Home Delivery 102 29.82%
Showroom Delivery 240 70.18%
Voters: 342. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2024, 17:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota cars to be dispatched to dealerships on flatbeds

Some cons of door delivery.

1) Sir, door is locked! Just Kidding - but what if really you are not at home, truck comes at a much later than agreed slot.

2) We are used to seeing cars flying off glass walls from first floor or belly up inside showroom grounds - hope people dont fall off the flat bed in the name of 'aare driver, dont touch my beige steering wheel, I am a pro in reversing of a 45' inclined bed'. I personally have driven on & off a few flat beds, LCs and Raptors, It is NOT a easy and comfortable thing to do.

3) Loading/Unloading damages - who is to pay? Mistakes can happen.

4) New car unloaded, before you know all the kids and 'new' found friendly neighbours go, 'aare Ramesh, ek round leke chalo na', 'Wow Suresh, let me go for a round na' - meanwhile 4-6 soccer soaked & dusty kids (friends of your kids) jumping inside your car going 'abe, you did not tell you are getting a new car today'.

5) Last but not the least - 'who are you?' - 'Sir, your new car' - 'Wait, what?!'

Toyota cars to be dispatched to dealerships on flatbeds-hummus.jpg

I would still prefer showroom delivery - India or anywhere in the world. Somethings are to be meant to be. For people who cannot or do not want to be seen in a public showroom, say 'THE 1%' of the society, this idea may be appealing to them.

Last edited by svsantosh : 15th February 2024 at 17:28.
svsantosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 17:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
The doorstep delivery service will be a no-cost option for customers
I personally prefer showroom delivery. My initial thought was who needs this? And then, I realized that my family once took delivery of a new car in my absence and my dad was not too confident on driving the new car back home. We had to get hold of a driver from the showroom (since it was closing time, turned out to be pretty difficult), bring the car home, drop him off again, etc. All these could have been avoided if a service such as this was in place back then.

But hey, as long as it remains an option, this is a win-win for both the customer and the dealer/manufacturer in my books.

Last edited by furyrider : 15th February 2024 at 17:57. Reason: Typo
furyrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 17:59   #18
BHPian

My heart would be in my mouth watching my brand new car being unloaded from a flatbed! That's the only reason I voted for a Showroom delivery. However, it is a practical option no doubt. Last year I traveled nearly 200 miles by train to pick up a (used) Mazda 3 from Durham and drove back to Cambridge.

I'm now thinking this would be a damn good option to get a new car delivered to an already crowded temple (for its initial Pooja) instead of my residence :P
Old 15th February 2024, 18:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have experienced both the ways, and I still prefer the old school way of doing my personal PDI and then taking delivery. I hope this was in one of the voting options.

Showroom Delivery taken -> Tata Nano (Tata Nano Twist XT: 4-year ownership report), Maruti Suzuki Baleno, Renault Triber (Ownership Review of my Renault Triber RXZ (Electric Blue)), (True Value) Maruti Suzuki A-Star, Maruti Suzuki S-Presso (Feb 2024)

Home Delivery taken -> Ola S1 Air (My 2023 Ola S1 Air Midnight Blue | Ownership Review of SAIR)

Unlike Toyota's free of cost Home Delivery option mentioned above, I paid ₹999 for Ola's home delivery. I am thankful that my S1 Air didn't have scratched body paint, or any panel alignment issues.

But I went all the way from Kalimpong to Siliguri in an early morning bus for my In-Laws, to do their PDI, and to drive up their S-Presso last week, just to ensure that we do not get a 2023 model, or a refurbished product from the showroom.

So, I am still old school to the vehicle Home Delivery concept, even though I have had a good experience with Ola in that regard, just in October 2023.

P.S. The Aria (Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4) was picked up from the seller's home directly, and didn't have any showroom or home delivery experience whatsoever.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 19:45   #20
BHPian

Great idea, but! will the car be ready to deliver?

1. Will the car be washed and interior cleaned?
2. Will it have all the accessories installed as I requested earlier?
3. Though they claim no additional charges, what if there is a handling charges already hidden in the invoice?
Old 15th February 2024, 19:50   #21
BHPian

Voted for Showroom delivery

Like others said, paper or incorrect work, delivery inspection, and missing accessories are all problems in Indian car dealerships. Also, the fun element of taking the family along, and unveiling the car are all moments to cherish which is better to do at the showroom. Not everyone has the convenience and space for home delivery of cars.

I'd never opt for home delivery of such an expensive item.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 20:12   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

If it isn't delivered straight from the factory to my home, why even bother with home delivery?

It is not for periodic services, delivery is once in a lifetime thingy. Why change that? Ofcourse, have never had a fancy showroom delivery with the balloons, cakes and chocolates stuff nor do we desire it. Ones we had were simple hand over the key and drive away ones.

That said, this would be a great option to those who want their cars delivered at home due to various reasons. Better flatbed than a dealer driver risking it. Otherwise better to remove one 'step' where chance of damage can be done to a car in the journey from factory to customer's home.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 22:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Showroom delivery. It gives a sense of occasion. I also don't like the attention of flatbed delivering the car. Also, I can refuse to take the delivery until I am satisfied which probably is difficult with the home delivery.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 09:42   #24
BHPian

Voted for Showroom delivery.

I would suggest the car be taken from dealership yard to showroom in a flatbed to avoid any risks. That would give a lot of peace of mind. For eg., I got my Adrenox app enabled even before going to the showroom for delivery and in the app I could see the dealership driver driving my XUV at 100 km/hr. Unwanted headache.

On the other side, home delivery would attract lot of attention and particularly in apartment kind of set up it will only add a lot of chaos. Enjoy your proud moment with going to the showroom with your loved ones, doing the traditional pooja and take the delivery.

Some traditions should never change.

Now I am thinking from a middle class mindset and penned the above lines.

If I was part of the Elite class people or a celebrity with palatial homes, private garages and high compound walls which gives maximum privacy, i might probably want the Home delivery as well.
Old 16th February 2024, 10:07   #25
BHPian

I voted Home delivery.

This is much simpler. Most of the time, the customer knows more about the car and features than the SA. The setup of telematics apps can be sone over calls or WhatsApp. The only negative is that customer will not have the pride of taking delivery from the dealership and the associated clapping and cheering and photos.

Delivery of documents and can be done through a courier. So it is simpler to do home delivery IMO Most importantly, this will not the default option for all brands. For a Toyota or Honda I’ll take this. For others it will be showroom delivery.

Regards,
Lsjey

Last edited by lsjey : 16th February 2024 at 10:08.
Old 16th February 2024, 10:47   #26

I would prefer showroom delivery.

I still remember the sheer excitement of knowing we are getting a new car when we took a cab to the showroom and the anticipation of when I can get into the car for the first time
SpaceInfinite is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 11:09   #27
BHPian

In our family we have a superstition that if the car reaches home from the showroom safely without any incident, then that vehicle is a keeper for a long time.

Though I voted for home delivery, I am still vary of the fact that dealer might damage the car while loading the car from the dealership itself.

Is there an option to check the loading of the car at the dealership personally, and get it delivered at the home and be there to watch it unload as well?
Old 16th February 2024, 12:05   #28
BHPian

Voted for Showroom delivery. Buying a new car is always an exciting event in a person's life. The family gets involved, if there are kids - they may like some celebration and token of gifts from showroom. Besides, a showroom delivery also establishes a connection with the dealer staff and it can help later if there are minor issues and we need their attention.

Also, not all homes may be situated in areas with wide roads for the transport truck to arrive and deliver the car. Any traffic bottlenecks in the area lead to unwanted attention, issues etc. In such situations, some open area with approachable roads need to be identified. The car has to be delivered there and the owner has to drive it to their home.
The experience may not always turn out to be pleasant.

Showroom delivery for me any day. All my new cars have been from showroom only.
Old 16th February 2024, 12:14   #29
BHPian

Voted for showroom:

The romance, and for some good luck, of letting your better-half be the first one to drive the car on delivery (even if just for few meters). Lady luck is extremely important you see

Plus its about the whole experience. On delivery day, the air of excitement in the house, family getting ready and moving out, the uncontrollable smiles and laughs as we near the showroom, the nervousness (what if something goes wrong), that collective momentary stunned silence of the family on catching the first glimpse of the shining beauty, decked up and ready to be welcomed in the family.

Oh common, how can we miss all this
Old 16th February 2024, 13:15   #30
BHPian

Voted for showroom delivery:

For me its an occasion, and we anyways head out for food/celebration and a commemorative short trip (like the car's first road trip).I would have it no other way.

But i think many people would like this. My Father isn't a petrol head and thinks cars are just a means of transportation and doesn't really emotionally attaches to them. He thinks flat bed deliveries of new cars is a great idea, saves you the hassle of traveling, or a staff member driving your car through traffic.Don't have to sit through the entire showroom singing, dancing and clapping while you uncover the car you have already done a PDI on. He finds it very odd.

also, a great initiative if you have social anxiety or just super busy in life. Book online, pay via phone, car delivered at home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks