Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2024, 15:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Range Rover Velar prices slashed by Rs 6.40 lakh

JLR India has reduced the prices of the Range Rover Velar by Rs 6.40 lakh. The SUV is now priced at Rs 87.90 lakh (ex-showroom).

Range Rover Velar prices slashed by Rs 6.40 lakh-screenshot-20240221-155212.jpg

The Range Rover Velar facelift was introduced in the Indian market in July last year. The SUV is available in the top-spec HSE trim.

As part of the update, the Velar gets new pixel LED headlights, LED DRLs, redesigned tail lights and a new rear bumper. Inside, the SUV gets an 11.4-inch curved touchscreen, 4-zone automatic climate control, a 360-degree camera, powered front seats with heating and ventilation functions, a powered tailgate, and a Meridian audio system.

Range Rover Velar prices slashed by Rs 6.40 lakh-screenshot-20240221-154958.jpg

In India, the Velar is available with a 2.0-litre petrol engine producing 247 BHP and 365 Nm and a 2.0-litre diesel that puts out 201 BHP and 430 Nm. The SUV gets a four-wheel-drive system and air suspension that lowers the ride height by 40 mm in 'Elegant Arrival' mode.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by TusharK : 21st February 2024 at 15:54.
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 16:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Range Rover Velar prices slashed by Rs 6.40 lakh

Good move JLR! Now it is priced much lesser than the German rivals, but it is justified as it is slightly under powered and has lesser tech on offer.
HighOnSpeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 18:14   #3

Not sure if it is going to turn around its fortunes.
The Germans downright seem like VFM infront of this car.
sgoyal9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 12:11   #4
BHPian

This might be a good positive move.

Until now, defender and Velar had the same pricing, Velar was overshadowed always as one would buy the defender over the velar due to the hype.
Old 22nd February 2024, 12:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

For a car that’s a BMW X3, Mercedes Benz GLC and Audi Q5 Rival, being priced 15-20 Lakhs more than them itself was a blunder, the price correction is a bit too late now, not to forget the feature deletions it has seen compared to the pre-facelift Velar !

Yes, the Velar is longer than the German Trio and even has a longer wheelbase, but that does that translate into better space on the inside? Not at all !
The rear seat legroom is in the same league as that of the German Trio.

Both 2.0L engines of the Velar are average at best, the 2.0L petrol may have 247hp but those are not German horses and the heavier weight plays spoilsport and the 2.0L Diesel makes do with 201hp which even a 50Lakh Fortuner gets.

I don’t see anyone plonking almost 1.1Cr on this car ! When you’re just a foot away from the likes of the Mercedes Benz GLE, BMW X5 and LR Defender or full-blown Discovery 5. These prices really require 3.0L engines to justify the hefty premium.

The Jaguar F-Pace is in the same quandary as the RR Velar. Other than the sexy looks of both these cars, people will keep preferring the Germans over these British duo.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 22nd February 2024 at 12:39.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:31   #6
BHPian

For me, any vehicle above 70L ex-showroom with 4 cyl no matter what the power and torque figure is, may not be worth it and the market has better alternatives. Only exception is when the car is chauffeur driven all the time.
Kashi053 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Great move. I hope others watch and learn. The bullishness and high headedness the luxury car brands had from covid has finally ended and it’s good to see them humbling down to drive sales and not just profits.

I respect them for decreasing the sticker price, that seldom happens. Most players just continue discounting heavy to price correct without correcting the sticker. However I think a lower sticker price invites more customers. Not everyone has the patience to haggle to know the real price.
Sahil is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 09:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
For a car that’s a BMW X3, Mercedes Benz GLC and Audi Q5 Rival, being priced 15-20 Lakhs more than them itself was a blunder, the price correction is a bit too late now, not to forget the feature deletions it has seen compared to the pre-facelift Velar !
I wholeheartedly disagree. Bimmers and Bavarians look mass market and everyone has either one of them (no offence intended!). They are fine. I also like 40i and 450d engines. But Range Rover has a moniker that warrants much more road presence and dare I say; “prestige”. I’d pay for that! Can’t blame the sexy minimalist interiors either. It sure is neither here nor there though. A bit bigger and “luxurious” than X3/GLC but smaller and perhaps “less luxurious” than X5/GLE.

Perhaps I am against the tide but I had very similar thought process to rank Jag XE and Volvo S90 above 3 series and C class few years ago. ZERO regrets

Here's why I think Velar > GLC/X3:
- Air suspension
- Off road pack. LSD, diff lock, Clean bonnet view too(?)
- Keyless (please correct me if GLC/X3 have this now? If not, blimey! I don’t know what to say)
- Bigger boot, bigger fuel tank, bigger tires, bigger dimensions (yes, all 3 ways)

It just is a better car with a mediocre engine (relatively speaking) and that leads sports/enthusiastic persona to look out for other cars with 6 pots.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd February 2024 at 14:21. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts; post formatting
Tutenkhamen is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 18:48   #9
BHPian

Perceived value of a brand varies from one individual to another. I place the Range Rover badge below Audi, BMW and Merc. It was overpriced earlier and still is.
exhaustpipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 10:12   #10
BANNED

I don't understand why anyone would buy a Land Rover, Range Rover. They are very unreliable, very expensive to maintain, very expensive to insure and have very poor mileage, also very easy to steal. Many owners upgrade the security and fit steering wheel locks.
Many insurance companies will no longer cover these vehicles, some have even cancelled existing policies. Any cover available is extremely expensive.
There are much better, practical vehicles to choose from.
Regards Neil
Old 24th February 2024, 23:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
I don't understand why anyone would buy a Land Rover, Range Rover. They are very unreliable, very expensive to maintain, very expensive to insure and have very poor mileage, also very easy to steal. Many owners upgrade the security and fit steering wheel locks.
Many insurance companies will no longer cover these vehicles, some have even cancelled existing policies. Any cover available is extremely expensive.
There are much better, practical vehicles to choose from.
Regards Neil
Is that a perception or do you have data to substantiate all these?

I didn't know insurance has anything to do with the brand of the car!

Velar gives around 10 kmpl with diesel hybrid in the city as per the drive reports. Can't agree it is poor mileage.

I agree with your last sentence. There are many other practical vehicles and may give better peace of mind too.
Old 25th February 2024, 09:45   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Is that a perception or do you have data to substantiate all these?

I didn't know insurance has anything to do with the brand of the car!

Velar gives around 10 kmpl with diesel hybrid in the city as per the drive reports. Can't agree it is poor mileage.

I agree with your last sentence. There are many other practical vehicles and may give better peace of mind too.
UK DVLA driver vehicle licensing agency. Range Rover Sport ranks 5 in the top 10 vehicles stolen.
Range Rover Evoque ranks 6. Land Rover Discovery Sport ranks 10.
1 in every 100 Land Rovers were stolen. 2 in every 100 Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic HSE D180A were stolen.
"Warrantywise Reliability Index Rates" Land Rover, Range Rover are named the least reliable manufacturer, due to the frequency and cost of repairs.
Land Rover, Range Rover were named as second least reliable brand in What Cars
Index last year.
In the UK it is the vehicle that gets insured. The make, model, fuel type, auto, manual, age of vehicle etc are all considered in the risk a.k.a. cost. Then on top of that the drivers history, licence penalties, accident claims etc are factored in as well (also increasing the cost).
Quote from Adrian Flux Insurance :
Insurance for these luxury SUVs has shot through the roof, with many paying upwards of 2.5 lakh Rupees and some being quoted figures as high as 38 lakh Rupees on their annual insurance. That is, if they’re able to get cover at all; a lot of insurers are refusing to cover Range Rovers completely. As a result of this crime wave some Range Rovers have become almost impossible to insure.
Quote from Parkers UK :
There is no escaping this. The Range Rover is going to be an expensive car to run. Servicing costs are likely to be lower than the equivalent Bentley Bentayga but they are still high. Fueling it will also be expensive.
Expect 7km/l from the V8 P530, and 8.8km/l from the 6 cylinder mild hybrid.

You quote 10km/l as being "good mileage" for a diesel hybrid ? Even the petrol Merc 330e quotes 77km/l !!!

I am 68 with a full clean driving licence and over 20 years without an insurance claim. I currently pay 22000 Rupees for full insurance cover on a Ford Focus. I have just used a comparison site to insure a Range Rover Velar, 2023 model used car. The cheapest quote was over 7 lakh Rupees. Out of 189 insurance companies only 9 !!! were willing to quote.

All of the above data is available on UK websites from accredited respected organizations. As I work in the "motor" trade I have first hand experience of these issues. Many years ago I had Range Rovers but finally gave up on them because of poor fuel mileage, unreliability, expensive parts and high insurance. I went over to Toyota. Range Rover lost the plot when they fitted carpets and not rubber mats. It was a dual purpose vehicle that you could hose out and then go out to dinner.
It's a shame, I really like Range Rovers but cannot accept the poor reliability and high costs.

Last edited by Redex : 25th February 2024 at 09:59. Reason: Spelling
Redex is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks