Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2024, 12:56   #46
BHPian

Re: BHPians and their driving OCDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I always have to park in such a way that when I take my vehicle out, the first movement needs to be forward. No superstition or anything here, just an OCD.

(I also have this in trains - I can't have a seat that faces the rear of the compartment).
Give me five buddy. Even for me it is not superstition but I don't like back of car facing whenever I park, I have to reverse it facing front
Old 29th February 2024, 12:57   #47
BHPian

Some of my OCDs':
- Even with dual zone AC, I need both sides to be synced and will often change my side's temperature to match the passenger side.
- I NEED my front windshield as clean as I can have it, sitting in my car while I drive in the rain or snow must be really annoying due to the sheer amount of times I use my wiper fluid to clean the window.
- Have to lock the car 3-4 times in the sequence of: lock -> just in case the first lock did not land -> locking twice did not result in some error -> one last lock before walking away paranoid.
- When parking, car must be as straight into the slot as it can be.
- Rear passenger armrest must be down unless a 5th passenger is travelling. I love sitting in the back and using the rear passenger armrest so I overthink that if it was not down, then my rear passenger would not remember to use it.
- When braking, I gently come off the brake slowly as the car comes to a full stop so as to prevent my passengers from moving forward.
Old 29th February 2024, 13:01   #48
BHPian

Here are my OCDs

I always want my car to be parked such that front is facing outside.

BHPians and their driving OCDs-20240229_125945.jpg

I always park the car as shown in the pic. I have to come reverse for 40 mts to park the car like this but I'm ok with that.
Old 29th February 2024, 13:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsurya1985 View Post
Here are my OCDs

I always want my car to be parked such that front is facing outside.

I always park the car as shown in the pic. I have to come reverse for 40 mts to park the car like this but I'm ok with that.
If you park like this close to the fence, how do you get out? Through the passenger side door?
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 13:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

My OCDs in no particular order.

Streak free windscreen wipers - I replace the blades in a year or when I see a streak, whichever comes first

Deep cleaning of badges, lettering and crevices - it's like dental hygiene

Courtesy tap than honk (picked up this phrase from 'Unhinged') all the more important when someone else is driving my car

Take every curve but entirely within the lane. I hate people who go fast(er) but chicken out close to the barricades and drift into inner lanes
Old 29th February 2024, 14:09   #51
BHPian

Quote:
How you are getting out of the car parking that tight to the wall?
satish.gawai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 14:15   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
I have a weird habit of keeping the front passenger seat height, recline and position in sync with the driver seat. I like the way it looks when both the seats are in perfect sync. Even if someone changes it, I get it back to the original position as soon as they get down. I wish my car had memory seats, it would make my life easier to get it back to the original position whenever anyone meddles with it.
+1 to that. This is my biggest OCD. I feel it gives the car a very balanced look.
krishsreedharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 14:17   #53
BHPian

A few practices I must follow while driving:

- When I set off from home, the windows have to stay open at least until a specific point.
- AC always has to be switched off before shutting the engine.
- Volume always has to be an even number.
- After parking, I always lock the door once using the request sensor and then re lock it once more using the key fob after walking away from the car.
- Each door pocket should have a water bottle at all times.
- Wheels should always be pointing straight after parking.
Old 29th February 2024, 14:33   #54
BHPian

My OCDs in linear order:
1. Seat belt first, then start the car.
2. A/c always at 23C.
3. Always put right indicator when starting from standstill and later in day when starting from parked position.
4. Wait and get anxious for automatic doors locking at 12kmph.
5. When in township always start parking lights when reversing.
6. In choc-o-bloc traffic look for number plates that have any two number that are multiples of 13.
7. Be aware of non city number plate cars and either let them pass or stay long way behind them, or overtake them and stay clear.
8. On U turns do the truck driver kind of sign with the right hand, sticking out completely from the window. (I don’t know why I do this, sometimes I embarrass my co passengers)
9. Always do perfect parking, driving in the slot or reversing. Kind of biggest obsession I have.
Old 29th February 2024, 15:07   #55
BHPian

I did not think I have any OCDs but now I think about it I have following habits that may qualify -
  • Parking facing the exit
  • Slotting in gear after parking brake is applied
  • Car has to be in the centre of parking slot
Old 29th February 2024, 15:08   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
If you park like this close to the fence, how do you get out? Through the passenger side door?

BHPians and their driving OCDs-img_20240229_145912017_hdr_ae.jpg

I park the car such there is enough space for me to get down. I drew the
parking lines as shown in the pic and I ensure that guidelines are aligned to those lines so there is no chance of car coming close to fence and coming on to the road.
Old 29th February 2024, 15:09   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinrevvz View Post

Few cab drivers have asked me if I had just returned from abroad because I wear seatbelts
It once happened with me. Going for a routine errand and as the cab arrives I sit in the front and belt up. Cab driver asks if I have recently returned from “foreign”
Once I was returning from the US in December. As I took the cab at the airport in early morning the cab driver started singing praises about Hyderabadi winter (!) and how cold it is. It was I think 18C. Not cold at all from where I was coming from. I listened to the cab driver for some time. Then told him. “Okay, start the A/c now.”
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 15:35   #58
BHPian

I'm a relatively new driver and thought I wouldn't have much to contribute here. But when I gave it some thought, here's what I find about myself.

1. Empty pockets. Phone in the wireless charger / centre console, wallet in the storage box in the armrest, keys in the door pocket. If anything is in any other place I feel a certain discomfort.

2. For cars with an auto-engaging E-parking brake. I still press it myself even though the light shows engaged. Just another level of mental satisfaction and assurance that you get when you pull a physical handbrake.

3. If music is playing from my phone, I need to see ONLY the media display on my screen. Multi-menu home screens annoy me. Even if I need to adjust something, I revert back to the media option before starting again.

4. Buckling up on the shortest distance. I feel naked without it, even in a parking lot if at all.

5. All port covers if applicable (AUX, USB, SD etc) need to be shut unless in use.

6. IRVM view needs to be symmetrical. I use the rear headrests as reference points.

7. Move forward first even before reversing out of a parking lot. Got this one from dad.

8. Volume in multiples of 5. If inadequate, adjust separately from the phone.

9. Passenger princesses have a knack of taking of their shoes and folding their legs. Not in my car. i can't stand prolonged leather creases on the squab. Recline all you want, but no feet apart from the ground.
Old 29th February 2024, 15:45   #59
BHPian

Does driving barefoot count as OCD? I've tried several times to drive with shoe or sandals on, but it feels weird like I'm disconnected from my car. First thing that I do when getting into my car is to remove my shoes. 😂
Old 29th February 2024, 15:45   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post

Potholes/Breakers OCD:
Try to balance out the number of potholes seen by both left and right axles wherever possible. If I see opportunity to skip half a speed breaker on one side of the wheels, I skip the opportunity itself and try to make both wheels go over the breakers. Similar with PotHoles.

I believe if both sides go through overall even wear, there are good odds of better ride quality and both wheels being in alignment rather than one side being extremely off.

Warning Horns
I honk about 50% extra, because they may not have heard in first case, maybe music running at high volume or busy on call and sometimes blind spots can be there too. Precautions…
Its like hearing my own thoughts.
Can't explain others why I need to maintain equal wear and tear among all parts.
And the extra honks. Need to be sure at intersections because almost everyone is distracted while driving these days.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th February 2024 at 15:47. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks.
vyom_elan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks