Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2024, 12:29   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Popular YouTubers destroying good cars | A concerning trend

As a child, spurred by watching car chases, demolition derbies etc., I used to be curious about setting my toy cars on fire, dropping them from buildings etc. Even burying them although I could not find some of them.

These youtubers are have merely hit on our desire for destructive curiosity

How many of you enjoyed Top Gears Toyota Hilux test to destruction!
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 12:54   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Anything for eyeballs & entertainment. And why just YouTubers? The biggest car show of its time frequently destroyed cars:

Just 1 got away, the undestroyable Hilux:
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 13:44   #18
BHPian

I think it's something similar to rage rooms, where people can vent their frustration by breaking or smashing objects... basically, expressing anger in a safe and controlled environment, which is thought to reduce or defuse pent-up emotions and relieve stress. In these cases, not actually doing it themselves but gaining satisfaction at watching these vehicles getting pummelled into oblivion.

Popular content creators have access to monetization features such as advertising, fan funding, and merchandise sales and simply cater to the demand for such theatrics which in turn generate revenue for them. The vehicles are just tools of their trade.
arnieshwartz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 15:01   #19
BHPian

I have seen a million such videos in You tube. At the end, its another level of creative money making strategy. Given the way these platforms work, its up to individuals to apply the common sense and choose what is good to be consumed and reject the rest.
  • Its not just about cars.
  • There are tons of videos of people making large quantities of food - not sure what happens to all the food they cook!
  • Just search 'durability test' - you will see all sorts of things getting torn apart - from mobile phones to televisions to cars to whatever - you name it, there is a video on it. JerryRigEverything has some 8 million folks behind him.
  • As GTO mentioned, Top-gear made it a good business model long ago.
  • We will see even more exotic items in future for sure
dileepcm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 15:20   #20
BHPian

Now didn't we increase the views of that channel and content by posting about them in here. The choice is still in our hand, we decide whether to see these kind of videos or not.

There are always going to be dumb things going to be done by dumb people, it's our choice to choose whether to waste our time (the only valuable thing in the whole world). Now I have wasted some valuable time writing a post about this dumb video

Last edited by Thyag : 29th March 2024 at 15:25.
Thyag is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 15:20   #21

Dear TBHPians, This is my first time writing here, so wish me luck!
Anyway, no offense, but MotorDev, the comment said that that the YouTuber would have to spend 24 hours in a Porsche, and not to destroy it.
Rapid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 15:54   #22
BHPian

You should see the destructions by a youtuber called 'whistlindiesel'. He burnt down a new f8 tributo after driving it erratically. He tested the durability of G wagon by asking Scotish strongman Eddie Hall to slam the doors of it till the window panes cracked. He took the IFS stock g wagon through the hells gate in Hell's revenge in MOAB, Utah. All this crazy feats garnered millions and millions of views. I'm not gonna lie, they were fun to watch.
Earthroamer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 16:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid View Post
Anyway, no offence, but MotorDev, the comment said that the YouTuber would have to spend 24 hours in a Porsche, and not destroy it.
Sorry, I got the comment wrong, but it's worrying how many other comments are cheering on this kind of thing. Anyway, thanks for catching that !

Last edited by MotorDev : 29th March 2024 at 16:17.
Old 29th March 2024, 16:22   #24
BHPian

Well the BMW in the first video would have been scrapped anyway so the car
is not wasted by destroying but yes it could have been atleast a parts car and the way these guys used the chemicals with negligence in other videos these type of channels are surely a concern.

Most interesting bit is Mr.Crazy xyz is an IITian and his videos would surely embarass his batchmates.
Chisels121 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 17:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Every year thousands of working, good condition cars are de-registered in NCR region simply for being 10 years old and either scrapped or left to rot in the name of environmental concerns. This is despite it being proven multiple times that reducing and reusing is way better for the environment. This is simply an excuse to sell more cars.

A modern car is engineered to last way more than 10 years. Why should I care about some youtubers destroying some old BMW when every day, way better cars are being forced out of their loving owners' hands in the name of some bribery driven farce to drive up corporate profits?
Cresterk is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 18:06   #26
BHPian

The quote by joker (Heath Ledger - Darkknight) comes to my mind "It's Not About Money. It's About Sending A Message. Everything Burns!". while he sets fire to a pile of cash and the goon cries in awe. Such are the jokers everywhere.

It is his half said the joker as well.
ShivrajG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 18:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

This thread is one of the top 3 reasons why normal humans want to become social media influencers.

Their moment of fame.

Err, and of course earn a lot while we gossip about why & whats of it.
svsantosh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 18:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post
YouTuber who destroyed a perfectly fine Skoda Superb!
https://Youtu.be/uAn1Z5WPywk?t=470
What a bunch of morons! And that guy who kept his leg on dashboard at 7:50. Wish the airbags have deployed.

I'm just waiting for the day when all this content becomes obsolete. However, if you think that those would be better days, think hard!
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 19:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post
In a country where cars are regarded as status symbols, individuals like these YouTubers are simply destroying good cars for no reason.
It's absolutely not for no reason!

1. Revenue - All YouTubers want to get popular - they'll keep creating content to gather more views - which gets translated to more revenue, this more income!

2. Fame - the more famous they get, the more paid promotions and college event invitations they get.

3. They do it cos they can - like many members have already opined, these are things which a lot of people have done in their heads! These guys got opportunities to do it in the real world and they grabbed them by the neck!

Quote:
It's truly disheartening, and what's even more shocking is their fan following (30 million subscribers) and views. These channels are influencing people in a very negative way.
YouTube fan following is fortunately or unfortunately a very real phenomenon globally. Availability of dirt cheap smartphones and almost free internet have created the audience for these content creators. You can't blame them influencers when there are millions of them influencees waiting to get influenced!

Quote:
I also found out that one of the above YouTubers is an IITian ![/b]
Perfect examples that graduates from any institute don't deserve a pedestal by default.

Note to OP!
By opening this thread, I hope your intention was to spread awareness against YouTubers you thought were irrational & irresponsible. However, what you've achieved is to get their channels and videos tagged here in this discussion and this get them more views and popularity!!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 19:22   #30
BHPian

Let's be straight forward. It's their money , let them do whatever they want. But we as members of a respected automotive forum, should not even post these kind of content. By posting them, we're giving them more viewership. And what can you say, when TopGear themselves immersed the Hilux in sea water, dropped it from the top of a building? We all enjoyed that video, because it's from TopGear. These youtubers need not be given any more viewership or attention,by discussing them about here. For the people who are feeling sad after watching the videos, I have an advice. Go to your steed, clean it ,or take it for a drive. And besides be proud to know that you take care of your vehicle the best possible way you can. That should clear your guilt
Mitadru is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks