Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would want to get your vehicle re- registered to TG. Please take the poll.
Yes will do so. 8 8.42%
Maybe 0 0%
Depends on if its made mandatory 50 52.63%
No Will not 37 38.95%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2024, 21:24   #1
BHPian

From AP to TS to TG plates | New vehicles sold in Telangana will bear TG plates (instead of TS)

Hi All

Hope you all are fine. This is my third or fourth thread in teambhp. Request Moderators to approve the same and move this from the assembly line.

I came across a recent gazetted notification that mentioned that all new vehicles that are sold in the state of Telangana will bear a registration number of TG going forward instead of TS, which used to be used by the earlier government.

From my memories of staying in the state for almost 20+ years, initially, when the Vehicles used to be registered as AP and the agitation started for a separate state, Many people started using TG in their vehicles even when it was not approved as a way to depict the support for a separate state.

Eventually, when the state of Telangana was formed, as against everyone's expectation the government issued the registration numbers starting with TS which expanded to Telangana State.

While I do not intend to make this a political discussion as it's against the rules of the forum. My intention in creating this thread is just a friendly discussion on the impacts of the same on all of us, especially in terms of action that we will be required to take to register and re-register. while it is voluntary at the moment if it becomes mandatory what will be the impact?

let us discuss the same in terms of pros and cons for:
1. The government authorities.
2. The vehicle owners with AP registration
3. The vehicle owners with TS Registration
4. The new vehicle owners and its impact on them.
5. The old vehicle owners who are planning to get their registration extended.
6. The tax structure which will be borne by the consumer.

Last but not least a request for people who have already changed the registration of their vehicles once from AP to TS and their experience regarding the same and if you would want to get your vehicle re- registered to TG. Please take the poll.

The source for the document is mentioned as under :
1. an article submitted in hindu newspaper :
https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le67945989.ece

2. article in Times of India
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../108505776.cms

3. Article in Deccan Chronicle
https://www.deccanchronicle.com/tela...-number-plates

Looking forward to exploring this topic to learn more. Once again Thanks to Teambhp for providing us with a medium to do the same.

Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 15th March 2024 at 21:29. Reason: Adding poll
sushil_n79 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 22:39   #2
BHPian

re: From AP to TS to TG plates | New vehicles sold in Telangana will bear TG plates (instead of TS)

Voted "depends on if it's made mandatory."

Both our cars currently have TS plates. One's registration is valid until 2036 which is when it will turn 15. The other's is valid until 2026, since the car in question is 17 years old (we got it re-registered in Telangana). Unless the new TG plate is explicitly mandated for existing vehicles, I see no reason to switch. I guess we'll find out if we decide to extend the registration in 2026.

However, as of now, the TG abbreviation is only going to be implemented for new vehicles sold from today (March 15, 2024) onwards. So, just like you can use a valid AP registration without issue in Telangana today, owners who already have TS plates should not face any issues.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 15th March 2024 at 22:42.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 23:41   #3
BHPian

re: From AP to TS to TG plates | New vehicles sold in Telangana will bear TG plates (instead of TS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
Hi All

I came across a recent gazetted notification that mentioned that all new vehicles that are sold in the state of Telangana will bear a registration number of TG going forward instead of TS, which used to be used by the earlier government.

From my memories of staying in the state for almost 20+ years, initially, when the Vehicles used to be registered as AP and the agitation started for a separate state, Many people started using TG in their vehicles even when it was not approved as a way to depict the support for a separate state.
I voted for third option, will change if mandatory.

Even I was a staunch supporter of Telangana state and I too used TG for my Skoda Octavia as a sign of my support. I always was for TG and I was disappointed once it was announced that the TRS government wanted to go with TS as it depicts their party as well as some astrological reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
While I do not intend to make this a political discussion as it's against the rules of the forum. My intention in creating this thread is just a friendly discussion on the impacts of the same on all of us, especially in terms of action that we will be required to take to register and re-register. while it is voluntary at the moment if it becomes mandatory what will be the impact?
The government has announced that TG will not be only be retrospective and will be applicable to newly registered vehicles. As AP continues for pre-june 2014 vehicles, similarly TS will continue to co-exist.

If government makes it mandatory, then it will be done at government expenditure and the excercise will cost the government huge. The current government cannot spend so much on reissuing RC Cards, Licence plates and online data which is a tough task. I am willing for the change if the government mandates.

I had a doubt about how will they start the series. If they will continue along existing TS series or start afresh from TG 00 A 0000. But they plan to continue the existing series.

So it is not an issue to ponder upon and vehicles with AP & TS will slowly fade away in the coming age.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 15th March 2024 at 23:46.
DRPSREDDY is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 12:05   #4
BHPian

Re: From AP to TS to TG plates | New vehicles sold in Telangana will bear TG plates (instead of TS)

I am fine with anything as long as it is part of a new purchase or renewal of fitness certificate. If they plan to change all AP and TS registered vehicles to TG, then it doesn't make any sense. Never heard of any other states in the country asking for a new series. (I could be wrong here.) Hyderabad alone has 5 RTO offices. So doesn't look like we will run out of numbers soon. Instead of TG they should have explored more options in expanding the existing TS series.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 16:47   #5
BHPian

Re: From AP to TS to TG plates | New vehicles sold in Telangana will bear TG plates (instead of TS)

2 of our vehicles have AP plates and two of them have TS plates. The AP plate vehicle's RC will expire in 2025 and 2026 respectively, so am curious about what will appear on the RC card post registration renewal. For a common citizen, I feel it should make absolutely no difference.
saikishor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 17:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

As an outsider, I must say that it will be extremely unfair if people are forced to change existing number plates and get new ones.

It is one thing that all newly registered vehicles will get TG number. Nothing wrong with that. But you can’t, or shouldn’t compel people to go through the trouble and expense of getting new number plates simply because some babus had a change of heart.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 18:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
2 of our vehicles have AP plates and two of them have TS plates. The AP plate vehicle's RC will expire in 2025 and 2026 respectively, so am curious about what will appear on the RC card post registration renewal. For a common citizen, I feel it should make absolutely no difference.
If the vehicle is from within the current Telangana state then you will retain the same number. But if you have changed your address before the state division or if the vehicle is transferred from another RTA that is now a part of AP, then you will be allotted a new TG number.

I have a question. I have a Mahindra XUV500 with UP14, Ghaziabad Uttar Pradesh registeration. Please inform me if the registration is a part of NCR of is UP. Because I need to transfer it to Telangana and want to find out if it is affected by the 10 year rule.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 17th March 2024 at 18:15.
Old 17th March 2024, 18:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely unnecessary expenditure of Government machinery - both manpower wise and financially.

Obviously, a politically driven agenda. As we're not into political discussions on the forum, I'm just registering my displeasure and moving on.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 18:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
If the vehicle is from within the current Telangana state then you will retain the same number. But if you have changed your address before the state division or if the vehicle is transferred from another RTA that is now a part of AP, then you will be allotted a new TG number.
Both of our AP vehicles were registered under AP28 which was Rangareddy back then. One vehicle even had a choice number. Our address has changed but it still falls under Rangareddy district. Alloting a new number in my case would be totally unfair, as I would lose the choice number that my family paid for originally.
saikishor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 19:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Both of our AP vehicles were registered under AP28 which was Rangareddy back then. One vehicle even had a choice number. Our address has changed but it still falls under Rangareddy district. Alloting a new number in my case would be totally unfair, as I would lose the choice number that my family paid for originally.
If it is AP28, Ranga Reddy district, then there will be no change and will use the current number. But previously if a car was transferred from other districts under united State of AP, for example, if the car was registered in Guntur with AP05, if transferred to any other RTO didn't need a change in the series or district code. But now, after division of state will necessiate a change of state series to TG and adopt the district code too. This is for all cars that have been previously transferred from other current AP state RTOs that carried respective AP codes.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 17th March 2024 at 19:23.
DRPSREDDY is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 19:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
I have a question. I have a Mahindra XUV500 with UP14, Ghaziabad Uttar Pradesh registeration. Please inform me if the registration is a part of NCR of is UP. Because I need to transfer it to Telangana and want to find out if it is affected by the 10 year rule.
To answer this: yes, you will be affected by the rule. Ghaziabad is part of NCR. You'll have to get an NOC (no objection certificate) from the Ghaziabad RTO in order to re register in Telangana.

We had to do the same to get our UP16 registered car re registered in Telangana.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 08:59   #12
BHPian

Nothing more than a political stunt. When they cannot get any useful policy, correct long term wrongs and want people to distract from what they are doing they will get this stupid, burden to exchequer schemes.
I liken it to the fancy colorful currency notes the central govt got - rather the RBI got after demonetization.
Every RBI Governer wants to see his signature on every note.
When one particular party came to power in new state of Telangana in 2013 or 2014 they painted the state pink.
What is the use of it?
Just spending public money.
Despite all this and the lakhs of cameras to trace vehicles still big shot politicians kids will be missed in case they are on look out for hit and run.
RunGaDa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 09:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

So there are now three registration running in Telangana.

AP, TS and TG? Add the pre-1989 AXX-XXXX number series?

So as members have already mentioned, the then unofficial TG series was not selected eventhough it was popular and they went for the TS series. Always amused with the TS series as why would they allot a letter to 'S'tate instead of the state name.

The sheer waste in this whole exercise just because of some political/bureaucratic decisions.
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 11:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Voted a No. One it cannot be made mandatory right away. Am sure there will be a PIL filed, I will wait for the judgment. And two, each party cannot make their own rules regarding such things. To get a new number plate in Telangana itself is a task and to change it if made mandatory will definitely have a huge process. It should have been TG right from day 1. I am not sure what dream KCR was in when he took the decision to have it as TS.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 12:03   #15
BHPian

Voted "if made mandatory". Like other BHP'ians, agree on wasted resources and additional confusion. Politically motivated changes are bad for economy and encourage corruption. Due to the ambiguity related to such decisions, I can see folks getting scammed by authorities and agents.
Prashant_BHP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks