Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2024, 19:53   #76

Re: Scoop! Citroen Basalt SUV Coupe spotted testing in Chennai

This new teaser shows interior design, ACC confirm in top model.
SacManBet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 21:19   #77
BHPian

Whoever thought those flap type handles from the 90s is a great idea to be implemented in 2024 deserves an award!

They look so awkward and downright cheap and robs the look of the otherwise good looking car.
Simha.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 21:31   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simha.k View Post
Whoever thought those flap type handles from the 90s is a great idea to be implemented in 2024 deserves an award!

They look so awkward and downright cheap and robs the look of the otherwise good looking car.
And cheap they must be. That cheap, that Citroen is still sticking with them. When I read that they have delayed the Basalt's launch to upgrade it's feature list, I thought these ones will be the first to go. It was the most criticised element in the C3 and the C3 Aircross. I am surprised that they have chosen to retain them.
ashutoshb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 13:41   #79
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Lets not forget the BMW M5 has flap door handles, these factors do not determine the product's merit.
mally2 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 14:09   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
Lets not forget the BMW M5 has flap door handles, these factors do not determine the product's merit.
Let's not also forget that BMW is a luxury brand that has everything going for it - features, looks, performance etc. which allows them to get away with flap type door handles (in the name of aerodynamics?).

Citreon does not have the brand appeal to pull these flap type handles off. Going off of their C3 hatchback & C3 aircross interiors and feature set, you'd think that they would do everything to actually sell these minimalistic tangible features to the customers eyes and cut corners in hidden areas (*cough* Koreans *cough*). It's not like they've set the safety charts on fire either.

Why give the critics another stick to beat you with, over such an irrelevant feature?

Just my two cents on this because I have seen this comment repeated lots of time since the M5 got showcased.
Doonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 14:16   #81
BHPian

My humble opinion is that these door handle-related complaints are all due to being fed such opinions by journalists that flap-type ones are cheap (:

We're seeing more expensive cars return to flap-type handles for aerodynamics (as someone has posted above). How long will it be before they start criticising pull-type handles for the same reason?

Let's focus on overall quality, usability, dynamics, and safety. Such design choices do not matter at all. It still looks alright to me.
slango97 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 14:51   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacManBet View Post
https://Youtu.be/Nw8DlmzlYeg?si=60yxuqJGBXq6oLnq

I think this may come with auto at launch. Because at 0:07 in the clip, at the bottom right the top of the gear lever looks like it is an automatic like the C3 Aircross.
It's like blink and you miss it. Eagle eyed viewers and BHP-ians can spot it.
Old 22nd July 2024, 15:21   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slango97 View Post
My humble opinion is that these door handle-related complaints are all due to being fed such opinions by journalists that flap-type ones are cheap (:
Off-topic post:

Thanks for saying it! I feel it is a perception that has been created over the years. You read 'flappy doors are cheap' a thousand times and the brain starts accepting it.

The door handles should go with the car's overall design, flappy or any other design doesn't matter. What matters is whether they 'feel' cheap.

I absolutely hated the pull-type door handles on my Brio, looked really bad
like some sturdy manhole cover handles !

The car would have done well without those big holes under the pull-type handles.
Scoop! Citroen Basalt SUV Coupe spotted testing in Chennai-brio.jpg

Scoop! Citroen Basalt SUV Coupe spotted testing in Chennai-manhole.jpg
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 15:49   #84
BHPian

Let me break this bubble! The handles we are seeing on Basalt are plain old cheap/cost effective flap type and not the 'flush ones' like in the M5. Its the same cheap flap type like in my Thar, or in cars like Celerio, Alto, etc. It has nothing to do with aerodynamics as it juts out of the body creating drag. The ones on new BMWs are actually recessed in the car's body and dosen't obstruct the air flow at all. Now thats the one for 'aerodynamics'. I know how cheap flap type door handles feel in my Thar (I am amazed how a 20l SUV still gets away with such cost cuttings) compared to the pull type premium feeling ones in my Elantra. There is a reason why budget cars in India and even abroad (Dacias, etc) get flap type handles.

Now to break the myth of Citroen using these handles as a design feature- they are doing it for cost cutting here while in abroad they are using premium pull types. Sharing pics of international C3 using pull type ones opposed to the Indian versions
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Citroen Basalt SUV Coupe spotted testing in Chennai-screenshot-20240722-3.44.50-pm.png  

Scoop! Citroen Basalt SUV Coupe spotted testing in Chennai-screenshot-20240722-3.44.59-pm.png  

Scoop! Citroen Basalt SUV Coupe spotted testing in Chennai-screenshot-20240722-3.45.12-pm.png  

Attached Images

AMG1 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 21:08   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Let me break this bubble! The handles we are seeing on Basalt are plain old cheap/cost effective flap type and not the 'flush ones' like in the M5. Its the same cheap flap type like in my Thar, or in cars like Celerio, Alto, etc. It has nothing to do with aerodynamics as it juts out of the body creating drag. The ones on new BMWs are actually recessed in the car's body and dosen't obstruct the air flow at all. Now thats the one for 'aerodynamics'. I know how cheap flap type door handles feel in my Thar (I am amazed how a 20l SUV still gets away with such cost cuttings) compared to the pull type premium feeling ones in my Elantra. There is a reason why budget cars in India and even abroad (Dacias, etc) get flap type handles.

Now to break the myth of Citroen using these handles as a design feature- they are doing it for cost cutting here while in abroad they are using premium pull types. Sharing pics of international C3 using pull type ones opposed to the Indian versions

Citroen India is a joke. I cannot understand how they failed to analyse the Indian market. The car looks beautiful except for those door handles. I don't know what Citroen is going after. On one hand their European arm has such delicious products on offer and on the other hand we have their Indian arm dumping off such junk in our market. Guess these guys are inspired by Datsun and if that is the case, I would not be surprised if they disappear from our market after 4-5 years.

On another note, I signed up for the Basalt on their website. I don't know to what use it will be, but I'm curious if I would get a call back after the launch.
Old 23rd July 2024, 00:25   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacManBet View Post
While the competition has moved onto every imaginable feature available this side of 1cr including ADAS, etc. Citroen is "teasing" Automatic Climate Control - the sheer audacity
r0nit7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks