Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2024, 07:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2024 Case Study: Rise of the Tata Punch to #1 ranking in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
While this is indeed good to have, fuel efficiency is important from the city driving perspective. My Tiago seems to have unfortunately settled into a 11-13 kmpl rhythm in medium-high traffic conditions, where a Maruti equivalent may have at least 15-16 kmpl.
Even though my daily commute is just 20kms, for same reason I had bought Tiago Diesel in 2016. It would easily return 17 kmpl inside city. Replaced it with Punch Petrol and max I have got inside city is 12 kmpl. I reported this to Service Manager and he said that such low figures are not heard of, he said it should return 14-15 kmpl. I offered him to keep my car and use it for his daily commute and report. He smiled and rejected.

Tata needs to address this, because their petrol engines are neither fun to drive nor efficient. Nexon is better due to turbo petrol but it has become a lot more expensive and doesn't offer as much value as Punch. It's one of the reasons why sales has dipped.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 07:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
While this is indeed good to have, fuel efficiency is important from the city driving perspective. My Tiago seems to have unfortunately settled into a 11-13 kmpl rhythm in medium-high traffic conditions, where a Maruti equivalent may have at least 15-16 kmpl.
If I am not wrong the weight of Tiago is around 1.1 ton. And the weight of wagon R, Celerio etc are around 800kgs. This may be one of the contributors to the lower mileage. Safety comes at a cost!
Raghuwire is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 09:00   #48
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
If I am not wrong the weight of Tiago is around 1.1 ton. And the weight of wagon R, Celerio etc are around 800kgs. This may be one of the contributors to the lower mileage. Safety comes at a cost!
Jazz weighs less than Tiago and is still a safe car and bigger one at that.

Safety does not mean lugging weight around contrary to popular opinion still. Safety comes from clever design of crumple zones that can disperse the energy of the impact and not transmit it to occupants.

Besides the weight, the under powered engines don't help the cause further resulting in lower power to weight ratio.
ToThePoint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 09:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tiago weighs a shade below one ton. Not 1.1 ton plus- thats a Polo GT TSI. Yet even that car delivered greater FE.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 09:57   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Even though my daily commute is just 20kms, for same reason I had bought Tiago Diesel in 2016. It would easily return 17 kmpl inside city. Replaced it with Punch Petrol and max I have got inside city is 12 kmpl. I reported this to Service Manager and he said that such low figures are not heard of, he said it should return 14-15 kmpl. I offered him to keep my car and use it for his daily commute and report. He smiled and rejected.

Tata needs to address this, because their petrol engines are neither fun to drive nor efficient.
Absolutely true.

Anyone who wants to buy a Punch should be ready for the below average fuel efficiency it returns.

I have always had above average fuel efficiency in all my cars, including the heavy Storme varicor 400. But Punch beats them all when it comes to high running costs.

This is the data for 3000 km that I have used my Punch. 100% AC, 50% city driving 50% Highways not exceeding 110 kmph.

2024 Case Study: Rise of the Tata Punch to #1 ranking in India-screenshot_20240509100403_fuelio.jpg

A very very ordinary 14 kmpl!

Meanwhile the other 3 cylinder N/A petrol of mine - Maruti celerio k10c returns >5 kmpl on same conditions

2024 Case Study: Rise of the Tata Punch to #1 ranking in India-screenshot_20240509100547_fuelio.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 9th May 2024 at 10:01.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 10:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
I don't think so.

There is a simple reason why the Punch beat the Wagon R. It is more aspirational. It has better styling, better interiors, and feels more sophisticated to drive.
Exactly. My uncles and some relatives who have been die hard supporters of Maruti, are now vouching for Punch and Tiago. These are the folks who didn't even like to touch an Indica or Sumo with a pole. Now these same people aspire to own a Tata. That's saying something about new gen Tata cars. Their mechanical, electrical niggles and ASC issues aside, these new gen Tata's especially the Punch looks really good, feels premium, rides like magic carpet and the 5 star safety rating all make it super desirable for the middle class.
RD410 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 10:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Tiago weighs a shade below one ton. Not 1.1 ton plus- thats a Polo GT TSI. Yet even that car delivered greater FE.
In your original message, you compared Maruti, hence compared both. Kerb weight online is 1012kg for petrol version, my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
Jazz weighs less than Tiago and is still a safe car and bigger one at that.

Safety does not mean lugging weight around contrary to popular opinion still. Safety comes from clever design of crumple zones that can disperse the energy of the impact and not transmit it to occupants.

Besides the weight, the under powered engines don't help the cause further resulting in lower power to weight ratio.
We run a Jazz in Vijayawada, it's an AT. We get around 10 with AC and lower traffic.

Below a baseline, I guess you need to add steel to make the frame safer. Anyway, my point was the additional 200-250kgs is a contributor to lower mileage. Also, Jazz is a 4 star with all the clever engineering! I guess there are other numerous threads to bash Tata, right now we are going off topic. On a side note, we have a WagonR in GA05, returning a mileage of around 14 easily.
Old 9th May 2024, 11:37   #53
BHPian

I've driven both Punch and Wagon R extensively. Punch as a product offers much more at a very reasonable price. The comfort, handling, ride everything feels much better and mature than Wagon R or any other car of that segment. BS6 Phase 2 engine is a lot more smoother than the previous gen. Wagon R is a lot more frugal, and feels better off the line. But once you hit the open roads, it doesn't give you that confidence. I recently did a day long drive in Punch and it was really a fatigue free experience.
Udit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 18:15   #54
BHPian

Tata Punch getting top spot is encouraging. I have a feeling that people have started to see beyond “Kitna Deti Hai”.
The car looks like a mini rhino on wheels. Clever design and yes it’s a micro SUV. Hatchbacks are passe.
I have to take a test drive. It is definitely a better option over Ignis.
Again I don’t understand why don’t manufacturers make one top end model with the best safety features in a small car?
There are buyers who will pay more for a top rated small car. Manufacturers need to cater to this.
Old 9th May 2024, 18:59   #55
BHPian

Quote:
While the kerb weight of a vehicle is a significant factor affecting FE, it isn't the sole factor. For example, a Maruti Wagon-R with five people onboard would easily tip the scale above one tonne, yet it would probably still return better FE than a Tata Punch with one or two people onboard. Keeping the safety aspect aside, IMO, Maruti engineers truly excel in churning out more than decent power and fantastic FE from their engines.

As an overall package, the Punch is a fantastic little car, which, to be honest, lacks serious competition.

P.S. - I don't own a Maruti car currently, and one of the cars in our garage is a Tata Punch.

Last edited by Emvi : 9th May 2024 at 19:03.
Emvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2024, 22:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Other than some emotional satisfaction of Tata Punch at the top primarily due to the most attractive SUV body style below 10 lakhs that offers a CNG and more importantly a electric option I find very little to go to town with.

1. Tata does not have a single other car in the list
2. They are not class leaders in any of the segments.
3. The fact that a 23 year old model is still selling in such numbers speaks to the amount of value that the said model offers even in this age of SUVs. The only thing that it needs is an EV avatar and Tata Punch may find itself punched out - pardon the pun.
4. To me Tata and Mahindra are just not doing enough - sorry to take a contrarian view. The safety pitch has done it's course and they are not class leading in any segment except the micro SUV segment for Tata.
5. In light of recent developments in Kerala I feel these two manufacturers while quick to cash in on the EV fad have put precious little effort in developing an EV charging ecosystem which is to make an understatement is the need of the hour.
6. Both Tata and Mahindra need to take a close hard look at how Hyundai built their brand and rose to number 2 in India and how Maruti continues to hold numero uno position (check out the latest financials) and has plenty of runway and investment appetite to still keep on churning big sellers from their stable. Look at the S-Cross replacement the Fronx which is basically a lifted Baleno selling 14k opposed to the 5K that the S-Cross struggled to do.

The party is quite premature and we should be quite critical of these brands to get them anywhere near the global brands.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 08:47   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
6. Both Tata and Mahindra need to take a close hard look at how Hyundai built their brand and rose to number 2 in India and how Maruti continues to hold numero uno position (check out the latest financials) and has plenty of runway and investment appetite to still keep on churning big sellers from their stable. Look at the S-Cross replacement the Fronx which is basically a lifted Baleno selling 14k opposed to the 5K that the S-Cross struggled to do.

Drive on,
Shibu
If you took a closer look, Tata did take the 2nd spot overtaking Hyundai in multiple occasions.

Regarding Scross/Fronx reference, I genuinely believe making better cars (safer, good driving dynamics) is more important than garnering sales exploiting an already unsafe platform. I think Mahindra and Tata do a much better job than Maruti in their r&D.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 00:33   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
If you took a closer look, Tata did take the 2nd spot overtaking Hyundai in multiple occasions.

Regarding Scross/Fronx reference, I genuinely believe making better cars (safer, good driving dynamics) is more important than garnering sales exploiting an already unsafe platform. I think Mahindra and Tata do a much better job than Maruti in their r&D.
The platform has no issues as such. The cars with the same platform, case in point the swift etc from developed markets are safe. They handle quite well.
They just reduced the amount of cross members from the floorpan and used less amount of high tensile steel. A monocoque mainly gets its strength from its floorpan. I guess the newer maruti's from the baleno onwards feels a lot different compared to say, a swift 3rd gen and the arena cars like the celerio, alto etc.
We can literally understand a bit about their r&d from the fact that the altroz was designed grounds up with the ev powertrain in mind but they said the ground clearance would be less than the regular altroz which would render it unusable which is kind of funny
Abel_Philip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 10:07   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Punch outsells Nexon for fifth straight month.

In the battle between the compact SUV siblings, the Punch has raced ahead of the Nexon in CY2024. Between January and May 2024, the Punch has outsold the Nexon every month and clocked an estimated 92,070 units to the Nexon’s 68,260 units.

2024 Case Study: Rise of the Tata Punch to #1 ranking in India-screenshot-20240612-100542.png

Link:
Old 5th September 2024, 09:55   #60

From an engineering point of view, lot of components were already proved in other Tata cars.
1. Platform was tested in Altroz
2. Powertrains were tested in Tiago(Petrol & CNG), Altroz(Petrol) and Nexon (Ev)
3. Electrical & Electronic components were proved in Altroz, Tiago etc.

Usually, the initial version of Tata cars has issues. Often there is a perception that initial customers of a new Tata model are Guinea pigs and that the model is still in beta phase.

With Punch this perception was not around. Of course, factors mentioned by others in this forum are primary reasons.
anil_rnair is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks