Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2024, 11:43   #31
BHPian

Re: May 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Sad to see Elevate, Kushaq, Taigun sales, but I think they are just good cars in a segment where the competition is simply brilliant.

It will be interesting to see how the dealerships of these brands will sustain since the growth of dealership network has not been in-line with sales growth.
CafeRacer16 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 12:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post

Such an interesting scenario - The Seltos, while has more features than the Creta, is not even doing 50% of what Creta is doing. And not that Kia cant do better numbers, it was selling way more than 6-7k before the FL Creta. A clear sign that variables such as better overall comfort, road presence, brand value and service network are more important than a few more features (the Seltos offers some great usable features though like better UV cut glasses, 5th passenger headrest, all illuminated buttons etc that the Creta sorely misses), but it's just so fascinating to see what Creta does ever so consistently despite short on a few features.
All true, and additionally, i find the Seltos is overpriced compared to the Creta. Have been doing some research for a possible car purchase and Seltos priced itself out. Also, the aspirational family car buyer might prefer the light interiors of the Creta over the dark tones in the Seltos, since purchase decision may be heavily influenced by non-driving family members. Lighter tones add to a sense of space and comfort. Add Hyundai's superior service, and Creta emerges the winner. For the no-fuss, enthusiasm-neutral buyer moving from 7-12 L car to the second buy for 15-20L, which car other than Creta might offer a better value overall? Hence not really surprised at the numbers.
Delta Wing is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 12:31   #33
BHPian

I am not sure if there is some correlation to the export numbers. Let us take for example Jimny has almost 4 K exports and Scorpio has less than 100. What does this indicate from manufacturer and consumer point of views on the numbers. My assumption is that Jimny is rejected by Indians and accepted abroad. Scorpio is accepted by Indians and rejected abroad.

https://www.rushlane.com/top-10-car-...-12497060.html https://www.rushlane.com/amp/top-10-...-12497060.html
Attached Thumbnails
May 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-img_2416.jpeg  

Last edited by Mystic : 13th June 2024 at 12:33.
Mystic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 12:57   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinmra View Post
Interesting to see the Comet EV sell at 1000+ each month. Many folds more than Jimny, if you think of them as niche category vehicles. One thing common between these niche, low volume cars is that their buyers swear by them!
I see more and more Comets growing each day in Lucknow.
I was even surprised to see them in small towns let alone cities.
Safe to say people prefer small compact size and cheap running costs.
blueather is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 12:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
The facelift seems to have worked for XUV 300. There is a significant increase in number of cars sold. The car sorely needed an interior and a feature set update. That seems to have worked.

I still feel they could have worked on the boot space a bit but apart from that XUV 3xo seems to be a great package now.
Just curious. Does anyone know if the XUV300 and XUV3xO are being sold parallelly? I saw someone highlighting that according to M&M (through an Instagram post), both are different cars. Even their website at present shows that both cars are available to book. Not sure if it is only till the XUV300 stocks are sold. Also, any idea if the number 10000 for 3XO is only for 3XO or if it includes both 300 and 3XO for the month of May?

May 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-screenshot-20240613-124641.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
I cannot quiet believe the fall in numbers of Nexon. One month I could understand but this is the third month running of fall in numbers. Is the Punch and Nexon made on the same line? Only then can I understand the fall in numbers. There is absolutely no reason for sales of Nexon to fall and for the Punch volumes to rise.
I think consistently selling that many numbers will be difficult. At some point there will be a saturation, and there will be reduction in sales. Also, like some others mentioned, Punch may be eating some Nexons.
Old 13th June 2024, 13:17   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
I think consistently selling that many numbers will be difficult. At some point there will be a saturation, and there will be reduction in sales. Also, like some others mentioned, Punch may be eating some Nexons.
The Nexon has tripped on its own success. When it ruled the roost it was the affordable alternative to a full size SUV. But Punch has now become the affordable alternative to the Nexon. It sits in the same C1 segment as the Nexon, has inherited the safety, size and feature list of the Nexon and looks tougher than the pretend-to-be-SUV Exter. On the other hand, the Nexon has to continue to fight the facelifted Brezza which seems to have made a comeback of sorts after a lacklustre launch and also keep the Korean twins Sonet and Venue at bay. That’s a tough ask.
navinmra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 13:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueather View Post
I see more and more Comets growing each day in Lucknow.
I was even surprised to see them in small towns let alone cities.
Safe to say people prefer small compact size and cheap running costs.
I see them in places like Manipal too. As a second or 3rd car it is unbeatable. Also the upgraded 7.7 kw A/c charging has definitely filled the void of not having DC fast charging. For the Comet’s puny battery pack this has drastically reduced charging times at home and in malls where 7.7kw chargers seem to be showing up more and more and may have further contributed to its appeal.

I was at TASS the other day for my Nexon EV Max service and the SA said, majority of Tata Tigor and Tiago EV sales are fleet sales. That explains why the Comet has carved out a niche for itself as a personal mobility 2nd or 3rd car.
navinmra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 13:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulliavi View Post
I guess these difference in sales numbers are more to do with the number of showrooms/service centers in small towns which Hyundai has managed to open in all these years. On the contrary, KIA is mostly restricted to Tier 1,2 and 3 cities.

peace..

Agreed, but that's just only one of the factors. Don't forget Kia was consistently selling Seltos in a far greater numbers before the FL Creta which means it has the means and capacity to do more. Really hope Kia widens it's network and do some magic to counter the sheer domination of the Creta. And not just Kia, but other manufacturers also. Will be good for the consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
All true, and additionally, i find the Seltos is overpriced compared to the Creta. Have been doing some research for a possible car purchase and Seltos priced itself out.
That's an interesting take. Any specific variant that you have in mind which you feel is overpriced? I feel the top ends (GTX plus and X line) are well priced with lots of usable features, not sure about the mid variants though. But would love to hear more from you.

Quote:

Also, the aspirational family car buyer might prefer the light interiors of the Creta over the dark tones in the Seltos, since purchase decision may be heavily influenced by non-driving family members. Lighter tones add to a sense of space and comfort. Add Hyundai's superior service, and Creta emerges the winner. For the no-fuss, enthusiasm-neutral buyer moving from 7-12 L car to the second buy for 15-20L, which car other than Creta might offer a better value overall? Hence not really surprised at the numbers.
Agreed with your observation on the Creta, its an aspirational value for many and the lighter interior theme definitely offers a sense of space which families usually prefer over all black interiors. Plus an overall better package in terms of comfort, ride quality and brand value. Kia should seriously consider offering lighter interiors on it's GT line (along with the current all black theme) and a few metallic colors on the X line.
Col Mehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 14:47   #39
BHPian

Need to take Swift & 3x0 numbers with a pinch of salt, both being recently launched vehicles, a good share of these numbers can be attributed to display/test-drive cars and the bookings accumulated over the last couple of months.

The picture will become clearer in the coming months, do not believe either of these products will be able to hold that kind of volume
GS2323 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 15:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
I cannot quite believe the fall in numbers of Nexon. One month I could understand but this is the third month running of fall in numbers. Is the Punch and Nexon made on the same line? Only then can I understand the fall in numbers. There is absolutely no reason for sales of Nexon to fall and for the Punch volumes to rise.
One possible reason is that FADA reports dealer dispatch numbers of the EV and ICE versions combined. The Punch.ev was launched more recently and is often considered an alternative to the lower variants of the Nexon.ev as I believe a lot of people who wanted an EV for the city used to skip the Tigor because it felt much more budget than the Nexon. That is not the case with the Punch.ev which is only smaller but has similar interiors, features, performance etc to the Nexon.

Otherwise I agree there is no reason for the Nexon numbers to drop, especially since they started producing the EV at the new Sanand plant as well, last month if my memory serves me right.
Old 13th June 2024, 16:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
For the no-fuss, enthusiasm-neutral buyer moving from 7-12 L car to the second buy for 15-20L, which car other than Creta might offer a better value overall? Hence not really surprised at the numbers.
Couldn't agree more on this. Creta had been and still is an aspirational car for many people who are having a car in that 7-12 L range even before Seltos entered the market. Same was with me. I had a swift which I used for 10 years. But as soon as the thought of upgrading to a new car started in my mind, Creta was the only choice in my mind. The second gen Creta made me wait till long as I did not like its look. But the facelift came and it was quite beautiful to us than the previous gen. (Looks are subjective, others may have different opinions).

I had gone to a car accessories showroom to install dashcam and window films to my new Creta last Sunday. I was there for almost 4-5 hours as I wanted to observe all the installation. I met around 8-10 people there who have either about to get the delivery of new Creta in the same week or just couple of weeks.

Added to that is more comfortable ride, wide service network, lighter interior theme as compared to Seltos. No doubt it's selling like a hot cake.
satya_ip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 16:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone looking for a compact SUV in the C2 segment, this is perhaps the right time to bargain (except the mighty Creta). The VW/Skoda are struggling, so are Honda, MG et al. Only the Grand Vitara, Scorpio (which doesnt look/feel like from the C2 segment though) and the Seltos are doing decent numbers in that segment. Kia, VW/Skoda have already started offering good cash discounts.

Such an interesting scenario - The Seltos, while has more features than the Creta, is not even doing 50% of what Creta is doing. And not that Kia cant do better numbers, it was selling way more than 6-7k before the FL Creta. A clear sign that variables such as better overall comfort, road presence, brand value and service network are more important than a few more features (the Seltos offers some great usable features though like better UV cut glasses, 5th passenger headrest, all illuminated buttons etc that the Creta sorely misses), but it's just so fascinating to see what Creta does ever so consistently despite short on a few features.
One must also consider the sales sold per dealership network. Even in a city like Pune you have just 3-4 Kia dealerships, while Hyundai has about 10-11 !

A relative of mine who stays in in hinterland of India recently bought new creta. He didn't even know of a car called Seltos existed because there's simply no Kia dealership in about 300 kms of his city! IMO the difference in creta and seltos sales is purely down to number of dealerships the Hyundai has and the brand that Creta has become over the years. With massive improvement in ride quality of Seltos facelift I don't think Creta's marginally softer ride is the difference factor.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 17:33   #43
BHPian

While there is a lot to talk about the top 4 manufacturers, all doing great in various segments, I am seeing something interesting down below the table.

Magnite is able to hold ~2k numbers month on month. That too when that's just one car in Nissan's stable, so footfalls in showrooms will be limited. On the other hand, Kiger, the Magnite twin is only able to manage a higher 3 digit number, that too when it has 3 cars in the stable, including Kwid and Triber. There are hardly any exports either of Kiger.

Thats not a good thing for Renault at all. With Duster and Bigster in the pipeline hopefully, expect this to change.

Elevate is another example, what just hit Honda, it's down to just 1500. phew!

Skoda VW seem to be doing OK with there India 2.0 strategy and in Bangalore I see a lot of them plying around for sure. With the presence mostly in bigger cities/towns, the numbers are not that bad.

TaMo and M&M are going logger heads and if TaMo is not careful, they might get beaten by the SUV onslaught of the latter. Though I am sure May's number has a lot of 3X0 display vehicles, so lets see how it settles. It's an interesting year ahead for the Indian duo.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 17:48   #44

Noticed some interesting statistics for May 2024 Car sales in India: If we take number of car sales 5000 and up, per month, Maruti obviously leads the list, and has 10 models doing 5000 and up!. Next is Hyundai selling five models, and both Mahindra and Tata selling four models each, (though Altroz's 4983 I took as 5000!) Kia selling three models, and finally Toyota selling one model with sales of 5000 and up, (Innova/Hycross 8548, and Glanza at 4517).
CarCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 19:07   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Such an interesting scenario - The Seltos, while has more features than the Creta, is not even doing 50% of what Creta is doing.
The other day, a couple of friends who checked out the Seltos came away with an interesting observation. They felt that the Seltos didn't feel as roomy as the Creta. Intrigued, I decided to check it out. I felt the same way too. I think it can be attributed to the sportier roofline of the Seltos instead of the boxier Creta, as well as the lighter interior colors on the latter. It is not an earth-shattering difference, but it is there.
SithDefender is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks