Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2024, 12:43   #106

Re: Maruti Jimny sales tank 78% in Jan 2024; only 163 cars sold

This is from a Jimmy owner(5-door version !). It is fabulous to drive and I am sure it will stay with me forever, just like its ‘grandfather’ Gypsy has been. Rest of the comparison and the reports of Jimmy not setting sales charts aglow is pointless noise to me, so long as Maruti provides its buyers the peace of mind of spares and maintenance.
Sundaram6 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 12:59   #107
BHPian

Sales numbers do not depict the rational reality, but the emotions of the buyer,
I agree that most of the THAR sold have not seen a basic off-road track however the purchase decisions are not based on utility. In India, SUV means showoff, power projection, aspirational/ prestigious feel and Jimny is no where close to Thar in these parameters. I am pretty sure that most of the Thar owners have no idea about breakover angle, MLD types, how differential works, angle of approach/ departure.

Jimny is a failure because suzuki failed in understanding how an Indian car (SUV) buyer thinks and not because of what its capabilities are.

They should have launched brezza+ edition with 4x4, larger tyres, higher GC and with large roof-rails and a lot of cladding for sales

Last edited by Asoon : 13th March 2024 at 13:02.
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 14:36   #108
BHPian

2 base models Petrol Jimny on the way!!. Ordered these for work purposes, to go where others cant go and at the revised prices, its a steal compared to other 4X4 models under 20L. The other vehicles ordered by the office this lot is A Hyundai Alcazar, A Bolero Neo, Scorpio-N Z6!
Old 13th March 2024, 14:54   #109
BHPian

Maruti messed up the pricing and equipment on the Jimny. Worst of all, they messed up the engine. It is way too underpowered for the kind of lifestyle that the Jimny aspires to offer. The other mistake is that it was pinned against the mighty Thar which outshined it across multiple parameters. If MUL updated the engine, removed some of the quirks, added some features and reduces the price, they may just save the Jimny else maybe need to look at the Toyota stable for something better.
Old 13th March 2024, 18:46   #110
BHPian

Here in my hometown discounts of 3 lakhs are running now for 2023 manual alpha and Zeta variants. No automatic though.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny sales tank 78% in Jan 2024; only 163 cars sold-screenshot_2024031118184715_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg  

Last edited by Nanolover : 13th March 2024 at 18:48.
Nanolover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 18:49   #111
Senior - BHPian

Maruti should accept that the Jimny will appeal only select group of buyers who will appreciate the car for what it is. So they need to focus on building an ecosystem around it. They already have a better customer reach, so why not use it at their advantage.

- Tie up with off-roading equipment manufacturers or life-style brands that will make the owners feel special.
- Make the warranty policy a bit mod-friendly.
- Launch the 3 door bare-bones version and let people modify it incrementally as per their liking, with Maruti approved accessories.
- Organize training events for owners on off-roading. Include trainings on how to do common trouble-shooting which will help people understand and appreciate how easy it is to fix the engine without complicated turbos.
- Advertise off-beaten roads near cities for owners. Everybody knows Himalayas is 'the' place to take this car, but no one can go there every time. There are so many roads for example, close to Pune and Mumbai, that can be utilized fully only by vehicles like these.

Even after doing all the above, they should not expect a meteoric rise in sales. It will only pave way for a bigger, powerful off-roader in the future that can challenge the Mahindra Thar, a car which they don't have currently.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 13th March 2024 at 20:59. Reason: Minor typo, thanks.
Old 13th March 2024, 18:56   #112
BHPian

Jimny is a fantastic little UV, its capabilities are well-documented and nothing short of legendary. Period.

However, it is no secret that it has turned out to be a sales dud big time. I'm surprised that people who like Jimny kind of look down on those who criticize the vehicle for whatever qualities they find worthy of criticism, with pricing being one that is properly right up there in the pecking order.

My question is simple- Aren't manufacturers, be it A, B, or C, supposed to cater to what the market demands? Be it pricing, positioning, features list, or any aspect of a vehicle. Each and every automobile market in the world has its own dimensions, and India is no different. I don't want to debate on what an average Joe in our country can afford or not. However, we should not discount the fact that India is one of the biggest markets, and it is still growing at a very good pace.

If manufacturers expect consumers to lap up whatever they want to offer at their price, this is a very good case study on how a marketing strategy can go wrong big time when you take things for granted. If Maruti or anyone claims that 5-door Jimny is purely meant for a niche market and they are happy with whatever they are retailing currently, I don't think there can be a bigger contradiction than this, especially given the fat discounts that were and are on offer. Jimny is an enthusiast's vehicle, no doubt. However, enthusiasm doesn't necessarily equate to price insensitivity, does it?
Emvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 21:03   #113
BHPian

I worked at a remote location with villages all around. Every year we had a road safety poster/ drawing competition for school children from these remote villages. What shocked me was that the children drew cars which looked like Presso, Ignis, Jimny, Van, Celerio, Wagon R, Ertiga etc without having seen them plying. All boxy looking cars. I thought why pay so much for designs when these children can design better. It goes on to show how much Maruti pays for these kinds of designs. The result is the sales figures of these cars.
Old 14th March 2024, 08:09   #114
BHPian

Given the kind of sales Maruti is used to for almost every product of theirs, the disastrous numbers of Jimny will never go down well. We are commenting from a users perspective about Jimny being a niche product. If it does not bring in the moolah, it doesn’t make sense to continue selling it.

Of the Top 20 cars on sale, Maruti commands 50% share.

Maruti Jimny sales tank 78% in Jan 2024; only 163 cars sold-img_1886.jpeg

And to be honest, the “gap” which Maruti thought to have identified regarding Indian consumers looking for a 5 door version against a 3 door was actually a wall, which Jimny has banged into.

The gap was to launch their 3 door version.

Last edited by Old_Salt : 14th March 2024 at 08:12.
Old 14th March 2024, 11:54   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I'm surprised that people who like Jimny kind of look down on those who criticize the vehicle for whatever qualities they find worthy of criticism, with pricing being one that is properly right up there in the pecking order.
Exactly my friend! This is what irked me. What I presented (Maruti Jimny sales tank 78% in Jan 2024; only 163 cars sold) was a Thar owner's perspective and the factor's that contributed to his cancellation of the Jimny booking, and which ultimately contributed to the tank in sales of the Jimny, which is the topic of this thread.

What ensued were some posts that were trying to condescend Thar and stereotype it's owners. Now whether a vehicle is used in a baarat or to bully others or flaunt one's muscles, it's the owner's way of expression. It is their property and they have full freedom to use it for whatever purpose they find it suitable. It doesn't make either the vehicle or the owner inferior in any way as put by some posts here.

Last edited by vprao : 14th March 2024 at 11:55.
vprao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 13:05   #116
BHPian

Everytime I see the Jimny 3 Door version, I get even more convinced that the impractical 3 Door version is such a well proportioned looker. It gets too many eyeballs of "I wish I had that" people whereas the more practical 5-Door version looks terribly compromised.
Animesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 15:21   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprao View Post
Now whether a vehicle is used in a baarat or to bully others or flaunt one's muscles, it's the owner's way of expression. It is their property and they have full freedom to use it for whatever purpose they find it suitable. It doesn't make either the vehicle or the owner inferior in any way as put by some posts here.
Way offtopic.

But the expression and freedom goes both ways. Even if four out of ten such owners bully others on road or flaunt muscles on the road, the rest six will have to live with the image created. Many of us, including me, will blame autorickshaws and motorcycles for poor lane manners and overall driving behaviour, but observe closely, the vast majority of motorcycles and autorickshaws behave properly on the road. But the actions of a few will create a negative impression on others.

If the owner wants to bully others or flaunt one's muscles , it is their freedom. Same way, the ones at the receiving end will form strong opinions of their own. it is their freedom. Doesn't mean the product is bad, but any negative image created will be thanks to the users.
DicKy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 10:16   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Here in my hometown discounts of 3 lakhs are running now for 2023 manual alpha and Zeta variants. No automatic though.
Could you please share the showroom or sale rep details?
Old 24th March 2024, 12:40   #119
BHPian

Simple (my)Logic, If some maruti vehicle is not blazing the sales chart means it is a damn good vehicle.

More than 90% of this type of vehicles are never going to leave the bitumen road and venture into muddly, slushy, offroad trails.

The requirement of everybody differs, for example If I am looking for a second vehicle, Jimny will be in top priority

* Good visibility all around so better half can drive without any leftside judgement issues

* Easy maneoverability in city, with an option of AT for stress free city & long rides

* Compact Size & Lighter Build as it is going to be mostly driven in city

* Good GC with above normal suspension (superior when compared to the competition) & ready to take on any terrain

* 5 Doors with enough room for family & things

* Fuzz free service & parts availability

* Being Practical, No unnecessary, confusing techs or things which we never use in the lifetime

Icing on the cake :- Globally praised product, Unlimited modification options & the tag of MG

Once in a while when some awesome or niche product oozes our of tightly packed product lineup of MS - people simply have Jalan !
Thyag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 11:39   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Top cars exported in Feb-24, Jimny in top 3!

Maruti Jimny sales tank 78% in Jan 2024; only 163 cars sold-screenshot-20240328-113851.png
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks