Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2024, 13:10   #16
BHPian

Re: My diesel car crossed the 10-year mark | MCD seizes & tows away the car to a scrapping agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- If you wanted to pass the car on to a friend outside Delhi-NCR, you should have gotten the NOC and shipped the car out of Delhi-NCR well in advance.

Your 10-year old diesel car with an expired registration was on public property / roads. The authorities were well within their rights to tow your vehicle away.
GTO,

You have a point and I own the mistake. This is the reason I posted the thread. So, that others may take action in time and dispose off or transfer the vehicles to anyone before expiration of the registration of the vehicle.

In terms of the policy, it states:

1. Your vehicle will be towed away.
2. You will need to give a signed undertaking that you will not ply the vehicle on the roads of Delhi.
3. You will pay a challan of Rs. 10000 to the MCD authorities.
4. You get 1 year to apply for and get the NOC to transfer the vehicle outside Delhi.

If the vehicle is found plying on the road again, it will be straightaway sent to the scrap yard.

My problem is:

1. Nobody is willing to take the signed undertaking. I have been trying since 03.04.24 to submit the notarized affidavit.

2. Nobody knows who is supposed to accept the affidavit. The Delhi Transport Department says go to MCD, MCD says go to the Transport Department. The scrapper says he is unable to help as is just the custodian of the vehicle impounded by the MCD.

3. I have 21 days to complete the process. I got the affidavits prepared on the 4th day. Since last 9 days, I have been running around. But, I am unable to submit the affidavit.

Where should I escalate the issue?

I hope you can understand the issue here. It is pure harassment of the first order. And, there is no relief in sight.

The bottom-line for Delhi vehicle owners is:

- Take action and say goodbye to your vehicle ahead of its expiration
rdhawan15 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 13:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: My diesel car crossed the 10-year mark | MCD seizes & tows away the car to a scrapping agency

Legalised extortion is still extortion. Random charges are being tacked on to ensure they don’t have to pay you a single penny from the scrapping proceeds. I’m guessing the scrap yard is going to sell the car to some out of unscrupulous out of state dealer and claim it was scrapped. Most likely to be used in some rally. That MCD inspector is probably also in cohoots with them. They probably already have a buyer lined up. When has our officials ever moved so promptly in doing their jobs unless there is some other incentive in it for them? There is no way they immediately located and took away the car right after the registration expired unless they had already scoped it out for a while.
Cresterk is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 13:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Not to sound accusative, but ignorance of law is not an excuse. Expiry of 10 year old diesel vehicles is a know thing and proactively it should have been addressed and not left to the last minute.
The law is crystal clear.

- You will not ply the car after expiry of the registration period. I have that in signed undertaking.

- You will pay a fine of Rs. 10000 and towing charges. I am ready for both.

- You can get the NOC within 1 year of expiration of the vehicle. My vehicle expired on 28.03.24. So, I still have 50 weeks to apply for and get the NOC.

- The law states that the car will be sent for scrapping if the owner does not apply or submit the affidavit within 21 days of the seizure.

- There lies the catch. Nobody is willing to accept the affidavit.

I hope you can understand and empathize a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Legalised extortion is still extortion. Random charges are being tacked on to ensure they don’t have to pay you a single penny from the scrapping proceeds.
I am glad you nailed it well. This is exactly what I wanted to let the community know. Please have your vehicles transferred well ahead of time.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th April 2024 at 15:19. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Edit/Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts.
rdhawan15 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 13:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhawan15 View Post
Dear Team-BHPians,

I need a bit of help. This is a long thread.

But, any assistance on this thread will help other Delhi vehicle owners in knowing more about the End of Life Vehicles (ELV) and the policy of the Transport Department of Delhi (updated in February 2024)

If this could help a single family in transferring the car or scooter to a State outside Delhi, I would sleep happily.
I hear you, brother. I had to let go of our beloved Wagon R due to the stupid NGT rules. Coincidentally, just a month before selling our car, the MCD guys swooped inside our colony and towed away a Maruti 800. Incredulously, it was parked inside a private designated space but still, the MCD guys did not budge. The owner appealed on emotional grounds but to no avail. The car was towed away.

As other BHPians have mentioned already, legal assistance would be one way to deal with getting your car back. Conversely, if you can, get hold of an agent from the RTO. While they would take a commission, it should hopefully save you from further harassment. Since they know the "who's who", they ought to speed up the work and get your car transferred outside Delhi. Hope this helps
mugen_pinaki27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 13:35   #20
BHPian

Out of topic question, If someone has HR registration and the car is more than 10 years old, can they keep it outside NCR region without re-registering in another state?
Old 11th April 2024, 14:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddarth_Ramani View Post
Out of topic question, If someone has HR registration and the car is more than 10 years old, can they keep it outside NCR region without re-registering in another state?
If the RTO where the car is registered is out of NCR, then yes. More than 80% of Haryana districts fall under NCR
yadavsid21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 15:24   #22
BHPian

This comes as no surprise. Traffic cops here in Delhi are now stopping vehicles in heavy traffic just to impound 10/15+ year vehicles. I was stopped yesterday by mistake as they got my plate number wrong by 1 digit in their system. Better to get rid or transfer your cars before you're caught.
Old 11th April 2024, 15:56   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You need to understand that as long as the car remains in your name, you will be liable in case any accident happens or if the car gets embroiled in any case of illegal activity. Never just give the car away over to someone to use, apart from direct family. Onus is on you to make sure all ownership transfer related formalities are complete before vehicle is handed over.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 16:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Legalised extortion is still extortion.
Exactly. How can a policy be made without a thought on refunding 5 year one time tax?
The real intention here is to junk well to do vehicles under some fictitious reason of polluting. If at all why don’t they allow to change the engine? The engine is the polluting part, not the complete vehicle. If the new engine is allowed and vehicle passes fitness tests then the owner should be allowed.
This is day light robbery to pander to few car companies, drive their sales. If anyone from this group is planning to file case to stop this nonsense then I am ready to contribute.
RunGaDa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 16:11   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Officially, you need to get it registered by 11 months at the new location. No idea what hoops you’ll need to jump through to get it re-registered after the 10Y mark.

Without following the rule book, you can keep it outside, at your own risk. I’m sure many are doing that on ground.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 16:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
You need to understand that as long as the car remains in your name, you will be liable in case any accident happens or if the car gets embroiled in any case of illegal activity.
Thanks for the concern! But I'm not giving away car to anyone. Rather, I bought a 2015 June Jetta TDi manual from Faridabad (HR51) 2 months ago. It was transferred to my name immediately, however the address is of a relative's in Faridabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Officially, you need to get it registered by 11 months at the new location.
I'm aware of the 11 month rule, the car entered Karnataka in March 2024. I plan on re-registering it here by July. However some colleagues and neighbours suggested that I can keep using other state vehicles in Bangalore without any problems. Most of them are from Kerala, Orissa and North. After that I have also observed that more than 60% of vehicles in my apartment and office parking are out of state vehicles. So curious as to how long I can use my car without re-registration. Do note that car has been transferred to my name, but in Haryana RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadavsid21 View Post
If the RTO where the car is registered is out of NCR, then yes. More than 80% of Haryana districts fall under NCR
Ok thanks! Does HR 51 come under NCR?
Old 11th April 2024, 17:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

The whole thing stinks. ₹19/kg is what any scrap dealer on the street gives for old rusty tidbits of iron pipe, grillework, etc. I get that for literal junk from my fabrication/cycle workshop all the time.

Whereas for a 47,000kms run well-kept Duster there is very likely 3+L worth of good spare parts in it... Someone is making a real killing on this "enforcemwnt", to be sure.

As such this is a absolute insult, and not too difficult to guess what is happening here.

There is very little incentive for scrappers or middle-men in this process to be cooperative. They definitely don't want you to get your car back for very obvious reasons.

If the gov itself isn't making info readily available or assisting in any way, and is moreover giving such owners the run-around, it does naturally raise serious doubts as to whether THEY want to give you your car back, either... and thus naturally to some suspicions re: what sort of motivations they themselves are working under (or whom they're hand-in-hand with). .

Transparency would be very welcome/ called for.

Granted now that we all know the reality of super-vigilance and enforcement, nobody had dare to be in violation. Rules are (generally) there to be followed, no arguing that. Easier when implementation has been rational, of course.

One could argue that a car which has not even run 5,000kms a year isn't contributing very significantly to Delhi's pollution levels... The tech exists to ascertain / track / log such things and actually place the focus/ efforts on the greatest causes of/ contributors to (admittedly dire) pollution levels. But we are not necessarily working with a system that is interested in being fair and equitable here.

It's such a shame - I'd have happily given you a fair price for that car... been looking for a good Duster/ Terrano for a few years now.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 11th April 2024 at 17:53.
ringoism is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 17:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Faridabad(HR51) is very much in NCR.
Old 11th April 2024, 17:41   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the concern! But I'm not giving away car to anyone. Rather, I bought a 2015 June Jetta TDi manual from Faridabad (HR51) 2 months ago. It was transferred to my name immediately, however the address is of a relative's in Faridabad.

Yes, HR51 is Faridabad, which comes in NCR. Pls re register this car, ideally in a place far away. Else, get rid of it while you still can. The way things are shaping up, you never know when getting PUC renewal or insurance renewal also becomes a problem with these old NCR cars post their designated 10 years.
Old 11th April 2024, 17:49   #30
BHPian

Quick Question to NCR folks.

Why is it that there arent any EV converters in the city who can ideally take an Old car and convert it into a EV which is essentially non polluting. There is no point scrapping an entire car. It is essentially waste of resources, time and money.

NCR will be such a huge market for these converters.

To extend this question, why arent these converters thriving all over the country. There are only so few examples who do this, but they generally pick a new car like a dzire and convert it; which is a very expensive proposition. If we look at markets abroad, this is such an upcoming trend, and the converts are pretty much reliable as well.
frewper is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks