Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2024, 12:45   #31
BHPian

Re: Modern car trends that you find aesthetically unappealing

Ranked in terms of irritation:

1. Digital overdose: Certain features like the speedo/tacho/fuel gauge or AC controls should be basic physical/analogue controls. I can never trust a digital fuel gauge, and swiping screens to reach AC controls is a driving hazard.

2. Multi colur display. This might be an oddity for others, but I find overtly colourful displays to be distracting at times. Give me basic info and let me drive.

3. Those huge grills. They are downright ugly!! learn from Porsche guys!! They have been designing beauties for decades and never needed stupid grills.

4: Too many creaselines: I find some cars have too manh design elements in the form of creaselines. While I am not a fan of the jellybean design, I find cars are overdoing it nowadays in terms of cuts and creases.
amitayu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:46   #32

I understand that it is necessary for some, but the whole trend of compact SUV and crossovers is kinda meh IMHO.

Gone are the days of the hatchback, sedan, SUV. Now we have budget hatchback, premium hatchback, compact sedan, sedan, crossover, compact SUV, SUV, MUV, and I am very sure that I missed at least one segment.

Also the whole trend of cars becoming larger, when logic dictates that congested roads and cities should cause an increase in the sale of smaller cars. We have roads becoming more congested by each passing day, and cars which dont help in reducing the square footage occupied (while in traffic on said roads, as well as in parking).

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd March 2024 at 14:47. Reason: Spacing and formatting
anay3000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:46   #33
Ice
BHPian

Bumpers (especially rear bumpers) whose edge isn’t the farthest edge in the car. They’re often beaten by the boot lip, or a fancy tail light.

The bumper’s job is to protect the car, right? Not “hey boot lip, thank for denting your way to a full replacement while I’m untouched”
Ice is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:55   #34
BHPian

Things I hate in newcar trends:-

1) Lack of physical buttons, there are no buttons in the new Nexon apart from those on the steering wheel, the rest are all feather touch panels or touch screen, just hate that. It is also a safety hazard.

2) Continious LED lamps, that thin strip of light that is contigious with the DRLs/tail lamps, are a bit over done. A visuall disaster, I like the looks and the stance of the older Nexon better.

regards kaps454

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd March 2024 at 14:47. Reason: Spacing and formatting
kaps454 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 13:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post
I guess I don't need to explain. Everyone's already talked about it enough.
The steering wheel is the only change I personally welcome in the new car, the rest I can would rather not have. They have even deleted the reading lamps/map light, just one bright white LED cabin light.

The new steering feels better to hold, horn pad takes getting used to.
regards kaps454
kaps454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 13:01   #36
BHPian

Waiting for the day they push down turn indicators to the mud flaps. It's already hard with choc-a-bloc traffic to notice when indicators are at a decent height and they keep pushing them lower. Its not about aesthetics, its about safety.
amavin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 13:05   #37
BHPian

For me, it is the excessive use of chrome, that I really don't like.

And the other would be the new generation of alloy wheels design patterns - somehow they mostly look weird.

Lastly, the hard plastics replacing soft touch materials, which virtually leaves a notion of cheap product/cost cutting.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd March 2024 at 14:48. Reason: Spacing and formatting
DivyanshuDiv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 13:13   #38
BHPian

I absolutely vehemently hate sunroofs. I have never hidden my dislike for them, and the people who misuse them, on this forum. My BP also rises when I see tiny specimens of humanity poking their heads out of moving vehicles.

The loathing is so high that we only looked at non-sunroof variants of the Grand Vitara for my father, even if it meant losing out on certain features. We did not even consider anything with glass on top.

I also hate that the fog lamps are either deleted or dumbed down in today's cars, even if my use case might be a few days or weeks in a year only. My Brezza ZXI+ has weak LED fog lamps, and my Grand Vitara Delta has none.

Finally, I don't like this growing trend of having disproportionate front and rear ends. Most cars these days look huge in the front and relatively much smaller in the back. My Brezza is one such example. So are the pre-facelift Venue, facelift Seltos and facelift Hector.

Last edited by Small Bot : 20th February 2024 at 13:18.
Small Bot is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 13:44   #39
BHPian

Fake exhausts and fake vents for sure tops the list for me. It reeks of dishonesty.
meisteramg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 13:54   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masalawheelz View Post
2. Mandatory Sunroof/Panoramic sunroof on higher variants - I'm part of the 'I don't want a sunroof in my car' category and there are quite a few of us. I appreciate the slavia having the option of top end (style) with/without sunroof. The entire roof being made up of glass just gives me the heebie jeebies in a country where pretty much anything can fall from above. Please give us the option of buying the top end without Sunroof! I feel the sleek roof of a sedan without a sunroof looks a million times better than one with a panoramic sunroof on it.
I hate the current trend of a mandatory sunroof on higher variant cars and SUVs. I never use the one in my car. Bombay is too hot and rainy for a sunroof to be practical.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th February 2024 at 14:03. Reason: Fixing quote tags, please do a preview before submitting post.
qtfan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 14:00   #41
BHPian

I agree with most of the features mentioned already in this thread that make modern cars look either ugly or inconvenient. But one thing that has to be mentioned here is ADAS, specially in Indian context. ADAS in India is as useless as a sunglass is to a blind man.
Carpainter is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 14:16   #42
BHPian

Dislike following points:

1. Over emphasis on touch controls and removing physical buttons even a rotary/knob for volume function.

2. While touch screen/infotainment system is central located in almost all cars, aesthetically very cars have managed to merge it with the rest of the dashboard

3. Korean and few other cars play around around with DRLs but don't seem to provide an effective set of lights which clearly set out the path for the drivers during night drives.

4. Focus on the fancy brands for infotainment/speakers to market the cars on the back of them, but not work on the noise insulation and good quality speakers.
youknowitbetter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 14:18   #43
BHPian

Piano Black Plastic interior trim

It is the bane of every modern car interior. It looks like crap in just about any car its put in, in a Skoda Superb, in Honda City, in a Merc Class.

I believe using black colored trim pieces first started in the mid 2000s in the really high end luxury cars like Bentley Arnage, RR Phantom, CL600 and so on.

Modern car trends that you find aesthetically unappealing-6ovlix8hu7.jpg

Modern car trends that you find aesthetically unappealing-3e8c25b67e7d4bd0b7e0738b7362c7a1.jpg

Modern car trends that you find aesthetically unappealing-cimg1210.jpg

But the basic trim used in the cars above is actual wood and that looks gorgeous.

The piano black plastic trims put in our normal car these days looks so bad, even on a 40 lakh superb. It just feels exactly like the plastic body of a cheap to mid prized smart phone. And it collects all sorts of dust and grime and scratch marks. There is not a single good thing about it.
nakul0888 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 14:22   #44
BHPian

Spot on! It's because of this un-ergonomic disaster in the name of bling that I've decided not to buy any Tata EV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post

I guess I don't need to explain. Everyone's already talked about it enough.
Gotcha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 14:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Indicators separated from the headlamps, “fake” connected tail lamps (eg. Elevate), tubelight grilles (eg. Verna, Nexon.ev), vertical entertainment screens (yes, even the S-Class), unnecessary large rear skid plates (eg. Kiger).

Note: I assume this thread is about aesthetic trends only or the list would be much longer.

Last edited by ron178 : 20th February 2024 at 15:00.
ron178 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks