Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2024, 13:43   #1
BHPian

The feature-deletion spree - What's going on?!

Car manufacturers deleting features from their cars isn't a new phenomenon. Unfortunately, no matter how pissed off we are by this trend, we aren't going to see an end to it anytime soon. Until 2020, the only excuse OEMs had was "increasing input material costs", but later on they got to play around with two more - Covid-19 and the semiconductor chip shortage. While I agree that the pandemic was a tough time for the manufacturers too and feature deletions at that time were pardonable (IIRC, Mahindra and Skoda deleted some features for a certain time period before adding them back), the truth is that this practice (or should I say malpractice) has been going on for a long time, well before the pandemic struck. Some OEMs strike off features from the brochure under the pretext of "global chip shortage" even today. The truth, as we all know, is that these are cost-cutting measures to increase margins or reduce losses (the former is more likely). Whatever the reasons are – whether valid or invalid – from the customer's standpoint, it is just wrong to remove features whenever they feel like because car prices aren't reducing by the day for the most part.

The feature-deletion spree - What's going on?!-2021mahindraxuv70003.jpg

From what I have understood, there are a couple of cases, so to speak, in a product's lifecycle when features are rejigged. The first and the rarest case is during generational updates and facelifts, wherein a car misses out on features that its previous generation / iteration had. This is not common practice and rightly so, because at a time when the car is in the spotlight, it can immediately make a bad impression. The only car I can remember off the top of my head which took this route was the Hyundai Elite i20, which missed out on a sunroof, LED DRLs, auto wipers, rear disc brakes, etc at launch. On a lighter note, Hyundai set such a high benchmark with the first gen i20 that they couldn't match themselves with the second gen! If you know of any other examples, please do mention them.

The feature-deletion spree - What's going on?!-hyundaielitei2034.jpg

Then there is the practice of rejigging variants; i.e, addition and deletion of features in the lower variants. The "deletion" part isn't exactly desirable, but I won't complain much only if the added features make up for the reduced value of the deleted ones. At the end of the day, OEMs have to stay relevant in this dynamic market.

But the actual reason I created this thread was to talk about a far more cruel practice - removing features from a car a few months after its launch. Just search for "features deleted" on Team-BHP and the sheer number of threads will blow your mind. Here are a few I found (these include variant rejigs, feature deletions & additions and cases of feature cuts due to chip shortage):

- Hyundai cuts features on Elite i20

- Scoop! Ford EcoSport gets Touchscreen Head-Unit, but loses other features

- Ford deletes features from the EcoSport Titanium+ variant

- Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?

- 2022 Skoda Kushaq & VW Taigun lose electric folding mirrors

- Mahindra XUV700: More features deleted due to chip shortage

- Mahindra XUV700 (Features rejigged)

- Mahindra Thar loses a few features; prices remain unchanged

- Rumour: Locking rear differential now optional on Mahindra Thar 4x4

- Mahindra Scorpio-N features deleted despite price hike

- Maruti on feature deletion spree, rear defogger removed from WagonR

Sadly, even luxury manufacturers don't make an exception:

- Volvo India: Removing safety features from its cars!

The feature-deletion spree - What's going on?!-tatahexa45.jpg

The car that got me thinking about this topic is the Mahindra XUV300. When the XUV3XO (XUV300 facelift) was launched recently, the industry went gaga over it for its extensive feature list, and I was left wondering, wasn't the XUV300 met with the same response back in 2019? It was laden with segment-first / impressive features like 17-inch alloys, all-wheel disc brakes, front parking sensors, heated ORVMs, dual-zone climate control, steering wheel modes, 7 airbags, three-point seatbelts, 3 adjustable rear headrests, and so on. This was an impressive car and I assumed that the Venue would be in serious trouble. However, Mahindra started deleting features just two years after its launch:

- Mahindra raises XUV300 prices and deletes features!

- Scoop: Mahindra silently removes driver knee airbag from XUV300 W8(O)

- Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review (rear fog lamps and door ajar lamps deleted)

- Front parking sensors, fancy key deleted

- XUV300 alloy wheels downsized

In the end, most of the defining features of the XUV300 disappeared. Because of these constant features cuts, people started looking down upon the little XUV, for it's biggest strength changed into its biggest weakness. All this while sales didn't see a major drop. It continued to sell an average of ~4000 units a month. Mahindra didn't lose anything in sales terms, but this meant that they could get the XUV3XO hyped better. And 'hype' it got - get this, the XUV3XO got 50,000 bookings in 60 minutes! Compare the 3XO to the outgoing 300, and then compare it to the first iteration of the 300. In which case does the 3XO seem like a better upgrade? See the difference in both cases?

The feature-deletion spree - What's going on?!-2019mahindraxuv30003.jpg

Come to think of it, this is straight up EVIL and simply not acceptable. These guys have a wicked strategy - when they introduce a new model / facelift, first they wow the audience with a cracking price. Once the dust settles and the spotlight moves away from them, they silently delete features, and that too on multiple occasions. Only to wow the audience again at the next update, where they've added all the deleted features again and then some more. Take a bow, OEMs. Now stay there, I want to beat you up with my elbow .

To car makers: If you delete features because of a genuine problem, then why stuff the car with all those fancy gizmos in the first place? Why do you bite off more than you can chew? Why use these features as a bait for potential buyers, only to remove them when these people actually turn up to buy the car? Give us meaningful features that you're sure to keep till the end of the car's life cycle, instead of plonking in every feature on the planet just to make an impression and we'll be a happy lot.

I am sorry for sounding a bit harsh in conveying my points, but it saddens me when brands betray us this way. I know that my thoughts may not align with everyone, but hey, ain't that the reason Team-BHP is a "discussion" forum

BHPians, what are your thoughts on this matter?

Last edited by CentreOfGravity : 5th June 2024 at 18:07.
CentreOfGravity is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 5th June 2024, 22:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: The feature-deletion spree - What's going on?!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 09:51   #3
BHPian

Am not surprised by this and this happens due to a couple of scenarios:

1 - Pressure to maintain profit margins amidst raising "cost" of the product. Can draw parallels to "shrinkflation" seen in FMCG goods. A packet of lays has been INR 10 for a very long time, but the weight hasn't remained the same

2 - For listed companies, there is even more pressure to not just maintain but keep increasing the profit margin. This becomes a challenge when there is no organic increase in top end. Now, they've no better way to achieve it than reducing the cost. Can draw parallels to FAANG like companies firing people irrespective of huge revenues
Sk8r is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 10:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

I guess there really is still some chip shortage. Case in point, the facelift KIA Seltos had one touch up and down for all windows for HTX and above variants until Jan 2024. Somewhere in Feb 2024, this feature was available only in the X Line variant and removed from others. Again in March they reintroduced it for a week or so and removed it again. Since April, this feature is now available with HTX and above variants again. Each time the feature was removed, a 2K price reduction was made.

I believe the Chip shortage could be the probable reason for this, as it makes no sense for removing the feature just for the sake of it, or saving 2K ! Again not saying, everyone is reeling from chip shortage, but it's possible for few manufacturers.
07CR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 10:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Automotive OEMs frequently conduct cost workshops to benchmark and remove features that are not present in their competitors. Changes that are not simple, would be earmarked for implementation during the next face-lift or new model change. This is just an exercise to keep the profit margin healthy.

When I worked for a car manufacturer, the car we made had lovely sounding dual horns, but during a benchmarking exercise, participants pointed out that its arch rivals had punk meek sounding single horns. That was noted as an idea to be implemented, and within 2 months, our car also lost one of the horns and joined the 'meek' gang

Another idea was that the AC compressor in our car was of much bigger volume than what its competitors had. That idea was also noted down, and that went as a feedback while developing the next-gen car!

Sadly, common shared parts and feature-elimination is how the Automotive industry is running these days
aravind.anand is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 11:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
When I worked for a car manufacturer, the car we made had lovely sounding dual horns, but during a benchmarking exercise, participants pointed out that its arch rivals had punk meek sounding single horns. That was noted as an idea to be implemented, and within 2 months, our car also lost one of the horns and joined the 'meek' gang
Thanks for the insight. Do you know how much money the company "saved" in this exercise? Since the competitors did not have it, it could have been a USP bullet point to sell.
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 11:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

In a crazy way, the saved amount is multiplied by the volume projection to glorify the cost savings by the team that has organized the cost workshop.

Cost of a horn is INR 80, volume for that model is 1,20,000 a year so cost savings projection becomes - INR 9.6 million !! INR 80 looks small, but INR 9.6 million looks huge - right?

Not kidding, removing one reverse bulb along with its wiring will save INR 20 at max, but just look at how many manufacturers have applied that logic and saved millions

Last edited by aravind.anand : 6th June 2024 at 11:54. Reason: removed the third smiley
aravind.anand is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 11:58   #8
BHPian

Some cars that I can recall from the top of my head are:

Skoda Octavia (2021): removed sunroof, auto parking that the previous generation got. The international variant retained these features.

MG Gloster: they removed the fancy headrests rear passengers get.

Ford endeavour:Ford removed some underbody support from the Indian car
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...l-version.html (Pics: Chassis of Indian Ford Endeavour has less support than the international version!)
chiekennugget is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 13:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreOfGravity View Post

The car that got me thinking about this topic is the Mahindra XUV300.
Oh man! I was just posting about this. Beautiful cars ruined by bean counters!

In case of the XUV300, they haven't only deleted the features, but also cheapened out the quality of critical parts!

Referring to my other post in the Official Review thread. Link (Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review)

The link rod used in earlier versions would cost around 2700 while the new one has been cheapend out to just 700 bucks! And it is showing in the vehicle reliability.

It would be a tough call to put my money on another Mahindra, but looking at the areas where other manufacturers skimp on, I have very few choices.

Last edited by anantpoddar : 6th June 2024 at 13:07. Reason: updated
anantpoddar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 13:37   #10
BHPian

I'm resigned to the fact that car manufacturers will pinch pennies and cut corners like this always. Happens when you have people at the top with only numbers running in their mind.

What pisses me off is when car manufacturers delete features and then try to call it convenient for consumers. I find that insulting to whatever small amount of intelligence I have.

Like this one from Maruti Suzuki.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...epair-kit.html (Maruti Fronx's new Delta+ (O) variant | Ditches spare tyre for a puncture repair kit)
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 14:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiekennugget View Post
Some cars that I can recall from the top of my head are:

Skoda Octavia (2021): removed sunroof, auto parking that the previous generation got. The international variant retained these features.
4th generation Skoda Octavia sedan did not get the sunroof anywhere in the world, it is only the Estate/Wagon variant that is offered with a panoramic sunroof, The same trend is also seen with the latest generation Superb.

Regarding the auto parking feature, it does exist on the 4th generation Octavia and was offered in the L&K variant.
abaliga is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 14:32   #12
BHPian

I wish there was a rule, which mandated the manufacturers to change the variant name in case some features were added/deleted.
Would make life so much easier.
ralto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 14:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaliga View Post
4th generation Skoda Octavia sedan did not get the sunroof anywhere in the world, it is only the Estate/Wagon variant that is offered with a panoramic sunroof, The same trend is also seen with the latest generation Superb.

Regarding the auto parking feature, it does exist on the 4th generation Octavia and was offered in the L&K variant.
Thank you so much. I didn't know that (sorry).

I thought Skoda removed the sunroof because I remember seeing it on the international website. I might have confused the estate variant with the sedan variant.

But, if Skoda were to launch the new superb (sedan) here, they would add a sunroof right? Otherwise, they are going to lose even the small amount of customers that car would get. There is a high possibility that they won't launch the combi variant here as they have never done it (they did it for the octavia in 2005, not for superb).
chiekennugget is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 15:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Here are some of the worst ones I can think of in the same generation:

BMW X1 :
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/2016-b...2990-3990-lakh

When launched in 2016, it had the X-Drive all wheel drive system on the higher variants.
After 2020, this was deleted even as prices touched 50L onroad.

Volvo XC60:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...5-90-lakh.html (2017 Volvo XC60 launched at Rs. 55.90 lakh)

When launched in 2017 for 55L, it had height adjustable air suspension, blind spot monitor etc which were all first in class. All were deleted in the 2020 refresh even as prices went up significantly, touching 85L on road.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 17:06   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Apart from all the aforementioned features, would you also consider engine downgrades like on the new X1s and A-class another deletion? I would indeed call them deletions, as they literally are in the number of cylinders and displacement.

On an added note, I feel the biggest deletion any car in India ever saw was the removal of Magic seats from the 3rd gen Jazz. This feature alone was enough to sell the 2nd gen Jazz, yet it was gone and never returned in any facelifts!
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks