Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2024, 12:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Tamil Nadu stops registrations for olive green cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I fail to understand, are we living in a country ruled by Dimwits? Tomorrow anybody can bring out any law and ban anything.
Have no doubts regarding this. Whims and fancies take precedence over facts / technology / not so common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
Guys, relax. TN Transport department has already released another press release last month end taking their earlier notice back.
Someone feared PIL, sense prevailed (highly unlikely) or may be someone found amicable jugaad()

Right way should be OEM strictly adhering to said rule. Remember, its not always entry to cantonment (which is guarded) but approaching in vicinity also what matters. With multiple type of vehicles (Gypsy/ Ciaz / Innova / Scorpio/ etc) we never know which vehicle qualifies next and inducted, thus can't rule out specific vehicles for identification purpose.

Think about this, there is a rule in vogue that camouflage pattern cloth will not be sold to anybody other than armed forces, however it can be easily sourced from market which cascade into security challenges.

It should be our collective effort to mitigate security challenges for our OWN Armed forces. Nothing significant will change in case of non availability of certain shade of color. And the best part is - "If you want to drive one - Join forces"
Aviatoraval is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 12:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatoraval View Post
Have no doubts regarding this. Whims and fancies take precedence over facts / technology / not so common sense.

Someone feared PIL, sense prevailed (highly unlikely) or maybe someone found amicable jugaad()
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I fail to understand, are we living in a country ruled by Dimwits?
These are exactly the kind of reactions why our bureaucracy develops a Chalta Hai attitude.

Let's get some facts straight:
  1. The said shades are reasonably close to the shade used by our defence forces
  2. The STA has the statutory powers to interpret the MVA and implement the same
  3. Ostensibly, the said rule has been overlooked/not implemented so far

Now, we have someone, in what's arguably one of the most lethargic departments, who's fastidious enough to do his/her duty and block further registration until clarification. And, our response is to call them a dim-wit? How can we expect the same officer to be strict about something the next time?

Also, please observe the note about owners having to repaint the cars is pure conjuncture of the author of the news article. Should the MORTH issue a G.O. to prohibit such shades of green in the future, I fully expect them to provide remedies to existing owners.

In this instance, the authorities had done the right thing but had to backtrack due to public backlash.

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 10th April 2024 at 12:58.
buzzy_boy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 13:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why is it only TN? why cant the rule be applied as a blanket rule all over india. What about BH cars?
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 13:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

The matte olive green shades in some of the new Hyundai/Kia models look delicious and also tantalisingly close to a military vehicle livery. The intent behind the shade is also the street cred aspiration of a military vehicle so there is no question of unintended consequence here IMHO.

But I am stumped as to how the type approval process let this slip. Absolutely no inconvenience should be directed at the customers who registered or are registering the cars, any ruling should only be from this point forward
GeeTee TSI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 14:19   #20
BHPian

Here is the link to the post where my Nissan Micra was pictured during its delivery in 2013. Its colour shade is called Olive Green. I still have it today.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...ml#post3275771 (Which Automatic Hatch?)
Old 10th April 2024, 18:16   #21
BHPian

I don't know what the brilliant folks at Kia did to miff the TN government. But this sounds to me like a political vendetta. Maybe Kia did not agree to setup a plant in TN. Or maybe they did not buy enough electoral bonds to satisfy the governments needs.
true_sedan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 21:08   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't we have similar dark green shades in Jeep Compass/Meridian and Mahindra ScorpioN besides Hyundai/Kia? Scorpios are also supplied to military so the color overlap between civilian and military vehicles could be even more.problematic.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 21:36   #23
BHPian

So, how did the RTOs ignorantly approve temporary or permanent registrations for vehicles in that color?

If they want to invoke the law, the RTOs should also be held responsible for negligence and penalized as per law.
silver-stand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 01:17   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
Guys, relax. TN Transport department has already released another press release last month end taking their earlier notice back. I had seen that. Will find it and post it. Registrations are happening as usual.
Yes, even the article referred to by the OP says that they have been verbally told later to start registering the color. That's as good as withdrawal of the memo that withheld the registration.

The bone of contention here is that the babus in the state govt alluded to the fact that MORTH doesn't clarify things in time and in writing which can be problematic for the car owners. Months later if they suddenly respond and uphold the ban on the color then the existing owners will be forced to repaint their cars. And that's what has got everyone's (collective) goats here, so to say.

I have a different take here. Some overzealous babus in the MV dept probably overplayed their hand. MORTH obviously won't officially respond to something that negates a written rule as long as it exists but I'm sure someone would have got an earful on the matter for digging up an archaic section of the rulebook which is universally ignored since ages. Ultimately the sullen guys while withdrawing it had to put in a face saver. This repainting bit was exactly that, a rhetoric without any real significance.

You see, it's not possible to force people to repaint a car after they have registered it officially. They will need to issue prominent press releases, cancel the existing registration that bears the olive green color, deal with the nightmare of litigations on such whimsical requirements.... In short it will be a logistical and administrative nightmare that will cost a lot of money to the exchequer.

And then there is the interesting question of dealing with the legal matter of defining what qualifies as olive green. Is there a universal, constituent color code that defines the words olive green? Where is it defined? Does the MV act mentions anything on it? If not then it's a mere guideline open to interpretation but not an enforceable order. Car companies will say they don't understand what's olive green, similarly ARAI and any other competent authority will also say the same besides protesting that they don't have the equipments needed to test a paint against a specific color code if the manufacturer decides to call it by another name. Plus historically how has this issue been dealt with? You see everything points to a potentially disastrous outcome for the govt if it goes to the court.

In short, put a snoozer on this one. That repainting bit was a poor case of sour grapes by some Babu, and it's not worth more than a page of this thread IMHO.

Last edited by Zappo : 11th April 2024 at 01:25.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 15:07   #25
BHPian

This beaurocratic attitude only reminds me of the rule in Oman where commoners being banned wearing army camouflage pants or t shirts or anything or that sort. Not many knew this rule exists in Oman and when I see tourists wearing these camo in Muscat Airport I go

Last edited by sgmuser : 11th April 2024 at 15:10. Reason: Typo
Old 11th April 2024, 15:57   #26
BHPian

Finally could find the copy. This issue was there during March second and third weeks where registration of Green color vehicles across all manufacturers including Hyundai, Kia, Tata, Jeep had been halted. By 4th week the following notice was issued by TN Transport department and post that I have not seen a single registration getting stopped. Nor did I hear about any issues of registered cars asking to be repainted. But the department was well within their rights to hold registration and get a clarification from MoRTH. I understand FADA played a role in getting the issue resolved.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamil Nadu stops registrations for olive green cars-morth-withdrawal-letter.jpg  

vshankarhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 15:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Point is, weren't these manufacturers breaking the rules by painting the car with this colour despite being aware that it is not be sold to and registered by the public?
What's funny is all state run RTO's were happily getting these cars registered too. I guess everyone was clueless
John316_WRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 15:26   #28
BHPian

I have seen a lot of Royal enfield bikes being repainted to Olive green color and no one care. Wonder how that's going to be handled?
Old 12th April 2024, 16:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
As for repainting the cars, the onus should be on the manufacturers since they broke the rules.
If the manufacturers initially received permission to use those colors after an inspection by a government department, then it's time to also hold those government departments accountable.
Caffeinated_Owl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2024, 22:42   #30
BHPian

Tamil Nadu stops registrations for olive green cars-3x0colors.jpg

The new Mahindra 3xO also has a dark green shade. I wonder if this will also have a problem.
vvs29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks