Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2024, 22:43   #1

Your expectations about the car / bike delivery experience

Hello Folks!

I hope all are doing well. It's been a long time since I have posted something on this forum although an avid reader of all the threads. This specific post is something related to the delivery experience of our family scooter, Suzuki Burgman Street. But before I start with the post, I want to congratulate this wonderful community on its 20th birthday. It is the best Automotive community in the world which has maintained the standard throughout these years. A special mention to all the moderators. So, let's come back to the topic.

We had a TVS Wego which we bought as a family scooter in 2012. It had run over 40000 kms in the past 12 years and it performed flawlessly without any hiccups. It was a wonderful scooter with a smooth engine and amazing handling, all thanks to its body balance tech. For the past 4 years, my dad has been using the scooter for all the local commutes. Out of nowhere, my dad got an itch to get a new Royal Enfield Bullet and he also went to the nearby showroom to check it. Since he is 65 years old, I felt that a Bullet would be too much for him due to the weight and also for the money that he is spending to get one. Even my mother was strictly against this as she felt the roads were not safe and getting a geared bike would be stressful. Then the Bullet plan was dropped completely. Then one day all of a sudden, I thought like, "Why don't we get a new scooter that is more comfortable than Wego?" The only scooter that came into my mind was the Suzuki Burgman. Without thinking much, I went straight to the nearby Suzuki Showroom and test-rode the scooter. As it was obvious, it was way more comfortable than Wego due to its riding position. I got the quotation from the Sales Executive and informed her I would get back to them. The same evening when my dad came home, I told him about this and showed him some YouTube videos. He was quite impressed by the scooter, but he did not give me any confirmation. Even my mom told me this plan is better than getting a Bullet. After two days, my dad called me in the afternoon and informed me that there was a buyer for the Wego and he wanted to know the price that we were expecting. I told him the price and the buyer was ok with it. The deal was done.

The very next day, I went to the Suzuki Showroom and booked the scooter in its Matte Green avatar, but the sales executive informed me that the color was not available and they already received the load that day. She informed me to wait for a week till they receive their next load and they will push from their end to allocate a Matte green color. I decided to wait for a week. After 3 days, I called the executive for an update and she informed me that they received a load and she was checking for any Matte green vehicle available. She mentioned that she would get back to me once it was confirmed. Fortunately, 2 Matte green scooters were available and she informed me that the process can be completed and the delivery can be arranged within a week. After an hour I went for a PDI and checked everything and completed the process. Here I must appreciate the efforts put up by the sales executive for allocating the vehicle before the given time. During the PDI, I informed the executive that I did not require the Steel guard which IMO was too blingy. The price for this was also reduced from the total price. Now the wait began.

On 12th February, I informed my executive that I expected the delivery by 14th February since it was a good day (Not because of Valentine's Day). As the executive was on leave that day, she informed me that she would update the delivery date once she was back in the office the next day. On 13th February, she informed me that I could take the delivery of the scooter on 14th. I was all set for the delivery. It's been a long time since a new vehicle came to our family, so I was excited! I informed my executive that I would be there at the showroom by 11 AM.

The next day, I and my dad reached the showroom by 10.30 AM since my dad had a meeting to attend at 11 AM. Once we entered the showroom, we saw our new scooter parked right in front and I noticed something was different with the scooter. It was the Steel guard that I asked my executive not to install . I was like,"Waaah what a start!". I asked my executive regarding this and she was like, "Since there were many vehicles for delivery, I did not notice it". Since I didn't want to spoil the mood, I told her politely to remove the guard and then I will take the delivery. I asked her to check the time taken to remove the guard. She checked and informed me that it would take half an hour to remove it. Since my dad had to go, I told her to hand over the key to my father and I would wait for half an hour. She asked me to wait for 5 minutes. This is the part that made me write this post. In the 5 minutes she asked me to wait, I was thinking in my mind that the sales manager and a few people from the sales team would accompany us and hand over the key with a few claps. As I was daydreaming about this scene, my sales executive came with a big plastic key and asked me to give the phone to a person standing nearby to take a photo. The key was given and the photo was clicked. And that's it! The whole area was so silent and empty. Soon after this, my dad went back and the scooter was taken back to remove the steel guard. I was then waiting at the showroom. For half an hour, I was just indulged in thoughts. Even after paying more than a lakh Rupees for a product, the delivery experience was completely shattered. More than thinking about the delivery experience I got, I was thinking about the people who pay a huge amount to get a vehicle that might even be their first vehicle, and all their dreams getting shattered due to pathetic delivery experience. Even if the vehicle is wonderful, these kinds of experiences might make people lose trust in the dealership or even the manufacturer.

I know it is a long post, but I want all the BHPians to share your thoughts on this and how can dealerships improve the delivery experience.

Thanks for reading. Till next time!
Ciao.
Nandan_96 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 09:43   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your expectations about the car / bike delivery experience

Just get me in & out quickly . That's the main reason I either take delivery in the mornings (when the showroom opens) or off-peak times (middle of a working day).

- I am okay as long as the car is clean & ready for delivery, paperwork ready, accessories fitted properly.

- All pooja stuff should be ready. Cake or dessert are now the norm, but not mandatory. But if you give something, ensure it's of good quality.

- Don't make me wait unnecessarily because you weren't prepared or the car was ready.

I can't wait to get behind the wheels of my car so would like to spend max 1 hour in the showroom, most of it ogling at my new set of wheels. Everything else (i.e. paperwork) can be conducted simultaneously.

An exception is a luxury car delivery where I accompanied a family member. We spent about 3 hours at the showroom, but it was fun checking out all the other luxury models, there were hot meals arranged, bubbly, garlands and what not. They really went overboard. It was sheer opulence.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 10:06   #3
BHPian

I believe that the two wheeler delivery experience in India is not given much importance. No disrespect to the OP, but I guess this is standard delivery procedure for two wheelers especially commuter bikes and scooters. I have taken delivery for two scooters and one bike and on all time the delivery experience was pretty much the same or worse than as OP mentioned.

First time in 2016, I took ownership of my Blu (Activa 125 STD), forget the plastic key and photograph, the bike was cleaned and parked by the side of the road in front of the showroom and I was just handed the keys and user manual in a plastic pouch. Delivery done.

The delivery of my Dominar 400 which I purchased was taken at night around 8 PM because the dealer botched the preparation of bike and it was still dirty and without accessories when we arrived to take delivery. They got it cleaned and fitted with the basic accessories and delivered it a full 2-3 hours late. They took a photograph with the plastic key and all but in a dark corner and I was so fed up that I didn't even save that photograph.

The last two wheeler delivery I took was the Fascino 125 for my wife in 2020. This was the best delivery experience of the three and it went the same as OP mentioned in his experience sans the metal frame issue the SA handing over the key (plastic) to my wife, with I, our son and my brother witnessing it and taking photos.

For that matter, when I and my wife took delivery of our first car (Panda) along with my parents in 2017, only the SA was present and forget cake or flowers, there was no music and not even ribbons put on the car. Some random mechanic from the service station was called to take a couple of photos on our phone. In their defence, we had requested an early morning (8:30-9) delivery, but not an excuse to dial it down so low that instead of feeling that we are buying a 1.4 million rupee car, it just felt like another two wheeler delivery.

Therefore, the delivery expectations for me now are,
  • Documents properly organised and kept.
  • Vehicle washed and fitted with the selected accessories and may be a few ribbons tied and ready at the delivery bay.
  • One or two proper good quality photographs of the delivery process.
  • I can still go without the fanfare of music and cake cutting because I honestly don't expect it.
  • Someone explaining important features of the vehicle and how to operate the settings. After our car delivery, I had to figure out most of it as the SA didn't explain much. (Also, I'm not sure if I asked him for the same, so can't entirely blame him)
  • Most importantly no calling us back to the dealership for missed signature/documents/accessories fitment etc. (I haven't experienced this but I have seen it happen to a few others)

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 17th February 2024 at 10:27.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 11:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
An exception is a luxury car delivery where I accompanied a family member. We spent about 3 hours at the showroom, but it was fun checking out all the other luxury models, there were hot meals arranged, bubbly, garlands, and what not. They really went overboard. It was sheer opulence.
As you said GTO, even I don't prefer staying in the showroom for a longer time. But what matters is to make us feel special at the moment. I don't want the dealers to go overboard as happening with a luxury car delivery, but I don't want them to mess it up. I have seen many posts here where the owners have mentioned their worst delivery experience. This is irrespective of whether they are getting a car/bike. I strongly feel that all the dealerships must provide training not just for selling a vehicle, but also to have a good delivery experience. Before the delivery they must make sure all the things have been taken care of, starting from the paperwork to the overall cleanliness of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACNWYTE View Post

Therefore, the delivery expectations for me now are,
  • Documents properly organised and kept.
  • Vehicle washed and fitted with the selected accessories and may be a few ribbons tied and ready at the delivery bay.
  • One or two proper good quality photographs of the delivery process.
  • I can still go without the fanfare of music and cake cutting because I honestly don't expect it.
  • Someone explaining important features of the vehicle and how to operate the settings. After our car delivery, I had to figure out most of it as the SA didn't explain much. (Also, I'm not sure if I asked him for the same, so can't entirely blame him)
  • Most importantly no calling us back to the dealership for missed signature/documents/accessories fitment etc. (I haven't experienced this but I have seen it happen to a few others)
The list that you have mentioned is very valid BLACNWYTE. Even the basic things have been messed up by the dealers which is quite disheartening. We shell out our hard-earned money on getting the products and yet we have to face these kinds of ordeal. For me, the first impression matters a lot. A good dealership experience starts from day one when we book the vehicle. It is their responsibility to make sure their customers are happy with the overall experience. Sadly though, they don't make it a priority. Its just about the money.
Old 18th February 2024, 13:40   #5
BHPian

As others have mentioned, the delivery of a bike usually follows the same routine. There won't be any applause or grand gestures. If you're looking for that, you might need to assemble your friends in advance to handle all the celebratory stuff, like some Instagram influencers do these days. It's a bit disheartening, but yeah, that's the reality nowadays.

My expectation is like, I am actually a really introverted and shy person who is not into seeking attention. Just give me the car keys. In fact, please don't talk to me; just hand over the keys and keep all the documents inside. I will take care of everything. Let me know where I have to sign; I'll do it.

I'll ask them to remove the flower garlands and ribbon too. I feel too shy to attract a crowd, but my mom is the opposite and will be very adamant to have ribbon at least.

So, my expectation is simple: just give me the keys, show me where the car is, and I will happily go on my way, ready to give you a 5-star rating.

For a motorcycle, if you are expecting a celebration, it has to be mentioned beforehand to your SA. They will arrange things like cake cutting, colored paper poppers, glitter papers, and all kinds of gimmicks. Typically, only luxury car dealers or a select few car dealers would do that themselves. I know a few people who arranged all of it beforehand for their delivery, but it's not something the motorcycle showroom does for everyone.
raptor_diwan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 13:54   #6
BHPian

I go with zero expectations. That way, I end up being mildly surprised when things go smooth and happy when things go exceptionally well. I took delivery of an Interceptor and a Thar in 2023.
I go alone always and was happy with both deliveries. The Royal Enfield salesguy was new and this was his first Interceptor. He went overboard with the puja.
The Mahindra guys are more on the spot as they do so many deliveries in a pretty small space. So they do it very smooth and fast. As a rule, I tell them to cut out on the cake.
Attatching some pictures
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Your expectations about the car / bike delivery experience-save_20240218_135618.jpg  

Your expectations about the car / bike delivery experience-img_20230317_1224231.jpg  

Your expectations about the car / bike delivery experience-save_20240218_135613.jpg  

Your expectations about the car / bike delivery experience-img_20230317_122552.jpg  

Last edited by rajeevsulu : 18th February 2024 at 13:58.
rajeevsulu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 10:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I frequently buy cars and school buses. My delivery expectations are simple and straight forward

1. No waiting. I inform the sales people the time that I will be reaching the dealer. I also inform them that I don't want to be there beyond 20 minutes. So everything is made ready before I go there. I sign the final set of documents and we are all set for delivery. In the last 8 years I have taken deliveries of 7 cars and 3 school buses. None of the deliveries took us over 30 minutes in total.

2. Car must be properly cleaned, in and out. Garland and ribbons are a must too I don't really care about cake cutting or unveiling the car by removing a cover.

3. All accessories paid for, should be installed, properly.

4. Prayer is a must. Culturally, we always start any new endeavor with prayers. All car dealers here do prayers while delivering the car.

5. All documents should be handed over systematically before delivery.

6. Sharing sweets. I have a habit of sharing sweets to all sales teams while taking delivery. I also like to tip the sales executives generously after delivery. With UPI in action, tipping has become a very easy task. This is what i expect all buyers to do. A car is a big purchase and we do it a few times in our lives. I find it fitting to share our joy with the people in dealership on the delivery day. This also extends to ignoring minor mess ups from their part. Everything doesn't have to be perfect. But everything has to be pleasant on the D day.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th February 2024 at 10:29.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 10:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

No expectation. Give me the right information on availability, vehicle readiness, registration or other formalities and make sure you stick to it. If there is something not foreseen, inform me in advance.

Once I am there, just get me out as soon as possible. Don't mind the lack of any celebration.

I have not taken delivery of a new car in 10+ years now. I did buy a new bike, the KTM 390 Adventure last year and in my ownership report here, this is what I wrote:

Quote:
The dealership experience was what I would call 'Robotic'. Why so? It was smooth and efficient. But fairly impersonal. No sense of occasion created especially since this was the sale of the most expensive bike that KTM offers in India. I was personally ok with this and did not mind it at all. I would prefer efficiency and reliability over any pomp and show, but anyone who wants that sense of occasion, would have been disappointed.
I was out in ~45 min from the time I entered. Fairly certain that is what I would want for a car also.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 10:47   #9
Team-BHP Support

I personally prefer a delivery experience that's as less eventful as possible, and with minimum fuss. Verifying that all the documents are in order, a quick pooja, distribution of sweets and that's about it. Keep me there < one hour.

I understand and empathise entirely with those that love to make a spectacle out of the delivery event, but it's just not for me.

Here's a related thread (Gift for Sales attendant at Car Delivery time) that has made for an interesting discussion.
Old 19th February 2024, 10:56   #10
BHPian

You got handed a big plastic key? I never ever got it even that. We bought baleno 2020, Indigo 2012, pulsar 150 2011, I never saw any big key being given to us. Heck it didn’t even happened to any relatives of mine when they bought Celerio 2014 or hero Duet in 2015.

Anyways, new two wheeler delivery is usually plain and not so blingy, mainly because more two wheelers are sold through a dealership than cars through a car dealership.

They might make it exception for you if you state them beforehand citing surprise for family member.

Anyways, congratulations for your new ride. Safe drives.
Old 19th February 2024, 11:05   #11
BHPian

Delivery day expectations would be different for different people however in the end we are just buying a commodity like say a toy from a toy shop and I like to keep it purely transactional. Many would think we are paying 6-7-8-9 digit commodity but the fact is that it is the general value of the product in the segment it trades and nothing like it's available for half the rate somewhere else and the rest what we pay is for delivery experience.

For the showroom people it's just a normal transaction and any celebrations organized by them would be out of a set checklist prepared based on customer expectations of that area / past continuing customs of the segment they are dealing with / new trend add ons which to be honest is a complete formality. Also with Muhurat and Puja, on few days when deliveries are high if any one customer takes too much time it creates huge inconvenience for other customers and showroom people.

My preference is to keep expectations bare minimum, provide me a clean product and get formalities done in minimum time, I am happy to drive off. We always have a choice to celebrate at home or any other place the way we want post delivery.
ghtg1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 12:57   #12
BHPian

Delivery expecations are personal in my view. I like to echo @GTO's view here. Get in, complete paperwork and get the car / bike in as little time as possible.

As someone who is slightly superstious, I prefer to take it within the 1 hour slot where the muhurat is happening on that particular day.

I would expect the dealer to complete all the PDI checks, wash / polish / clean the car and ensure the buyer is getting a good first hand experience of the new vehicle.

I would love the delivery person to have more knowledge about the features of the car and not blurt out what he has been given in paper. Ideally I would love the OEMs to come with short videos for things to learn before you take delivery, getting used to the vehicle and more importantly short videos about hte features of the vehicle
Old 19th February 2024, 13:06   #13
BHPian

Personally speaking, I prefer a low key delivery without excessive pomp and show. For me the important factors are a clean car with all accessories (if opted for); a knowledgeable rep to give a walk through; and all documentation.

I’ve had good experiences with Nexa, Hyundai, Fiat, and Bajaj. However my bar for a good delivery experience is set rather low.
Old 19th February 2024, 14:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandan_96 View Post
She checked and informed me that it would take half an hour to remove it. Since my dad had to go, I told her to hand over the key to my father and I would wait for half an hour. She asked me to wait for 5 minutes. This is the part that made me write this post. In the 5 minutes she asked me to wait, I was thinking in my mind that the sales manager and a few people from the sales team would accompany us and hand over the key with a few claps. As I was daydreaming about this scene, my sales executive came with a big plastic key and asked me to give the phone to a person standing nearby to take a photo. The key was given and the photo was clicked. And that's it! The whole area was so silent and empty.
While I understand your disappointment, here's some tough love- you were expecting too much from the dealership. In my opinion , they did a good job with the delivery.

Reality check- You were made to wait the minimum amount of time for the delivery (5 mins), they accepted their crash guard mistake and fixed it within 30 mins and also handed over a ceremonial plastic key cut out during delivery. If that's not a good delivery for a fast moving product, then I don't know what it is.

Think yourself - why would the delivery experience of a 1+ lakh scooter be any different than the delivery of a 1+ lakh iPhone? Forget ceremony, most people get the phone home delivered via Flipkart. For business, the cost of goods is the same and not worth the additional time/money investment (the scooter probably has smaller margins than an iPhone Pro)

If you want a special experience, then you can always ask the dealer. You might have to pay for it though as it's not worth the time and their money for the dealer , neither can they provide a single customer with a special treatment for no special reason.

Finally (With all due respect, and on a funny note) I can't help guess the look on your face if you were to buy a brand new Tesla model 3/Y ,abroad.

4 months back , when I helped a friend take delivery of his Tesla Model Y (it was the first car delivery of his life) - all we got as the ceremony was the key card being handed over, the parking bay number where we had to pick the car up and 1 word - Congratulations.

When we walked 10 mins to the parking bay, where we found that the "ready to go" car didn't have number plates. That was fixed in 5 mins after we walked another 10 mins back to the delivery centre and informed them. No drama, no apologies exchanged, we took our own sweet time to inspect and understand the car and we checked out way after their closing time (for which they didn't do any drama either, as they had closed the exit gate already)- we're talking about a INR 50 lakh car and if this happened in India, the sales guy probably would be lynched.

The good thing is that I had set his expectation right, though he was a bit dejected at that moment. A week back though , he tells me how much he loves his Tesla Model Y. The delivery experience has been long forgotten.

Ditto for my Honda City and Honda CB Trigger, both of which were delivered in Kerala, around a decade ago (key and the vehicle were handed over in a silent ceremony). Didn't spoil my trust on Honda and we would still buy another one when the need be

Last edited by govindremesh : 19th February 2024 at 14:30.
govindremesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 14:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know it is a long post, but I want all the BHPians to share your thoughts on this and how can dealerships improve the delivery experience.

Thanks for reading. Till next time!
Ciao.
Well, that's how two wheeler specially commuter deliveries are. Unless its a flagship which usually are north of 5-6L atleast or an absolute new launch(again usually 250cc+ bikes), don't expect any hooplah. No offence meant but that's how it is.

Quote:
Hello Folks!
Even after paying more than a lakh Rupees for a product, the delivery experience was completely shattered.
Probably you haven't kept up with two-wheeler prices lately. Even a super splendor costs ~1L or more on-road now. And they sell 1000s of those daily.

Last edited by SoumenD : 19th February 2024 at 14:54.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks