Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2024, 07:58   #1
BHPian

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?

Sedan Sales Analysis (2021-2024)

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-sales-2021.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-market-share-2021.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-market-share-segment-2021.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c1-segment-sales-2021.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c1-top-selling-2021.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c2-segment-sales-2021.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c2-top-selling-2021.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-d1-segment-sales-2021.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-d2-segment-sale-2021.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-sales-2022.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-market-share-2022.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-market-share-segment-2022.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c1-segment-sales-2022.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c1-top-selling-2022.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c2-segment-sales-2022.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c2-top-selling-2022.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-d1-segment-sales-2022.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-d2-segment-sale-2022.jpg

Last edited by JDMBOI : 8th May 2024 at 17:05.
JDMBOI is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 08:01   #2
BHPian

Re: Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-sales-2023.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-market-share-2023.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-market-share-segment-2023.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c1-segment-sales-2023.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c1-top-selling-2023.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c2-segment-sales-2023.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c2-top-selling-2023.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-d1-segment-sales-2023.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-d2-segment-sale-2023.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-sales-2024.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-market-share-2024.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-market-share-segment.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c1-segment-sales-2024.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c1-top-selling-.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c2-segmetn-sales-2024.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c2-top-selling-2024.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-d1-d2-sales-2024.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-d2-sales-2024.jpg

Last edited by JDMBOI : 8th May 2024 at 17:06.
JDMBOI is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 08:02   #3
BHPian

Comparison (2021-2024)

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-total-cars-sold.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c1-vs-c2.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-d1-vs-d2.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c1-sales-over-years.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-c2-sales-over-years.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-d1-segment-sales.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-d2-segment-sales.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-yearly-cars-sold.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-market-share-segment-years.jpg

Sedan sales analysis | Now, the least favourite segment?-market-share-over-years.jpg

Sedan, the least favourite segment?

Sedan volume is purely driven by the sub-4m segment while C2 commands only one third of the former. It took a nose dive but thanks to Skoda/VW for injecting some life by bringing new products. I think it is the craze for beefed up hatchbacks aka CSUV's, the reason behind decline in sale of sedans & all other segments and once this bubble pops we might see some recovery in the, once loved, segment. Right now sedans are the least favourite as it is the least sold segment.

Similar thread - Link (Will the era of sedans ever make a comeback in India?)

Note :
  • All the figures are taken from our Moderator Aditya posts and Thanks to Auto Punditz for April 2024 data.
  • 2024 year includes data upto April month.

Last edited by JDMBOI : 8th May 2024 at 21:31.
JDMBOI is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 22:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 23:48   #5
BHPian

Unfortunate, but true. It may be the favourite body style of the majority of BHPians including me (link to related thread), but the general junta don't have the same opinion. No matter how much juice is injected in the sedan segment, it simply won't thrive, even though it will continue to exist.

People don't seem to understand the pros of buying a sedan. Single-handedly, low centre of gravity achieves: better agility (and hence, better active safety), lesser body roll, better aerodynamics resulting in better fuel efficiency + higher top speed, and other benefits like good looks, lower sticker price, lower mass, so on and so forth. The only chink in the armour is low ground clearance (can't you live with it?!!) and the lack of "street cred" (you might as well buy a KSRTC bus if you want actual street presence!)

Just look at a sedan - say, a Volkswagen Virtus. Look at the three boxes. Look at that beautiful low stance. Doesn't the silhouette tug at your heartstrings? Doesn't she call you towards her and tell you to sit down in the car, as opposed to sliding your butt in an "SUV"? Aren't you tempted to chuck that beauty into corners and feel the benefits of the low centre of gravity (that's me!) while doing so? After the exhilarating drive, when you walk away from the car, doesn't she make you turn back and look at her?

A great person once said: Sedans are of enthusiasts, by enthusiasts and for enthusiasts (I wonder who the great person is ). But alas, most people will answer the above questions in the negative. So much for high seating position and street presence. Sigh.

P.S: Please consider this post as a rant. I know it doesn't belong here, but I felt like pouring my heart out with some FI technology (fun injected technology ). I don't mean to demean SUV owners / buyers in any way. Cheers!
CentreOfGravity is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 08:30   #6
BHPian

Although I've always leaned towards sedans over SUVs, all my previous cars have been either hatchbacks or sedans. However, it's disappointing to see that the current D1 and D2 segments lack quality sedan options priced under 50 lakhs, such as the Jetta, Passat, Octavia, or Superb
manjubp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 09:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreOfGravity View Post

People don't seem to understand the pros of buying a sedan. Single-handedly, low centre of gravity achieves: better agility (and hence, better active safety), lesser body roll, better aerodynamics resulting in better fuel efficiency + higher top speed, and other benefits like good looks, lower sticker price, lower mass, so on and so forth.
I recognize that for many, practicality takes precedence over sheer enthusiasm. Factors like increased ground clearance and enhanced visibility weigh heavily in decision-making.

After thirty years behind the wheel of a Bolero and a Scorpio, I made the switch to an i20. Those vehicles fulfilled all my practical requirements admirably. However, nothing quite matches the sheer delight of driving a sleek, low-slung car!
ruskinash is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 11:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

It’s a sad state indeed. I don’t think I will ever move out of sedan as my primary car. I have tried many SUVs and crossovers and just hate that seating position itself. For many like me, car means a sedan and hope we do have enough options in future
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 11:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
and the lack of "street cred" (you might as well buy a KSRTC bus if you want actual street presence!)
My colleagues are wondering what happened to me as I read this sentence and laughed out loud . And KSRTC is a political hot topic now.

Completely agree with your points. I sincerely hope the manufacturers never abandon these beauties even if the majority sentiment moves away from them. As buyers in this booming country, always good to have options in terms of practicality, beauty, and performance.
ask_017 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 11:52   #10
BANNED

Octavia was my last proper sedan before I sold it in 2013 and settled for Ertiga MUV for its people moving capacity with sheer utility.
From then onwards it is either hatchback (Alto and Polo GT) or Compact SUV (Maruti Brezza).
Future ahead for me is a proper RWD SUV (Thar & Jimny in contention right now) waiting for Duster.

No doubt sedans are dying.
Old 9th May 2024, 12:02   #11
BHPian

Most of the graphs are misleading. Because you've taken all sales till 04-2024, the graph obviously takes a sharp dip. Sensationalism? The data for the same period doesn't show a drastic change.

For example, if I multiply 04-2024 by 3 to approximately predict the yearly sales, we get for 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024:
1. Total sedans sold -> 300304, 418868, 386203, 384051
2. C1 segment -> 213928, 302116, 283037, 305844
3. C2 segment -> 82188, 109574, 100659, 75324
4. D2 segment -> 2463, 4038, 2239, 2883

Yes, there's a big dip only in C2 segment, but for all other segments, there's actually an increase in many (ofcourse, we have to see for the rest of the year). In short, nothing conclusive.

A better way to compare is to look at the percentage of sedans as a proportion of the total sales.
PearlJam is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 12:23   #12
BHPian

Sedans are the most beautiful form in automobiles and a lot of people agree. By default when we think of cars, the image is always a sedan that comes to mind. All non sedans are not cars if I may be permitted to say so ( may be Jeep ).

The sedan sales need to be studied globally if it is falling across all countries. In India we have been tuned to think that our roads infrastructure is very bad and that we need to survive by buying a SUV with high ground clearance as a matter of necessity. But I think we have come a long way from this thought process now with our roads infrastructure getting better year by year. Let us suppose that a country has the best of roads and the only reason to prefer a SUV over a sedan is its butch looks. This craze of owning a butch vehicle and intimidating other cars on the road has become a trend and fashion. I am not sure if it is copied from west or not as butch SUVs in west are V6 or V8 pickups and our Indian butch definition is hatchbacks with higher ground clearance.

Pls refer the metrics on quality of roads below. India had very bad roads in 2008 ( 2.94 points ) compared to 2019 ( 4.5 points compared to world average of 4.07 ). India is placed at rank 46 on roads quality.

May be many of us in India are stuck at 2008 days and still think that sedans are not suitable for Indian roads because of roads quality and hence, the automakers are not investing in sedans anymore.

https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/India/roads_quality/ https://www.theglobaleconomy.com/Ind...04.07%20points.

Last edited by Mystic : 9th May 2024 at 12:28.
Mystic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 12:28   #13
BHPian

Quote:
People don't seem to understand the pros of buying a sedan. Single-handedly, low centre of gravity achieves: better agility (and hence, better active safety), lesser body roll, better aerodynamics resulting in better fuel efficiency + higher top speed, and other benefits like good looks, lower sticker price, lower mass, so on and so forth. The only chink in the armour is low ground clearance (can't you live with it?!!) and the lack of "street cred" (you might as well buy a KSRTC bus if you want actual street presence!)
I totally agree with your points and it is better (theoretically). On the ground things are different. You want to to drive in a city, oh well you are not catching any speed and hence no aerodynamic or fuel efficiently advantage. The roads in cities with the plethora of potholes, unscientific speed bumbs, steep angles for basement parking mean ground clearance is not a nice to have but a necessity. Now add parking to the mix, 5 person car but a meter of extra length required for parking? Why don't I just get the shorter compact SUV with same seating or get a larger 7 seater MUV for the same length? ( I know I am simplifying this a lot by excluding the prices and need, but you get the point ) Include the easier entering and leaving the vehicle ( Also the luggage ) its a no brainer for the masses. Rural India too with the weaker infrastructure gobbles up SUVs (See Mahindra's Lineup).
itspatra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 13:14   #14
BHPian

Another factor to consider is the limited options in sedans in the market. Companies like Kia, Mahindra & Tata don't even sell a single sedan model.

Currently the next sedan option after 25 Lakhs is close to 60 lakhs, there is a huge segment which is just not served this body style, hence people can't buy one even if they want to.

Heck there are not many options in the lower segment too, the only segment with acceptable options is the 15 to 25 L segment.
Old 9th May 2024, 14:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
Another factor to consider is the limited options in sedans in the market. Companies like Kia, Mahindra & Tata don't even sell a single sedan model. .

Completely resonate with this. While we all know sedans are dying primarily due to lack of demand, we also need to understand OEMs are not even bothered to offer at least one for each segment. There are enough arguments about OEMs are not offering because of lack of demand but then where did the demand come from for Virtus and Slavia?

The way I see it - sure sedans are dying, however if OEMs start reviving the segment by offering quality products the only way it can go is up
thisissoumya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks