Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2024, 21:35   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny sales tank 78% in Jan 2024; only 163 cars sold

We have in all 47 threads on the Jimny including the oldest one from October 2007, where the post #9 reads:-

Quote:
No point in launching the Jimny I guess, outdated by todays standards and pretty small and cramped...
The thread:-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...new-gypsy.html (Jimny the new Gypsy?)

While price corrections can happen again and again, but with its present design there are constraints and not much can be done by MSIL to improvise its road presence.

The 47 threads some with numerous posts here since 2007 show how much adrenaline the Jimny has generated amongst us all. Let us hope MSIL with its 40 years in the market, uses it effectively to save the Jimny from becoming a MSIL Lemon.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th February 2024 at 21:37.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 21:41   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Numbers are monthly dispatch numbers for that vehicle, source is monthly sales threads on forum and Autopunditz.com for January 2024 data. I have chosen time frame from launch of Jimny i.e. June 2023 till January 2024.
This is fine. However,

Quote:
Nope, Orange line shows only Thar sales.
As others have pointed out, this plot is wrong. The orange like is not to scale. For example, In August 23, Thar sales number in your plot are 5951. And in Jan 24, it is 6059. But the graph line is dipping down, showing 6059 as smaller than 5951.

In fact, 6059 of Jan 24 is shown even below 3899 of June 23.

In other words, the numbers 5xxx of June 23 and August 23 are shown above the 9000 line on Y-axis. This is obviously not correct. Or maybe misleading.

So clearly something is wrong with the trendline of Thar data. The data numbers mentioned and the line plotted have no correlation.

I think this is what the others were trying to say. Hope we are not missing something. Just wanted to check. Thanks!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 14th February 2024 at 21:48.
Dr.AD is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 21:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
This is at their Nexa Noida sec 10 showroom.
Nexa Akshardham have no 2023 stock left. Minimal discounts on 2024 model units.
Check with Nexa, Sector 63, Noida. If they have MY 23 stock, negotiate liberally. The showroom manager there is a friendly chap. You can take my reference if required.
Biraj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 21:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
As others have pointed out, this plot is wrong.
I overlooked Thar graph line as I was checking Jimny line.
I realized that MS Excel plots graph line differently when using 'Stacked line with markers' Vs 'Line with markers'. I am sharing revised graph below.

Maruti Jimny sales tank 78% in Jan 2024; only 163 cars sold-dispatches_comparo_jimny_thar_2nd-graph.jpg

Quote:
The data numbers mentioned and the line plotted have no correlation.

I think this is what the others were trying to say. Hope we are not missing something. Just wanted to check. Thanks!
Agree. We aren't missing anything, I just relied on tool bit too much.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 22:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
The blue line shows the Jimny sales whereas orange line shows the cumulative sales of Jimny+Thar.
You are right, the Orange line shows the cumulatave sales of Thar + Jimny. It's easy if one adds the numericals for That and Jimney. For e.g., 3891+3071 = 6962 so orange line shows around 7k . Similarly for last month, 6059+163=6222, orange line is slightly above 6k etc.

That's the only way orange line makes sense. Otherwise as others have pointed out, it makes no sense to have graph pointing downwards for Thar when Jan sales are more than Dec sales
sanchari is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 22:23   #21
BHPian

The sales figures show what Suzuki felt all along. The Jimny in its current guise would not sell in India. And the lack of economy of scale and low incentives for localisation would mean high costs. It is only due to push from Suzuki India marketing and product planning team, they launched it in India. And it has become an export only vehicle just like what the 3 door version was. Suzuki will not make losses as export sales will earn them more than from India but a brand name gets sullied because of short sightedness of Suzuki India team which had no idea about tastes of the average swag loving Indian customer in this segment. Of course, niche customers who know their stuff will buy the Jimny but sales will remain in hundreds in India. What a waste!!
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 01:09   #22

The Jimny is a lifestyle vehicle just like the V Cross or for that matter the Hilux. And, it is an absolute gem! I've seen it in its natural habitat...off roading.

It is like a goat and literally jumps in excitement when asked to climb a hill...diagonal ruts be damned there's no stopping this animal. Yes, lack of grunt is evident in certain situations but with its off road tech its able to dig itself out more often than not. Even the ancient 4 speed auto doesn't seem to bog it down much.

So, yeah it's not selling well but it is ending up with the right people who know what they want...in the sense that people who don't go to the showroom to get a Swift and then change their minds and get the Jimny. No, they go to the showroom to get themselves a Jimny...nothing else!

I'm just glad that it's there on our roads as I never thought I'll see one ever! Hope Suzuki does not pull the plug on this one. And also, let it be in Nexa and not in Arena, it'll murder the brand. End of story.
Lifeographer84 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 01:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think folks are missing the point here, these are likely MY23 India spec 5 door cars that inventory has likely dried up for. From the news articles being shared I'm assuming they are building kits for other countries where it's being launched since I've not heard of any MY24 India spec cars being delivered yet.

Maruti makes more monies by selling them abroad more likely, so let's wait and see when the MY24 deliveries start to understand sales trends.
Old 15th February 2024, 08:00   #24
BHPian

Ideally, Maruti should have just sold the Jimny as a two door vehicle like the Thar. It would have looked better (In my opinion) and sold better as it would definitely be cheaper and probably better performing being lighter. Maruti really needs to up their game with the engine though, it can't match the torque of Thar's diesel or petrol.
yuvmudapa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 09:09   #25

Recently, I visited Kaziranga and had the chance to take a safari in a Gypsy. It was a wonderful machine: very agile, nimble, and easy to maneuver in tough terrain.
A two-door Jimny could have been a successful successor to the Gypsy, much like how the current Baleno is doing wonders for Maruti.
Now, the Jimny is going to give Ignis company as a "Sales Dud." This feels like a missed opportunity from Maruti, I would say.
Old 15th February 2024, 09:35   #26

For a buyer like me , it was always dead on arrival , specially for the below reasons !
1) It looks tiny/puny and has no road presence apart from the novelty of a new model. My first reaction on seeing jimmy in flesh went very quickly from wow a new car , looks cool to it looks like a toy.
2) Now couple this with the price ! if launched at 8-9 lakhs, it would have seen takers as a cool funky car ( I am not even taking about the capabilities because simply put, the average car buyer , which constitutes the bulk will never take it offroad ).
3) Thar literally mauls this car in terms of size looks and roadpresence.
My analysis is probably too layman but in my opinion what exactly what I felt as a buyer looking for my second vehicle.
revival is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 09:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

But I didn't expect such a poor response. Maybe it's the pricing that's holding back a few more enthusiasts from getting it (only enthusiasts would buy this car, normal walk in customers won't).
Thar is perceived as a cut price wrangler that is superior to original Wrangler in many levels (build quality, GNCAP, etc)

Jimny is perceived as an overpriced Brezza that is inferior to not just Thar and Brezza but even the original gypsy at many levels.

Jimmy is a case study of how corporate greed / pricing and poor marketing bombs what otherwise is a pretty sorted product.
vellatechie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 09:42   #28
BHPian

MSIL killed a competent car with plenty of character with greedy pricing and a miscalculated launch strategy. There was always enough interest in the market and many would have bought the Jimny as a 2nd car vs the competition even with compromises if the price was right. I would have taken the jump but I felt that the ask was too much.

With its market share MSIL can survive a failure or two but Shashank Srivatsava or whoever was behind this fiasco have to retrospect and realize that due respect and consideration has to be given to the market and the customer even if they are a market leader today.
clementj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 10:10   #29
BHPian

This reminds me of Marazzo. A promising option BUT lost only because it was pitched (at least for comparisons) against a proven, more powerful and aspirational product - Innova.

Atleast Maruti should have learnt from its S-Cross experience where it was pitched against Creta and Duster. Agreed, 1.6L Multijet was a great engine, but the body style couldn't win any battles with more well proportioned options.

Comparison with Thar is the biggest mistake. Thar is a decision made by heart and Maruti could never entice such customers. Rather, it should have positioned Jimny as a step up for all those customers coming from hatchbacks and sedans - an affordable, not intimidating but still offering offroad capabilities with 4x4 - all this backed by their service network, resale value and Jimny's legacy would have done wonders. I believe Maruti yet again lost a great opportunity to carve out a niche segment for itself with Jimny - it could have been the Swift moment.

Sadly, Indian market doesn't offer second chances and Maruti doesn't persist with such products for too long.

On a lighter note, Thar is turning out to be the Classic 350 of 4Wheelers. Fiascos like above make the case for Thar super strong and thats how fan boys are made.
A lot of such fan base for Classic 350 can also be attributed to failed attempts of Honda and Jawa to challenge RE but only helped it further strengthen its positioning and sales of Classic 350.

Last edited by atluri_rkc : 15th February 2024 at 10:14.
atluri_rkc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 10:24   #30
BHPian

2L discount price should be standard, else it will tank further with upcoming 5 door Thar.

Jimny was launched too late in Indian market and to pricey and thay too 4 seater.

Previous Gypsy has better specs on paper (excluding the new suspension ) and is more utilitarian oriented
iskandariya is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks