Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2024, 15:11   #1
BANNED

New car number changed after registration

@Mods, Kindly move to appropriate Thread if anything available. I searched for it and could not able to find the thread related to this.

As we all know while buying a new vehicle some people will opt for a number either in running series (next 1000 numbers) or any thing beyond that too by paying to Government.

My friend too booked a car (TATA Punch EV) and opted for fancy number in the next 1000 numbers.
He went with the RTO broker directly and booked a number by paying via PariVahaan. But the receipt was not received and informed to the Car dealer about the same as while moving the papers to RTO, it can be informed where they will process separately after checking the system with the transaction details.

Here TATA showroom normally bring the car to the RTO office for registration and there will be a separate broker from RTO side who does for that particular showroom.
And my friend clearly informed both the Sales advisor and the driver who bringing the car, that we booked for fancy number but the receipt was not received and shared the payment transaction.

But the broker moved the file for normal registration and sequentially system generated a number for his car. After some time this was informed to my friend and he was shocked on hearing this as he already paid for that number. He was checking with dealer side why it was not informed to their side RTO broker and there was a huge communication gap. Now my friend was clearly saying that he need the number which he booked and not the sequential number which was generated.

But sales executive, RTO brokers and even our RTO clearly stated that this cant be changed as the vehicle is already registered. He was not interested to take the delivery with the allotted number and very furious when he heard that amount he paid for the number also will not be given back.
He went directly to RTO office and met the RTO and informed about this whole ordeal. RTO said it was not informed to him from Dealer side and the number cant be changed now. My friend was completely shattered and felt very stressed on hearing this.

One of our relative knows a RTO officer in Coimbatore Central and told about this entire circus. He clearly understood the things and calmly told that there is an option to change the number even after it got assigned. Everyone of us was very happy on hearing this as we see some light to this darkness.

Adding to this he called the Unit office RTO and helped with the steps on how to perform it in the system and also informed this steps can be only done until the Card is generated. It may take take 2 to 3 days for generating the card and once its done then nobody can change the number.

So finally he got the same number which he paid for and it was a very happy evening after all the issues were sorted out.

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 18th March 2024 at 15:15.
dmaheshkumar is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 15:26   #2
BHPian

re: New car number changed after registration

Thank you for your post. I was also not aware that number can be changed after registration (till card is created).
Wonder if this information is available in public domain?

Last edited by It's Magic : 18th March 2024 at 15:30. Reason: Typo
It's Magic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 16:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: New car number changed after registration

It was a sort of nightmare for your friend. Not receiving a receipt even after making payment for the fancy number was the causative factor due to which the misunderstanding happened and communication gap got created. Had there been a receipt, providing its copy to the dealer and his RTO broker would have not created the issue. But it seems that even after informing the SA and the dealer they had failed to act and help your friend.

And it's only because you had a relative who knew an RTO officer, the nightmare of your friend had an happy ending. Wishing you happy driving with your new car.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th March 2024 at 16:10.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 11:59   #4
BHPian

Re: New car number changed after registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaheshkumar View Post
One of our relative knows a RTO officer in Coimbatore Central and told about this entire circus. He clearly understood the things and calmly told that there is an option to change the number even after it got assigned.Adding to this he called the Unit office RTO and helped with the steps on how to perform it in the system and also informed this steps can be only done until the Card is generated. It may take take 2 to 3 days for generating the card and once its done then nobody can change the number.

So finally he got the same number which he paid for and it was a very happy evening after all the issues were sorted out.
It's unfortunate to observe that everything in government seems to require some form of influence or connections to be resolved. For an average person, it often means enduring regret and financial loss in this case.

I'm glad it's resolved. If not, I can't imagine how your friend would feel driving the car with finanical loss or regrets right from the registration day.
raptor_diwan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 13:37   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Magic View Post
Thank you for your post. I was also not aware that number can be changed after registration (till card is created).
Not sure it was available. Till this incident I am not aware of this option.

Quote:
anjan_c2007
It was a sort of nightmare for your friend. Not receiving a receipt even after making payment for the fancy number was the causative factor due to which the misunderstanding happened and communication gap got created. Had there been a receipt, providing its copy to the dealer and his RTO broker would have not created the issue. But it seems that even after informing the SA and the dealer they had failed to act and help your friend.

And it's only because you had a relative who knew an RTO officer, the nightmare of your friend had an happy ending. Wishing you happy driving with your new car.
Really my friend was lucky that day. By Coincidence my relative was in town and he was on his way to meet some of his friends and saw my friend near RTO office.
RTO Dealers were saying work pressure and we missed the information.

Quote:
raptor_diwan
I'm glad it's resolved. If not, I can't imagine how your friend would feel driving the car with financial loss or regrets right from the registration day.
New car delivery was not as expected really. Even though it ended good, the entire ordeal and mental torture was something very tough to handle.

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th April 2024 at 06:34. Reason: Minor typo correction
dmaheshkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 17:16   #6
BANNED

Things like this is why I avoid such things. Number plate, fancy or not is something we wouldn't bother about after few days of having car. I find it better to care about what we focus on while driving a car.
Old 28th April 2024, 00:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaheshkumar View Post
Adding to this he called the Unit office RTO and helped with the steps on how to perform it in the system and also informed this steps can be only done until the Card is generated. It may take take 2 to 3 days for generating the card and once its done then nobody can change the number
Could you please post the steps on this forum ? It would be beneficial for the other members as well as the visitors of the forum . And can this process be done by a common man without RTO connections?
Mitadru is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2024, 14:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Magic View Post
Anything is possible if you have connections to the people with power. However the unit RTO initially denied such an option and that would have been the end of it for the general public, whether the information is out there or not.

The deadline of mere 2-3 days makes this especially difficult for most.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks