Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2024, 15:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Jimny sales tank 78% in Jan 2024; only 163 cars sold

Maruti Suzuki Jimny sales have crashed in the first month of 2024, from 730 units in December 2023 to just 163 units last month. That is a drop of 78%.

Maruti Jimny sales tank 78% in Jan 2024; only 163 cars sold-2023marutijimny01-2-1.jpg

The Jimny was launched in June 2023. Since then, Maruti has sold 16,369 units of the Jimny. For the first three months, the carmaker sold around 3300 units on average. However, Jimny's sales have been steadily declining since September last year. 2,651 cars were sold during the month of September, which dropped to 1,852 units in October and 1,020 units in November.

Maruti Jimny sales tank 78% in Jan 2024; only 163 cars sold-screenshot-20240214-151026.jpg

The Maruti Jimny goes up against the Mahindra Thar in the Indian market. On average, Mahindra has been selling around 5,473 units of the Thar every month, which is a decent number considering its niche positioning in the market. In January 2024, Mahindra sold 6,059 units of the Thar. That’s 5,896 units more than the Jimny.

Maruti Suzuki introduced the Jimny Thunder Edition in December. Prices were slashed by Rs 2 lakh in a bid to revive sales, which doesn’t seem to have worked given its dismal sales performance in January 2024.

Source: Autopunditz

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 15:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny sales tank 78% in Jan 2024; only 163 cars sold

Maruti should accept that it is a "lifestyle offroader" and not a "premium offroader". They should simply move it to Arena with a better price point. If there's anyone who can sell a flop model and turn it into an overnight star, is Maruti (Versa to Eeco).

There's no WOW factor with Jimny. To a layman, with this boring engine, it is simply a Brezza with 4X4 hardware.
amtak is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 16:26   #3

My driving experience with the Jimny was extremely unappealing! It just doesn't serve any need of the consumer fully.

Style - One could pick up the Thar Petrol Auto RWD which has a more Macho appearance & presence.
Comfort + features + Space - Crossovers or Sedans do a much better job
Offroading ability - with the underpowered engine & only 300mm water wading, the Thar Petrol is still a much superior option for an offroading enthusiast

If only Jimny had launched with a much more powerful engine it would have done much better in the Indian Market.

The Jimny makes pure sense only for those whose major buying factor is a "small" off-roader under 18 lakhs.
Marengo is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 17:41   #4
BHPian

Not surprising since anyone who wanted a compact 4x4 might have already bought one (thanks to the Year end offer). This might even taper into two digits soon enough. Not sure even price cuts will help - this is a niche vehicle. It is not exciting to drive, has no road presence (unless one mods it heavily) - all it has is off-roading prowess. I respect Maruti's decision to stick to 4x4 variants only - I'm sure the owners would appreciate that.

I should probably hide somewhere after making this statement: I might have been tempted to buy one if it wasn't a 4x4 with a powertrain suited for just off-roading. I mean look at what Tata is marketing with their Punch EV - that is all mango people like me would ever need. Give me that without the niggles; a fun turbo petrol mated to a reliable but modern TC. Not the dinosaur inside the current Jimny (sorry no offence, I'm the polar opposite of their target audience). My brother has one and he loves it for what it is; takes the car every weekend to some remote hill and comes back with a wide grin. So hats off to Maruti for launching Jimny without diluting what is stands for. I'm sure it will follow its predecessors path and it will find takers elsewhere - not to forget exports.
thomahawk is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 17:45   #5
BHPian

Over the years before Jimny was launched, we used to complain why Suzuki is not introducing Jimny & many of us wrote - if it were to be launched, we would definitely buy one.

I believe that when Jimny was finally launched in the market - Thar had already established itself and it would be too difficult to displace Thar with its engine line up, the overall package (kudos to Mahindra - they have come a long way). Even today, Jimny is a head turner in the green shade, much more visually appealing than the Thar, but the competition (the SUV segment as a whole) has moved on to better interiors, better engines, in addition to the perceived real estate value for the money.

Also, we Bhpians do not necessarily reflect the intent or interest of the mass majority of the consumers. We are only enthusiasts. Not sure what Suzuki can do to revive Jimny's fate, but I do hope they don't see this as a deterrent to bring in other enthusiast products in the future
aayusht is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 17:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
If there's anyone who can sell a flop model and turn it into an overnight star, is Maruti (Versa to Eeco).

There's no WOW factor with Jimny. To a layman, with this boring engine, it is simply a Brezza with 4X4 hardware.
Agreed if this was priced at 9.9L ex showroom this will sell like hot cakes. Sadly the top heads at Maruti got greedy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
Over the years before Jimny was launched, we used to complain why Suzuki is not introducing Jimny & many of us wrote - if it were to be launched, we would definitely buy one.
I love the Jimny ! But at the current asking price its just a tad too much! 9.9 would have been the sweet spot!

Last edited by Captain Slow : 14th February 2024 at 17:47.
Captain Slow is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 17:45   #7
BHPian

The pricing really killed this. In Pune the starting price for the Base version MT is about 15 lacs OTR. That's a ridiculous price when there are other models offering so much more. The starting price, OTR for the base model should have been in the Brezza Territory. But someone at Maruti got greedy given the hype surrounding the car. If the prices are slashed, this car would have so many more takers.

Last edited by Indraneel Bhat : 14th February 2024 at 17:48. Reason: typo correction
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 17:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Jimny was, is and will continue to be a niche offering.
Historically if you look at it: Jimny-Santana(Jimny's name once upon a time in Spain)-Samurai, SJ410 never set the sales chart on fire.
It was always known as a basic, rugged, simple-to-work-on, easy to service, reliable 4x4 which was capable of hauling the fertiliser sacks from your slushy farm trails to the market.
It was always an honest, down to earth, thoroughbred, pint sized four wheel drive with genuine off roading capabilities.

And it will continue to remain so.

Unfortunately, in India that will not work. The technical maturity of our mass market buyers are low, to understate the case.
In our country, the middle-aged-pot-bellied-folks like me, who used to dote on Gypsy's and thrashed them at rallies, know what the Jimny is all about and will pick one up without batting an eyelid. And the cabbies up in the hills of North India, North Bengal, North East: who want to buy but cannot because of the steep pricing.

The "Internet-Inside" generation will not like this car.
It does not have the testosterone dripping looks or the road presence of the Thar.
It does not have a "hole-in-the-roof"(read that as sunroof), it has a long-winded woolly steering, a lazy, long travel suspension and a typical "lumpy" body on frame ride over sharp undulations at low speeds. Plus it will not even seat 5 people. So what, if it has brilliant visibility, superb wheel articulation, an extremely tractable low end, a smooth fuelling, a very well judged manual gearbox with well spaced ratios,(including the low ratios)? That will not cut much ice in India.

The new crop of youngsters will never spend more than a million rupees to buy this automobile.
They are incapable of fathoming or utilising the deep capabilities of this chassis.
Finger light steering, INOX like screens doubling up as instrument clusters, ambient lighting pulsating to music, plush leather wrapped interiors, that is what attracts the proverbial moths to the flame.

Maruti will now concentrate on exports. As it is margins are much better on that front. On the domestic front they will probably make the Jimny made to order, like the Gypsy.
Maruti may also push CSD sales and Defence sales, not as a combat vehicle but as a Staff Car.
For the hillybillies and cabbies, a stripped out Sigma variant at a lower price point can potentially bring in some numbers.
And why doesn't Maruti put it on sale through ARENA? They did it with the Brezza. What is the harm in not doing it?

I am happy. The Jimny, (nee Gypsy), is dead. Long live the Jimny.
arjab is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 18:09   #9
BHPian

Another Jimny thread on the forum. Yey!

This is one car for which people who dislike it as well pour in their comments. I personally don't even open the threads about cars that I'm not interested in.
That is how Jimny pulls the heart's strings.

I don't think Maruti will do anything to revive the sales. It will not be feasible for them to sell it at lower price. Even if they do make some attempt, it will just end up as another thread here with people giving marketing suggestions.

Maruti should just continue selling it at the list price and made to order. Rest they can export.

I'm very happy that Jimny will remain unique in our market!
I'm not even seeing a display vehicle nowadays in the showroom.

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th February 2024 at 18:13. Reason: Typo and spacing corrections
Way2Jimny is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 18:09   #10
BHPian

Another Jimny sales/pricing thread, with pretty much the same old points.

Crazy discounts did help MSIL clear their inventory, but by now, even they would have realised that it’s not going to capture significant volumes even at a slashed price. Makes more sense for them to switch to a made-to-order model in India and focus production where there’s a six-month wait and no competition from Thar due to design copyright issues. Keep slashing prices, and they risk diluting Jimny’s appeal even amongst the lifestyle/off-roading segment. I saw a video of a CNGed Jimny recently.
Biraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 18:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

A blast (there is another word for it) albeit small one from the past had arrived into the market and it has reached the logical conclusion.

As BHPian cool_dube would put it "Going by what I read, I'd define the Jimny as a more easy-to-live-with Gypsy - nothing more nothing less".

When Gypsy was on sale it was doing ~5000 Units a year, the only consolation is that Gypsy as a brand is not destroyed, Maruti can create a ground up new Gypsy for our market - Make in India and Make for India.
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 19:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Another Jimny sales/pricing thread, with pretty much the same old points.

Keep slashing prices, and they risk diluting Jimny’s appeal even amongst the lifestyle/off-roading segment. I saw a video of a CNGed Jimny recently.
Very true. Someone at Maruti has realised this and the discounts have been officially revoked.

Too bad I missed the chance in December

I had enquired about the Jimny prices (OTR Noida) a few days back, I was told:
  • 2024 Model Zeta MT - 15.5 OTR. 50k discount possible
    For reference - in December 2023, this was retailed at ~12.5 OTR
  • 2023 Model Zeta MT (if in stock) - 13.5 OTR post discounts
This is at their Nexa Noida sec 10 showroom.
Nexa Akshardham have no 2023 stock left. Minimal discounts on 2024 model units.

The salespersons at both dealership did say that, 2024 model stock levels are building up at the dealer level & that customers loudly complain about having to shell out a Rs ~2L premium compared to december.
They also suggested I wait till march end. Both dealers are expecting Maruti to announce a Rs ~1L discount.
blueberry is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 20:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
It's true. But we wanted the original 3 door Jimny and at a more realistic price. Not much difference in internal space, looks better, better turning radius and articulation/nimbleness (?) And slightly lower weight for slightly better power to weight ratio and slightly better mileage.
Ideally a better engine and gearbox would have helped a lot but that was unlikely until the next gen most probably. The 1.5L mild hybrid 6 speed TC from the Brezza would have sweetened the deal.
Mortis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 20:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Monthly dispatches comparison with Mahindra Thar since launch in June 2023.
Puritans may state these two can't be compared, however these come up as lifestyle vehicles in current context.

Maruti Jimny sales tank 78% in Jan 2024; only 163 cars sold-dispatches_comparo_jimny_thar_2nd-graph.jpg

If Jimny sales need to be compared differently, how were monthly sales of Gypsy a year before it was discontinued?
Perhaps, that demands digging older threads from BS3 era. It would be interesting to see if Gypsy monthly sales/dispatches were consistent 4 digit figures.

On a different level, other 2 Maruti Suzuki models with 3 digit monthly figures are Ciaz and Invicto.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th February 2024 at 09:30. Reason: Corrected graph added
sukiwa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 20:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

I believe almost 40- 50% of the total sales have come from bhpians. Now that bhpians and other enthusiasts have got their cars, sales numbers are falling.

But I didn't expect such a poor response. Maybe it's the pricing that's holding back a few more enthusiasts from getting it (only enthusiasts would buy this car, normal walk in customers won't).

I think msil should bite the bullet, introduce stripped down variants, and reduce the price of all variants to more realistic levels. As a consolation to folks who bought the car at regular high price earlier, a free extended warranty and additional perks can be offered.

Also, msil would now focus more on exports as that ensures utilisation of the assembly line and steady revenue. I only hope they don't pull the jimny altogether from the domestic market !
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks