Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is a better buy overall (bang for the buck)? Creta/Seltos top end or entry level Germans?
Rs.25L mainstream cars (Eg: Creta/Seltos etc) 148 42.53%
Entry level German luxury vehicles 36 10.34%
Cannot be compared. 164 47.13%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2024, 12:29   #61

Re: Hyundai Creta Facelift Vs Entry German SUVs

I recently purchased the All new Verna. But the car I was hunting for was a pre owned Octavia. The moment I pressed the accelerator of an Octavia in a TD, I had decided that its going to be my next car. Did a lot of searches in every other online portal like carwale, cars24, spinny, olx, FB Marketplace and multiple visits to pre-owned car outlets.

I had scheduled one such TD in Spinny for an Octavia 1.8 TSI. I also saw a new Verna parked, with less than 10k on the odo. I wanted to see how these two compare against each other, as the Octavia is having 180 PS and Verna is rated at 160 PS. After driving the cars back-to-back, I was convinced that the Octavia is better. :-D

But the Verna was not bad, in fact it punches above its weight, given the price. In the end I decided to take home a new car, and it is the All the Verna. I will try to write a detailed review of the Verna and the reasons for choosing the Verna over other sedans in the same class.

It's been just over 5000 kms in the last 5 months. All I can say is, I am happy with the decision that I made. The Octavia is not a German sedan, but often it is one of the choices for those who are looking at the German sedans.
turbodct is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 12:54   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Going by this logic, there is no need for a Landcruiser when the Fortuner can manage most of the things. Similar why buy the A6 or A8? The Superb can do it all.

If this thread mentioned the likes of Tiguan or Kodiaq against the entry level German trio then it would have definitely made some sense. But a Creta? Sorry, but it doesn't even come close. The handling, build quality, power delivery & the ride quality is at a different level altogether. Heck even the Kushaq or Taigun are better. And the lack of QC and typical Hyundai niggles pose a bigger problem.
Honestly, the realization that a Creta's pricing is near / has overlaps with entry German luxury cars (no matter how small or preowned) - means I'll probably need to see a shrink for some months now.

I think while fairly logical as a hypothetical thought, the overall idea is rather "communiistic" if one takes a 1 step zoomed out view. And it eventually can be ground further finer to conclude that all we need are sub4m cars (or just the Creta / Seltos rather), and everything else, doesn't really need to exist.

I do not aspire to own a German luxury car, nor will I ever buy one, its guaranteed. But I still love them far more than the Creta and if I had the money, I'd buy one of those over the Creta any day and twice on a no-Moon night. On a lighter note, I wonder how much of that is down to the rather irritating Creta drivers on the roads out there (no offence, I'm sure none of them are TBHP member Creta owners).

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th March 2024 at 12:58.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 13:31   #63
BHPian

A luxury brand consumer is not looking for bang for buck products, be it car or any other product. The whole premiumization concept is based on this fact.

So the whole theory of Creta/Seltos challenging pre owned trinity cars is hypothetical at best. All said and done, EVs can challenge the existing pyramid and it will be fun to see innovation of the pole leaders in this space.

Last edited by headbanger : 15th March 2024 at 13:36.
Old 15th March 2024, 13:59   #64

I would say they cannot be compared.

While mainstream cars have come a long way, I feel that entry-level German cars cater to a different kind of driver and need.

My family owns a top-of-the-line Kia Carens 1.4 turbo and it offers phenomenal value for money but cannot be compared to an Audi Q3 or a BMW X1
Old 15th March 2024, 14:01   #65
BANNED

Voted for "can't be compared." Can't understand this Creta obsession of this car's lovers. I don't see this kind of obsession with other brands or even their own stable-mate lovers of Verna, i20 or Venue owners. What kinda comparison is this? Sure, it's a good car. But nothing earth-shattering. Forget Germans, I wouldn't even pick these over XUV700 or Harrier. If I can't afford XUV/Harrier, I would rather settle for Fronx, Nexon or even their own Venue or Sonet and save a few lakhs. Wouldn't mind sacrificing maybe about 2 inches of legroom. Also, if I have to buy these at gun-point, I will pick handsome looking Seltos any day over Creta.
pgsagar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 14:16   #66
BHPian

Cannot vote. But would’ve voted Cannot compare. I have a Kia Carens top end (6 seater - Captain seats) and a preowned Audi A3 Diesel. The Kia has some 100 ambient colours, ventilated seats, air purifier, etc. My A3 does not even have apple car play. But i would choose the A3 anyday with its insane torque, driving dynamics - Feels planted at high triple digits and the brakes are simply amazing. Then theres the build quality - Once you go German, you can never go back. Just the thud from closing the doors feels reassuring. And i would much rather prefer the Jet engine like AC vents and interiors on the A3 with physicals buttons than the full screen digital display on the Carens.

Hyundai Creta Facelift Vs Entry German SUVs-img_5383.jpeg

It’s my personal preference - Entry level Preowned German anyday.

Last edited by Ashwintona675 : 15th March 2024 at 14:30. Reason: Photo added
Ashwintona675 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 14:41   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Okay but what about the smaller Q3? What is it about the Q3 that it is 10L more expensive than the Kodiaq?

I would say a 10L premium is justifiable for the Q5 for all the things you said but the Q3? Really?
Those who can afford luxury can appreciate the value of a luxury offering.

For the rest, it would be a lifetime of sour grapes.

Last edited by GoBlue : 15th March 2024 at 14:43.
GoBlue is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 15:29   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Those who can afford luxury can appreciate the value of a luxury offering.

For the rest, it would be a lifetime of sour grapes.
With respect, people who can "afford luxury" are probably arguing over in the S Class or X7 thread
Cresterk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 20:20   #69
BHPian

As someone who bought a new Q3 Sportback, I have to surprisingly agree with you. Currently the Q3 is about 15L more expensive then a VW Tiguan (otr). I am of the view that the interior quality, deisgn and brand value of Audi combined, command an extra 5-7 lakh maybe, but not 15. Although as another BHPian in this thread said, prospective buyers of entry-level Germans are not really looking for that.

As someone who's purchased a new 'entry-level' German (Q3 Sportback), I have to say that while the Germans are worth more, they are not worth AS MUCH as the brands are asking for today. Thank the taxation laws for that. Case in point: Price of these cars in first world countries, like UK USA etc. They're cheaper there in a DIRECT USD to INR conversion, let alone comparing purchasing power parity in US vs India.

As to why they're worth more, many others in this thread have already elaborated in this thread. And another point - if someone asks why the Q3 over the Tiguan or Kodiaq? When I go to sell my car 5-7 years down the line, we know which will hold its value better.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th March 2024 at 18:54. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
Old 17th March 2024, 17:45   #70
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
Sorry, but at this point is there really a need to even do this comparison or have this thread. I'm too lazy to google but almost every entry level big 3 launch reveiew/post has stated how overpriced they are. Every review of a 25-30L car mentions what a terrific value for money proposition they are and indicates in some way or form how they blow the big 3 out of the competition or something to that effect. Saw it with the Seltos, XUV700, ScorpioN, Safari and even with the Seal. My observation has been that the threads/posts follow this pattern:
You, sir, just killed it!
Bit is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks