Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2024, 23:13   #1
Bit
BHPian

BHPians and their driving OCDs

“Perfectionism is self-abuse of the highest order.” - Anne Wilson Schaef

As much as I believe in this, there is only so much we BHPians can do to shrug it off, especially in a country like India. The seemingly small stuff that usually pass off as trivial, can sometimes trigger the OCD out of us petrolheads, especially in those who prefer their cars and driving to be in perfect order and arrangement.

So my question is: What are some of those OCD triggers, that are otherwise not even worth noticing, but you DO notice while engaging with your car or driving in India?

I'll go first (Promise that you won't laugh): At signals and turns, I don't know why but I expect all indicators to be in perfect sync. Whenever I see the vehicle in front of me blinking indicators at the exact same rate as mine (which means they both were coded to have same number of miliseconds gap while blinking), the view of that light blinking in perfect sync with my indicator ticks, gives me immense pleasure and the moment it goes out of sync, something shatters in me

Your turn!
Bit is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 23:35   #2
BHPian

re: BHPians and their driving OCDs

All those small nicks and dents which my father loves to dismiss as trivial, makes me feel outraged. Maybe it's the wisdom he has gained over the years which prevents him from getting mad, but it does pain a lot to see someone scratching your car, or hitting it, without your fault. My father says that these are bound to happen, but I don't know why it always happens when I am travelling inside the car.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th February 2024 at 03:00.
Mitadru is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 00:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post

Your turn!
I always keep the volume and AC temperature in even numbers only ! Even if the passenger changes the volume I always try to adjust it from the steering column to an even number.

Also one more OCD, the volume know show always be in the correct position like below !
Attached Thumbnails
BHPians and their driving OCDs-sl1600.jpg  

F2005 is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 00:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
I always keep the volume and AC temperature in even numbers only ! Even if the passenger changes the volume I always try to adjust it from the steering column to an even number.

Also one more OCD, the volume know show always be in the correct position like below !
I used to want that volume must be an even number and temperature a whole number and not a decimal. Now I want volume to be a multiple of 5.

I want the AC to always be a whole number even at home. A decimal temperature setting is just uncomfortable.

Number Plate OCD:
Always observe number plates around me and see if the numbers add up to multiples of 5 or 2.

Potholes/Breakers OCD:
Try to balance out the number of potholes seen by both left and right axles wherever possible. If I see opportunity to skip half a speed breaker on one side of the wheels, I skip the opportunity itself and try to make both wheels go over the breakers. Similar with PotHoles.

I believe if both sides go through overall even wear, there are good odds of better ride quality and both wheels being in alignment rather than one side being extremely off.

Warning Horns
I honk about 50% extra, because they may not have heard in first case, maybe music running at high volume or busy on call and sometimes blind spots can be there too. Precautions…

Ignore impatient Honkers at Traffic lights
If someone honks a bit too much within the first 5 microseconds of light turning green, I ignore them for 5 more seconds on purpose. This is primarily because they are being an inpatient snob(not a good word I know) in the first place.

Can’t remember more at the moment
SixPistons is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 01:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

In my Honda Jazz:
- Volume level always at 15
-AC temp always at 24, mode at auto
-Microfibre swipe daily over the gloss black panel on the dash
-Fixed placement of sanitiser, perfume & sunglass box (even if someone moves it, put it back immediately and ask them not to change it)
-Door sills wiped every week, then remember when they got dirty, and next time ask the same person to step in carefully by lifting their feet, not dragging it.
-Always carry garbage bags, to dispose waste if indulging in a snack stop. Food however not allowed to be consumed inside the car. Snack Stop = Eat Outside The Car.
-Once a month, while interior cleaning, add a drop or two of antiseptic in the water spray bottle (which salons use), and wipe all touch points.

I am sure there is more...
parrys is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 01:54   #6
BHPian

So here is my order.

I start by praying, pressing the start button, connecting my phone, temperature is always set at same level, adjust the volume to that same level (depending on the car I'm driving), a final lumbar adjustments, check the RPM meter, and then into D mode.

And yes, if I need to honk, it has to be twice.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th February 2024 at 03:02.
DivyanshuDiv is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 04:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have a weird habit of keeping the front passenger seat height, recline and position in sync with the driver seat. I like the way it looks when both the seats are in perfect sync. Even if someone changes it, I get it back to the original position as soon as they get down. I wish my car had memory seats, it would make my life easier to get it back to the original position whenever anyone meddles with it.
guyfrmblr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 05:38   #8
BHPian

My driving OCD rituals have morphed over the years. Some that come to mind:

Number Plate identification - On the highways I call out the name the of the RTO the vehicle in the front is from. As it annoyed my family, I would just say it quietly to myself. And having screenshots of the state RTO number:names with me on long drives.

Compulsively checking the air pressure and worrying if they differed even slightly.

Always filling the fuel the night before a long trip.

Only filling in COCO petrol stations on a highway.

I keep the wipers on manual and only start them once the rain is really falling. Hate it is when they go off just for a few drops, or when a fellow from the bus in front spits/sneezes/coughs/washes
indusboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 07:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I am OCD regarding anyone physically touching the front windscreen or window glasses. That, in my book, is a non bailable offence. Noting sets me off like oily finger marks on glass, ostensibly to ‘clean the fog’. Just wait for a few seconds for the defogger to kick in before pawing off on my sparkling clean windscreen, will you!!
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 08:05   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

• Have to reverse park all the time. Something in my head about being able to exit quickly.
  • Always switch off AC and then switch off ignition.
  • AC always has to be in climate control mode.
  • Always have to fill petrol to the brim the day before a journey starts.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 08:11   #11
BHPian

Volume levels at even numbers

Wanting the vehicle trying to overtake me, to not feel the need to honk. When there is sufficient gap, I pull slightly to the left to let them pass easily. At the same time, if there was excessive honking(mostly buses) I'll maintain my position and will make them work.

No inadvertent weaving in traffic especially when the road is empty while driving slow and hate drivers who do that. And will drive within my lane on corners at highway speeds.

Hate when doors are opened at closed more than necessary. I will ask passengers to keep it open till they get everything ready. The same goes for windows too.

Low beam driving, even if it had caught me off guard at times. Plus side is, I can manage with ease most of the times even when the oncoming vehicles come with extremely powerful lights.
TorquePull is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 08:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

My quirks

1. Volume and AC temp at even numbers or multiple of 5
2. Mobile, keys, water bottle, sunglass case etc in their place
3. Seat belts for everyone
4. Check proper working of dashcam, both front and rear cam before starting
5. Check TPMS
6. Ensure all AC vents properly aligned
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 09:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

My OCDs when driving are:
1. Keep the windshield squeaky clean. Any amount of dirt or finger prints makes me jittery.
2. Good smelling interiors. Bad smell literally puts me off. Also excess scents tends to make me frown.
3. Loud banging door closure. I just erupt if someone does that even if its my family.
4. If overtaking religiously follow the sequence of high beam flash, honk, high beam flash, honk, over take.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 10:08   #14
BHPian

Re: BHPians and their driving OCDs

I have atleast 2 OCDs -

1. I can never set volume at 13. No problem with the number 13 in other aspects though.

2. I can't see any dust inside of the car. I immediately have to clean the interior with spray foam and a micro fiber cloth.

Noopster

Last edited by noopster1008 : 28th February 2024 at 10:09. Reason: grammar
noopster1008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 10:15   #15
Bit
BHPian

Re: BHPians and their driving OCDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
I used to want that volume must be an even number and temperature a whole number and not a decimal. Now I want volume to be a multiple of 5.
You, sir, take the crown!

Last edited by Aditya : 28th February 2024 at 19:38. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Bit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks