Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2024, 11:22   #1
Team-BHP Support

Something good about a car you hate and something bad about a car you love

We love some cars, and we hate some. Be it first impressions or long-term ownership, we make up our minds about a particular vehicle and that sticks. But at the end of the day, a car is a piece of machinery that a like-minded enthusiast designed. And not everything is perfect. There’s always going to be something bad in the best car in the world and there’s going to be something good in the worst car in the world. Here are my thoughts on the same.

Something good about the car I hate – This one’s easy, the Hyundai Aura. I have not liked the car since the time I saw pictures of it online and my opinion didn't change after driving it. The only good thing about the Aura was the turbo-petrol engine which was discontinued after the BS6.2 emission norms kicked in. The diesel that was available during the time of launch has also been axed and while it wasn’t the most powerful, it added an extra bit of weight to the front end which gave some enthusiastic drivers some extra confidence in the corners. The car has a horrible design that’s all over the place IMO. There's nothing extraordinary about the interiors and the car is powered by a boring 1.2L petrol engine. The only good thing I can think of about the Aura is that it gets 6 airbags as standard.

Something good about a car you hate and something bad about a car you love-2023hyundaiaurafacelift04.jpg

Something bad about the car I love – Jeep Compass has been on my list of favourites since the first time I drove it for the review. It’s just a great all-rounder! It has a tough build, powerful engine, sorted ride and handling, precise steering, premium interiors, plenty of features, etc. There’s not much to hate about the car except for the price that it’s currently going at. Apart from that, the only gripe I can think of about the Compass is the 9-speed automatic transmission which isn’t that fun to use. The 6-speed MT is much preferred.

Something good about a car you hate and something bad about a car you love-2017jeepcompass01.jpg

Note – These are just my opinions and not something worth debating on. So, let’s look at cars objectively and share something good about a car you hate and something bad about a car you love.
Omkar is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 11:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Something good about a car you hate and something bad about a car you love

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Omkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 11:57   #3
BHPian

I’ll only include cars I’ve used personally for considerable durations of time.

1. Car I dislike- The suspension tuning in the Jeep Meridian.

For a car which has thoroughly disappointed me on multiple occasions- from the dim witted transmission to the non-existent FE and poor reliability, I love cruising down the typical patchy Indian highways in the Meridian. Superbly calibrated ride and handling package.

2. Car I’m fond of- The gear selector in my GLE.

The car is built like a tank, rides like a sofa and has been a pleasure to live with. But for someone who shifts between multiple Japanese and German cars, the Merc just adds another thing to learn and implement while driving.
revsperminute is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 12:05   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I love Merc's and Beamers a lot. I just love their designs and keep dreaming about them. What I hate about them is their price and their cost of maintenance

I love my car a lot which is Ertiga Zxi+. It's just a beautiful car and I am 100% happy with it. Only thing I miss (hate) is it don't come with sunroof.

Most current Hyundai cars I hate for their designs but I like their interiors. They have some nice interiors in most of their cars with good finish.
Old 6th February 2024, 12:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Say something good about a car you hate and something bad about a car you love

Nice thread idea as it’s important to separate the heart from the head sometimes.

Citroën ë-C3 (one of the few cars I dislike from the bottom of my heart)
The front-end looks smart, the dashboard is fairly modern, and the ride is reportedly comfortable. The infotainment system seems good. It will get more safety features soon. It’s still far nicer than small EVs from not too long ago.

Škoda Slavia (love at first sight)
It’s probably not as easy on the pocket to own as rivals. It’s very surprising for the price that side airbags are not standard. The interior plastic finish doesn’t match the ambience. The rear is quite plain compared to rivals.
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 12:31   #6
BHPian

Re: Something good about a car you hate and something bad about a car you love

Interesting thread

Car I hated was a 2000 model Ceilo (I guess) pre-owned, which I bought by saving money for months and spent a lot of time with mechanics during my off days. Loved it, for the reason that I came to know about the mechanics of the car, helped me to DIY stuff on that and created loads memories for life. Hated it because it was a money pit.

Car I love is my present 2005 Model Montero (Pre-owned), almost 20 years old, 3.5L on the ODO. Extremely no-nonsense car, heavy steering, powerful engine, 4x4 with Diff Locks, feels robust, with minimal electronics stuff and always grounded to the road. Carried out some long long drives across countries with no issues. Basic repairs I carry out myself, until I don’t need to lift it up. I hate that the OEM spare parts are super expensive, when it comes for replacement, especially mechanical ones.
NomadSK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 12:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
something good about a car you hate and something bad about a car you love
I'll not use the word hate, but will instead use the phrase not my best preferred

Good about cars that are not my best preferred

1. Tata Safari dicor, Safari Storme, current Safari - they all look "two" good in off-white, have a commanding road presence, nice console layout too
2. MG Hector - really well styled on the inside
3. All Hyundais, Venue, Creta, Alcazar especially- Hyundai knows how to woo the market with their designs, features etc.
4. Ford Explorer - Supreme comfort for occupants in all three rows
5. Daewoo Cielo - the smoothest ride I've ever had in any car in India

Bad about cars that I like (not love)

1. Toyota Corolla - 9th gen had bad handling, a long hood, small ORVMs, 11th gen looks weird on the inside; 10th and 11th gen have poor reliability with respect to premature failure of ignition coils and failure of the radiator inlet bypass pipe joints. All gens have had pathetic audio set ups
2. Toyota Innova Crysta - dash looks bland on the G variant from 2016 till date
3. Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - very basic looking console, no cabin air filter, very difficult for a technician to work on the engine side, very expensive OE parts (even at legitimate prices, they're priced high)
4. Suzuki Grand Vitara - poor NVH, low fuel efficiency
5. Maruti Ertiga - current engine, build quality
6. Suzuki Jimny - pricey
7. Jeep Compass - reliability is a question mark on recently built ones, but I'm still in awe of the famous red ones on the forum
8. BMW X5 - a poor second row experience
9. MG Astor - the engine and transmission combo, and sales numbers
10. VW Passat, Jetta - premature failure of parts; not acceptable for the "engineering" that this brand is known for
11. Mahindra Marazzo - the driveshaft is pricey, and long term reliability is unknown
12. Premier Padmini - an attention seeker; would require frequent attention for minor fixes

Last edited by vigsom : 6th February 2024 at 13:08.
vigsom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 12:49   #8
BHPian

There will be more than one entries from my side -

CARS THAT I LOVE -

1. Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI - Amazing machine but really poor AC and noisy engine
2. Scorpio classic - Bhaukal vehicle but very bad ride quality
3. ScorpioN/XUV700 - Very capable modern machines but so many niggles/quality issue specially in the higher trims
4. New Verna 1.5 Turbo - gives you thrills but this two spoke Steering is bad copy of lovely steering of Skoda Slavia.
5. Slavia/Virtus - every thing is good except poor AC (yes it is still poor after the update).

CAR THAT I HATE -

1. Duster (initial batch) - Except best ride quality, nothing that I like. After the facelift, even the ride quality wasn't the best.
Old 6th February 2024, 13:44   #9
BHPian

Category 1 - Fly in the ointment:
1. MG Comet - Flimsy & unstable, underwhelming performance
2. Renault Kiger / Nissan Magnite - Built to a cost, poor NVH
3. Hyundai Verna - Design
4. VW Virtus - Reliability
5. Seltos - No MT with the turbo petrol
6. Tata Safari - Niggles and poor ASS
7. Ioniq 5 - No engine
8. BMW M340i - No MT

Category 2 - Ointment in the fly:
1. Maruti S-presso - Peppy motor
2. Citroen eC3, C3, C3 Aircross - Mechanically sound, well priced
3. Maruti Celerio - Nothing really. Maruti backing, perhaps?
CentreOfGravity is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 15:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Car I Hated: Tata Indica hands down. The engine growling even in idling used to be heard miles away. But the good part of the car was the space, could easily sit 6 with 4 at the back. Was a people carrier.

Cars I loved: Fiat Punto. The super hatchback was a beauty, add to that the handling, the HPS made the car a fun to drive. But the HU was literally boring and along with the not so ergonomic driver seat made the car a downer when on long trips.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 17:44   #11
ike
BHPian

The Innova crysta is a car I like and I'd have bought one too had they not discontinued the diesel AT. However, the interiors are very vanilla, more like plain Dal tadka you get in northern India. You know it isn't unhealthy but isn't very exciting either. I'd rather have something sinful and exciting.

Last edited by ike : 6th February 2024 at 17:45.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 17:55   #12
BHPian

Something good about the car I hate

Fortuner. I hate the ride quality. Interiors. Center console, music system,2nd row seats.

But I just love the presence of the car. Menacing looks!

Something bad about the car I love

I love Jeep compass for just about everything.

But the automatic gearshift is a let down. So is the turning radius. I struggle to park with my compass in the same spot where I used to park my XUV with ease.
Old 7th February 2024, 10:28   #13
BHPian

Something bad about the car I love:
Engine and transmission in my Kwid. 😄 I like pretty much everything else about my car. The design, space it offers, dashboard layout, suspension. But the engine noise , vibrations and jerkiness of gear shifts make it very difficult to drive around town.
Something good about the car I hate:
I absolutely hate spresso - The way it looks from the front, how tall and narrow it is, the interiors etc. Maruti at that time was like : Indians will buy anything with a Suzuki badge so we're not going to put much effort into designing the car. The thing I hate about the Kwid is what I love about the spresso. Sometimes you mistake it for an electric car. It's so much refined and joy to drive. I think same applies for all maruti cars.
Old 7th February 2024, 10:31   #14
BHPian

Cars that I like, but with a caveat:
1) Creta pre-facelift: I just cannot look past the front fascia(looks). But once inside, I dont have a problem with it, be it the interiors or it's driving manners.
2) Hyundai Verna: That 2 spoke steering column. For some reason, I have a mental block for 2 spoke steerings.
3) Innova: For a car that charges you a kidney, limb et all, the interiors sure don't match up. It's like they turbo charged the word "meh" and designed the interiors with that in mind.
4) New age Maruti Suzuki engines: Just hate them. Lost all it’s characteristic charm.

Something good about cars that I dont really like:
1) Baleno: Never really liked the car, but it had a much spacious interior in comparison to Dzire.
2) Nano: For an oddball of a car, it sure was nimble. Very fun to drive car.

PS: Opinions are strictly personal. Cheers
R4m4kr15hn4n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 10:44   #15

I Own X6

Something good about the car I hate: Lack of features for a 1.3cr car, like no keyless entry (c'mon my verna have it) seat massage , HUD

Something bad about the car I love :- Engine, How smooth and fast it is, despite being so huge in size

tyres, i love big & wide tyres which perfectly matches with the body size

sound & handling , ofc its BMW so handling gonna be 10/10

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks