Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2024, 10:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Modern car trends that you find aesthetically unappealing

Vertically oriented touch screens: This takes up unnecessary space, a distraction to the driver and also eats up some critical and functional controls, to be buried under sub menus (I'm looking at you MG).

Connected Car Tech: I myself am nerdy and inquisitive about tech, but I value privacy too. We already handy tracking devices (maybe a couple, if you include smartwatches). My car collecting data about every drive, and sending it to some server with unknown security measures or loopholes in privacy policy. Its just too much. Also, it adds many points of failures. For me, tech begins with something like ventilated seats or motorized closing of boot and ends with Android Auto/Carplay. I don't want another platter of data collection served by automakers. I wish there would be a legislation where the modules for this could be easily removed.

Smaller rear windshields: I learnt myself to use three mirrors judiciously, back when I was given the parking duties during my rosy parts of teenage (of course in a private property and under supervision), but cars these days have very poor rear visibility through IRVM. While it's somewhat liveable with, in metros like Chennai or BLR, where we have some of the most well mannered people on the planet, it becomes quite a bit difficult to minimise blind spots. Some automakers have given the option to use rear camera as a substitute, but it's a nightmare to use them at night, and also most have their camera in the bumpers, which negates the use case.

Lack of Tall Boy hatches: Now, I know that models like Punch, the Exter or the C3 could be an answer, but they are still a chore to get on to. I've seen my old folks struggling to climb on to a Nexon, whereas its relatively easy on a Ritz or a Santro.

DRLs: Another pointless wastage of energy, just to make it appeal aesthetically. It serves much purpose on the two wheelers, where they can avoid using headlamps all day due to rules, but on cars, I've seen them yellowing out pretty quickly. It makes the car look aged, with yellowish tint.

Last edited by subie_socal : 20th February 2024 at 10:38. Reason: Minor grammar oopsie s
subie_socal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 10:36   #17
BHPian

So many things I hate about new cars.

All digital console is 1 of them. I still love needles going up and down when you drive.

Another 1 is tube light like connecting headlights like in new Verna. Buttons rather than stick to select gears.

Low profile tyres on regular cars like SUVs, family sedans, minivans. Low profile tyre should be offered only on performance cars.

Companies giving preference to sunroof, big touchscreens rather than offering safety features like rear defogger, wiper in base and mid variants.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd March 2024 at 14:46. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Bhalla is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 10:56   #18
BHPian

1. I donot like the general trend that the newer version is always bigger than the older version in size. If this trend continues for a long time, we get big butch cars on the tiny looking streets which unfortunately donot change with this trend.

2. Unnecessary curves and over engineered aerodynamics make the car look ugly. Simplistic design for example Pajero are ever lasting beauties.

3. I donot know who started the sun roof trend. It is getting bigger and bigger. I feel the structural safety of the car would be compromised in case of an overturn in accidents.

4. The gauge of the body panels are becoming thin like use and throw. No more cars are build like tanks to last 50 years. Car lobby is to be blamed as they want all to buy new cars every 5 years and Government wants to get the cars scrapped after 10 years. Who is thinking of the limited resources for the posterity to enjoy automobiles?

5. We are over complicating with gadgets distracting the driver. Long drives are becoming boring now with power steering, cruise controls, automatic transmission, ADAS and the driver gets sleep after couple of hours non stop drive unless one breaks for few minutes.

6. Superficial advanced looking electric cars with minimal moving parts is good for maintenance as they can last so long that one can drive to moon and back multiple times without having to change the car. But the reality is the battery technology is not advancing as desired. This is creating huge grave yards of electric vehicles which are ditched after couple of years of usage.

Last edited by Mystic : 20th February 2024 at 11:01.
Mystic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:06   #19
BHPian

Modern car trends that you find aesthetically unappealing-screenshot-20240220-110430.png

I guess I don't need to explain. Everyone's already talked about it enough.
MotorDev is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorDev View Post

I guess I don't need to explain. Everyone's already talked about it enough.
Is it the digital steering logo you are talking about or the massively mis-aligned left spoke buttons?

I know it's the former, but just can't un-see the later as well.
07CR is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:34   #21
BHPian

I absolutely hate those tube-light type connected DRLs that runs from one headlamp to the other.

The latest Tata cars - Nexon EV, Harrier, Safari have them. The new Hyundai Verna too.
anshu1101 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:41   #22
BHPian

IMO car design in recent years have stagnated, almost every car looks similar unlike the past where car design had some character. Almost every car today is a box crushed differently.
maverick029 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
touch for nearly everything; worst of all the aircon and entertainment.
This is echoed in many user surveys, including this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Digital dials; electro mechanical like in a Lexus or else just don’t.
Whether we like it or not, digital dials are there to stay. Electromechanical clusters are going out just the way pure mechanical dials are out, and they will be mimicked using animation on TFT screens.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:57   #24
BHPian

Big ugly grills

Light bars everywhere

Touch buttons for AC and steering

Poor digital clusters
Bhodrolok is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 11:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
-

- Beige/ white interiors
This is the one thing I disagree! I love dark corloured cars (Black I mean), but seat cushion and the headliner has to be biege or white! Darker interior gives me nausea and feels clostrophobic.
2nd_gear_7krpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:11   #26
BHPian

As always like minds think alike. Most of my thoughts are already posted. Is just sad that automobile designers might never read this thread. Glass half empty kind of thinking I guess.

But here is the list:

1. Usage of unnecessary chrome. Consumers love when something sparkles/shines but for me its a huge turnoff. I wouldn't want my door handles remind me of dentist cabin with shiny instruments or mirrors.

2. Deepfake. I don't know what it means but sounds cool. Just like a sticker or decal of a hood scoop or some chrome coated plastic fake exhaust. Pretending to be something you are not. Ugh!

3. Glossy dashboard/plastics in the front or any where in the interior. Maybe if you leave your car untouched it will be fine. But in case you drive your care it gets scratches and glares back at you.

4. Touchscreen. It worked wonders for phones and many other appliances however when you love driving its very annoying to find your way into things. I mean a tactile feedback from a manual button is much more satisfying and less distracting.

5. All black interior. I know this is the most controversial of all but here is my thought. With light color interiors (beige or white) the space inside of the car feels airy or spacious or even big VS all blacked out interior which is easier to maintain. Doesn't mater if any of the co passenger is claustrophobic, at least you would feel like batman in his bat cave. I love batman but still would like to enjoy my drive with a spacious airy feel.
OpenRoads is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:12   #27
BHPian

Lack of proper , bright yellow fog lamps & instead favoring white LED's for fog lamps: how is it even useful for its stated use, except for "white light goood, more white light even better" syndrome.

The joke of a "space saver tyre" is another. It's a safety hazard IMHO; only thing it saves is the OEM some beans, and the authorities ought not to approve such cheaping out by OEM's.
Vtach is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:15   #28
BHPian

I would like to add the below:

i) Ambient lights. During night drives, all they do is reflect them onto the windows, disturbing peripheral vision.
ii) A chime or a bong for everything
iii) Insanely bright rear stop lamps
iv)Piano black for high touch areas and some exterior parts. Get easily scratched up.
v) Low mounted indicators ala Alcazar and Tuscon difficult so see in ORVM/IRVM and easily damaged incase of an accident
blogslogger is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:24   #29

The electronic shifters! Even in automatic cars I prefer the column shifter not just for the response but because it gives such good feedback to the driver and makes the cabin feel analogue enough and not a pilot cockpit
cityscrambler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 12:34   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

BHPians have covered most aspects. May our tribe grow.

Here's my list:

1. Big ugly grill. Most buyers are gulping ugly car faces in name of modern design.

2. Using a 'tab' in place of proper music system. This trend is simply bad integration unlike older cars where stereo and ACC controls used to be integrated in the dashboard design which gave a unique look to each car's interior. Also, such lighted screens are a source of distraction & eye strain for drivers.

3. Digital bar type RPM meter- Analog is now too much to ask, at least give a digital one resembling analog design.

4. Strong creases in the side profile.

5. Overdone DRLs- Too much bling- I have seen this trend more in Indian cars like Mahindra.

6. The new trend of giving a 'family face' to all cars of a brand. This robs the individual design characteristics of a car as it has to 'conform' to the 'family' design.

7. Headlamps in the bumper! So that they are more damage prone in case of accidents and hence brings more 'revenue' to the company.

8. Touch screens for more and more controls in the dash. Not at all convenient for the driver.
saket77 is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks