Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2024, 17:38   #16
BHPian

Re: 2024 Case Study: Rise of the Tata Punch to #1 ranking in India

One contributing factor for Punch's success is the fact that entry level cars have become very expensive, coupled with the fact that every level cars are bound to be unsafe.

Punch is actually a small car, but looks big with the SUV form factor and is safe. Anyone buying an alto would think that they would upgrade, should the need arise. But if they buy a punch right away, an upgrade may not be necessary.

This I think is an important reason for Punch's success.
Benoit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 18:34   #17
BHPian

It's the design language that has made Tata stand apart from the competitors apart from the other factors.

I own a Punch AMT and I can relate to why it's so successful. The seating, the glass area, the feeling of airiness in the cabin, well put together dashboard and a decent ride quality goes a long way in wowing the customers. Heck I have even taken 4 adults (including 2 septuagenarian - in 70s) from Bangalore to Kolkata with 800kms runs without issues.

Its only achilles heal is the AMT which is "badly" tuned and is very jerky. But I have realized that the average Joe buying his/her first car or a car for their better half doesn't really bother about the 3 pot engine or the jerkiness. Infact most visits to the service centre are also very inconspicuous for most people, unless they have an issue which can bring out the chinks in the armor of the TATA A*S*S

The best part of punch is that it's a handsome looking car, and today, there are just too many of them on the road that customers see that as a social proof that it is good.
justwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 12:13   #18
BHPian

I have a close friend who sold his first gen i20 and bought a Punch and considers it an upgrade! I was astonished. He has worked at Toyota so he knows his cars. That goes a long way to say how good the Punch is.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 17:15   #19
BHPian

Tata Punch stands out as the leader in sales figures in April 2024 once more. According to India Today Auto Desk sales data, Tata Punch sold 19,158 units to take the top spot for the second straight month.

Here is a list of the top-selling cars in April 2024.

Data as published by India Today Auto Desk : https://www.indiatoday.in/auto/lates...628-2024-05-06

Ten best-selling cars in India in April 2024

1. Tata Punch - 19,158 units
2. Maruti Suzuki WagonR - 17,850 units
3. Maruti Suzuki Brezza - 17,113 units
4. Maruti Suzuki Dzire - 15,825 units
5. Hyundai Creta - 15,447 units
6. Mahindra Scorpio - 14,807 units
7. Maruti Suzuki Fronx - 14,286 units
8. Maruti Suzuki Baleno - 14,049 units
9. Maruti Suzuki Ertiga - 13,544 units
10. Maruti Suzuki Eeco - 12,060 units
inner_roadster is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 11:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch retained India's best-selling car tag for April 2024 and recorded dispatches of over 19k units! It is the second month in succession that a Non-Maruti tops the sales chart.

2024 Case Study: Rise of the Tata Punch to #1 ranking in India-smartselect_20240507112748_chrome.jpg

Source : autopunditz
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 11:41   #21
BANNED

Though Punch is good car I found it very costly compared to Ignis which I bought last year. Both cars offer more or less same package. I got Ignis Zeta for 7.9 Lakhs and similar punch model was around 11 Lakhs. Difference of 3 lakhs was too much for me to go for plus Maruti's 1.2 L K series engine is anytime better than Tata's 1.2 3-cylinder engine. Also Tata's long term reliability is still an issue along with their hit or miss service.

Tata has achieved a great success for Punch, kudos to them for the same. Happy that Tata finally got success after years of hard work. Personally I feel they need to work more on Petrol engines and their A.S.S., rest all things are good.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 14:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch remains the most popular model in April 2024

The Tata Punch was the best-selling model in India last month. Punch sales zoomed past Maruti Suzuki’s popular models like the WagonR, Swift and Brezza.

2024 Case Study: Rise of the Tata Punch to #1 ranking in India-2021tatapunch41.jpg

The Punch has emerged as the highest-selling model for 2 months in succession. Tata Motors sold 19,158 units of the Punch last month compared to 17,850 units of the WagonR. The third best-selling model was the Maruti Suzuki Brezza with 17,113 units.

The Punch was on top of the sales charts in March 2024 with sales of 17,547 units. In the same month, the Hyundai Creta was in second place with 16,458 units, while the Maruti WagonR was in third with 16,368 units.

Models like the Tiago, Altroz, Punch and Nexon have fuelled Tata Motors’ growth in the past few years. In FY2024, the homegrown carmaker pipped Hyundai to become the second-largest brand in India in terms of sales.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 15:42   #23

Re: Tata Punch remains the most popular model in April 2024

Tata Punch is truly an all rounder. Great safety , eye catching SUVish design, standard 1.2L petrol , EV and CNG options and premium upmarket interior at that price point. Tata ASS has also increased a lot in last 2-3 years despite a few intermittent horror incidents.
Being a best selling model from Tata Motor's is itself an achievement, repeating so is tremendous to say the least.
DrOrtho83 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 16:44   #24
BHPian

Amazing numbers indeed! Especially considering that the Punch outsold the WagonR – the official car of both cabbies and anyone needing transportation on a budget.

But hey, let's not forget the real moneymakers: Hyundai, raking it in with the Creta and Seltos. Consistently selling 20,000+ units a month of cars priced like small apartments in tier 2/3 cities... now that's a profit margin dream.

Tata, bless their hearts, desperately needs the Curvv to be a freakin' masterpiece to pull another "Punch" and even dent the Korean twins' sales figures. Let's hope it's not just another "good effort" kind of car.
DeKay is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 17:14   #25
BHPian

The punch seems to entered the virtuous cycle of sales. More the punch sells, more it is visible on the road, leading to even more sales.

Despite the complaints about quality, the below par service experience and, the online lynch mobs waiting to beat up TML for every quality defect, the Punch is clearly a good product. I trust the wisdom of the crowd in this instance. A car consistently selling in the top 5 must be a good package.
Motard_Blr is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 17:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think the wagon R, especially in it's k12 version is a much better car if you leave out the safety aspect. The poor quality may have ironically worked in its favour as it would have driven the cabbies away from it and towards the wagon R, and the wagon R seems to have met the Indica's fate. Ideally this would have been an opportunity to upsell the ignis, but the ignis is not available in maruti showrooms, and the Swift is a slightly different value proposition, and people seem to be buying punch instead.
greenhorn is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 17:48   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_roadster View Post

Ten best-selling cars in India in April 2024

1. Tata Punch - 19,158 units
2. Maruti Suzuki WagonR - 17,850 units
3. Maruti Suzuki Brezza - 17,113 units
4. Maruti Suzuki Dzire - 15,825 units
5. Hyundai Creta - 15,447 units
6. Mahindra Scorpio - 14,807 units
7. Maruti Suzuki Fronx - 14,286 units
8. Maruti Suzuki Baleno - 14,049 units
9. Maruti Suzuki Ertiga - 13,544 units
10. Maruti Suzuki Eeco - 12,060 units
Success of cars at Sl. Nos. 2,4 and 9 can majorly be attributed to taxi market. And success of car at Sl. No. 10, owing to part taxi, part delivery van market. That is not to say they're not successful otherwise. Good to see Fronx picking up. It is the most sporty looking sub-4M car, apart from Nexon facelift and Kiger. Punch has struck a right chord among small car buyers. It is scaling new heights every passing month. And, so is Scorpio.
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 18:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
I don't know why they don't plonk the previous 1.05L 3-pot revotorq diesel under it's bonnet. Such a nice engine that was from what I could remember. Even the owner's are aware about it.
The case for introducing a BS6-compliant 1.05L Revotorq diesel engine in the Tata Punch seems compelling due to factors like pricing power and potential volume growth. With a significant price difference between the petrol Punch and diesel Nexon models, Tata could successfully position the Punch diesel to fill an untapped market segment within its product lineup, enhancing its competitiveness and appeal to a wider range of customers.

Although Tata had previously utilized this engine for the Tiago and Tigor models, the decision was made to not introduce a BS6 version due to concerns about the justifiability of the associated price increase. Additionally, the company might have considered that the expected sales volumes might not have been adequate to offset the development costs, leading to the decision to forgo the upgrade.

Now, there is a massive 5lac+ price gap between a petrol Punch and a diesel Nexon, leaving Tata plenty of gap to insert the Punch diesel into it's product mix.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 18:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I think the wagon R, especially in it's k12 version is a much better car if you leave out the safety aspect. The poor quality may have ironically worked in its favour as it would have driven the cabbies away from it and towards the wagon R, and the wagon R seems to have met the Indica's fate. Ideally this would have been an opportunity to upsell the ignis, but the ignis is not available in maruti showrooms, and the Swift is a slightly different value proposition, and people seem to be buying punch instead.
My 72-year-old Father-in-law is one among that 17850 Wagon-R. He has been driving a manual Wagon-R for more than 15 years and wanted to upgrade to an Automatic. He tried Swift, Ignis, Exter, Punch and Tiago before going back to Wagon-R. As a tall boy, nothing else comes close to comfort for senior citizens. Since he does not drive more than 50 Km at a stretch on any given day, he was OK with the compromise of AMT.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th May 2024 at 10:21. Reason: Please capitalise as required. Thanks.
RaghuVis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 18:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Great for Tata Punch doing numbers, but why has Tata Nexon dropped its numbers?

Name:  Screenshot 20240507 185758.png
Views: 434
Size:  228.2 KB

Source: Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th May 2024 at 19:01.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks