before the FL launch. Seltos will always stagnate between 6-7k sales at best. Same goes for the Sonet & Venue. Wait till Hyundai launches the 2025 Venue and we might see the sales flying through the roof.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks