Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Did you extend your budget and go for a higher-priced car?
Yes 251 68.96%
No 113 31.04%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2024, 13:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car

Yes. In 2020, I was looking for a fun to drive small car. Had narrowed down on the Ford Freestyle TDCI within INR 10 lakhs. However, once I took test drives of Freestyle and Ecosport, it was a no-brainer and I ended up getting the top end Ecosport S TDCI. Zero regrets though had to stretch budget by 50%.

In hindsight, it was a fantastic decision since the Ecosport is one of the best cars I have driven and lived with, and I continue to enjoy the vehicle every single day, it being my daily driver.
arindambasu13 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 14:10   #32
BHPian

Yes. I was looking for 2nd car. It should be an automatic. Initially started with used car options, was looking for honda specific with budget around 6-7 lakhs. Saw a amaze cvt but it was RJ registration, and was getting it for 7 lakhs. By brother suggested to go for new one, so got the quotes for Amaze vx cvt, which was costing 10.70 on road Gurgaon. I already drive a Baleno petrol and was not convinced with buying another 1200 cc car.
Queried about Brezza vxi AT and got it home. In the end, I doubled my budget.
nevin007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 15:08   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Voted No.

I had initial budget of 75 Lakhs. We evaluated many option before we finalized Hycross ZX(O) with all useful accessories installed. Nothing seemed more value than the Hycross, even though the 3 series (330Li) enticed us for a bit yet failed to make it to the final list due to our requirement not met.

Saved a cool 35Lakhs.
UD17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 15:25   #34

Yes

Zero regrets on that! I wanted to get the new Hyundai Verna AT with a budget of 18L but after careful consideration and the not so great looks, I stretched 5L more and got the Tata harrier AT for 23L. Absolutely happy with the decision I've made. The pros outweighed much for the Harrier for the 5L I had stretched, and not gonna upgrade for the next decade for sure as it had all the things covered. Even though I've prepared myself to dedicate a two week window to keep aside for Tata niggles and issues I've not forgotten, once I encountered an issue and the car always reiterates that I've taken a right decision every time I drive.

Last edited by KarthikK : 15th May 2024 at 15:33.
adityakommuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 16:08   #35
BHPian

Yes..

I was having Swift VXI (2014). I had maintained it very well and and I was very much happy with it. But, with so many new cars with advanced technologies and features and with the ever increasing traffic in Pune, I started to look for a new car in 2023 with automatic gearbox.

My initial budget was around 15-16L max. So, that budget automatically narrowed down the options available.

I first checked for new Brezza. But didn't like the interiors much and for the features I was looking for, it was costing around 17L+.

Then Nexon facelift got launched. I was interested in it due to solid build quality, 5-star safety rating and lot of features and DCA. But the variant, I was focusing on was going out of my budget. Also started hearing about the niggles, QC issues, DCA problems on few forums. This lost my confidence.

There was no certain news about XUV 300 facelift. So didn't consider it. Venue, Sonet were not considered due to very limited space in the back seat. Kiger and Magnite were never thought of.

So with no choice available in my budget range, started focusing on the likes of Kushaq, Taigun, Seltos FL. Also convinced wifey that there is no option than to increase our budget

While doing this, news started coming about Creta FL. Decided to wait more to give it a try.

So, finally booked Creta S(O) IVT in March-24. Got the delivery on 9th April (on the auspicious day of Gudi Padwa). It cost me around 18.70 L OTR Pune including basic accessories.

So, yeah, almost paid 3L more over my budget. But no regrets at all. I am just loving it driving it around crowded city roads and highways.

I would recommend, go with your heart if it desires the car of its choice even though you have to stretch your budget..
Attached Thumbnails
When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-creta.jpg  

Last edited by satya_ip : 15th May 2024 at 16:11. Reason: Missed few details
satya_ip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 16:26   #36

Yes this thing has always happened with me.

Last year I had kept a budget of 15L and was thinking to buy Kia Seltos. But my heart was always inclined to XUV700. From the time it was launched and after reading the detailed review on TeamBhp I had dreamt of owning this machine. Heart was saying to go for XUV but mind was not allowing me to stretch my budget, but once I took the test drive it became crystal clear that my next car will be this power packed machine.
Without telling anyone at home I went ahead with the booking of XUV700.

I have no regrets for my decision & I cherish every moment that I spend with this beast.
Cool Piscean is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 17:15   #37
BHPian

Yes. I am on my third car and this has happened every single time:
  • 2018 - Was about to purchase a 2006 Accent GLS 1.6L for 1.3L, but then the seller kept delaying the deal, leading up to me going to Hyderabad and buying a 2010 Superb DSG TDI while spending 4x of the initial budget:

When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-20210210_152917-1.jpg

When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-20190829_191227_hdr.jpg

• 2021 - The plan was a Safari 4x4 for around 3-4L. Ended up buying an absolutely mint 2018 Vento 1.5 TDI DSG with intact warranty for 2x the original budget - Still serves our house and will be for quite a while:

When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-img_6239.jpg

When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-279379019_428605602363403_6919762409392201503_n.jpg
  • 2023 - Was in the market for a used Crysta/Fortuner/C200/E200/328i/530d under 20L. Ended up buying a brand new Scorpio-N for 8.4L more than the budget. I suppose it is a trend by this point:

When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-dscf3085.jpg

When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-dscf3063.jpg

vredesbyrd is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 19:28   #38
BHPian

I had no plans to buy a car, but the Mahindra ScorpioN impressed me. While trying to book during the introductory price session, I encountered an error message from the bankside. When I had given up on purchasing a car, Mahindra surprised me with a message, notifying me I was eligible for the introductory price. With little planning, I bought the car.
sabsubs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 20:08   #39

For my first car, I had a budget of 4 lakhs. I had my eyes on Renault Kwid, since it was a new launch back in 2016. However, my family persuaded me to go for a trust worthy model, so we decided to go for Swift ZXi. Stretched our budget to 7.5 lakhs and waited for 3 months, when VXi was available within a month. However, it was worth the wait, as the car is still going strong with 32K kilometers completed.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th May 2024 at 20:10.
Old 15th May 2024, 20:43   #40
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I was happy driving my Dwift Dzire VXI from Jan 2009 till about the end of 2022 and then I was wondering what I should do in Jan 2024 when it’ll be time for the renewal of the fitness certificate, at that point there was no real itch though. Probably the COVID slowdown and lack of driving played its part too.

Then, a friend asked if I could accompany him while he test drove cars and was looking to replace his 2011 Swift VXI. I jumped at the prospect, so we started off looking at the 15-20L bracket cars, and we looked at the Grand Vitara and its step twin Hyryder. My friend immediately realised he wanted more space and a 7 seater and I realised that the Hybrids weren’t for me since I felt I’d missed a whole generation of bigger cars and also realised my budget should go up to 30L at least!

After we completed all the Test Drives, I loved the Safari and my friend liked the XUV 700, so he booked it in November 2022. I was still on the fence and also the rational mind played devils advocate, so I went back to assess what I really wanted. I realised what I needed was a 5 seater with a good, 2L Diesel engine and driving comfort that mattered to me, so test drove the Harrier and XUV 700 (second time, this one for myself) and booked the Harrier XZA+ #Dark edition in April 2023 and took delivery in June 2023.

Last edited by NPV : 15th May 2024 at 20:44.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 21:15   #41
BHPian

It is a great idea as to why it may be worthwhile to stretch and go for THAT car/bike.

I bought a RE Himalayan for 2.77L after considering its KTM sibling, the 390 ADV which was around 4.3L on road Bengaluru that time. I still rue at that decision as forcing the dealership to give a longer test ride of the 390 ADV/or going to another to take one might have been the better choice in the long run considering my taste and I would have kept it even now ( I own its sporty BS4 sibling, a preowned Duke 390). Riding one for a friend who wanted a 2022 used sample going at a very attractive price recently proved it. KTM has indeed improved since then and it shows in the sales figures, even influencing RE to make a similarly powerful engine to correct one of the 411s faults (its certainly not the very same).

Mods, you may move the post to a relevant thread if theres any. Wanted to give a perspective on this.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 15th May 2024 at 21:19.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 22:09   #42
BHPian

This is was in 2008.
I was visiting home from a US trip, and I wanted to buy a Santro which was well within the budget.
My mom always wanted a dikki car at home, so to make sure her dream is fulfilled, was very influenced by TeamBHP as well. I stretched my budget and bought home Fiesta top end SXI.
The car was fantastic, but I was mentally not prepared for taking that additional hit on my finances. I was young and wanted to get the best.
It's in the past now and no regrets.
Buying a car is really a mind game, where you keep telling yourself 'this is enough'.
Old 15th May 2024, 22:09   #43
BHPian

I was looking for a replacement and upgrade for my 2016 Ford Ecosport Diesel. I was looking for an automatic for a long time, but few cars could match up to or exceed the driving feel of the Ecosport and give an automatic option. The resale value was also really low, with even Ford themselves quoting really low priced for the car.

I initially planned to upgrade to the XUV700 AX5 P AT (21 lacs OTR at the time) and even booked it in the first 25K. However, Ford did us all dirty by packing up and leaving abruptly, causing their resale values to tank. Then Kerala state also threw a spanner in the works by refusing to implement BH registration.

The XUV was no longer in my budget, and had to tearfully let go of the booking.

Fast forward a year and half and the Scorpio-N was launched. This time around, I was able to get a better price for the Ecosport, but still wasn't able to get the BH registration. I had a max budget of about 17-18 lacs, but I knew from the last time around that the launch prices would shoot up and leave it completely out of my budget if I didn't buy it then. Not to mention the infamous post-launch feature deletions that had hit all cars. The AX5 was now dearer by 2-3 lacs. So I opted to go for the lowest priced AT variant of the Scorpio-N.

A year and half later, I have no regrets. I think I made the right call, even though I am still recovering from the budget extension. Still enjoy every moment I'm driving it, even if it is just sitting in the traffic.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th May 2024 at 13:36. Reason: Smileys - 2 per post.
vivekgk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 23:18   #44
BHPian

Went 2X of my budget
EMI is hurting me every month
Somehow feels like worth all the effort
When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-4.jpg
YOLO
sandygordon is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 00:05   #45

I was planning to buy a Swift while posted in Mumbai sometime in 2010. My friend was buying a Wagon-R CNG and explained me the benefits of CNG and how it would substantially reduce traveling cost. Downgraded from Swift to Wagon R.

Fast Forward 2023. I had actually given my drivers test exam in a TATA Sumo and I just loved the seating position. I had absolutely no requirement of a car as my workplace was just walking distance from home. Just loved the looks of the new Scorpio-N and jaywalked in-to the showroom alone to just have a look. As I sat on the drivers seat, it gave me that Sumo wala feel in a nice luxurious way. Took for a test drive and I was awed. I told the Dealer guy that I was just doing time pass to which he was absolutely fine. Next day I took my wife to check it and she fell head over heels with that car, drove the car home to check if it could fit into my parking which it did. Went ahead and booked the Z4 Petrol which was some 15 lacs.

The dealer guy was smiling for the fact that we couldn't resist but go ahead. I was given a waitlisted time of more than 1.5 years. Before leaving the dealership, I asked him to inform if any car was available before time (if some one cancels & all). I kept informing that I would go ahead with any variant if I am able to get it on my Anniversary i.e 3rd July. June last week he informs me that one Z8L Petrol (Top End) and one Z8 4*4 Diesel was available. Booked the Z8 4*4 and got it home on our anniversary. I went some 6 lacs over budget but the upgrade in terms of interiors plus the 4*4 was all worth it. In short, I have never stuck to a particular budget. (My picture with my luxury 4*4 sumo :-))
Attached Thumbnails
When you extended your budget and went for a higher-priced car-fe8f52b57e704cfa8c9c660aa9d54ffd.jpg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th May 2024 at 21:10. Reason: “i —> I”. Please use caps where required. Also, para spacing for readability.
Templeoflou is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks