Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2024, 19:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Skoda could bring back diesel engines in India with next-gen Superb

Skoda India planning to bring back diesel engine with Superb.

The 2024 Superb made its global debut in November last year. In the international markets, the new Superb gets six engine options-3 petrol, 2 diesel and a PHEV.

However, when the model arrives in India, it will likely feature 2 engine options, a locally manufactured 2.0l turbo petrol engine and a fully imported diesel trim.

Link:
volkman10 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 17:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda releases sketches of the next-gen Superb

This is music to my ears. TDIs have been missing for far too long.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th February 2024 at 20:01. Reason: Please be respectful, to members and non-members/organizations alike.
vredesbyrd is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 19:20   #3
BHPian

This is a rather surprising decision, albeit a welcome one. But there are a few things that continue to puzzle me:

- India is on a war footing to get rid of Diesels or atleast it seems that way. Other than the Tatas and Mahindras, the only Diesels left are luxury segment and the Fortuner. I'd say skoda has missed the opportunity to sell Diesels here.

- I surprisingly saw many GLS 450d's in NCR, and I'm not sure why people are buying them there. The govt might as well have put a volume limit on Diesels and wed have the same results.

- The Diesel superb is going to be a CBU? Are skoda out of their minds? Diesels are typically used for long term efficiency gains and the 2.0 TDI might be much less expensive to run than the 2.0 TSI but the costlier Diesel car coupled with CBU pricing is going to put the car out of budget for many.

- Why only a Superb TDI? Why not being the Kodiaq, Octavia as well in TDI?

- What have Indian enthusiasts done to not get the hybrids? We seem to be excluded in most hybrid launches despite the hybrid being cheaper to run and peppy to drive. I feel the Skoda global models are the perfect options for hybrids.
Auto_guy_101 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 19:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

re: Rumour: Skoda could bring back diesel engines in India with next-gen Superb

Skoda could bring back diesel engines in India with next-gen Superb - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 19:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_guy_101 View Post
---

- The Diesel superb is going to be a CBU? Are skoda out of their minds? Diesels are typically used for long term efficiency gains and the 2.0 TDI might be much less expensive to run than the 2.0 TSI but the costlier Diesel car coupled with CBU pricing is going to put the car out of budget for many.

- Why only a Superb TDI? Why not being the Kodiaq, Octavia as well in TDI?

- What have Indian enthusiasts done to not get the hybrids? We seem to be excluded in most hybrid launches despite the hybrid being cheaper to run and peppy to drive. I feel the Skoda global models are the perfect options for hybrids.
Superb diesel to take the CBU route. Skoda Kodiaq diesel too is being considered.

Octavia likely to come only in TSI configuration, Hybrid under active consideration.

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th February 2024 at 20:05.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 19:56   #6
BHPian

In my opinion, since they are anyway taking the CBU route, Skoda should bring the plug-in hybrid to India in the next gen Superb and Kodiaq, which would make it more attractive to potential buyers, instead of directly going to EVs.

With the global trend in EV demand, no point delaying the hybrid, as it offers a middle path for apprehensive buyers who may not be ready to make a full fledged leap of faith to EVs directly from ICE. This will also help them test the waters for the future when EVs are to be launched after 2-3 years.

Also, how will this affect the future product line up within the VAG group? Will the Audi's also get Diesel motors in the next gen models, which is one of its main disadvantage when compared to competitors?
Old 28th February 2024, 21:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Gosh, how I wish they launch Slavia with the 1.5 TDI

If only wishes were horses!
PrasannaDhana is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 21:52   #8
BHPian

This is such great news. I have asked this question in this forum a couple of times, now I have my answer. The 2.0 tdi is so good but I have also heard VAG diesels sounding like tractor in old models. Wish they work on that.
Old 29th February 2024, 00:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is the best automotive news I have heard all year. Hope it extends to Audi too. VW group going back to introducing their diesels should bring back much of the sales they had lost after going petrol only.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 01:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Gosh, how I wish they launch Slavia with the 1.5 TDI

If only wishes were horses!
Unfortunately, 1.5 TDI is phased out and the starting variant is 2.0 TDI with 115 PS that too available only from Golf/Octavia platform and above.

Even in Germany, only the company, rental & leasing buyers are choosing diesels. Private buyers are choosing mostly petrols even in bigger cars like Passat, 3 series, Tiguan, Kodiaq, etc.
gopi_rm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 05:03   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I’m hopeful Skoda India will get the Superb L&K CBU in the 2.0 TDI 193bhp variant with AWD. If I remember correctly, the last AWD sedan they had got was the V6 Superb, and that too in limited quantities.

The other TDI is also 2.0 but a RWD with 150bhp only.

Last edited by itwasntme : 29th February 2024 at 05:04.
itwasntme is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 08:07   #12
BHPian

This is great news. In fact ,just 2 days back I had called Modi Skoda to check if they have any news on new Kodiaq possibilities in diesel options. I was told that they will only come in Petrol version.

Still a diesel head at heart. This is a good option from Skoda as current Superb owner. Would love to upgrade to Kodiaq if made available as well.

Now the wait starts till Mid 2025? Any idea.

Last edited by Satkaj : 29th February 2024 at 08:11.
Satkaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 08:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

A CBU Superb will make it far too expensive and will be DOA like the GTI.

Even the vRS was eventually sold with heavy discounts, and that was a product which was very different from the standard Octavia.

A regular CBU Superb will probably never sell as there is hardly any product differentiation for the price.

If it does come in, the best option would be to wait for a year and pick it up with a heavy discount.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 08:58   #14
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Skoda could bring back diesel engines in India with next-gen Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Skoda India planning to bring back diesel engine with Superb.
Allow me to say this mods:

My reaction after seeing this news is Ronaldo going

"SIUUUUUUUUUUU"

We have sorely missed those punchy tractor sounding TDIs

I remember the day I first drove the 1.6 TDI. The pull after the turbo lag was immense, it was life changing for me who had mostly preferred petrols until then and had a negative view on diesels. That engine turned me into a dieselhead.

Even more so with the 2.0 TDI which I drove for the first time in the Jetta. That was noticeably more refined and the turbo lag felt a bit more contained but my goodness, the punch still pushed you back into the seat.

And all of that while both of those engines easily returned 20+ kmpl on highways.

So I am very excited to see this news. I sincerely hope they consider the 2.0 TDI for Virtus/Slavia but I know that might just remain a dream. Maybe atleast the 1.5 TDI updated for the car weight, think 120-125 hp and 350 nm of torque.

Last edited by SaiSW : 29th February 2024 at 09:02.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 10:31   #15
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Skoda could bring back diesel engines in India with next-gen Superb

Very happy to hear this news. I thought after the scandal, they would stop manufacturing diesel engines altogether.
For those with high running, a diesel car makes more sense. I still remember my rides in Rapid and Jetta. Not only were they a hoot to drive, they returned an astonishing 18-20 KMPL in mileage on highways..
I am hopeful that Skoda-VW will do their homework with respect to the pricing of the product.
As a consumer, I am always looking forward to more options to choose from..
adityaNview is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks