Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2023, 17:54   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Driving with temporary registration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post
The dealer is ready to deliver the car to me with a temporary number plate of Daman and he is asking me to wait for 7 days for the actual registration number and once that arrives, he will send someone to my place and get the number plate updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Few years back, the rules for the temporary registrations have been amended. Now it’s no more legal to drive with temporary registration number and pasted on the vehicle. Hence it will be considered as a traffic offense.
No offence, one can take the car anywhere. If you have noticed, temporary numbers are also done online via Vahan only. It has a validity of usually One month.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 18:16   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It has a validity of usually One month.
When we got our car delivered with a TR last year, its validity was 6 months. And the showroom said 6 months is the standard validity now.
Old 7th July 2023, 18:23   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
When we got our car delivered with a TR last year, its validity was 6 months. And the showroom said 6 months is the standard validity now.
Some dealerships say this, it's probably mentioned on the receipt too. But practically, traffic cops create problems. Haven't tried beyond Six months, so I mentioned - usually
Old 22nd November 2023, 15:54   #124
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Looking for advise here !

I took delivery of my FL Seltos IVT on 7th October.
Though I am based out of Gurgaon [HR98], Haryana but for a faster delivery I found the stock available with a dealer in Ghaziabad,UP and got the delivery from them on Temporary Registration.

Since, I am waiting for a Choice/Fancy number which has significance to me and the number got randomly registered to someone on 5th October [missed it by 2 days], I am still driving on Temporary Registration only.
Now as per Haryana State Rules I can get that number allocated to me out of queue with additional fee only from the current series or wait until next series is open. Current, it is "HR98M XXXX" and I have to wait until "HR98N" is open.

Meanwhile, we have paid the registration tax to the Haryana Authority also on 18th Oct and only Registration Number is pending [ I have a receipt from the dealer but I don't understand how is that possible ]

My Problem - I am due to travel to Rajasthan this week and not sure if I can drive with temporary registration ; and there have been mixed opinions on this with internet stating that temporary registration is valid for 1 month and dealer is suggesting that it has been revised to 6 months and you have paid the registration tax also, so need not worry.

Anyone with any knowledge in this case ? Thank you in advance.
Old 22nd November 2023, 20:49   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead23 View Post
Anyone with any knowledge in this case ?
Pls check the X (formerly tweet) from MORTH, I hope things haven’t been changed since.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving with temporary registration?-img_6475.jpeg  

Last edited by NomadSK : 22nd November 2023 at 20:55.
Old 23rd November 2023, 22:15   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Pls check the X (formerly tweet) from MORTH, I hope things haven’t been changed since.
Thank you NomadSK for sharing this ! The time stamp of notification helped me find the right amendment on Morth Website.

I am sharing the amendment document link below for everyone and the said rule can be found out on Page 43 - Section 34 Rule 53B (2)

https://morth.nic.in/sites/default/f...cles%20%20.pdf
Motorhead23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 21:07   #127
BHPian

Hi All, I'm planning to buy a car from a Hyundai dealer in Bangalore. I asked them to get the TR completed as I plan to register the car in another city, Pondy as I have an address proof - Aadhaar.
I made all the necessary payments as they demanded and now they are telling me that the RTOs in Bangalore are not giving TRs for Pondicherry. I have been running around for the past week along with the dealership guy to different RTOs, but everyone in the RTO is saying that they will not give a TR for PY (mainly due to them losing the road tax revenue). It looks like there were cases of high-end cars registered in Pondy in the past and they have come up with their own rule to not issue TR to anyone, especially if it's for Pondy.

I'm having sleepless nights as I paid the money believing that the dealer would get the work done and I see that they are just dragging it with no visible solution - It looks to me like they are hinting at paying additional money to get the work done, which I'm not willing to as they committed to get this work done at the time of booking and now they do not want to rub shoulders with the RTO team and try to put me in between to handle it by myself by paying money. Please suggest what I can do as the next steps to resolve this issue.

Last edited by mail2vm : 12th December 2023 at 21:10.
Old 20th May 2024, 10:59   #128
BHPian

I think you are looking at buying a car at Bangalore and registering it in Pondicherry to save on the road tax difference. I’d suggest you to rather make the purchase at Pondicherry itself.

The temporary registration thing is working full swing in Gurgaon RTO (seen many cars bearing TR) because they have a huge demand for high end luxury cars. And the RTO offices have been made happy (read bribes) with the idea by dealers.

This is not a practice in other cities and you will face all the difficulties which you are facing.

In my analysis, the dealer just took a chance knowing that if things don’t work out with a temporary registration, then you will register it in Bangalore anyway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks