Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2024, 11:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: February 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

3400 Fortuners @ Rs 40lakhs a piece
Who says India is a "developing" country? I guess Fortuner numbers will swell as more and more election campaigns get under way.

Jimny at 322 in Feb'24 vs 160 odd in Jan'24. I am sure the Jimny product manager at Maruti is highlighting a "100% growth in retail" and "the highest percentage growth in segment" - just in time for the March end appraisals to give a fillip to the poor guy's CV and a promotion?

Citroen. Languishing. Good cars. Severely myopic marketing team.

Tata: firing on all cylinders. Punch without a "punchy" powertrain continues to "punch" above its weight. "Pun"-ch intended.

15,000 plus Scorpio's. How many amongst these are the old Scorpio Classic? Because I do not see many of the new one's on road.
arjab is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 12:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcontessafan View Post
Honda Elevate numbers are steadily decreasing. MY take is they will settle at 3000 units for sometime till they get an update with minor features. Really sad to see Honda dying a slow death due to lazy indifference from the company. A hybrid engine instead of the NA one in the Elevate would have done wonders.
I think this is Creta effect. All SUVs suffered after creta FL has been launched, including seltos. Also, Honda exported some 5k+ cars this month. may be they are intentionally focusing more on exports.
sud153 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 12:49   #18
BHPian

The Grand Vitara + Hyryder Combo is a sleeper hit for Maruti. Together they are doing 16000+ in volume.

For those who are going to point out the Creta + Seltos Combo, Engineering wise they are completely different products except the platform.

The only difference between Hyryder and GV are their Bumper, Lamps and emblems.
ZenMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 12:52   #19
BHPian

Why are the Harrier/Safari twins classified under D1 category? I thought it should be same as XUV700 under D2 category. Can someone please clarify? Thanks in advance.
pandabear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 13:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
Why are the Harrier/Safari twins classified under D1 category? I thought it should be same as XUV700 under D2 category.
All three are in D1 category including XUV700.
S.MJet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 13:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar_Om View Post
Based on first two months sales numbers for 2024, Creta FL seems to have eaten up Kia Seltos sales. Interesting to see how things turn up in coming months after Creta N Line launch tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Seltos sales have fallen off the cliff! Same for Carens too. Sonet sells quite below average for the segment. Last year, KIA saw almost no growth and because of it, majorly Hyundai Kia missed their annual indian target by 15k units. KIA slowly but surely is seeing their Indian performance decline!

Creta, as expected is seeing massive sales, back to what it used to sell in 2019 times!
This was expected ! Creta was doing a healthy 12k sales a month even in Nov / Dec , when the FL launch was just around the corner.

Creta has become a brand in itself , just like how the Dzire was once for Maruti. It is still doing great , for sure.

Just like the Seltos , Sonet too is minting on the initial FL hype as evidenced from it's sales in Nov / Dec. Once , this order book gets filled , it will revert to it's regular 6-7K a month figures. This , again is still great for Kia as a 'new' brand which is barely 5 years old against 20+ years for Hyundai. I doubt Kia will have as aggressive targets as Hyundai. 6-7 K for their each offering would still suffice IMHO.

This is also coupled with the relatively lower dealer / ASC reach of Kia as compared to Hyundai.

But yes , this decline is much needed as Kia dealers are flying high on the success and don't give a damn about their customer's, atleast here in Goa. Competition is healthy ; I hope we have more takers for the Creta N-Line to make matters interesting.
ashvek3141 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 13:58   #22
BHPian

Truly hard to fathom why Honda will not put that excellent hybrid engine of theirs in the Elevate. The car is not too bad actually, and from a quality perspective seems better than the Grand Vitara / Hyryder. But they are so stubborn to keep that as a petrol-only (and later EV) model. It's just like in the old days when they refused to offer an automatic option for the WR-V, and I personally know people who were disappointed by that and moved on to other choices.

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th March 2024 at 14:18. Reason: Full form for car models.
SithDefender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 14:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see Hilux selling in good numbers. With discount, there is renewed interest in the product. Its not a product for everyone, use case aside, certainly has oodles of character which is making lot of people buy. Mod potential with Hilux is infinite and most are investing the saved bucks on modification. A pickup truck with a sticker price of 48L OTR is selling more than MG Gloster which comes with lot features/practicality. I am not sure if Toyota is making profit or loss but happy to see pickup trucks doing good in India. With Mahindra touted to launch ScorpioN based pick up, things are only going get better!
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 16:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

It's been more than a decade since Maruti launched the Ertiga and simply cannot understand why Tata has been reluctant to enter the 3 row MUV space. This and a rugged UV (Scorpio, Bolero) are two glaring gaps in its product portfolio.

TML will need these to continue the outstanding growth story. Saturating the SUV space alone with multiple launches wont help.
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 16:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
It's been more than a decade since Maruti launched the Ertiga and simply cannot understand why Tata has been reluctant to enter the 3 row MUV space. This and a rugged UV (Scorpio, Bolero) are two glaring gaps in its product portfolio.
And a Creta equivalent? Basically something between the Nexon and the Harrier.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 16:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
And a Creta equivalent? Basically something between the Nexon and the Harrier.
That's happening, Curvv, Sierra etc
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 16:45   #27

Toyota is merrilly enjoying the whole pie of the Big SUV segment to itself with the Fortuner, and the on road prices now seem to be in the ballpark of entry level luxury brand cars. Alas only if Ford had stayed put for another couple of years, they would have surely done pretty decent numbers in this segment with the New Endeavour and given the Fortuner some competition at least.
Maybe this happens later this year, if at all Ford comes back based on all the news around them in the recent weeks..
Centauri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 17:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
For those who are going to point out the Creta + Seltos Combo, Engineering wise they are completely different products except the platform.
OT; Creta and Seltos share the same soul, i.e, Engine and Gearbox Options. Then, same infotainment, feature combinations(for the most part), part sharing such as door window button controllers are same, dials, cabin space to the T.

Steering Wheel is different, Aircon vents are different visually (like that matters highly), the controls *look* different, the console and cabin on the newer cabin is weird; (Seltos is much better compared to this, especially in the new Seltos I test drove yesterday however I wouldn’t call it a largely premium interior), and the funniest bit to me is the right-to-left placement of charging ports on rear air conditioner console of the Creta vs Seltos.

The ride quality somewhat differs between the two because Seltos on defaults gets a stiffer ride quality.

I find that overall looks is the only core differentiator in terms of appeal. They both really only differ in cosmetics and not substance. Hard to justify this as different from GV vs Hyryder.

Then, how exactly are they different products?
SixPistons is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 17:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
The only segments where the other car companies are leading are the ones in which Indian car companies have no presence ( Creta class in particular). If Mahindra or Tata brought in some product to cover this crucial part of the market , then I see no reason the market will tilt in their favor.
I sincerely feel Mahindra is missing big volumes by not bringing an XUV400 with the Petrol 1.5 TGDi mated to the Aisin slushmatic Torque Convertor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Tata is doing elongating the existing Nexon platform to create a Curvv. The Creta will be safe, if Tata or any other OEM tries to adapt their compact platform and stretch it to cover a segment higher. Cheap it maybe, but success I think not.
Tata has had a phenomenal run of success with all its new launches being well accepted (though the Harrier / Safari numbers stretch that definition a bit). My reading of the market is that Curvv will break the dream run. Vehicle looks ungainly and the wheels tiny for the massive wheel wells. It is that Manza look all over again. Moreover, the Indian customer does not like extremely radical looks especially in a bread and butter volume category. And this is exactly where the belly of the market lies.

Tata would do well to listen twice to the recordings of the people who did not like the Curvv in their design clinic, dump it and consider Rs. 300 Cr. well saved!
Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 17:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
I find that overall looks is the only core differentiator in terms of appeal. They both really only differ in cosmetics and not substance. Hard to justify this as different from GV vs Hyryder.

Then, how exactly are they different products?
GV vs Hyryder difference only "soft" parts i.e. plastic and lamps. Seltos Vs Creta have different sheet metal. The different dies that shape metal would have cost at least Rs. 200 Cr if not more. The top-hat change takes a lot, lot more effort that what GV vs Hyryder has done.
Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks