Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2024, 19:59   #91

Re: Modern car trends that you find aesthetically unappealing

My biggest hash is with the manufacturers calling some hatchbacks "SUVs"! It's extremely frustrating to hear an Exter, Ignis, Punch, heck even a Spresso being called a SUV. I believe the manufacturers are only pandering to the taste of the majority of Indian car buyers who have gravitated heavily over anything that is being marketed as an "SUV"! Just slap on some roof rails, front & rear bumper cladding, increased ground clearance, and voila, the pseudo-SUV is ready.
Piyushjaiswal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 12:17   #92
Senior - BHPian

Rear indicators are barely visible in day time on 2024 facelift Creta. Too much sleekness also doesn't work sometimes. Safety is more important than "FORM".
Attached Thumbnails
Modern car trends that you find aesthetically unappealing-ghhhl0swiaqp2tf.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 12:44   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Rear indicators are barely visible in day time on 2024 facelift Creta. Too much sleekness...
Yes, and a different version of it - when the indicator is surrounded by brake lights. Look at Baleno and Thar:

Name:  Baleno_1.png
Views: 120
Size:  560.9 KB
Modern car trends that you find aesthetically unappealing-thar.png

The red LED lights are much brighter than the halogen orange and makes it difficult see the indicators. When taking a turn, of course many will hit the brakes to slow down. I have often struggled to realize that they have turned on the indicator also. The situation becomes worse for such drivers who will turn on the indicator after hitting the brakes or just before taking the turn.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 14:41   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Rear indicators are barely visible in day time on 2024 facelift Creta. Too much sleekness also doesn't work sometimes. Safety is more important than "FORM".
Almost ran head-on into a previous gen Creta coming in the opposite side turning (his) right because the damn indicators were placed along with the fog lamp down below the front bumper! I didn't even notice it until I was almost near him, and he started turning suddenly!
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 16:36   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
I didn't even notice it until I was almost near him, and he started turning suddenly!
I've been in almost seven or eight such situations where the indicator just wasn't visible enough. One was a Citroen, a couple of them were cretas and even the new Tata cars are getting infected.

Indicators are some of the most important bits of cars, especially inside cities where one might need to take countless turns. Becoming almost blinker-blind because some manufacturer didn't give a damn about the customer's and other's safety is just so appalling.

It's like the manufacturers think, "We know these are unsafe but we also know you're dumb enough to buy and die so why bother when the money flows our way?"

In a word, pathetic
that_sedate_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 20:17   #96

I agree with literally every single point mentioned in aggregate! This world is truly a nightmare for purists/enthusiasts (sigh).
Old 22nd March 2024, 21:31   #97
BHPian

Would like to offer a different point of view.
I have nothing to add in terms of dislikes, but must appreciate Honda for giving a beautiful variant spread for the new City.
I personally don't like sunroof and LED head lamps.
So when I was researching for my new car, the City V variant ticked all boxes and negates all "unappealing" things mentioned in the earlier posts.

Some notable "features" in City V variant that I liked:
1) No sunroof.
2) 15" alloy wheels, less strain on wallet to replace tyres.
3) No LED headlamps. Headlamps at conventional location.
4) Fog lamps available.
5) No overdose of LED screens, conventional dials.
6) No connected LED lights.

The icing on the cake would have been 6 airbags, which sadly starts from VX variant onwards.
Instead of ADAS I would have preferred conventional Cruise Control alone.

Hence I feel that City V variant still retains the conventional charm that we all like.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 22nd March 2024 at 21:33.
rajivr1612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 14:19   #98

Unappealing from my side, aesthetically, as already said by few to many here.

1. Too much chrome. Big chrome bar at front and back, especially. But as per customer trend, seems chrome is liked by some, maybe as proportionate to richness like Gold/silver.
2. Placement of headlights/indicators at bottom or not so ideal locations.

From variant breakup in terms of feature allocations, this is also really bad, according to me, from safety aspect. Important safety features being pushed to top variants only, like rear defogger/wiper, rear cam, fog lights, max airbags, driver height adjuster, good headlights.
All aesthetic detailing like chrome, Led tail lamps, luxury features like auto ac, ventilated seats can be had with Top variants.
Old 24th March 2024, 02:08   #99
BHPian

• Capacitive buttons on steering wheel
  • Touch controls for A/C
  • Gloss black over touch points
  • Fake exhausts
  • Split headlamps/DRLs. The bottom expensive headlamp unit is more prone to damages in our driving conditions.
  • Touch or small buttons for gear shifter
  • Indicator stalk replaced with steering wheel buttons
Old 24th March 2024, 04:41   #100
BHPian

There are so many design features on modern cars which neither hold any purpose nor look particularly appealing, including-
  1. Fake exhaust.
  2. Headlight cluster connected to grill (starting with BMW F30).
  3. Floating roofline.
  4. Black alloy wheels.
  5. Flared wheel arches.
  6. ORVMs attached to front doors instead of ideal point behind A-pillars.
  7. Rear windscreen wipers of modern Hatchbacks and SUVs pivoting from glass area instead of earlier case of having pivoting point on rear tailgate: this reduces wiper coverage because of smaller possible size of wipers.
  8. LED DRLs.
  9. Grill design on latest German cars right from VW Golf to almost every BMW.
  10. Sedans having coupe-like roofline.
  11. Tacky imitation of "Hoffmeister kink" on current BMW sedans.
  12. Touchscreen-based interior controls.
  13. Digital speedometer which makes for difficult judgement of speed w.r.t. analog dials.
  14. Connected taillights.
  15. 2 spoke steering wheel.
  16. Gear-shift buttons on latest cars instead of having proper gear levers, and electronic parking brake.
  17. Many hatchbacks having fixed headrests on front seats.

These are just a few of many, mainly dictated by cost-cutting measures.

Last edited by graaja : 24th March 2024 at 07:58. Reason: Numbered list for better readability
Old 4th April 2024, 13:29   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick029 View Post
IMO car design in recent years have stagnated, almost every car looks similar unlike the past where car design had some character. Almost every car today is a box crushed differently.
I think all companies are trying to follow the futuristic cars we used to see in movies and while it looked cool at the time, I think all manufacturers working towards a similar design isn't good for us consumers since there is not a lot of variety.

A lot of companies are forgoing their design languages in order to look like the stereotypical modern cars.

Cars nowadays lack unique designs which may be polarising but at least they would be fun. But I suppose it's more profitable to be as inoffensive and ordinary as possible.
BrakHorseBarhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 13:41   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakHorseBarhat View Post
I think all companies are trying to follow the futuristic cars we used to see in movies and while it looked cool at the time, I think all manufacturers working towards a similar design isn't good for us consumers since there is not a lot of variety.

A lot of companies are forgoing their design languages in order to look like the stereotypical modern cars.

Cars nowadays lack unique designs which may be polarising but at least they would be fun. But I suppose it's more profitable to be as inoffensive and ordinary as possible.
Could not agree more with you. I wish manufacturers go back to the days when each one had a different design theme ex corvette stingray 😅. Sadly i dont think it will happen.
maverick029 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks